• Topic Title

• Topic description
Challenge fellow quizzers by posting your favourite questions and quizzes here.

Moderators: playgirl, JUS, rodbox

#103008 by IAN B
Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:18 am
Possibly a bit easier this week - PM your answers
01. WHICH COLOUR, THAT CAN ALSO BE A WOMAN’S NAME, LINKS SONGS BY SEAL, HOLE, McFLY AND COLDPLAY? VIOLET
02. WHICH AMERICAN CITY IS THE HOME OF SPORTS TEAMS CALLED THE FIRE, CUBS AND BLACKHAWKS? CHICAGO
03. WHICH RIVER PROVIDES THE MAJORITY OF THE WATER USED IN THE PRODUCTION OF SCOTCH WHISKY? THE SPEY
04. PICTURE 1 GIVES ACRYPTIC CLUE TO THE TITLE OF WHICH FILM? "SPACE JAM"
05. WHAT IS THE MOST EATEN FRUIT IN THE WORLD? BANANA
06. WHICH TELEVISION STAR IS THE UNUSUAL CHOICE TO BE “PLAYBOYâ€Â￾ MAGAZINE’S NEXT CENTREFOLD? MARGE SIMPSON
07. IN WHICH YEAR DID THE FOLLOWING SONGS TOP THE UK CHARTS – “ALL KINDS OF EVERYTHINGâ€Â￾ BY DANA, “WAND’RIN’ STARâ€Â￾ BY LEE MARVIN AND “SPIRIT IN THE SKYâ€Â￾ BY NORMAN GREENBAUM? 1970
08. IN WHICH SPORT COULD YOU WATCH THE GIRO D’ITALIA AND THE VUELTA A ESPANA? CYCLING
09. THE CITY OF WASHINGTON DC LIES ON THE BORDER BETWEEN TWO US STATES, NAME ONE OF THEM. MARYLAND and VIRGINIA
10. :arrow:
11. THE SPORTSMAN SHOWN IN PICTURE 2, WHO HAS BEEN MENTIONED IN SONG LYRICS, WAS FAMOUSLY MARRIED TO WHO? MARILYN MONROE - it's Joe DiMaggio
12. NAME THE YEAR. RUSSIA BEGAN ITS’ PROGAMME OF PERESTROIKA, “THIS MORNINGâ€Â￾ MADE ITS’ TV DEBUT AND THE NETHERLANDS WERE FOOTBALL’S EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS. 1988
13. ON THE COVER OF THE BEATLES’ “ABBEY ROADâ€Â￾ ALBUM WHICH BEATLE IS LEADING THE WAY ACROSS THE ZEBRA CROSSING? JOHN LENNON
14. OF THE CURRENT PREMIERSHIP FOOTBALL CLUBS WHICH WAS THE FIRST TO WIN THE FOOTBALL LEAGUE? EVERTON
15. NAME THE COUNTRY SHOWN IN PICTURE 3. CROATIA
16. WHICH ACTOR HAS BEEN THE LONGEST SERVING DR WHO? TOM BAKER
17. IF YOU ARE A PRACTISING SOMNAMBULIST WHAT DO YOU DO REGULARLY? SLEEPWALK
18. WHO AM I? BORN MICHAEL HOLBROOK PENNIMAN Jr IN BEIRUT IN 1983 TO LEBANESE AND AMERICAN PARENTS, I AM BEST KNOWN BY MY CHILDHOOD NICKNAME. A GRADUATE OF THE ROYAL COLLEGE OF MUSIC, I RELEASED MY FIRST RECORD IN 2006, HAVING MY FIRST UK No1 A YEAR LATER. MIKA
19. CHEFS FROM ACROSS THE WORLD HAVE GATHERED IN SCOTLAND TO COMPETE FOR THE GOLDEN SPURTLE, AN AWARD IN PREPARING WHAT? PORRIDGE
20. WHEN SWEDE JOEL STEFANSSON DRUNKENLY AGREED TO LET A TATTOO ARTIST CREATE ANY DESIGN HE WANTED, WHAT DID HE WAKE UP TO FIND? A PENIS (next to and larger than his own!!)
TIE BREAKER (nearest answer wins)
21. THE NORTH ATLANTIC RIGHT WHALE HAS THE LARGEST TESTICLES OF ANY MAMMAL, HOW MUCH, IN POUNDS, DO THEY WEIGH? 2300lbs

And the scores on the doors....
JUS 10 (tie breaker 500lbs)
BUZZIE 13 (55lbs)
LITTLE MO 16 (15lbs)
ROB_BOB 16 (100lbs)
and the winner...FEEY 17 (1100lbs)

#103169 by IAN B
Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:51 pm
Another offering from The Man In Black - PM your answers

01. WHAT DAY OF THE WEEK LINKS UK HIT SINGLES BY THE MONKEES, SMALL FACES AND OASIS? SUNDAY
02. WHICH TWO SPORTS HAVE BEEN RE-ADMITTED TO THE SUMMER OLYMPICS FOR THE 2016 GAMES IN RIO DE JANEIRO? GOLF & RUGBY UNION SEVENS
03. PICTURE 1 SHOWS AN AERIAL VIEW OF WHICH FAMOUS LANDMARK AND TOURIST ATTRACTION? ALCATRAZ
04. IN WHICH TELEVISION PROGRAMME IS THE LOCAL PUB, THE FEATHERS, OFTEN MENTIONED, BUT NEVER SEEN? "THE ROYLE FAMILY"
05. ON THE UK FOOTBALL POOLS HOW MANY POINTS DO YOU GET FOR A SCORE DRAW? 3
06. WHICH CHILDREN’S TELEVISION PROGRAMME, OF WHICH ONLY 13 EPISODES WERE EVER MADE, IS TO BE REMADE? "BAGPUSS"
07. IN WHICH YEAR DID THE FOLLOWING SONGS TOP THE UK CHARTS – “SUPER TROUPERâ€Â￾ BY ABBA, “THE THEME FROM M*A*S*Hâ€Â￾ AND
“GENOâ€Â￾ BY DEXY’S MIDNIGHT RUNNERS? 1980
08. PICTURE 2 SHOWS THE BADGE OF WHICH FOOTBALL CLUB? REAL MADRID
09. WHICH AMERICAN STATE TAKES ITS’ CURRENT NAME FROM A TRANSLATION OF ‘GREEN MOUNTAIN’? VERMONT
11. IN 1947 WHAT WAS ADDED TO PINBALL MACHINES? FLIPPERS
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE EUROPEAN COMMUNITY FIRST USED THE EUROPEAN FLAG, “TODAYâ€Â￾ BECAME THE FIRST BRITISH NEWSPAPER TO
PRINT COLOURED PICTURES AND ALEX FERGUSON JOINED MANCHESTER UNITED. 1986
13. ACCORDING TO THE TRADITIONAL 1900s SONG, “ALL THE NICE GIRLS LOVE A .....â€Â￾ WHAT? SAILOR....a Travs answer of "a large chicken" puzzled a few!! ;-)
14. OF THE CURRENT PREMIERSHIP FOOTBALL MANAGERS HOW MANY HAVE PLAYED AT FULL INTERNATIONAL LEVEL – 6,7 OR 8? 7
15. ORIGINALLY GROWN IN ASIA, 90% OF THE WORLD’S COMMERCIALLY GROWN RHUBARB NOW COMES FROM WHERE? WEST YORKSHIRE - "The Rhubarb Triangle"
16. NAME THE CELEBRITY SHOWN IN HIS YOUNGER DAYS IN PICTURE 3. TOM CRUISE
17. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING IS A REAL SPORT OR PASTIME – BUNGEE BRIDGE, CHESS BOXING OR STRIP GOLF? CHESS BOXING - very annoying when "The One Show" 'steals' my subjects the Friday before the quiz
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN LONDON IN 1959, I WAS THE YOUNGEST EVER STAND-UP TO HOST A WEST END SHOW. I MOVED INTO TELEVISION,
AS BOTH A WRITER AND ACTOR, IN THE EARLY 80s. I HAVE WRITTEN SEVERAL POPULAR COMEDY PROGRAMMES AS WELL AS WORKING IN
FILMS, MUSICALS AND AS A NOVELIST. BEN ELTON
19. GENIOPHOBIA IS THE FEAR OF WHICH PART OF THE HUMAN BODY? THE CHIN
20. REACHING 111.6 DECIBELS, A CAMBRIDGESHIRE WOMAN HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED AS HAVING BRITAIN’S LOUDEST WHAT? SNORE
21. ACCORDING TO SHEFFIELD COUNCIL, HOW MANY DIFFERENT LANGUAGES ARE CURRENTLY SPOKEN IN SHEFFIELD SCHOOLS? 128

And the scores were.....
JUS 9 (tie breaker 45)
ROB_BOB 15 (5 - you've obviously never been to Sheffield)
BIG AL 17 (38 )
and the winner.....
LITTLE MO 17(98 )

#103324 by IAN B
Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:30 am
Bit of a short week this week as I've just found my way back from an awesome American Football weekend in London, having left my quiz in the "capable" hands of other.....PM the answers

01. WHAT WORD LINKS HOT CHOCOLATE’S “THINGâ€Â￾, JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE’S “BACKâ€Â￾ AND DR HOOK’S “EYESâ€Â￾? SEXY
02. WHICH PREMIERSHIP FOOTBALL GROUND SHARES ITS’ NAME WITH A VIKING BATTLE IN NORTH YORKSHIRE? STAMFORD BRIDGE
03. BY WHAT NAME IS THE UNITED STATES BULLION DEPOSITORY BETTER KNOWN? FORT KNOX
04. WHAT TWO FOODSTUFFS ARE USED FOR SCORING ON THE TELEVISION SHOW “READY, STEADY, COOKâ€Â￾? GREEN PEPPERS & RED TOMATOES
05. NAME THE CELEBRITY SHOWN IN PICTURE 1. KATIE PRICE aka JORDAN
06. A NINE YEAR OLD GIRL HAS BECOME THE FIRST CHILD TO DESIGN A BRITISH COIN, WHICH WILL BE ISSUED TO COMMEMORATE WHAT EVENT? 2012 OLYMPICS
07. IN WHICH YEAR DID THE FOLLOWING SONGS TOP THE UK CHARTS – “MIGHTY QUINNâ€Â￾ BY MANFRED MANN, “EVERLASTING LOVEâ€Â￾ BY LOVE AFFAIR AND “THOSE WERE THE DAYSâ€Â￾ BY MARY HOPKIN? 1968
08. IN 1995 WHICH COUNTRY PROVIDED THE WINNERS OF THE WIMBLEDON LADIES’ SINGLES TITLE, THE FORMULA 1 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP AND THE WORLD LEAGUE OF AMERICAN FOOTBALL? GERMANY
09. NAME THE COUNTRY SHOWN IN PICTURE 2. RUSSIA
11. WHICH CHARACTER IN “ALICE IN WONDERLANDâ€Â￾ SUFFERED FROM NARCOLEPSY? THE DORMOUSE - it's randomly falling asleep
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE FIRST FRISBEE WAS PRODUCED, STANLEY MATTHEWS PLAYED HIS FINAL INTERNATIONAL AND SNOOKER PLAYER STEVE DAVIS WAS BORN. 1957
13. :arrow:
14. 1984 WAS THE ONLY TIME THAT THE BBC SPORTS PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR AWARD WAS NOT WON BY A SINGLE PERSON, WHO WERE
THE WINNERS? TORVILL & DEAN
15. FAMOUSLY MENTIONED IN THE BIBLE, IN WHICH COUNTRY WOULD YOU FIND MOUNT SINAI? EGYPT
16. WITH WOULD TELEVISION PROGRAMME WOULD YOU MOST ASSOCIATE FABLON? "BLUE PETER" - it's the trade name for sticky back plastic
17. TRUE OR FALSE – THE BOY BAND BLUE ARE THE SUBJECT OF A TRIBUTE ACT IN DENMARK CALLED ‘DANISH BLUE’? FALSE - but a great question
18. WHO AM I? I WAS BORN IN BELFAST IN 1960. I INITIALLY WORKED AS A STAGE ACTOR BEFORE MOVING INTO TV AND THEN MAKING MY FILM DEBUT IN THE LATE 80s. THE FOUNDER OF MY OWN THEATRE COMPANY, I HAVE BEEN NOMINATED FOR FOUR OSCARS AND WAS
MARRIED TO AN OSCAR WINNER. KENNETH BRANAGH
19. WHAT LEAD TO THE RESIGNATION OF THE ENTIRE POLICE FORCE IN THE HUNGARIAN TOWN OF BUDAORS? THEY WON THE LOTTERY
20. A NORTH YORSKHIRE HYPNOTIST CLAIMS HE HAS THE ABILITY TO
HELP WOMEN DO WHAT? MAKE THEIR BREASTS BIGGER
21. AT THE BOSTON TEA PARTY HOW MANY TEA CHESTS WERE THROWN FROM THE SHIPS? 342

And the scores were.....
JUS 4 :shock: (tie breaker 127)
BUZZIE 12 (176)
And the winner...
BIG AL 18 (320)

#103399 by IAN B
Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:50 am
Another offering from The Travs, which my regulars found disappointingly easy - PM your answers

01. WHAT DIRECTION LINKS UK HIT SINGLES BY THE VILLAGE PEOPLE, THE PET SHOP BOYS AND ELO? WEST
02. THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL TEAM OF WHICH COUNTRY IS SOMETIMES CALLED THE ‘AZZURRI’? ITALY
03. IN WHICH OCEAN COULD YOU FIND THE ISLAND GROUP, THE SEYCHELLES? INDIAN OCEAN
04. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE AMERICAN VERSION OF THE TV SHOW “STRICTLY COME DANCINGâ€Â￾? "DANCING WITH THE STARS"
05. WHICH ENGLISH ROYAL HOUSE BEGAN WITH HENRY VII AND ENDED WITH THE DEATH OF QUEEN ELIZABETH? TUDOR
06. WHICH PUBLICATION, THAT BEGAN AS HANDMADE, BUT SOLD OVER A MILLION COPIES AT ITS’ PEAK, HAS JUST CELEBRATED ITS’
30th BIRTHDAY? "VIZ"
07. IN WHICH YEAR DID THE FOLLOWING SONGS TOP THE UK CHARTS – “PERFECTâ€Â￾ BY FAIRGROUND ATTRACTION, “FIRST TIMEâ€Â￾ BY
ROBIN BECK AND “DESIREâ€Â￾ BY U2? 1988
08. WHICH AMERICAN CITY IS HOME TO SPORTS TEAMS CALLED THE MARINERS, SUPERSONICS AND SOUNDERS? SEATTLE
09. NAME THE EASTERN EUROPEAN COUNTRY SHOWN IN PICTURE 1. ESTONIA
11. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING IS NOT A CHARACTER FROM CHARLES DICKENS' NOVELS – HARBOTTLE GRIMSTON, WACKFORD SQUEERS OR
DICK SWIVELLER? HARBOTTLE GRIMSTON (he's a real person)
12. NAME THE YEAR. NEIL KINNOCK WAS ELECTED LEADER OF THE LABOUR PARTY, MICHAEL JACKSON’S “THRILLERâ€Â￾ VIDEO WAS FIRST BROADCAST AND WEMBLEY STADIUM HOSTED ITS’ FIRST AMERICAN FOOTBALL MATCH. 1983
13. WITH WHICH BAND WOULD YOU ASSOCIATE THE PERSON SHOWN IN PICTURE 2? ROLLING STONES - it's drummer Charlie Watts
14. WHICH FOOTBALL CLUB, NOW PLAYING IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP, WAS THE FIRST IN ENGLAND TO HAVE AN ALL-SEATER STADIUM? COVENTRY CITY
15. WHICH ENGLISH MONARCH LINKS THE CAPITALS OF HONG KONG, BRITISH COLUMBIA AND THE SEYCHELLES? VICTORIA
16. WHICH FORMER “EASTENDERSâ€Â￾ CHARACTER ALSO FEATURED IN THE OSCAR WINNING FILM “GLADIATORâ€Â￾? WELLARD
17. PICTURE 3 SHOWS THE LOGO OF WHAT? TWITTER
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN HAMPSHIRE IN 1925 AND CHRISTENED RICHARD, I WAS BEST KNOWN BY MY CHILDHOOD NICKNAME. MY FIRST
TASTE OF SHOWBIZ WAS AS PART OF A FAMILY VARIETY ACT. AFTER SERVING IN THE AIRFORCE, I WORKED ON STAGE AND RADIO BEFORE
MY FILM DEBUT IN THE 50s. I DIED IN 1980. PETER SELLARS
19. A COLORADO NEWSPAPER HAS ADVERTISED FOR A PERSON TO WRITE REVIEWS OF WHAT? MARIJUANA
20. A CAMBRIDGESHIRE SHOPKEEPER PREVENTED A TEENAGER FROM BUYING WHAT, CLAIMING THAT HE WAS TOO YOUNG? WINE GUMS
21. IN 2000 HOW MANY LOST UMBRELLAS WERE FOUND ON LONDON TRANSPORT? 9279

Just caught th couple of late entries, leaving scores of...
BUZZIE 13 (tie breaker 9645)
LITTLE MO 15 (15500)
and the winner...
FEEY 17 (10000)
Last edited by IAN B on Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#103563 by IAN B
Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:58 pm
Here's this week's "brain botherer" from The Travs - PM your answers

01. BARRY BLUE DID IT “ON A SATURDAY NIGHTâ€Â￾, MARSHALL HAIN DID IT “IN THE CITYâ€Â￾ AND BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN DID IT “IN THE DARKâ€Â￾, WHAT IS IT? DANCING
02. WHICH COUNTRY HOSTED THE FIRST EVER MOTOR RACE REFERRED TO AS A GRAND PRIX? FRANCE
03. NAME THE COUNTRY SHOWN IN PICTURE 1. BRAZIL
04. ON WHICH TELEVISION PROGRAMME DID CAROL SMILLIE FIRST FIND FAME? "WHEEL OF FORTUNE"
05. ON THE BROWN TOURIST INFORMATION ROAD SIGNS WHAT ANIMAL IS USED TO SIGNIFY A ZOO? ELEPHANT
06. COLEEN AND WAYNE ROONEY HAD THEIR FIRST CHILD THIS WEEK, WHAT HAVE THEY CALLED IT? KAI WAYNE
07. IN WHICH YEAR DID THE FOLLOWING SONGS TOP THE UK CHARTS – “SPIRIT IN THE SKYâ€Â￾ BY DOCTOR & THE MEDICS, “WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGHâ€Â￾ BY BILLY OCEAN AND “THE CHICKEN SONGâ€Â￾ BY SPITTING IMAGE? 1986
08. NAME THE PERSON SHOWN IN PICTURE 2. STEVEN GERRARD - although walk down any street in Liverpool and you can see someone who looks like that!
09. MONTERREY WAS MADE FAMOUS BY ITS’ POP FESTIVAL, BUT IN WHICH US STATE IS MONERREY? CALIFORNIA
11. ON A STANDARD LONDON MONOPOLY BOARD WHAT IS THE FIRST RAILWAY STATION AFTER PASSING ‘GO’? KING'S CROSS
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE WARSAW PACT WAS OFFICIALLY DISSOLVED, THE LONDON MONARCHS WON AMERICAN FOOTBALL’S FIRST WORLD BOWL AND QUEEN FRONTMAN FREDDIE MERCURY DIED. 1991
13. TRUE OR FALSE – ASTRONAUT BUZZ ALDRIN PLAYED FRANK SINATRA’S “FLY ME TO THE MOONâ€Â￾ WHEN APOLLO 11 LANDED ON THE MOON? TRUE
14. WHICH POPULAR CARTOON CHARACTER’S NAME WAS INSPIRED BY A LEGENDARY BASEBALL PLAYER? YOGI BEAR
15. WHICH GERMAN CITY HAS MORE BRIDGES THAN ANY OTHER CITY IN EUROPE? HAMBURG
16. IN THE 70s TELEVISION SHOW “THE LIKELY LADSâ€Â￾ WHAT WERE THE LADS’ FIRST NAMES? BOB and TERRY
17. NAME THE FAMOUS PERSON SHOWN IN HER YOUNGER DAYS IN PICTURE 3. HILLARY CLINTON
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN GLASGOW IN 1949 I MOVED TO NEWCASTLE AGED 7. I WAS WORKING AS A JOURNALIST WHEN I JOINED MY FIRST BAND. ALONG WITH MY BROTHER I FORMED MY MOST FAMOUS BAND IN 1977, HAVING TWO No1 ALBUMS BEFORE OUR 1995 SPLIT. I HAVE PRODUCED THE MUSIC FOR TWO FILMS. [colr=red]MARK KNOPFLER[/color]
19. TRUE OR FALSE – BEFORE ARTIFICIAL SNOW WAS INVENTED FILM MAKERS USED WHITE PAINTED CORNFLAKES AS SNOW? TRUE
20. ACCORDING TO A RECENT SURVEY 5% OF 9-11 YEAR OLDS QUESTIONED THOUGHT ADOLF HITLER WAS WHAT? A GERMAN FOOTBALL MANAGER - what a wonderful education system we have :shock:
21. ACCORDING TO THE “GUINNESS BOOK OF RECORDSâ€Â￾ WHAT IS THE CURRENT RECORD, IN FEET AND INCHES, FOR SPITTING A CHERRY STONE?
100' 4"

And the scores were.....
BUZZIE 15 (tie breaker 111' 6")
FEEY 17 (100' 4")
And the winner...
LITTLE MO 18 (12'7")

#103671 by IAN B
Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:20 am
Here's this week's quiz - 14 won it in The Travs - PM your answers

01. WHAT WORD LINKS MIDGE URE’S “HEARTâ€Â￾, THIN LIZZY’S “SWEATâ€Â￾ AND ADELE’S “SHOULDERâ€Â￾? COLD
02. PICTURE 1 SHOWS THE BADGE OF WHICH SPORTS TEAM? ABERDEEN FC
03. IN WHICH ENGLISH SEASIDE RESORT DID THE FIRST BUTLIN’S HOLIDAY CAMP OPEN? SKEGNESS
04. PICTURE 2 GIVES A CRYPTIC CLUE TO WHICH FILM TITLE? "PINEAPPLE EXPRESS"
05. THE WORD ‘SINISTER’ IS DERIVED FROM LATIN AND DID NOT ORIGINALLY MEAN ‘EVIL’, WHAT DID IT MEAN? LEFT HANDED or LEFT SIDED
06. TRUE OR FALSE – THE TIPTON AMATEUR REPERTORY THEATRE SOCIETY HAVE BEEN FORCED TO CHANGE THEIR NAME AFTER
ACCUSATIONS OF SEXISM? TRUE
07. IN WHICH YEAR DID THE FOLLOWING SONGS TOP THE UK CHARTS – “UNDER THE MOON OF LOVEâ€Â￾ BY SHOWADDYWADDY, “MISSISSIPPIâ€Â￾
BY PUSSYCAT AND “ I LOVE TO LOVEâ€Â￾ BY TINA CHARLES? 1976
08. ARE THERE MORE NFL AMERICAN FOOTBALL TEAMS NAMED AFTER BIRDS OR CATS OR IS THERE AN EQUAL NUMBER OF EACH? BIRDS (5-4)
09. BETWEEN 1803-1856 WHICH WELL-KNOWN ISLAND WAS CALLED VAN DIEMEN’S LAND? TASMANIA
11. MARK ZUKERBERG IS REPUTEDLY THE WORLD’S YOUNGEST BILLIONAIRE, WHICH BOOK EARNED HIM HIS FORTUNE? FACEBOOK
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE CHANNEL TUNNEL WAS OPENED, BLACKPOOL PLEASURE BEACH’S “BIG ONEâ€Â￾ OPENED AND THE FORMER FOOTBALL MANAGER SIR MATT BUSBY DIED. 1994
13. TRUE OR FALSE – THE SINGER STING GOT HIS NICKNAME FROM THE FACT HE HAS A TATTOO OF A BEE ON HIS WRIST? FALSE
14. IN WHICH SPORT MIGHT YOU COMPETE FOR THE AIR CANADA SILVER BROOM TROPHY? CURLING
15. NAME THE COUNTRY SHOWN IN PICTURE 3. SYRIA
16. THE HORSE KHARTOUM HAD A HEADLINE ROLE IN WHICH FAMOUS FILM? "THE GODFATHER"
17. THE GREEK PHILOSOPHER ARISTOTLE CLAIMED THAT THE HUMAN MIND WAS IN WHAT PART OF THE BODY? THE HEAT
18. WHO AM I? BORN FREDERICK FOWELL IN LIVERPOOL IN 1943, I WAS THE SINGER IN A BAND MANAGED BY BRIAN EPSTEIN BEFORE
TURNING TO COMEDY. MY BIG BREAK CAME AT THE 1970 ROYAL VARIETY PERFORMANCE. IN 1986 I WAS THE SUBJECT OF ONE OF THE
YEAR’S MOST BIZARRE NEWS STORIES. FREDDIE STARR
19. A BIRMINGHAM WOMAN WAS RECENTLY FINED £75 FOR DOING WHAT IN HER LOCAL PARK? FEEDING THE DUCKS
20. CUSTOMS OFFICIALS HAVE SEIZED £1 MILLION OF FAKE CIGARETTTES FILLED WITH WHAT? RABBIT DROPPINGS
21. HAMBURG HAS MORE BRIDGES THAN ANY OTHER EUROPEAN CITY, HOW MANY DOES IT HAVE? 2438

Three entries this week and the tie breaker was needed to separate them...
BUZZIE 12 (tie breaker 187)
JUS 15 (462)
and the winner...
LITTLE MO 15 (2300)

#103843 by IAN B
Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:15 pm
Here's this week's offering - PM your answers

01. WHAT WORD LINKS FOXY BROWN’S “SPOTâ€Â￾, SHAKIN’ STEVENS’ “DOGâ€Â￾ AND ROD STEWART’S “LEGSâ€Â￾? HOT
02. THE MLS TEAM BASED IN SALT LAKE CITY NAMED THEMSELVES AFTER A FAMOUS FOOTBALL CLUB, ARE THEY CALLED INTER SALT LAKE,
REAL SALT LAKE OR SALT LAKE UNITED? REAL SALT LAKE
03. WHAT IS SEPARATED FROM THE BRITISH MAINLAND BY THE PENTLAND FIRTH? THE ORKNEYS
04. BY WHAT OTHER NAME IS THE FILM CHARACTER AXEL FOLEY KNOWN? BEVERLY HILLS COP
05. WHAT IS THE WORLD’S MOST COMMON BIRD? No it's not Katie Price - CHICKEN
06. TRUE OR FALSE – THE NEW ZEALAND NATIONAL FOOTBALL TEAM, WHO HAVE JUST QUALIFIED FOR THE WORLD CUP, ARE CALLED THE
ALL WHITES? TRUE
07. IN WHICH YEAR DID THE FOLLOWING SONGS TOP THE UK CHARTS – “HOOTS MONâ€Â￾ BY LORD ROCKINGHAM’S XI, “GREAT BALLS OF FIREâ€Â￾
BY JERRY LEE LEWIS AND “JAILHOUSE ROCKâ€Â￾ BY ELVIS PRESLEY? 1958
08. THE FRENCH OPEN TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIP IS PLAYED AT STADE ROLAND GARROS, IS THE STADIUM NAMED AFTER A FAMOUS ACTOR, A FRENCH PRESIDENT, A FAMOUS PILOT OR THE FOUNDER OF THE TOURNAMENT? A FAMOUS PILOT
09. PICTURE 1 SHOWS AN AERIAL VIEW OF WHICH FAMOUS BRITISH LANDMARK AND TOURIST ATTRACTION? WINDSOR CASTLE
11. OVER THE PAST TEN YEARS WHICH COUNTRY HAS CARRIED OUT THE MOST EXECUTIONS? CHINA
12. NAME THE YEAR. MAN FIRST SAW THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON, THE FILM “2001:A SPACE ODYSSEYâ€Â￾ MADE ITS’ CINEMA DEBUT AND
ELVIS PRESLEY’S ONLY CHILD WAS BORN. 1968
13. TRUE OR FALSE – THE SINGER STING GOT HIS NICKNAME FROM A BLACK AND YELLOW JUMPER HE USED TO WEAR ON STAGE? TRUE
14. PICTURE 2 SHOWS THE BADGE OF WHICH BRITISH FOOTBALL CLUB? BURNLEY
15. FAMOUS FOR ITS’ MUSIC FESTIVAL IN WHICH US STATE WOULD YOU FIND WOODSTOCK? NEW YORK STATE
16. PICTURE 3 SHOWS A POSTER FROM A WELL KNOWN FILM, NAME THE TWO STARS SHOWN IN THE POSTER? MERYL STREEP & CLINT EASTWOOD from "THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY"
17. IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE WHAT WORD CAN BE A DRINK, A SPORT OR A VEGETABLE? SQUASH
18. WHO AM I? BORN MICHAEL VINCENT IN COUNTY MAYO IN 1952, I WAS WORKING FOR A RECORD LABEL WHEN I DISCOVERED A FUTURE EUROVISION WINNER. IN 1993 I BEGAN MANAGING MY FIRST BAND BEFORE MOVING INTO TV IN 2001. LOUIS WALSH
19. THE WORLD RECORD IS 33 SECONDS FOR DRINKING THE CONTENTS OF A 440ml BOTTLE THROUGH A STRAW, A 440ml BOTTLE OF WHAT? TOMATO KETCHUP
20. WHEN A DORSET COUPLE’S BABY WAS DELIVERED EARLY THEY DECIDED TO CHANGE HER INTENDED NAME AND NAME HER AFTER WHAT? THE CAR SHE WAS BORN IN - KIA

21. IN THE TV SERIES OF “STAR TREKâ€Â￾ HOW MANY PEOPLE MADE UP THE FULL CREW OF THE USS ENTERPRISE? 428

In first place (and last place too as he was the only entrant)....
ROB_BOB 16 (tie breaker 279)

#104061 by IAN B
Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:37 am
I've been too busy to post The Travs the last couple of weeks, but now I'm back - PM your answers

01. WHAT NAME LINKS BILLY PAUL’S “MRSâ€Â￾, BANANARAMA’S “NATHANâ€Â￾ AND AQUA’S “DOCTORâ€Â￾? JONES
02. THERE ARE FOUR ENGLISH FOOTBALL LEAGUE CLUBS WHO’S NAMES BEGIN WITH THE LETTER ‘D’, NAME ANY THREE OF THEM. DERBY COUNTY, DONCASTER ROVERS, DAGENHAM & REDBRIDGE and DARLINGTON
03. WHAT DO LEONARDO DA VINCI, MARCO POLO, JOHN F KENNEDY, JOHN LENNON AND GEORGE BEST HAVE IN COMMON? THEY ALL HAVE AIRPORTS NAMED AFTER THEM
04. NAME THE ACTRESS SHOWN IN HER YOUNGER DAYS IN PICTURE 1. JODIE FOSTER
05. T.E.STOCKWELL AND JACK COHEN WERE THE FOUNDERS OF WHICH RETAIL CHAIN? TESCO
06. WHICH ENGLISH TOWN HAS JUST BECOME THE FIRST PLACE TO BE TWINNED WITH DISNEY WORLD IN FLORIDA? SWINDON
07. IN WHICH YEAR DID THE FOLLOWING SONGS TOP THE UK CHARTS – PETER ANDRE’S “MYSTERIOUS GIRLâ€Â￾, “CALL ON MEâ€Â￾ BY ERIC PRYDZ AND BUSTED’S “THUNDERBIRDSâ€Â￾? 2004
08. HOW MANY NBA BASKETBALL TEAMS ARE NAMED AFTER ANIMALS OR BIRDS – 8, 9 OR 10? 8
09. A STATUE OF WHICH SCIENTIST AND EXPLORER OVERLOOKS THE MAIN HALL OF LONDON’S NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM? CHARLES DARWIN
11. HOW MANY PIPS ARE THERE IN THE GREENWICH TIME SIGNAL? 6
12. NAME THE YEAR. BILL GATES FORTUNE FIRST PASSED THE $100 BILLION MARK, SPONGE BOB SQUAREPANTS MADE HIS TV DEBUT AND
THE ACTOR OLIVER REED DIED. 1999
13. WHAT LINKS THE FOUR MUSICAL ACTS IN PICTURE 2? THEY ALL CONTAIN ANIMALS IN THEIR NAME - Foxx, Snoop Dogg, Pussycat Dolls and Chipmunk
14. IN 1986 GREG LEMOND BECAME THE FIRST NON-EUROPEAN TO WIN WHICH FAMOUS SPORTING EVENT? TOUR DE FRANCE
15. PICTURE 3 SHOWS AN AERIAL VIEW OF WHICH WORLD FAMOUS BUILDING AND TOURIST ATTRACTION? TAJ MAHAL
16. WHO IS THE ONLY PERSON TO HAVE WON FIVE GOLDEN RASPBERRIES FOR THE WORST ACTRESS? MADONNA
17. IN THE 18th CENTURY DID THE BRITISH AND SPANISH FIGHT THE BATTLE OF JENKINS’ BOTTOM, JENKINS’ EAR OR JENKINS’ KNOB? JENKINS' EAR
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN NORTHUMBERLAND IN 1964, I WAS A DRAUGHTSMAN IN A SHIPYARD BEFORE BECOMING AN ACTOR. I FOUND FAME IN A HOSPITAL DRAMA BEFORE A SINGING ROLE IN A 1995 PROGRAMME LED ME TO A MUSIC CAREER AND THREE UK No1 SINGLES. ROBSON GREEN
19. ACCORDING TO NEWS REPORTS IS AUSTRALIA ABOUT TO HIT BY A PLAGUE OF LOCUSTS, A METEORITE, AN ICEBERG OR A HEATWAVE? AN ICEBERG
20. IT’S NOW POSSIBLE TO GIVE A LASTING MOMENTO OF YOURSELF AFTER AN AUSTRALIAN DESIGNED A RANGE OF JEWELLRY EMBEDDED WITH WHAT? TEETH
21. IN WHAT YEAR WAS MARIE TUSSAUD, FOUNDER OF THE WAXWORKS, BORN? 1761

ImageImageImageImage

Only two entries...
BUZZIE 11 (tie breaker 1770)
and the winner...
ROB_BOB 14 (1800)

#104525 by IAN B
Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:28 am
After a prolonged absence The Travs Quiz returns to QF - PM your answers

01. WHICH LETTER OF THE ALPHABET LINKS A GROUP FRONTED BY BOBBY FARRELL, THE HIT “POP MUZIKâ€Â￾ AND A GROUP FRONTED BY
HEATHER SMALL?
02. WHICH FOOTBALL CLUB RECENTLY EQUALLED THE RECORD FOR THE MOST CONSECUTIVE PREMIERSHIP DRAWS? MANCHESTER CITY
03. IN TERMS OF AREA WHAT IS THE LARGEST CONTINENT IN THE WORLD? ASIA
04. NAME THE CHILDREN’S TV CHARACTER SHOWN IN PICTURE 1. ROARY THE RACING CAR
05. WHICH IS BIGGER, A UK GALLON OR A US GALLON? UK GALLON
06. WHAT HAS RECENTLY BEEN NAMED AS THE TOP TV SHOW OF THE NOUGHTIES? TOP GEAR
07. IN WHICH YEAR DID THE FOLLOWING SONGS TOP THE UK CHARTS – “BACK TO LIFEâ€Â￾ BY SOUL II SOUL, “SOMETHING’S GOTTEN HOLD
OF MY HEARTâ€Â￾ BY MARC ALMOND & GENE PITNEY AND “ALL AROUND THE WORLDâ€Â￾ BY LISA STANSFIELD? 1989
08. PICTURE 2 SHOWS THE BADGE OF WHICH PREMIERSHIP FOOTBALL CLUB? WIGAN ATHLETIC
09. THE LAKE DISTRICT NATIONAL PARK LIES ENTIRELY WITHIN WHICH COUNTY? CUMBRIA
11. IN THE STORY OF “THE WIZARD OF OZâ€Â￾ WHICH CHARACTER DID DOROTHY MEET FIRST ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD? THE SCARECROW
12. NAME THE YEAR. ENGLISH FOOTBALL CLUBS WERE BANNED FROM EUROPEAN COMPETITIONS, “EASTENDERSâ€Â￾ MADE ITS’ TV DEBUT AND MIKE TYSON MADE HIS PROFESSIONAL BOXING DEBUT. 1985
13. THE FRENCH SINGER EDITH PIAF HAD A NICKNAME CONTAINING WHAT TYPE OF BIRD? SPARROW
14. HOW MANY NHL ICE HOCKEY TEAMS ARE NAMED AFTER ANIMALS OR BIRDS – 6, 7 OR 8? 7
15. NAME THE COUNTY HIGHLIGHTED IN PICTURE 3. KENT

16. WHICH COMEDIAN WOULD YOU ASSOCIATE WITH THE CHILDREN’S TV CHARACTER SHOWN IN PICTURE 1? PETER KAY
17. IN 2000 WHAT PHYSICAL FEATURE DID BARBIE HAVE ADDED? BELLY BUTTON
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN EDINBURGH IN 1976, I FIRST COMPETED IN MY CHOSEN SPORT IN 1992. I WAS THE FIRST BRITON TO WIN THREE GOLD MEDALS IN ONE OLYMPICS FOR 100 YEARS, BRINGING MY TOTAL TO FOUR. I HAVE ALSO BEEN GREAT BRITAIN’S OLYMPIC FLAG BEARER. SIR CHRIS HOY
19. A LIVERPOOL SCHOOLBOY HAS BEEN SUSPENDED FROM HIS SCHOOL FOR ‘DEALING’ IN WHAT? CRISPS
20. THE CITY OF WOLVERHAMPTON HAS RECENTLY COME FIFTH IN A LIST OF THE WORLD’S WHAT? WORST PLACES TO LIVE
21. WHAT IS THE HIGHEST RECORDED CROWD FOR A NFL AMERICAN FOOTBALL MATCH? 112376

The scores were.....
JUS 11 (tie breaker 60000)
BUZZIE 11 (90899)
BIG AL 17 (100000)

#104967 by IAN B
Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:22 pm
This one's purely for reference as I was too late publishing it - feel free to score it yourselves (I'll trust you :wink:)

01. WHICH BAND TOOK THEIR NAME FROM A CHARACTER IN THE “BACK TO THE FUTUREâ€Â￾ FILMS? McFLY
02. OF THE 30 NHL ICE HOCKEY TEAMS HOW MANY ARE BASED IN CANADIAN CITIES – 5, 6 OR 7? 6 (Calgary, Edmonton,Montreal, Ottowa, Toronto and Vancouver)
03. :arrow:
04. HOW MANY CONTESTANTS START AN EPISODE OF THE TV QUIZ SHOW “THE WEAKEST LINKâ€Â￾? NINE
05. WHAT TYPE OF FISH IS USED TO MAKE KPPERS? HERRING
06. SCIENTISTS HAVE DEVELOPED A MOBILE PHONE WHOSE BATTERY CAN BE POWERED BY WHAT? FIZZY DRINKS
07. IN WHICH YEAR WERE THE FOLLOWING SONGS UK HITS – “FREEDOMâ€Â￾ BY ROBBIE WILLIAMS, “CHARMLESS MANâ€Â￾ BY BLUR AND “WORDSâ€Â￾ BY BOYZONE? 1996
08. WHAT WAS UNUSUAL ABOUT THE TWO TEAMS WHO CONTESTED THE 1985 MILK CUP FINAL? THEY WERE BOTH RELEGATED THAT SEASON
09. WHAT IS UNIQUE ABOUT CHURCH FLATTS FARM IN DERBYSHIRE? IT’S THE FURTHEST POINT FROM THE SEA IN BRITAIN
11. OF THE THREE MAIN BRITISH POLITICAL PARTIES WHICH IS TRADITIONALLY THE LAST TO HOLD THEIR ANNUAL CONFERENCE? CONSERVATIVES
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE “BIG ISSUEâ€Â￾ WAS FIRST SOLD, THE SAS MISSION, BRAVO TWO ZERO, LATER IMMORTALISED IN A BOOK, WAS LAUNCHED AND SOUTH AFRICA WAS RE-ADMITTED TO WORLD CRICKET. 1991
13. :arrow:
14. WHICH PIECE OF SPORTING EQUIPMENT CAN BE A MAXIMUM OF 42â€Â￾ LONG AND 2¾â€Â￾ THICK? A BASEBALL BAT
15. :arrow:
16. HOW MANY NUMBER ROUNDS ARE THERE DURING THE TV GAMESHOW? “COUNTDOWN"
17. NAME THREE OF THE FIVE MALE CHRISTIAN NAMES THAT APPEAR IN THE NATO PHONETIC ALPHABET. CHARLIE, MIKE, OSCAR, ROMEO and VICTOR
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN INDIA IN 1918 AND CHRISTENED TERENCE, I WAS A JAZZ MUSICIAN BEFORE SERVING WITH THE BRITISH ARMY, WHERE I BEGAN WRITING COMEDY SKETCHES. MOST FAMOUS CREATIONS WERE FIRST HEARD IN 1951 ON A POPULAR RADIO SHOW. I DIED
IN 2002. SPIKE MILLIGAN
19. CANADA’S SECOND OLDEST MAGAZINE HAS BEEN FORCED TO CHANGE ITS’ NAME AFTER INNUENDOS ABOUT ITS’ TITLE AFFECTED SALES, WHAT WAS IT CALLED? “THE BEAVERâ€Â￾
20. AN ADVERTISING CAMPAIGN HAS BEEN CRITICISED AFTER IT CLAIMED THAT ALIENS LANDING ON EARTH WOULD EAT WHO FIRST? FAT PEOPLE
21. ON 01st JANUARY 1907 THE US PRESIDENT THEODORE ROOSEVELT SET A RECORD FOR SHAKING HANDS, HOW MANY HANDS DID HE SHAKE? 8513

#104968 by IAN B
Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:31 pm
Another offering from The Travs resident quizmaestro, Ian B - PM your answers

01. DORIS DAY’S WERE BLACK, D12’S WERE PURPLE AND COLDPLAY’S WERE VIOLET, WHAT WERE THEY? HILLS
02. WHICH ENGLISH CITY STAGED THE WORLD SNOOKER CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL BEFORE IT MOVED TO SHEFFIELD’S CRUCIBLE THEATRE? MANCHESTER
03. WHICH IS THE LARGEST OF THE CANARY ISLANDS? TENERIFE
04. BY WHAT TITLE IS THE TELEVISION CHARACTER GERALDINE GRAINGER ALSO KNOWN? THE VICAR OF DIBLEY
05. WHICH WAS THE FIRST OF THE MR MEN TO BE CREATED? MR TICKLE
06. FREQUENTLY MENTIONED IN THE NEWS RECENTLY, WHAT IS THE
CAPITAL CITY OF HAITI? PORT-AU-PRINCE
07. IN WHICH YEAR WERE THE FOLLOWING SONGS UK HITS – “WHISKEY IN THE JARâ€Â￾ BY THIN LIZZY, “CAROLINEâ€Â￾ BY STATUS QUO AND
“CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZEâ€Â￾ BY SLADE? 1973
08. AT WHICH SPORTING VENUE WOULD YOU FIND ST. DEVOTE, MIRABEAU AND LA RASCASSE? MONACO GRAND PRIX CIRCUIT
09. NAME THE COUNTRY SHOWN IN PICTURE 1. LEBANON
11. PICTURE 2 SHOWS THE LOGO OF WHICH COMPANY? HOLIDAY INN
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE TRIAL OF SADAAM HUSSEIN BEGAN, CHRISTOPHER ECCLESTON BECAME THE 9th DR WHO AND TONY CHRISTIE
HAD THE YEAR’S BIGGEST SELLING SINGLE WITH “IS THIS THE WAY TO AMARILLO?â€Â￾ 2005
13. TRADITIONALLY HOW MANY MEMBERS ARE THERE IN A BARBER’S SHOP HARMONY GROUP? 4
14. NAME THE FOOTBALLER SHOWN IN PICTURE 3. FABIO CAPELLO
15. IN WHICH COUNTY IS SHERWOOD FOREST? NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
16. WHICH TV AND FILM CHARACTER LIVES AT 37 CHERRY BLOSSOM CLOSE IN STAINES? ALI G
17. IS DERMATOLOGY THE STUDY OF THE SKIN, THE STUDY OF THE EARTH’S SURFACE OR THE STUDY OF IRISH BOYS NAMES? THESKIN
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN LIVERPOOL IN 1943 I WORKED IN THE CAVERN CLUB BEFORE SIGNING A RECORD CONTRACT IN 1963. I HAD TWO
UK No1 SINGLES AND BEGAN MY TV CAREER IN 1968. MY MOST POPULAR TV SHOW BEGAN IN 1985. CILLA BLACK
19. TRUE OR FALSE – A COCKAPOO IS A CROSS BETWEEN A COCKER SPANIEL AND A POODLE? TRUE
20. A FUNERAL PARLOUR HAS RECEIVED A COMPLAINT AFTER RETURNING A BAG OF THE DECEASED’S BELONGINGS, CONTAINING WHAT? HER BRAIN
21. THE LARGEST WINE CASK IN THE WORLD CAN HOLD HOW MANY LITRES? 222000

Only one entrant this week so the winner is....
LITTLE MO 16 (tie breaker 24500)

#105059 by IAN B
Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:26 pm
Hopefully there'll be a few more entries this week - PM your answers

01. WHICH COUNTRY HAS PROVIDED UK TOP TEN HITS FOR JULIE COVINGTON, THE SHADOWS AND MADONNA? ARGENTINA
02. THE SPORT OF OCTOPUSH IS AN UNDERWATER VERSION OF WHICH OTHER TEAM SPORT? HOCKEY
03. WHICH TWO EUROPEAN COUNTRIES HAVE NATIONAL FLAGS THAT CONSIST OF A WHITE CROSS OF A RED BACKGROUND? DENMARK and SWITZERLAND
04. WHAT WAS NOTABLE ABOUT THE MAKING OF THE 1970s BBC DRAMA SERIES “THE FORSYTH SAGAâ€Â￾? IT WAS THE LAST ONE TO BE MADE IN BLACK & WHITE
05. BY WHAT NAME IS DEOXYRIBONUCLEIC ACID BETTER KNOWN? DNA
06. THE 2nd FEBRUARY IS A HOLIDAY IN THE USA, BROUGHT TO PROMINENCE BY A 1993 FILM, WHAT IS IT CALLED? GROUNDHOG DAY
07. IN WHICH YEAR WERE THE FOLLOWING SONGS UK HITS – “LOVE ME FOR A REASONâ€Â￾ BY BOYZONE, “ALWAYSâ€Â￾ BY ERASURE AND “SECRETâ€Â￾
BY MADONNA? 1994
08. NAME THE FORMER ENGLAND CAPTAIN SHOWN IN PICTURE 1. IAN BOTHAM (top left)
09. WHICH ARE THE ONLY TWO COUNTRIES IN THE WORLD THAT HAVE THE LETTER ‘A’ AS EVERY ALTERNATE LETTER IN THEIR SIX LETTER NAMES? CANADA and PANAMA
11. WHAT WORD CAN BE THE NAME OF A JAPANESE COMPANY, A RELIGIOUS POSITION OR A MUSICAL COMPOSITION? CANON
12. NAME THE YEAR. ROBERT MUGABE CAME TO POWER IN ZIMBABWE, THE ALTON TOWERS THEME PARK FIRST OPENED AND JOHN LENNON
WAS MURDERED. 1980
13. WHAT LINKS THE NAMES OF THE BANDS SHOWN IN PICTURE 2? NUMBERS - Dave Clark 5, 10CC, Blink 182, Haircut 100
14. IN RUGBY UNION WHAT NUMBER IS TRADITIONALLY WORN BY THE SCRUM HALF? 9
15. PICTURE 3 SHOWS AN AERIAL VIEW OF WHERE? BLACKPOOL PLEASURE BEACH
16. IN MANY ARAB SPEAKING COUNTRIES WHICH TELEVISION CHARACTER IS KNOWN AS OMAR SHAMSHOON? HOMER SIMPSON
17. HOW DOES A GRIZZLY BEAR GETS ITS’ NAME, IS IT FROM ITS’ COLOUR, ITS’ HABITAT OR ITS’ TEMPREMENT? IT'S COLOUR - 'gris' the French for grey
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN LIVERPOOL IN 1964, I TOOK UP MY CHOSEN SPORT IN 1976. TURNING PROFESSIONAL IN 1983, I BECAME WORLD CHAMPION EIGHT YEARS LATER. IN 1996 I BECAME THE FIRST PERSON FROM MY SPORT TO BE A TEAM CAPTAIN ON “A QUESTION OF SPORTâ€Â￾. JOHN PARROTT
19. IS TEXTOPHOBIA THE FEAR OF MATERIAL OR THE FEAR OF TEXT MESSAGES? FEAR OF MATERIALS
20. WHAT DID THE OWNER OF AN AUTOGRAPHED BRIAN MAY GUITAR DO THE FIRST TIME HE PLAYED THE INSTRUMENT? WIPED THE AUTOGRAPH OFF
21. IN WHAT YEAR WAS THE LAST MAJOR LAND BATTLE FOUGHT ON MAINLAND BRITISH SOIL? 1746 (Culloden)

ImageImageImageImage

Just the two entries this week (where is everybody?)....
JUS 11 (tie breaker 1746)
and the winner...
BUZZIE 15 (1984 - The Battle of Orgreave - witty, but not strictly correct)

#105137 by IAN B
Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:36 am
Here's another offering from The Travs in Sheffield - PM yur answers
01. WHAT COLOUR LINKS THE GROUP SCRITTI POLITTI, THE SINGER WHO DUETTED WITH ANNIE LENNOX ON “PUT A LITTLE LOVE IN YOUR HEARTâ€Â￾ AND ULTRABEAT’S “EYESâ€Â￾? GREEN
02. WHEN ENGLAND WON THE WORLD CUP IN 1966 WHO DID THEY BEAT IN THE SEMI-FINAL? PORTUGAL
03. IN WHICH ITALIAN CITY WAS THE GIORGIO ARMANI FASHION HOUSE FIRST ESTABLISHED? MILAN
04. IN THE TELEVISION SERIES “THUNDERBIRDSâ€Â￾ WHAT WAS THE NAME OF LADY PENELOPE’S BUTLER? PARKER
05. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING ANIMALS DOES NOT FEATURE ON THE COAT OF ARMS OF AUSTRALIA – EMU, KANGAROO OR KOALA BEAR? KOALA
06. WHICH AMERICAN COMPANY THIS WEEK HAD ITS’ PROPOSED TAKEOVER OF CADBURY RATIFIED BY THE COMPANY’S SHAREHOLDERS? KRAFT
07. IN WHICH YEAR WERE THE FOLLOWING SONGS UK HITS – “SIT DOWNâ€Â￾ BY JAMES, “THE SHOOP SHOOP SONGâ€Â￾ BY CHER AND “STARSâ€Â￾ BY SIMPLY RED? 1991
08. PICTURE 1 SHOWS THE BADGE OF WHICH BRITISH FOOTBALL CLUB? HIBERNIAN
09. IF YOU FLEW DUE EAST FROM NEW YORK CITY WHICH COUNTRY WOULD YOU REACH FIRST? PORTUGAL
10. PICTURE 2 SHOWS THE MAIN CHARACTERS FROM WHICH TELEVISION SERIES? "MAGNUM PI"
11. THE USA HAS THE MOST DOLLAR BILLIONAIRES IN THE WORLD, BUT WHICH COUNTRY HAS THE MOST IN EUROPE? GERMANY
12. NAME THE YEAR. STEPHEN KING PUBLISHED “CARRIEâ€Â￾, HIS FIRST NOVEL UNDER HIS OWN NAME, “TISWASâ€Â￾ WAS TELEVISED AND FORMER ENGLAND FOOTBALLERS PAUL SCHOLES AND SOL CAMPBELL WERE BORN. 1974
13. NAME THE CHART-TOPPING SINGER SHOWN IN HER YOUNGER DAYS IN PICTURE 2. KATY PERRY
14. WHO WAS THE LAST ENGLISH WINNER OF THE BBC SPORTS PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR AWARD? ZARA PHILLIPS in 2006
15. THE BERMUDA TRIANGLE IS AN AREA BORDERED BY BERMUDA, PUERTO RICO AND WHICH OTHER PLACE? FLORIDA
16. IN THE NAME OF THE TELEVISION CHANNEL ‘ESPN’ WHAT DO THE INITIALS STAND FOR? ENTERTAINMENT & SPORTS PROGRAMMING NETWORK
17. IN THE CENTURY DID BRITAIN AND CHINA FIGHT THE TOBACCO WARS, THE OPIUM WARS OR THE CRACK WARS? OPIUM WARS
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN WIMBLEDON ON 14th 1968, THE DAUGHTER OF A LORD, I FIRST CAME TO PUBLIC ATTENTION IN 1996. I WAS FIRST PLAYED IN FILMS IN 2001. DUE TO MY INITIAL ROLE I APPEAR IN THE GUINNESS BOOK OF RECORDS. LARA CROFT
19. A CARDIFF BRANCH OF TESCO HAS BANNED PEOPLE FROM SHOPPING THERE WHILST WEARING WHAT? NIGHTWEAR
20. AND TESCO IN COVENTRY ASKED A CUSTOMER FOR PROOF OF HER AGE WHEN SHE ATTEMPTED TO BUY WHAT – A BOTTLE OF NON-ALCOHOLIC WINE, A PACK OF CIDER FLAVOURED ICE LOLLIES OR A SLICE OF QUICHE? A SLICE OF QUICHE (wtf!!)
21. HOW MANY COUNTRIES ARE MEMBER SOF THE UNITED NATIONS? 192

And the scores...
JUS 9 (tie breaker 72)
BUZZIE 15 (148) - the only one who got the rather sneaky Who am I?
ROB_BOB 16 (180)
and the winner...
LITTLE MO 17 (192)

#105244 by IAN B
Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:13 am
Rather disappointed with this one as two teams in The Travs got 18/20 - must try harder Ian. PM your answers

01. WHAT COUNTRY LINKS THIN LIZZY’S “TOWNâ€Â￾, JAPAN’S “VISIONSâ€Â￾ AND DAVID BOWIE’S “GIRLâ€Â￾? CHINA
02. WHAT ANIMAL WOULD YOU ASSOCIATE WITH SCORING THREE CONSECUTIVE STRIKES IN TEN PIN BOWLING? TURKEY
03. IN WHICH CITY WOULD YOU SEE THE STATUE IN PICTURE 1? LIVERPOOL
04. BETWEEN 1967-1982 BLACKPOOL, DARTMOUTH, ELY AND SHREWSBURY WERE THE ONLY ENGLISH WINNERS OF WHAT? "JEUX SANS FRONTIERES"
05. FROM WHICH ANIMALWOULD YOU OBTAIN THE MEAT VENISON? DEER
06. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE GREEK GOD OF LOVE? EROS
07. IN WHICH YEAR WERE THE FOLLOWING SONGS UK HITS – “COME UNDONEâ€Â￾ BY ROBBIE WILLIAMS, “HEY YA!â€Â￾ BY OUTKAST AND
“SENORITAâ€Â￾ BY JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE? 2003
08. PICTURE 2 SHOWS THE BADGE OF WHICH SPORTS TEAM? NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - the new Superbowl champions
09. WHAT IS THE STATE CAPITAL OF NEW YORK STATE? ALBANY
11. A HORSE HAS FOUR RECOGNISED GAITS, WALK IS THE SLOWEST, WHAT ARE THE OTHER THREE? TROT, CANTER and GALLOP
12. NAME THE YEAR. MEAT RATIONING ENDED IN BRITAIN, THE FOOTBALL ORGANISATION UEFA WAS FORMED AND THE TELEVISION STAR OPRAH WINFREY WAS BORN. 1954
13. WHAT DO THE NAMES OF THE FOUR MUSICAL ARTISTS SHOWN IN PICTURE 3 HAVE IN COMMON? BIRDS - The Eagles, A Flock of Seagulls, Black Crowes, Sheryl Crow
14. WHICH AMERICAN CITY IS HOME TO TEAMS CALLED THE RED SOX, THE BRUINS AND THE CELTICS? BOSTON
15. WHICH COUNTRY HAS THE MOST MICHELIN STARRED RESTAURANTS? JAPAN
16. WHICH TOWN WAS SERVED BY THE FIRE BRIGADE THAT CONTAINED PUGH, PUGH, BARNEY, McGREW, CUTHBERT, DIBBLE AND GRUBB? TRUMPTON
17. WHAT IS THE NAME OF A CROSS BETWEEN A FEMALE LION AND A MALE TIGER? TIGON
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN MIAMI IN 1945 I WAS A WAITRESS AND PLAYBOY BUNNY BEFORE JOINING MY FIRST BAND. I FORMED MY OWN BAND THAT HAD SIX UK No1 SINGLES BETWEEN 197 AND 1999. I HAVE ALSO APPEARED IN MANY FILMS, MY MOST FAMOUS BEING IN 1983. DEBBIE HARRY
19. IN A RECENT SURVEY A THIRD OF BRITONS QUESTIONED THOUGHT THE TV CARTOON CHARACTER PETER GRIFFIN WAS WHO OR WHAT? THE LEADER OF THE BNP - although Peter Griffin talks more sense!!
20. LONDON’S No24 BUS WAS DELAYED RECENTLY WHEN THE DRIVER STOPPED TO GET HIS BREAKFAST, TO PICK UP HIS ELDERLY MOTHER
OR TO PRAY? TO PRAY
21. IN WHAT YEAR DID GEORGE DE MESTRAL INVENT VELCRO? 1955

ImageImageImageImage

And the scores were.....
ROB BOB 13.5 (tie breaker 1950) - I don't normally do 1/2 points, but the New Orleans egg chasing, armour wearing blokes wasn't the answer I was looking for :wink:
LITTLE MO 15 (1948)
and the winner.....
JUS 16 (1951)

#105335 by IAN B
Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:58 am
Here's this week's offering folks - as usual PM your answers

01. TRAFFIC’S “SUNâ€Â￾, STATUS QUO’S “PLANEâ€Â￾ AND MARIE OSMOND’S “ROSESâ€Â￾ WERE ALL MADE OF WHAT? PAPER
02. IN WHICH SPORT ARE THERE POSITIONS CALLED CENTRE FIELD AND SHORT STOP? BASEBALL
03. NAME THE COUNTRY SHOWN IN PICTURE 1. GREECE
04. WHICH FAMOUS FILM CHARACTER WAS SENT TO PRISON FOR CUTTING THE HEADS OF PARKING METERS? "COOL HAND" LUKE JACKSON
05. WHAT WAS ADVERTISED AS HAVING “A HAZELNUT IN EVERY BITEâ€Â￾? TOIC
06. WHICH COUNTRY WON THE FIRST GOLD MEDAL TO BE AWARDED AT THE 2010 WINTER OLYMPICS? SWITZERAND
07. IN WHICH YEAR WERE THE FOLLOWING SONGS UK HITS – “ROCKIN’ ALL OVER THE WORLDâ€Â￾ BY STATUS QUO, “ANGELOâ€Â￾ BY BROTHERHOOD OF MAN AND “GOOD MORNING JUDGEâ€Â￾ BY 10CC? 1977
08. NAME THE SPORTSMAN SHOWN IN HIS YOUNGER DAYS IN PICTURE 2. ANDY MURRAY
09. WHICH COUNTRY HAS THE MOST NUCLEAR REACTORS IN EUROPE? FRANCE
11. WHAT TYPE OF PERSON CAN NOT BE HONOURED ON A POSTAGE STAMP IN THE USA? A LIVING ONE
12. NAME THE YEAR. BT ANNOUNCED THE PHASING OUT OF RED TELEPHONE BOXES, CHERRY COKE WAS LAUNCHED AND “RAMBO 2â€Â￾ AND “ROCKY IVâ€Â￾ WERE MAJOR CINEMA SUCCESSES FOR SYLVESTER STALLONE. 1985
13. IN 2009 THE CHARACTERS FROM WHICH TELEVISION PROGRAMME HAD A HIT SINGLE WITH A COVER OF QUEEN’S “BOHEMIAN RHAPSODYâ€Â￾? THE MUPPETS
14. FOLLOWING THE 2006 FINALS BRAZIL HAD SCORED THE MOST GOALS IN WORLD CUP FINAL TOURNAMENT, WHICH COUNTRY HAD CONCEDED THE MOST? GERMANY
15. THE NATIONAL FLAG OF MOZAMBIQUE IS THE ONLY FLAG TO SHOW WHAT – AN ASSAULT RIFLE, A BIBLE, A DOVE OF PEACE OR A HANDGRENADE? AN ASSAULT RIFLE
16. WHAT PRODUCT DID THE WOMAN IN PICTURE 3 ADVERTISE ON TELEVISION? FRY'S TURKISH DELIGHT
17. WHAT DRINK WAS FIRST SOLD IN 1929 UNDER THE NAME “BIB LABEL LITHIATED LEMON-LIME SODAâ€Â￾? 7 UP
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN 1962 IN KENT AND CHRISTENED JAMES, I WORKED AS A WAITER AND TRAINED AS A PRIEST BEFORE ENTERING COMEDY. AS WELL AS DOING STAND-UP, I HAVE ACTED, DONE TV ADVERTS AND WAS THE FIRST WINNER OF A CELEBRITY REALITY SHOW. JACK DEE
19. GERMAN LUGER DAVID MOELLER SUFFERED AN UNUSUAL INJURY AFTER WINNING THE SILVER MEDAL IN HIS EVENT DID HE BREAK A TOOTH BITING HIS MEDAL, CUT HIMSELF HUGGING HIS SLED OR INJURE HIS BACK PICKING UP THE GOLD MEDAL WINNER? BITING HIS MEDAL
20. CHESSINGTON WORLD OF ADVENTURES THEME PARK IS GIVING FREE PICK ‘N’ MIX TO ITS’ VISITORS, MADE UP OF WHAT? DRIED INSECTS
21. THE USA HAS THE BIGGEST TEAM AT THE 2010 WINTER OLYMPICS, HOW MANY COMPETITORS ARE THERE IN THE TEAM? 215

We had a tie this week so the tie breaker came into play...
JUS 11 (tie breaker 256)
BUZZIE 14 (112)
LITTLE MO 14 (250)