• Topic Title

• Topic description
Challenge fellow quizzers by posting your favourite questions and quizzes here.

Moderators: playgirl, JUS, rodbox

#105467 by IAN B
Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:55 am
Two quizzes for you this week as I forgot to post last week's - PM your answers

01. DIANA ROSS’ WAS “OLDâ€Â￾, BRENDA RUSSELL’S WAS “IN THE DARKâ€Â￾ AND MIXMASTER’S WAS “GRANDâ€Â￾, WHAT WERE THEY? PIANOS
02. HOW MANY LIGHTS ARE USED AT THE START OF A FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX? 5
03. NAME THE CITY SHOWN IN PICTURE 1. OXFORD
04. IN THE FAIRYTALE “JACK AND THE BEANSTALKâ€Â￾ HOW MANY MAGIC BEANS DID JACK SWAP THE COW FOR? 5
05. IN ROMAN NUMERALS WHICH IS LARGER, DVD OR CD? DVD = 995 CD = 400
06. NAME TWO OF THE FOUR UNITED KINGDOM CITIES THAT HAVE BEEN NOMINATED TO BE THE 2013 CITY OF CULTURE? BIRMINGHAM, LONDONDERRY, NORWICH and SHEFFIELD :shock:
07. IN WHICH YEAR WERE THE FOLLOWING SONGS UK HITS – “WE DIDN’T START THE FIREâ€Â￾ BY BILLY JOEL, “YOU GOT ITâ€Â￾ BY NEW KIDS ON
THE BLOCK AND “SEALED WITH A KISSâ€Â￾ BY JASON DONOVAN? 1989
08. PICTURE 2 SHOWS THE BADGE OF WHICH FAMOUS FOOTBALL CLUB? INTER MILAN
09. IN WHICH COUNTY WOULD YOU FIND THE RAF COLLEGE AT CRANWELL, THE TALLEST STRUCTURE IN BRITAIN AND BURGHLEY HOUSE,
HOME OF THE HORSE TRIALS? LINCOLNSHIRE
10. :arrow:
11. THE INVENTOR OF THE JCB WAS MR BAMFORD, BUT WHAT DID THE INITIALS ‘JC’ STAND FOR? JOSEPH CYRIL
12. NAME THE YEAR. MICROSOFT RELEASED THE FIRST VERSION OF WINDOWS, THE 30th EUROVISION SONG CONTEST WAS HELD AND THE SINGER LEONA LEWIS WAS BORN. 1985
13. WHERE DID FRANK SINATRA REFER TO AS “MY KIND OF TOWNâ€Â￾? CHICAGO
14. IN RUGBY UNION’S SIX NATIONS CHAMPIONSHIP WHAT CAN ENGLAND, IRELAND, SCOTLAND AND WALES WIN THAT FRANCE AND ITALY
CAN NOT? THE TRIPLE CROWN
15. SOUTH AFRICA HAS THREE CAPTAL CITIES, NAME ANY TWO OF THEM. BLOEMFONTEIN, CAPE TOWN and PRETORIA
16. NAME THE ACTRESS SHOWN IN HER YOUNGER DAYS IN PICTURE 3. NICOLE KIDMAN
17. WAS IMELDA MARCOS, THE WIFE OF THE FORMER PRESIDENT OF THE
PHILLIPINES, FAMOUS FOR HER ENORMOUS COLLECTION OF BARBIE DOLLS, SHOES OR SKULLS OF THEIR OPPONENTS? SHOES
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN 1937 IN NEW YORK , I WAS WORKED IN MGM’s CARTOON DEPARTMENT BEFORE MY 1958 ACTING DEBUT. IT WAS, HOWEVER , 11 YEARS BEFORE I GOT MY BIG BREAK. I HAVE MORE OSCAR NOMINATIONS THAN ANY OTHER ACTOR, HAVING WON THREE, MY FIRST IN 1975. JACK NICHOLSON
19. AN ITALIAN TELEVISION CHEF HAS CAUSED CONTROVERSY AFTER HIS RECOMMENDATION OF WHAT TYPE OF MEAT? CAT
20. THORPE PARK THEME PARK IS ASKING ITS’ VISITORS TO SUPPLY SAMPLES OF WHAT TO HELP IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF THEIR LATEST ATTRACTION? URINE
TIE BREAKER (nearest answer wins)
21. ACCORDING TO THE GUINNESS BOOK OF RECORDS WHAT IS THE CURRENT WORLD RECORD FOR COMPLETING A RUBIK’S CUBE? 7.08 SECONDS

And here's the second one...

01. WHAT WORD DESCRIBES BRONSKI BEAT’S “BEATâ€Â￾, MARTINE McCUTCHEON’S “MOMENTâ€Â￾ AND WYCLEF JEAN’S “GENTLEMANâ€Â￾? PERFECT
02. WHICH COUNTRY WILL HOST THE 2014 WINTER OLYMPIC GAMES? RUSSIA (Sochi)
03. THE CAPITAL CITY OF WHICH COUNTRY LIES ON THE ISLAND OF JAVA? INDONESIA
04. IN THE “ROCKYâ€Â￾ SERIES OF FILMS ROCKY BALBOA WAS A NATIVE OF WHICH AMERICAN CITY? PHILADELPHIA
05. WHEN APPLIED TO AUDIO EQUIPMENT WHAT IS ‘HI-FI’ AN ABBREVIATION OF? HIGH FIDELITY
06. IT HAS JUST BEEN ANNOUNCED THAT WHAT IS MOVING TO WOLVERHAMPTON AFTER 122 YEARS IN LEEDS? TETLEY BITTER - if they ruin it I'm declaring war on the yamyams
07. IN WHICH YEAR WERE THE FOLLOWING SONGS UK HITS – “SO LONELYâ€Â￾ BY THE POLICE, “GAMES WITH FRONTIERSâ€Â￾ BY PETER GABRIEL
AND “TALK OF THE TOWNâ€Â￾ BY THE PRETENDERS? 1980
08. WHAT TYPE OF ANIMAL IS SOMETIMES USED AS A NICKNAME FOR THE OFFICIALS IN AN AMERICAN FOOTBALL MATCH? ZEBRA
09. NAME THE US STATE SHOWN IN PICTURE 1. ALASKA
11. OFTEN SEEN IN HORROR FILMS, WHAT IS THE MORE COMMON NAME FOR A LYCANTHROPE? WEREWOLF
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE BEATLES MAKE THEIR FIRST TV APPEARANCE IN THE USA, MUHAMMED ALI BECOMES WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT
CHAMPION AND THE QUEEN GAVE BIRTH TO HER LAST CHILD. 1964
13. NAME THE BAND SHOWN IN CARTOON FORM IN PICTURE 2. DEPRESSED MODE ... sorry DEPECHE MODE
14. WHAT IS THE LINK BETWEEN THE NICKNAMES OF NORTHAMPTON TOWN, LUTON TOWN, WALSALL AND YEOVIL TOWN FOOTBALL CLUBS? LOCAL INDUSTRIES - Cobblers, Hatters, Saddlers and Glovers
15. THE LINE OF LONGTITUDE THAT LIES AT ZERO DEGREES IS NAMED AFTER WHICH DISTRICT OF LONDON? GREENWICH
16. IN THE “BATMANâ€Â￾ STORIES WHAT WAS THE NAME OF HIS BUTLER? ALFRED
17. PICTURE 3 SHOWS THE BADGE OF WHICH LUXURY CAR MANUFACTURER? MASERATI
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN COVENTRY IN 1947, I WORKED ON THE RAILWAYS BEFORE ENTERING MUSIC, FIRST AS A DJ BEFORE BECOMING A PRODUCER. THE FORCE BEHIND 22 UK No1 SINGLES, I AM ALSO RESPONSIBLE FOR CREATING THE UK’S 2010 EUROVISION SONG CONTEST ENTRY. PETE WATERMAN
19. A CZECH TRAVEL AGENCY HAS BEGUN ORGANISING TRIPS TO PRAGUE FOR WHO OR WHAT? TEDDY BEARS
20. TRUE OR FALSE – IN 2003 A PATENT APPLICATION WAS MADE FOR THE BEERBRELLA, AN UMBRELLA THAT YOU CLIP TO YOUR BEER TO SHADE IT FROM THE SUN? TRUE
21. FROM A NORMAL PACK OF PLAYING CARDS IT IS POSSIBLE TO MAKE HOW MANY DIFFERENT FIVE CARD POKER HANDS? 2598960

A very poor response this week, just the one entry so the winners are...
JUS 7 (tie breaker 9.8 seconds)
JUS 14 (tie breaker 2598960 - I'm guessing you've heard that one before)

I suppose I could say you've alsocome last in both quizzes :wink:

#105620 by IAN B
Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:36 pm
Is there anybody there?
Hopefully I'll get more than one reply this week - PM your answers

01. WHAT LINKS THE FOLLOWING UK No1 SINGLES, “IT DOESN’T MATTER
ANYMOREâ€Â￾ BY BUDDY HOLLY, “VOODOO CHILEâ€Â￾ BY JIMI HENDRIX, “MORE
THAN A WOMANâ€Â￾ BY AALIYAH AND “GHETTO GOSPELâ€Â￾ BY 2PAC? THE WERE POSTHUMOUS No1s
02. HOW MANY PREVIOUS WORLD CHAMPIONS ARE COMPETING IN THE 2010 F1 CHAMPIONSHIP? 4 - Schumacher, Alonso, Hamilton and Button
03. WHICH CARIBBEAN ISLAND IS THE HOME OF CALYPSO MUSIC, THE LIMBO DANCE AND THE CRICKETER BRIAN LARA? TRINIDAD
04. THE FILM AND TELEVISION SERIES “M*A*S*Hâ€Â￾ WAS SET DURING WHICH WAR? KOREAN WAR
05. TO BE CLASSIFIED AS A BLIZZARD A SNOW STORM MUST HAVE WINDS IN EXCESS OF 25, 35 OR 45 MPH? >35mph
06. THE PRIME MINISTER HAS JUST ANNOUNCED 24th MARCH AS BUDGET DAY, BUT WHO, IN HIS ROLE AS CHANCELLOR, WILL PRESENT THE BUDGET? ALISTAIR DARLING
07. IN WHICH YEAR WERE THE FOLLOWING SONGS UK HITS – “WHENEVER YOU NEED SOMEBODYâ€Â￾ BY RICK ASTLEY, “WONDERFUL LIFEâ€Â￾ BY BLACK
AND “IT’S A SINâ€Â￾ BY THE PET SHOP BOYS? 1987
08. IN WHICH SPORT WAS THE TERM ‘HAT TRICK’ FIRST USED? CRICKET
09. NAME THE FAMOUS BUILDING SHOWN IN PICTURE 1. ST PANCRAS STATION
11. PICTURE 2 SHOWS THE LOGO OF WHICH COMPANY? TOMMY HILFIGER
12. NAME THE YEAR. NELSON MANDELA BECAME SOUTH AFRICA’S FIRST BLACK PRESIDENT, UK GARAGES HAD TO SELL PETROL IN LITRES AND GEORGE FOREMAN BECAME THE OLDEST WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT BOXING CHAMPION. 1994
13. PICTURE 3 SHOWS THE LOGO OF WHICH 80s BAND? THE STRAY CATS
14. WHICH TWO BRITISH SPORTS STADIUMS HAVE FULLY RETRACTABLE ROOFS? THE MILLENIUM STADIUM and WIMBLEDON'S CENTRE COURT
15. WHICH TOURIST ATTRACTION HAS PREVIOUSLY BEEN AN OBSERVATORY, A ZOO, A MINT AND A PRISON? HE TOWER OF LONDON
16. THE FILM CHARACTER INDIANA JONES REGULARLY BREAKS THE SOUND BARRIER, HOW? CRACKING HIS WHIP
17. ON 18th FEBRUARY 1979 WHAT HAPPENED FOR THE FIRST AND ONLY TIME IN THE SAHARA DESERT? IT SNOWED
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN LANARKSHIRE IN 1953 AND NAMED JAMES, I JOINED MY FIRST BAND IN 1969. I TURNED DOWN AN OFFER TO FRONT THE SEX PISTOLS. ALTHOUGH I HAD A UK No1 WITH A BAND IN 1976 AND A SOLO No1 IN 1985, I AM BEST KNOWN FOR CO-WRITING ONE OF THE BIGGEST SELLING SINGLES. MIDGE URE
19. A CHINESE MAN CAUSED A MAJOR POWERCUT WHEN HE USED THE POWER CABLES TO DO WHAT? PERFORM A HIGH WIRE ACT
20. A NEW CHARITY HAS BEEN FORMED IN ENGLAND TO HELP WHICH GROUP OF PEOPLE OVERCOME PREJUDICE? ESSEX GIRLS
21. FOR EVERY GALLON OF DIESEL IT USED HOW FAR DID THE QE2 CRUISE LINER MOVE? 15CMS/6"

The scores were.....
ROB_BOB 12 (tie breaker 2m)
JUS 12 (1ft)
BUZZIE 14 (1cm)

#105749 by IAN B
Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:47 pm
Here's this week''s quiz - PM your answers

01. WHAT NAME LINKS THESE LYRICS – “MY DADDY LEFT HOME WHEN I WAS THREEâ€Â￾ AND “HERE’S MY STORY, IT’S SAD BUT TRUEâ€Â￾? SUE - "A boy named Sue" and "Runaround Sue"
02. SITUATED IN LONDON, THE OVAL IS THE HOME OF WHICH COUNTY CRICKET TEAM? SURREY
03. THE TAGUS IS THE LONGEST RIVER IN WHICH EUROPEAN COUNTRY? SPAIN
04. WHAT IS THE NAME OF POSTMAN PAT’S WIFE? SARA
05. WITH WHOM WOULD YOU ASSOCIATE THE LOGO IN PICTURE 1? DAVID and VICTORIA BECKHAM
06. 90 YEAR OLD TED INGRAM FROM DORSET HAS JUST NAMED AS THE COUNTRY’S OLDEST BODYBUILDER, LIFEGUARD OR PAPERBOY? PAPERBOY
07. IN WHICH YEAR WERE THE FOLLOWING SONGS UK HITS – “IT AIN’T WHAT YOU DOâ€Â￾ BY FUN BOY THREE & BANANARAMA, “GOLDâ€Â￾ BY SPANDAU BALLET AND “LOVE OF THE COMMON PEOPLEâ€Â￾ BY PAUL YOUNG? 1983
08. WHICH COUNTRY HAS PROVIDED THE MOST FORMULA 1 WORLD MOTOR RACING CHAMPIONS? GREAT BRITAIN
09. NAME THE COUNTY HIGHLIGHTED IN PICTURE 2. HAMPSHIRE
11. WHAT WAS NOTABLE ABOUT SCOTT WELLAND COMPLETING THE 1982 DETROIT MARATHON IN 4 HOURS 07 MINUTES AND 54 SECONDS?
HE RAN BACKWARDS

12. NAME THE YEAR. IN THE UK THE USE OF SEAT BELTS IN THE FRONT OF CARS BECAME COMPULSORY, NEIL KINNOCK BECAME LEADER OF
THE LABOUR PARTY AND BJORN BORG RETIRED FROM TENNIS. 1983
13. WHO HAD THEIR FIRST UK No1 IN 1954 THEN, DESPITE 29 TOP 40 HITS, HAD TO WAIT 12 YEARS FOR ANOTHER No1? FRANK SINATRA
14. WHICH TWO GERMAN BORN TENNIS PLAYERS WON TEN MEN’S SINGLES GRAND TITLES BETWEEN THEM DURING THE 1980s? BORIS BECKER and JOHN McENROE
15. THE HORSE THAT THE DUKE OF WELLINGTON RODE AT WATERLOO SHARES ITS’ NAME WITH WHICH EUROPEAN CAPITAL CITY? COPENHAGEN
16. AS PORTRAYED BY THE TV CARTOON “SOUTH PARKâ€Â￾ NAME THE PERSON SHOWN IN PICTURE 3. BRITNEY SPEARS
17. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING IS NOT A REAL HYBRID ANIMAL – BEEFALO, PIZZLY BEAR, SHOAT OR TROG? TROG
18. WHO AM I? I WAS BORN IN 1859 IN EDINBURGH. ALTHOUGH A DOCTOR BY PROFESSION, I PLAYED IN GOAL FOR PORTSMOUTH, TOOK THE WICKET OF WG GRACE AND, IN 1887, WROTE THE FIRST OF 60 STORIES ABOUT MY MOST FAMOUS CREATION. ARTHUR CONAN DOYLE
19. A SUNDERLAND CHIP SHOP HAS ATTRACTED CUSTOMERS AND CONTROVERSY IN EQUAL MEASURES WITH ITS’ SALE OF BATTERED WHAT? FROG'S LEGS
20. A ROMANIAN TOWN HAS INSTALLED NEW TRAFFIC SIGNS WARNING DRIVERS OF WHAT HAZARD IN THE ROAD? DRUNKS
21. ACCORDING TO THE “GUINNESS BOOK OF RECORDSâ€Â￾ WHAT IS THE RECORD FOR THE MOST TATTOOS CREATED BY ONE ARTIST IN 24 HOURS? 801

Just the two entries this week....
JUS 11 (tie breaker 300)
ROB_BOB 15 (240)

#105873 by IAN B
Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:16 am
The Travs regulars found this quite tough - PM your answers
01. WHAT WORD DESCRIBES MOTT THE HOOPLE’S “AGE OF ROCK ‘N’ ROLLâ€Â￾, TINA TURNER’S “EYEâ€Â￾ AND BIFFY CLYRO’S “RULE"? GOLDEN
02. IN WHICH SPORT MIGHT YOU SEE RUDOLPH AND RANDOLPH? TRAMPOLINING
03. WHICH IS THE ONLY AUSTRALIAN STATE THAT DOES NOT HAVE A BORDER WITH ANOTHER STATE? {color=red]TASMANIA[/color]
04. IN WHICH 80s TELEVISION SHOW WAS “THE KEBAB & CALCULATORâ€Â￾ THE LOCAL PUB? "THE YOUNG ONES"
05. WHICH ANIMAL IS USED AS THE SYMBOL OF THE WORLD WILDLIFE FUND? GIANT PANDA
06. WHICH BRITISH DAILY NEWSPAPER HAS JUST BEEN BOUGHT BY A RUSSIAN BILLIONAIRE FOR £1? "THE INDEPENDENT"
07. IN WHICH YEAR WERE THE FOLLOWING SONGS UK HITS – “THE SHOW MUST GO ONâ€Â￾ BY QUEEN, “LAST TRAIN TO TRANSCENTRALâ€Â￾ BY KLF AND “MORE THAN WORDSâ€Â￾ BY EXTREME? 1991
08. WITH WHICH SPORT WOULD YOU ASSOCIATE THE TROPHY IN PICTURE 1? MOTOR RACING - it's the F1 drivers trophy
09. IN WHICH CITY ARE THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND THE KRONENBOURG BREWERY LOCATED? STRASBOURG
11. PICTURE 2 SHOWS THE LOGO OF WHICH COMPANY? NESTLE
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE FIRST “SPORT RELIEFâ€Â￾ TOOK PLACE, THE WORLD WRESTLING FEDERATION WAS FORCED TO CHANGE ITS’ NAME
AND KELLY CLARKSON WAS THE FIRST WINNER OF “AMERICAN IDOLâ€Â￾. 2002
13. WHICH ALBUM BY A SINGLE ARTIST OR BAND HAS HAD THE MOST UK TOP 20 SINGLES RELEASED FROM IT? "BAD"
14. IN 1936 ALEX EHRLICH AND PANETH FRACAS TOOK 2 HOURS 12 MINUTES TO COMPLETE THE FIRST POINT IN THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
OF WHICH SPORT? TABLE TENNIS
15. NAME THE COUNTY HIGHLIGHTED IN PICTURE 3. MERSEYSIDE
16. WHAT DOES THE ‘I’ IN “ITVâ€Â￾ AND “ITNâ€Â￾ STAND FOR? INDEPENDENT
17. WHAT IS ONE OF THE MAIN INGREDIENTS IN THE CHINESE DELICACY BIRD’S NEST SOUP – BIRD DROPPINGS, BIRD SALIVA OR DEAD CHICKS? SALIVA
18. WHO AM I? I WAS BORN IN LONDON IN 1897. IT WAS WHILST WORKING AS A DOCTOR THAT I HAD MY FIRST BOOK PUBLISHED IN 1922. ONE OF THE MOST PROLIFIC FEMALE AUTHORS, I WROTE OVER 800 BOOKS, CREATING SOME OF LITERATURE’S MOST FAMOUS CHARACTERS. ENID BLYTON
19. A FLORIDA MAN HAS JUST BEEN SENTENCED TO 15 YEARS IN PRISON FOR BREAKING INTO WHERE? PRISON
20. LAWYERS REPRESENTING THE GOLFER TIGER WOODS ARE FIGHTING TO STOP THE RELEASE OF THE LATEST PIECE OF TIGER MERCHANDISE, WHAT IS IT? TIGER WOODS SEX DOLL
21. THE RECORD HAS RECENTLY BEEN BROKEN FOR THE LARGEST, FREE STANDING HOUSE OF PLAYING CARDS, HOW MANY CARDS WERE USED? 218792

And the scores were...
BUZZIE 10 (tie breaker 1423)
WILDROVER 13 (100000)
and the winner...
ROB_BOB 16 (1001)

#106015 by IAN B
Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:31 am
Probably a little easier this week - PM your answers

01. WHAT DO THE FOLLOWING UK No1 HITS HAVE IN COMMON – “WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDSâ€Â￾, “YOU’LL NEVER WALK ALONEâ€Â￾ AND “SPIRIT IN THE SKYâ€Â￾? THEY WERE ALL No1 FOR THREE DIFFERENT ARTISTS
02. NAME THE PERSON SHOWN IN PICTURE 1. ANDY MURRAY
03. IN TERMS OF AREA NORTH YORKSHIRE IS ENGLAND’S LARGEST COUNTY, BUT WHICH IS ITS’ SECOND LARGEST? LINCOLNSHIRE
04. WHOSE LAST STARRING ROLE IN A FEATURE FILM CAME IN THE 1969 FILM “CHANGE OF HABITâ€Â￾? ELVIS PRESLEY
05. ON A STANDARD BRITISH COMPUTER KEYBOARD OVER WHICH NUMBER WOULD YOU FIND THE £ SYMBOL? 3
06. IN WHICH COUNTRY DID THE TRADITION OF THE EASTER BUNNY BEGIN? GERMANY
07. IN WHICH YEAR WERE THE FOLLOWING SONGS UK HITS – “ALL RISEâ€Â￾ BY BLUE, “BECAUSE I GOT HIGHâ€Â￾ BY AFROMAN AND “MY WAYâ€Â￾ BY
LIMP BIZKIT? 2001
08. IN AUSTRALIAN CRICKET THE STATE TEAMS COMPETE A SHIELD THAT SHARES ITS’ NAME WITH WHICH BRITISH CITY? SHEFFIELD
09. IN LOUISIANA WHAT WOULD YOU DO WITH A ZYDECO, EAT IT, PLAY IT OR WEAR IT? PLAY IT
10. WHICH FICTIONAL TELEVISION TOWN IS SERVED BY KBBL RADIO? SPRINGFIELD in "The Simpsons"
11. PICTURE 2 SHOWS THE LOGO OF WHICH COMPANY? ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE MUSIC DOWNLOAD SITE “NAPSTERâ€Â￾ MADE ITS’ DEBUT, THE LONDON EYE OPENED AND “STAR WARS 1: THE PHANTOM MENACEâ€Â￾ BECAME THE MOST SUCCESSFUL “STAR WARSâ€Â￾ FILM. 1999
13. IN WHICH CITY WOULD YOU FIND THE STATUE SHOWN IN PICTURE 3? DUBLIN - it's Thin Lizzy frontman Phil Lynott
14. IN GAELIC THE NAME OF ABERDEEN FC’S GROUND PITTORDRIE MEANS BLACK HILL, COAL HILL OR DUNG HILL? DUNG HILL
15. WHICH IS THE MOST WESTERLY CAPITAL CITY IN MAINLAND EUROPE? LISBON
16. IN THE STORY OF “THE WIZARD OF OZâ€Â￾ IN WHICH AMERICAN STATE DOES DOROTHY LIVE? KANSAS
17. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING IS NOT A REAL HYBRID ANIMAL – CAMA, LIGER, STEASEL OR ZORSE? STEASEL
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN LONDON IN 1973, I FIRST TASTED SUCCESS ON A TALENT SHOW IN THE EARLY 90s. I RELEASED MY FIRST SINGLE IN 1993 AND THE FIRST OF MY THREE UK No1 HITS IN 1996. AFTER BEING DROPPED BY MY RECORD LABEL I TURNED TO TV TO REVIVE MY
CAREER, WHERE I NOW WORK AS A SHOWBIZ REPORTER. PETER ANDRE
19. MADE IN 1821, A LINCOLNSHIRE GRANDMOTHER CLAIMS TO BE THE OWNER OF THE WORLD’S OLDEST EXISTING WHAT? HOT CROSS BUN
20. A GREAT GRANDMOTHER HAS BEEN FINED AND TAGGED FOR SELLING WHAT ANIMAL TO A 14 YEAR OLD BOY? GOLSDFISH
21. IN LBS HOW HEAVY IS THE LARGEST EDIBLE EASTER EGG EVER MADE? 4290lbs

Another week with only one entrant, so the winner is...
ROB_BOB 14 (tie breaker 1000lbs)
Last edited by IAN B on Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

#106029 by Queen Daisie
Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:52 pm
oh

#106030 by IAN B
Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:38 am
Ignoring the above intrusion :wink:, here's this week's offering from TheTravs resident quizmaster - PM your answers

01. JOHNNY DUNCAN’S WENT TO SAN FERNANDO, ELO’S TO LONDON AND THE LOSTPROPHET’S WENT HOME, WHAT ARE THEY? LAST TRAINS
02. PICTURE 1 SHOWS THE BADGE OF WHICH ENGLISH FOOTBALL CLUB?ROTHERHAM UNITED - calling them the best team in Sheffield did not amuse my teams
03. WHICH TOURIST ATTRACTION CAN BE FOUND AT HOLLYWOOD BOULEVARD AND VINE STREET IN LOS ANGELES? HOLLYWOOD WALK OF FAME
04. WHICH OF THE TELEVISION DUO, ANT AND DEC, IS ALWAYS SEEN ON THE RIGHT OF THE TELEVISION SCREEN? DEC
05. CREATED BY ENID BLYTON, HOW MANY LEGS DID THE FAMOUS FIVE HAVE? 12
06. IT WAS ANNOUNCED THIS WEEK THAT BRITISH AIRWAYS IS TO MERGE WITH WHICH OTHER NATIONAL AIRLINE? IBERIA
07. IN WHICH YEAR WERE THE FOLLOWING SONGS UK HITS – “MASSACHUSETTSâ€Â￾ BY THE BEE GEES, “I CAN SEE FOR MILESâ€Â￾ BY THE WHO AND “THANK YOU VERY MUCHâ€Â￾ BY THE SCAFFOLD? 1967
08. HOW MANY GOALPOSTS ARE THERE ON AN AUSTRALIAN RULES FOOTBALL PITCH? 8
09. THE NAMES OF WHICH TWO US STATES BEGIN WITH NORTH? CAROLINA and DAKOTA
10. NAME THE OSCAR-WINNING ACTRESS SHOWN IN HER YOUNGER DAYS IN PICTURE 2. KATE WINSLET
11. IN 1947 FRUIT FLIES BECAME THE FIRST ANIMALS TO DO WHAT? GO INTO SPACE
12. NAME THE YEAR. RUPERT MURDOCH BOUGHT “THE NEWS OF THE WORLDâ€Â￾, THE HALFPENNY CEASED TO BE LEGAL TENDER IN THE UK AND SEVEN-TIME WORLD SNOOKER CHAMPION STEPHEN HENDRY WAS BORN. 1969
13. NAME ONE OF THE TWO BEATLES WHO WAS NOT BORN IN LIVERPOOL. PETE BEST and STU SUTCLIFFE
14. OLYMPIC ROWING GOLD MEDALLIST MATTHEW PINSENT COMPETED IN THREE UNIVERSITY BOAT RACES, BUT FOR WHICH UNIVERSITY? OXFORD
15. ST PETER PORT IS THE CAPITAL OF WHICH PART OF GREAT BRITAIN? GUERNSEY
16. IN THE NAME OF THE TV SHOPPING CHANNEL “QVCâ€Â￾, WHAT DO THE INITIALS ‘QVC’ STAND FOR? QUALITY VALUE CRAP sorry CONVENIENCE
17. WHICH ORGANISATION DOES THE LOGO IN PICTURE 3 BELONG TO – THE HOLE IN THE HEART FOUNDATION, THE POLO MINT SOCIETY OR THE WORLD TOILET ORGANISATION? THE WORLD TOILET ORGANISATION :smile:
18. WHO AM I? I WAS BORN IN ANFIELD, LIVERPOOL IN 1952. MY COMEDY CAREER BEGAN AS THE FIRST MC OF THE COMEDY STORE. AWAY FROM COMEDY I HAVE ACTED IN VARIOUS FILMS AND SHAKESPEAREAN THEATRE ALSO HAVING A TOP 20 SINGLE IN 1984. ALEXAI SAYLE
19. POLICE IN NORTH YORKSHIRE FINED A RETAILER WHEN THEY SEIZED HIS 4 FOOT STONE WHAT FROM OUTSIDE HIS SHOP? PENIS - the team who put 'cock' got the point after they persuaded mean they hadn't meant a 4ft stone chicken
20. THE ITALIAN TOWN OF MOGLIANO HAS ERECTED NEW ROAD SIGNS WARNING DRIVERS OF WHAT? PROSTITUTES
21. THE LAST TIME A POPE RESIGNED FROM THE POSITION WAS IN WHAT YEAR? 1417

Apologies for the late answers/scores - I've been away, nothing to do with ash, just laziness

JUS 8 (tie breaker 1345)
LITTLE MO 15 (1359)
ROB_BOB 16 (1666)

#106277 by IAN B
Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:16 pm
A couple of days early this week so no sneaking up to Sheffield with the answers - PM your answers

01. WHAT COLOUR LINKS THE FOLLOWING SONG LYRICS – “THEY TOOK ALL THE TREESâ€Â￾, “I CAME ALONG, I WROTE A SONG FOR YOUâ€Â￾ AND
â€Â￾SO WE SAILED ON TO THE SUNâ€Â￾? YELLOW - "Big yellow taxi", "Yellow" and "Yellow submarine"
02. IN 1991 THE GRAND NATIONAL WINNER HAD THE SAME NAME AS THE EVENT’S SPONSOR, WHAT WAS IT? SEAGRAM
03. IN WHICH SOUTH AMERICAN COUNTRY DID PANAMA HATS ORIGINATE? ECUADOR
04. NAME THREE OF THE MAIN CHARACTERS IN THE TELVISION SHOW “THE YOUNG ONESâ€Â￾. MIKE, NEIL, RICK and VYVYAN
05. IN WHICH EUROPEAN COUNTRY WAS THE RESTAURANT CRITIC EGON RONAY BORN? HUNGARY
06. WHAT IS THE TOPICAL LINK BETWEEN SHEFFIELD, WITNEY, KIRKCALDY AND COWDENBEATH? THE CONSTITUENCIES OF THE THREE MAIN POLITICAL PERTY LEADERS
07. IN WHICH YEAR WERE THE FOLLOWING SONGS UK HITS – “I’M MANDY FLYMEâ€Â￾ BY 10CC, “CAN’T GET BY WITHOUT YOUâ€Â￾ BY THE REAL THING AND “I AM A CIDER DRINKERâ€Â￾ BY THE WURZELS 1976
08. DURING ENGLAND’S QUALIFYING CAMPAIGN FOR THE 2010 WORLD CUP SIX PLAYERS SCORED THREE OR MORE GOALS, NAME ANY FOUR
OF THEM. ROONEY, CROUCH, DEFOE, LAMPARD, GERRARD and WALCOTT
09. NAME THE AFRICAN COUNTRY SHOWN IN PICTURE 1. UGANDA
10. NAME ONE OF THE TELEVISION PERSONALITIES WHO PROVIDE THE VOICES FOR THE TELEPHONE AND THE MOUSE IN THE DIRECT LINE ADVERTS. STEPHEN FRY and PAUL MERTON
11. WHICH ARE THE ONLY TWO MONTHS OF THE YEAR TO BE NAMED AFTER REAL PEOPLE? JULY and AUGUST
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE BALTIC STATES DECLARED THEIR INDEPENDENCE FROM RUSSIA, “BOTTOMâ€Â￾ MADE ITS’ TELEVISION DEBUT AND A RE-RELEASE OF QUEEN’S “BOHEMIAN RHAPSODYâ€Â￾ TOPPED THE UK CHARTS. 1991
13. THERE ARE THREE PEOPLE FROM THE WORLD OF MUSIC WITH THE INITIALS ‘BM’ WHO HAVE STARS ON THE HOLLYWOOD WALK OF FAME, NAME TWO OF THEM. BARRY MANILOW, BOB MARLEY and BETTE MIDLER
14. NAME THE SPORTING TROPHY SHOWN IN PICTURE 2. THE WOMEN'S FA CUP
15. WHICH LONDON LANDMARK WAS ORIGINALLY DESIGNED AS THE GATEWAY TO BUCKINGHAM PALACE? MARBLE ARCH
16. AS PORTRAYED BY “THE SIMPSONSâ€Â￾ NAME THE PERSON SHOWN IN PICTURE 3. LIONEL RICHIE
17. A GIRAFFE IS THE ONLY ANIMAL BORN WITH WHAT? HORNS
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN LONDON IN 1928 I BECAME A PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALLER WITH BRENTFORD AT THE RELATIVELY LATE AGE OF 21 BEFORE MOVING ON TO FULHAM. RETIRING AGED33, I BECAME A MANAGER BEFORE MOVING INTO BROADCASTING IN 1967. MY INVOLVEMENT IN FOOTBALL ALSO INCLUDES BEING A CHAIRMAN, A MANAGING DIRECTOR AND A LINESMAN. JIMMY HILL
19. A WATER AEROBICS CLASS AT A A HOLIDAY CAMP IN DARWIN, AUSTRALIA WAS INTERRUPTED BY WHAT? CROCODILE
20. AN IRANIAN CLERIC HAS CLAIMED THAT WOMEN SHOWING TOO MUCH CLEAVAGE HAS LED TO AN INCREASE IN WHAT? EARTHQUAKES - they've got to be some seriously big....
21. HOW HIGH, IN FEET, IS THE VOLCANO THAT HAS CAUSED THE RECENT AIR TRAVEL CHAOS? 5466

And the scores were....
DAZ 12 (tie breaker 1050)
JUS 12 (1900)
and the winner by one point....
BUZZIE 13 (5280)

#106570 by IAN B
Sat May 08, 2010 8:54 am
No quiz last week as The Travs was full of Wednesday fans crying in their beer, but I'm back this week with this one - PM your answers

01. WHICH CELESTIAL BODY HAS BEEN A HIT FOR SHOCKING BLUE, DON PABLO’S ANIMALS AND BANANARAMA? VENUS
02. THE NEW WORLD SNOOKER CHAMPION, NEIL ROBERTSON, IS THE FIRST PLAYER FOR 58 YEARS FROM WHICH COUNTRY TO WIN THE TITLE? AUSTRALIA
03. NAME TWO OF THE THREE COUNTRIES THAT ARE HOME TO THE MOST NATIVE SPANISH SPEAKING INHABITANTS. MEXICO, COLOMBIA and USA
04. WHO HAS APPEARED ON TELEVISION WITH MELANIE SYKES, EDDIE “THE EAGLEâ€Â￾ EDWARDS, RICKY HATTON AND GEOFF CAPES? CHURCHILL THE DOG
05. NAME THE PERSON SHOWN IN HER YOUNGER DAYS IN PICTURE 1. KATE MOSS
06. THE FIRST THREE RESULTS DECLARED IN THIS WEEK’S GENERAL ELECTION WERE IN CONSTITUENCIES BASED AROUND WHICH
ENGLISH CITY? SUNDERLAND
07. IN WHICH YEAR WERE THE FOLLOWING SONGS UK HITS – “TEARDROPSâ€Â￾ BY WOMACK & WOMACK, “THEME FROM S-EXPRESSâ€Â￾ BY S-EXPRESS AND “TRIBUTEâ€Â￾ BY THE PASADENAS? 1988
08. WHAT POSITION TRADITIONALLY WEARS NUMBER 15 IN RUGBY UNION AND NUMBER 1 IN RUGBY LEAGUE? FULL BACK
09. IN WHICH AMERICAN CITY COULD YOU FIND THE AREA KNOWN AS HELL’S KITCHEN? NEW YORK CITY
10. NAME THE COUPLE SHOWN IN CARTOON FORM IN PICTURE 2. ANGELINA JOLIE and BRAD PITT
11. BY WHAT NAME IS THE POLYGRAPH BETTER KNOWN? LIE DETECTOR
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE CHERNOBYL NUCLEAR DISASTER OCCURED, “CASUALTYâ€Â￾ MADE ITS’ TELEVISION DEBUT AND CHART TOPPER LADY GAGA WAS BORN. 1986
13. WHAT IS NOTABLE ABOUT THE 1953 UK No1 HIT “HOW MUCH IS THAT DOGGIE IN THE WINDOWâ€Â￾ BY LITA ROZA? THE FIRST UK No1 BY A BRITISH FEMALE
14. THE OLYMPIC DIVING COMPETITIONS TAKE PLACE ON BOARDS AT WHICH THREE DIFFERENT HEIGHT? 1m, 3m and 10m
15. NAME THE BUILDING SHOWN IN PICTURE 3. FORT KNOX
16. OFTEN SEEN ON TV, BY WHAT NAME IS PATRICK CLIFTON BETTER KNOWN? POSTMAN PAT
17. WHAT DOES A CAMEL STORE IN ITS’ HUMP? FAT
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN 1930 IN EDINBURGH, I WORKED AS A MILKMAN, A COFFIN POLISHER AND WAS IN THE ROYAL NAVY BEFORE MY
ACTING DEBUT. A FORMER MR UNIVERSE COMPETITOR, I APPEARED IN THE FIRST OF MY 75 FILMS IN 1954, WINNING MY ONLY OSCAR IN 1988. SIR SEAN CONNERY
19. A DEVON WOMAN WENT TO BED WITH A MIGRAINE AND WOKE UP WITH WHAT? A CHINESE ACCENT
20. THE AVOCADO TAKES ITS’ NAME FROM A NATIVE MEXICAN WORD FOR WHAT? TESTICLE
21. DURING THE 2010 NFL SEASON HOW MANY MILES WILL THE DALLAS COWBOYS TRAVEL TO FULFIL THEIR AWAY GAMES? 15228

ImageImage

The scores were as follows.....
ROB_BOB 13 (tie breaker 15000)
BUZZIE 13 (15300)
WILDROVER 17 (so confident he didn't put a tie breaker :wink:)
Last edited by IAN B on Sat May 22, 2010 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

#106801 by IAN B
Wed May 19, 2010 1:15 pm
Apologies, a bit late posting this week's quiz - PM your answers

01. IF YOU ADDED TOGETHER EDDIE COCHRAN’S “STEPSâ€Â￾ CRAIG DAVID’S “DAYSâ€Â￾ AND THE PRETENDERS’ “MILESâ€Â￾ WHAT NUMBER WOULD YOU HAVE? 2010 (3+7+2000)
02. IN THE NAME OF THE FOOTBALL CLUBS REAL MADRID AND REAL SOCIEDAD WHAT DOES THE WORD ‘REAL’ MEAN? ROYAL
03. WHICH ESSEX TOWN TAKES ITS’ NAME FROM ITS’ MEDIEVAL PRODUCTION OF THE WORLD’S MOST EXPENSIVE SPICE? SAFFRON WALDEN
04. NAME THE CHILDREN’S TELEVISION PROGRAMME SHOWN IN PICTURE 1. "BUTTON MOON"
05. WHAT DOES THE ‘E’ IN E-MAIL STAND FOR? ELECTRONIC
06. WALKER’S HAVE LAUNCHED A RANGE OF CRISPS TO COINCIDE WITH THE WORLD CUP, WHAT FLAVOUR IS REPRESENTING ENGLAND? ROAST BEEF & YORKSHIRE PUDDING
07. IN WHICH YEAR WERE THE FOLLOWING SONGS UK HITS – “THAT DON’T
IMPRESS ME MUCHâ€Â￾ BY SHANIA TWAIN, “MI CHICO LATINOâ€Â￾ BY GERI HALLIWELL AND “TURNâ€Â￾ BY TRAVIS? 1999
08. WHEN ENGLAND HOSTED THE 1966 FOOTBALL WORLD CUP WHO WERE THE REIGNING CHAMPIONS? BRAZIL
09. WHICH LONDON DISTRICT, WITH THE POSTCODE E14, SHARES ITS’ NAME WITH A TYPE OF TREE? POPLAR
10. BORN THOMAS MAPOTHER IV IN 1962 BY WHAT NAME IS THIS FAMOUS ACTOR BETTER KNOWN? TOM CRUISE
11. ARE THERE MORE SECONDS IN A WEEK OR MORE MINUTES IN A YEAR? SECONDS IN A WEEK (604800)
12. NAME THE YEAR. BRITAIN OPENED ITS’ FIRST NUDIST BEACH IN BRIGHTON, THE WHO PERFORMED THEIR FIRST CONCERT AFTER THE
DEATH OF DRUMMER KEITH MOON AND THE ACTOR JOHN WAYNE DIED. 1979
13. NAME THE SINGER SHOWN IN CARTOON FORM IN PICTURE 2. BILLY IDOL
14. IN WHICH CITY DID ENGLAND WIN THE 2003 RUGBY UNION WORLD CUP? SYDNEY
15. NAME THE COUNTY HIGHLIGHTED IN PICTURE 3. CAMBRIDGESHIRE
16. WHICH CELEBRITY CHEF IS CURRENTLY ‘THE FACE’ OF SAINSBURY’S ON THEIR TELEVISION ADVERTS? JAMIE OLIVER
17. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING IS NOT A REAL CREATURE – THE AGRA VATION, THE TITI MONKEY, THE HAIRY BEAVER OR THE REEBOK? THE HAIRY BEAVER
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN DAGENHAM IN 1943, I WAS A SUCCESSFUL FOOTBALLER PLAYING FOR FOUR TOP ENGLISH CLUBS BEFORE BECOMING
A MANAGER IN 1976. AWAY FROM FOOTBALL I HAVE CO-WRITTEN FOUR NOVELS, CREATED A TV CHARACTER, DEVISED A BOARD GAME AND PERFORMED AS A SINGER. TERRY VENABLES
19. A CANADIAN ICE HOCKEY COACH WAS SUSPENDED BY HIS TEAM WHEN HE WAS FOUND GIVING THE PLAYERS WHAT? BEER - the players were 10 years old
20. LOCAL RESIDENTS IN THE COTSWOLDS WERE SHOCKED TO FIND THE ERECTION OF A BROWN TOURIST INFORMATION ROADSIGN FOR WHAT? A DOGGING SITE
21. ACCORDING TO A SURVEY CONDUCTED BY THE HALIFAX BANK HOW MANY HIGH STREETS ARE THERE IN BRITAIN? 5410

And the scores.....
DAZ 12 (tie breaker 11000)
BUZZIE 13 (4650)
and the winner on the tie breaker.....
TALLSCOT 13 (5000)

Forgot to post last Sunday's quiz so I'll return over the Bank Holiday weekend with another offering.

#107004 by IAN B
Sun May 30, 2010 9:53 am
As promised another offering from The Travs resident quizmaster - PM your answers

01. WHAT NUMBER LINKS KYLIE MINOGUE’S UK No1 HITS, THE TEARS IN A No1 FOR THE GOOMBAY DANCE BAND AND THE HIGHEST CHART POSITION THAT MADNESS’ “ONE STEP BEYONDâ€Â￾ REACHED? 7
02. IN GAELIC FOOTBALL HOW MANY POINTS IS A GOAL WORTH? 3
03. WHICH FAMOUS CITY INCLUDES DISTRICTS CALLED CAMDEN, CANTERBURY, LIVERPOOL AND PENRITH? SYDNEY
04. IN THE TV SHOW “DAD’S ARMYâ€Â￾ WHAT WAS CAPTAIN MAINWARING’S JOB? BANK MANAGER
05. THE PERSON IN PICTURE 1 IS FAMOUS FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT OF WHICH ORGANISATION? THE NHS - it's Aneurin Bevan
06. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE TRADE UNION AT THE CENTRE OF THE BRITISH AIRWAYS STRIKE? UNITE
07. IN WHICH YEAR WERE THE FOLLOWING SONGS UK HITS – “VIVA FOREVERâ€Â￾ BY THE SPICE GIRLS “MY OH MYâ€Â￾ BY AQUA AND CHEF’S “CHOCOLATE SALTY BALLS? 1998
08. HOW MANY COUNTRIES CURRENTLY PLAY TEST MATCH CRICKET? 9 - Australia, Bangladesh, England, India, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Africa, Sri Lanka and West Indies
09. PICTURE 2 SHOWS AN AERIAL VIEW OF WHICH CITY? GLASGOW
10. WHICH SERIES OF FILMS WERE SET IN THE FICTIONAL CALIFORNIAN TOWN OF HILL VALLEY? "BACK TO THE FUTURE"
11. QUEEN ELIZABETH II WAS THE FIRST REIGNING MONARCH OF THE 20th CENTURY TO GIVE BIRTH, BUT WHO WAS THE CHILD?
PRINCE ANDREW
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE FARTHING CEASED TO BE LEGAL TENDER IN THE UK, THE BEATLES PEFORMED THEIR FIRST GIG AT THE CAVERN
CLUB AND THE ACTOR GEORGE CLOONEY WAS BORN. 1961
13. WHICH FAMOUS SINGER CO-WROTE THE 1991 No1 HIT “DO THE BARTMANâ€Â￾? MICHAEL JACKSON
14. WHO WAS THE FIRST FOOTBALLER TO BE THE BBC SPORTS PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR? BOBBY MOORE
15. WHICH POPULAR HOLIDAY DESTINATION IS ALSO KNOWN AS “THE WHITE ISLEâ€Â￾? IBIZA
16. PICTURE 3 SHOWS A POSTER FOR WHICH 1996 FILM? "TRAINSPOTTING"
17. FROM WHICH LANGUAGE ARE THE ENGLISH WORDS “JUGGERNAUTâ€Â￾, “PUNDIT" AND "THUG"? HINDU
18. WHO AM I? BORN PETER WILLIAMS IN CHESHIRE IN 1937, I WAS A TEACHER WHO ENTERED COMEDY PART-TIME, WORKING THE LANCASHIRE CLUBS. I GOT MY BIG BREAK VIA A 70s TV SHOW BEFORE PRESENTING MY MOST FAMOUS GAME SHOW FROM 1981-95. I NOW WORK IN LOCAL RADIO. JIM BOWEN
19. BRITAIN HOLDS ANOTHER LAND SPEED RECORD AFTER DON WALES ACHIEVED 87.833MPH ON WHAT? A LAWNMOWER
20. SOMERSET MOTHER’S UNION HAVE BEEN ASKED TO KNIT 150 WHAT TO HELP EXPECTANT MOTHERS IN THE AREA? WOOLY BREASTS
21. IN WHAT YEAR DID THE £1000 NOTE CEASE TO BE LEGAL TENDER IN THE UK? 1945

Jus the one entry this week so the winner is...
JUS 9 (tie breaker 1957)

#107099 by IAN B
Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:07 am
With the World Cup fast approaching a World Cup themed quiz (Jus will be thrilled) - don't worry not all the questions are about football - PM your answers

01. IN THE 1998 HIT “VINDALOOâ€Â￾ BY FAT LES, APART FROM VINDALOO, WHAT OTHER ITEM OF FOOD WAS MENTIONED? A LUMP OF CHEDDAR CHEESE
02. WHO HAS SCORED THE MOST GOALS FOR ENGLAND IN WORLD CUP FINAL TOURNAMENTS? GARY LINEKER
03. THE 1994 WORLD CUP FINAL WAS PLAYED IN PASADENA, IN WHICH US STATE IS PASADENA? CALIFORNIA
04. IN WHAT YEAR WERE THE WORLD CUP FINALS FIRST TELEVISED IN COLOUR IN BRTAIN? 1970
05. PICTURE 1 SHOWS THE 1966 WORLD CUP MASCOT, WHAT WAS HE CALLED? WORLD CUP WILLIE
06. WHAT TYPE OF ANIMAL IS THE 2010 WORLD CUP MASCOT, ZAKUMI? LEOPARD - with green hair???
07. IN WHICH WORLD CUP YEAR THE FOLLOWING SONGS RELEASED – “YER MANâ€Â￾ BY NORTHERN IRELAND AND DANA, “WE HAVE A DREAMâ€Â￾ BY SCOTLAND AND “THIS TIMEâ€Â￾ BY ENGLAND? 1982
08. WHICH PREMIERSHIP CLUB HAS PROVIDED THE MOST PLAYERS FOR ENGLAND’S 2010 SQUAD? SPURS
09. PICTURE 2 SHOWS THE FLAG OF WHICH WORLD CUP HOST COUNTRY? SOUTH KOREA
10. DURING THE 2010 WORLD CUP HOW MANY BRITISH HOUSEHOLDS WILL ONLY BE ABLE TO WATCH THE GAMES IN BLACK & WHITE – 5000, 25000 OR 50000? 25000
11. NAME THE PERSON SHOWN IN PICTURE 3. JULES RIMET
12. NAME THE YEAR. IT BECAME THE FIFTH TIME THE HOST NATION WON THE WORLD CUP, BRAZIL FINISHED THIRD DESPITE NOT LOSING A GAME AND ENGLAND MIDFIELDER FRANK LAMPARD WAS BORN. 1978
13. NAME THE CHART-TOPPING BAND SHOWN IN PICTURE 4. THE LIGHTNING SEEDS
14. EVERYONE REMEMBERS GEOFF HURST’S 1966 HAT-TRICK, BUT WHO SCORED ENGLAND’S OTHER GOAL IN THE FINAL? MARTIN PETERS
15. WHICH HOST COUNTRY HAD THE CHARACTER IN PICTURE 5 AS THEIR WORLD CUP MASCOT? USA
16. IN THE 1982 FINALS WHAT DID HOST NATION SPAIN HAVE AS A MASCOT – A BULL, AN OLIVE OR AN ORANGE? AN ORANGE
17. WHO AM I? BORN IN COUNTY DURHAM IN 1957, I MADE BY CLUB DEBUT IN 1974. I WON THE FIRST OF 90 ENGLAND CAPS IN 1980, CAPTAINING MY COUNTRY 65 TIMES AND IN TWO WORLD CUPS. FOR 20 YEARS I HELD THE RECORD OF THE FASTEST WORLD CUP FINALS GOAL. BRYAN ROBSON
18. FOLLOWING A 1993 QUALIFYING GAME WHY DID THE ALBANIAN COACH STOP HIS PLAYERS SWAPPING SHIRTS – THEY HAD FORGOTTEN TO TAKE THE TEAM PHOTO BEFORE THE GAME, THE DIDN’T HAVE ANY NEW SHIRTS FOR THE NEXT GAME OR THEY FELT SPAIN HAD INSULTED THEM BY WINNING 10-0? THEY DIDN'T HAVE ANY NEW SHIRTS
19. DURING THE 1966 FINALS WHY WAS ONE GAME PLAYED AT LONDON’S WHITE CITY STADIUM – THE WEMBLEY GROUNDSMAN ACCIDENTLY FLOODED THE PITCH, WEMBLEY’S OWNERS REFUSED TO CANCEL A GREYHOUND MEETING OR A LOCAL CHURCH OBJECTED TO WEMBLEY BEING USED ON A SUNDAY? WEMBLEY'S OWNERS REFUSED TO CANCEL A GREYHOUND MEETING
20. WHY DID INDIA REFUSE TO PLAY IN THE 1950 WORLD CUP FINALS – THE FINALS CLASHED WITH AN INDIAN RELIGIOUS FESTIVAL, THEY COULD NOT GET CURRY IN THE HOST COUNTRY BRAZIL OR THEY WERE REFUSED PERMISSION TO PLAY IN BARE FEET? THEY WERE REFUSED PERMISSION TO PLAY IN BARE FEET
21. IN TOTAL HOW MANY GOALS WERE SCORED IN ALL THE QUALIFYING TOURNAMENTS FOR THE 2010 WORLD CUP FINALS? 2337

Image Image Image Image Image

And the three entries scored...
BUZZIE 13 (tie breaker 15000)
DAZ 17 (4038)
ROB_BOB 17 (2000) - the winner on the tie break
Last edited by IAN B on Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#107314 by IAN B
Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:32 am
A couple of offerings this week, for which I'll provide the answers w/c 28th June - PM your answers

01. THE FOLLOWING SONGS WERE THE BIGGEST HITS FOR SINGERS WHO SHARE WHICH FIRST NAME - "LITTLE CHILDREN", "SHE'S LEAVING HOME" AND "WHITE WEDDING"? BILLY - J KRAMER, BRAGG and IDOL
02. ON WHAT MAKE OF MOTORBIKE DID CARL FOGERTY WIN HIS FOUR WORLD SUPERBIKE CHAMPIONSHIPS? DUCATI
03. NAME THE CITY SHOWN IN PICTURE 2. NOTTINGHAM
04. THE TV SHOW “GOING STRAIGHTâ€Â￾ WAS THE SEQUEL TO WHICH OTHER SHOW? "PORRIDGE"
05. IN WHICH MONTH OF THE YEAR IS ST. SWITHIN’S DAY? JULY
06. WHICH FAMOUS STUDIOS ARE HOME TO THE “BIG BROTHERâ€Â￾ HOUSE? ELSTREE
07. IN WHICH YEAR WERE THE FOLLOWING SONGS UK HITS – “BUBBLINâ€Â￾ BY BLUE, “DRY YOUR EYESâ€Â￾ BY THE STREETS AND “CAR WASHâ€Â￾ BY CHRISTINA AGUILERA? 2004
08. IN WHICH SCOTTISH CITY ARE THE TWO CLOSEST FOOTBALL STADIA? DUNDEE
09. IN WHICH US STATE IS THE GAMBLING RESORT OF ATLANTIC CITY? NEW JERSEY
10. IN WHICH 1980 FILM DID JACK NICHOLSON ANNOUNCE “HERE’S JOHNNYâ€Â￾? "THE SHINING"
11. IN WHAT YEAR WAS THE USE OF HAND SIGNALS REMOVED FROM THE BRITISH DRIVING TEST – 1975, 1985 OR 1995? 1975
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE FIRST FORD MUSTANG WAS BUILT, RADIO CAROLINE BECAME THE UK’S FIRST PIRATE RADIO STATION AND FOOTBALL’S SECOND EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS WAS WON BY SPAIN. 1964
13. NAME THE CELEBRITY SHOWN IN HER YOUNGER DAYS IN PICTURE 2. CHERYL COLE
14. THREE US CITIES HAVE HOSTED THE SUMMER OLYMPIC GAMES, NAME THEM. ST LOUIS, LOS ANGELES and ATLANTA
15. WHICH POPULAR HOLIDAY DESTINATION IS THE SECOND LARGEST OF GREECE’S IONIAN ISLANDS? CORFU
16. PICTURE 3 SHOWS A POSTER FROM WHICH FILM? "SHAUN OF THE DEAD"
17. FAMOUS FOR HIS KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN, WHAT WAS COLONEL SANDERS’ FIRST NAME? HARLAND
18. WHO AM I? BORN ORVILLE BURRELL IN JAMAICA IN 1968, I MOVED TO NEW YORK WHERE I JOINED THE US MARINE CORPS, SERVING IN THE
1st GULF WAR. I STARTED MY MUSIC CAREER IN 1993 WHEN MY DEBUT SINGLE WAS THE FIRST OF FOUR UK No1 HITS. MY MUSIC HAS ALSO BEEN ASSOCIATED WITH MANY SPORTING EVENTS, INCLUDING CRICKETS RECENT T20 CHAMPIONSHIPS. SHAGGY
19. TRUE OR FALSE – THEODORE TOBLER INVENTED FOUR CHOCOLATE BARS, THE FIRST BEING CALLED “TOBLER ONEâ€Â￾? FALSE
20. WHAT HAVE THE STAFF OF CLOVER TAVERNS’ PUBS DONE TO SUPPORT ENGLAND’S WORLD CUP CAMPAIGN? CHANGED THEIR NAME TO WAYNE ROONEY
21. IN 1934, THE YEAR BEFORE THE DRIVING TEST WAS INTRODUCED, HOW MANY DEATHS WERE THERE IN ROAD TRAFFIC ACCIDENTS IN BRITAIN? 7343

The scores were.....
BUZZIE 13 (tie breaker 3000)
DAZ 15 (145)
and the winner on the tie breaker...
ROB_BOB 15 (1000)

01. IF YOU ADDED TOGETHER THE NUMBERS THAT PRECEDED TOM ROBINSON’S “MOTORWAYâ€Â￾, CHERYL COLE’S “WORDSâ€Â￾ AND THE “SUMMERâ€Â￾ THAT WAS A HIT FOR BRYAN ADAMS WHAT NUMBER WOULD YOU HAVE? 92 (2+4+6+8 )+3+69
02. WHICH IS HEAVIER A BASEBALL OR A CRICKET BALL? CRICKET BALL
03. WHICH POPULAR HOLIDAY DESTINATION TRANSLATES INTO ENGLISH AS “SUNNY COASTâ€Â￾? COSTA DEL SOL
04. PICTURE 1 SHOWS THE LOGO OF WHICH 70s CHILDREN’S TELEVISION SHOW? "MAGPIE"
05. IF YOU DROVE AT A CONSTANT SPEED OF 80 KILOMETRES PER HOUR HOW LONG, TO THE NEAREST MINUTE, WOULD IT TAKE YOU TO COVER 100 MILES? 124
06. IN WHICH BODY OF WATER HAS THE DEEPWATER HORIZON OIL SPILL TAKEN PLACE? GULF OF MEXICO
07. IN WHICH YEAR WERE THE FOLLOWING SONGS UK HITS – “OLD RED EYES IS BACKâ€Â￾ BY THE BEAUTIFUL SOUTH, “PHOREVER PEOPLEâ€Â￾ BY
THE SHAMEN AND “WOULD I LIE TO YOUâ€Â￾ BY CHARLES & EDDIE? 1992
08. WHAT POSITION TRADITIONALLY WEARS NUMBER 2 IN RUGBY UNION AND NUMBER 9 IN RUGBY LEAGUE? HOOKER
09. NAME THE COUNTY HIGHLIGHTED IN PICTURE 2. DORSET
10. TRUE OR FALSE – THE ANNOYING T**T (Start again...) THE OPERA SINGER ON THE GOCOMPARE TELEVISION ADVERTS IS CALLED
GIO COMPARIO? TRUE
11. WHAT IS RED HOT DUTCH – A TYPE OF CANNABIS, A TYPE OF CHEESE, A VARIETY OF TULIP OR A TELEVISION PORN CHANNEL? TYPE OF CHEESE
12. NAME THE YEAR. NAME THE YEAR. THE VOYAGER PROBE MADE ITS’ FIRST CONTACT WITH URANUS, BUS DEREGULATION WENT INTO
EFFECT IN ENGLAND AND THE POP GROUP WHAM! SPLIT. 1986
13. WHICH 80s BRITISH BAND TOOK THEIR NAME FROM A VULCAN HIGH PRIESTESS IN THE TELEVISION SHOW “STAR TREKâ€Â￾? T'PAU
14. NAME THE SPORTING TROPHY SHOWN IN PICTURE 3. SCOTTISH FA CUP
15. WHERE AM I? A CITY SINCE 1926 WITH A POPULATION OF 200000, THIS IS THE HOME OF THE EUROPEAN HEADQUARTERS OF IBM,
BRITAIN’S LONGEST STANDING HOVERCRAFT SERVICE AND NELSON’S HMS VICTORY. PORTSMOUTH
16. WHAT TYPE OF WINE WOULD YOU ASSOCIATE WITH THE ANTHONY HOPKINS’ FILM CHARACTER HANNIBAL LECTAR? CHIANTI
17. IN HERALDRY WHAT TERM IS USED TO DESCRIBE AN ANIMAL STANDING UPRIGHT ON ITS’ REAR PAWS WITH ITS’ FOREPAWS RAISED? RAMPANT
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN WEST GERMANY IN 1955 WITH THE FIRST NAME WALTER, I WORKED AS A SECURITY GUARD AND PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR BEFORE MOVING INTO ACTING WHERE I GOT MY BIG BREAK IN A 1985 TV SERIES THAT FEATURED ONE OF MY FORMER JOBS.
MY FILM CAREER TOOK OFF IN 1988 IN THE FIRST OF A SERIES OF FILMS. I HAVE ALSO HAD TWO UK TOP TEN HITS. BRUCE WILLIS
19. A TOKYO COUPLE RECENTLY MARRIED IN THE FIRST EVER WEDDING CEREMONY TO BE CONDUCTED BY WHAT? ROBOT
20. ARCHAEOLOGISTS IN GERMANY HAVE PIECED TOGETHER MORE THAN A DOZEN FRAGMENTS THAT MAKE UP A 30000 YEAR OLD WHAT?
SEX TOY
21. IN WHAT YEAR WERE ABORIGINES FIRST GRANTED AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP? 1948

And the second set of scores were.....
BUZZIE 11 (tie breaker 1953)
ROB_BOB 16 (1988)
and the winner, a newbie to the Travs quiz.....
KING_JP 19 (1948)
Last edited by IAN B on Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:03 am, edited 5 times in total.

#107493 by IAN B
Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:54 am
Here's this week's offering from The Travs, which could end up being abandoned if England vs Germany isn't finished in 90 minutes - PM your answers

01. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING SONGS THAT HAVE ACTORS NAMES IN THE TITLE REACHED THE HIGHEST UK CHART POSITION – “BETTE DAVIS EYESâ€Â￾ BY KIM CARNES, “CLINT EASTWOODâ€Â￾ BY GORILLAZ, “MICHAEL CAINEâ€Â￾ BY MADNESS OR “ROBERT DE NIRO’S WAITINGâ€Â￾ BY BANANARAMA? "ROBERT DE NIRO'S WAITING" by BANANARAMA
02. NAME THE SPORT SHOWN IN PICTURE 1. HURLING
03. WHEN THE CZECH REPUBLIC AND SLOVAKIA BECAME INDEPENDENT COUNTRIES IN 1993 WHICH RETAINED THE OLD CZECHOSLOVAK FLAG - CZECH REPUBLIC, SLOVAKIA OR NEITHER? CZECH REPUBLIC
04. IN THE “INDIANA JONESâ€Â￾ SERIES OF FILMS WHAT WAS THE MAIN CHARACTER’S REAL FIRST NAME? HENRY
05. IN WHICH COUNTRY WAS THE DUKE OF EDINBURGH BORN? GREECE
06. WHICH CELEBRITY HAS AGREED TO LET SCIENTISTS TEST HIM IN ORDER TO DISCOVER HOW HE HAS SURVIVED HIS LIFESTYLE FOR SO LONG? OZZY OSBOURNE
07. IN WHICH YEAR WERE THE FOLLOWING SONGS UK HITS – “MY GENERATIONâ€Â￾ BY THE WHO, “SET ME FREEâ€Â￾ BY THE KINKS AND “WHAT’S NEW PUSSYCAT?â€Â￾ BY TOM JONES? 1965
08. HOW MANY PLAYERS ARE THERE IN AN OUTDOOR FIELD HOCKEY TEAM? 11
09. PICTURE 2 SHOWS AN AERIAL VIEW OF WHICH BRITISH CITY? LIVERPOOL
10. WHO WERE THE FIRST REAL-LIFE MARRIED COUPLE TO APPEAR IN AN EPISODE OF “THE SIMPSONSâ€Â￾? PAUL & LINDA McCARTNEY
11. WHAT WOULD YOU FIND IN A WHITE RUSSIAN THAT YOU WOULD NOT FIND IN A BLACK RUSSIAN? MILK or CREAM
12. NAME THE YEAR. IT WAS THE 250th ANNIVERSAY OF MOZART’S BIRTH, THE FIRST CASE OF AVIAN FLU WAS DISCOVERED IN BRITAIN AND THE QUEEN CELEBRATED HER 80th BIRTHDAY. 2006
13. FAMOUS IN THE WORLD OF MUSIC, BY WHAT NAME IS GEORGIOS KYRIACOS PANAYIOTOU BETTER KNOWN? GEORGE MICHAEL
14. IN WHICH SPORT OR PASTIME MIGHT YOU USE AN ORANGE STIMULATOR? FISHING - it's a fly
15. WHICH GREEK ISLAND, A POPULAR HOLIDAY DESTINATION, IS THE LARGEST OF THE DODECANESE AND WAS HOME TO ONE OF THE WONDERS OF THE ANCIENT WORLD? RHODES
16. NAME THE ACTRESS SHOWN IN PICTURE 3. KATE WINSLET
17. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING IS A PLAYER IN JAPAN’S 2010 WORLD CUP SQUAD, HONDA, KAWASAKI, SUZUKI OR YAMAHA? HONDA
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN IOWA IN 1907, MY LIFELONG NICKNAME CAME FROM MY CHILDHOOD PET. I TURNED TO ACTING AFTER INJURY ENDED MY COLLEGE FOOTBALL CAREER, MAKING MY FILM DEBUT IN 1929. MY BIG BREAK CAME IN A 1939 FILM. WINNING MY ONLY OSCAR IN 1969, I MADE MY LAST FILM IN 1976, DYING THREE YEARS LATER. JOHN WAYNE
19. POPE FORMOSUS WAS SO UNPOPULAR THAT, UPON HIS DEATH, THE CITIZENS OF ROME PUT HIS BODY ON DISPLAY AS THE CENTREPIECE OF A FEAST, LET THE PAPAL GUARD USE HIS BODY FOR ARCHERY PRACTICE OR PUT HIS BODY ON TRIAL? PUT ON TRIAL....and sentenced to death :shock:
20. WHEN LAUREN TAYLOR RECENTLY ATTENDED ROYAL ASCOT HER HAT WAS MADE OUT OF WHAT TOPICAL ITEM? VUVUZELAS
21. IN WHAT YEAR WAS A FOOTBALL MATCH FIRST BROADCAST LIVE ON THE RADIO IN BRITAIN? 1927

Only three entries this week :-( with the scores being...
JUS 10 (tie breaker 1929)
BUZZIE 11 (1930)
and the winner...
ROB_BOB 14 (1920)
Last edited by IAN B on Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

#107714 by IAN B
Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:29 am
01. WHAT SPORTING WORD HAS PROVIDED UK TOP TEN HITS FOR LIQUID GOLD, CLOUT AND THE WHO? SUBSTITUTE
02. WHICH ARE THE ONLY TWO COUNTRIES TO HAVE RETAINED FOOTBALL’S WORLD CUP? BRAZIL and ITALY
03. NAME THREE OF THE SEVEN SOUTH AMERICAN COUNTRIES THROUGH WHICH THE RIVER AMAZON FLOWS. BOLIVIA, BRAZIL, COLOMBIA, ECUADOR, GUYANA. PERU and VENEZUELA
04. IN THE TELEVISION SHOW “FATHER TEDâ€Â￾ WHAT WAS THE NAME OF FATHER TED’S HOUSEKEEPER? MRS DOYLE
05. DUFFLE COATS ARE MADE OUT OF A MATERIAL NAMED AFTER A TOWN IN WHICH EUROPEAN COUNTRY? BELGIUM
06. WHICH CELEBRITY HAS BEEN APPOINTED AS A CREATIVE DESIGNER FOR THE NEW RANGE ROVER? VICTORIA BECKHAM
07. IN WHICH YEAR WERE THE FOLLOWING SONGS UK HITS – “STOP THE CAVALRYâ€Â￾ BY JONA LEWIE, “THE TIDE IS HIGHâ€Â￾ BY BLONDIE AND “FASHIONâ€Â￾ BY DAVID BOWIE? 1980
08. PICTURE 1 SHOWS THE BADGE OF WHICH BRITISH FOOTBALL CLUB? BLACKPOOL FC
09. AN AREA OF THE USA, MEASURING 25 SQUARE FEET, STILL BELONGS TO GREAT BRITAIN, IN WHICH US STATE IS IT? HAWAII
10. WHAT EVENT WAS PORTRAYED IN THE FILM “THEY DIED WITH THEIR BOOTS ONâ€Â￾ – THE CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE, THE GUNFIGHT
AT THE OK CORRAL, CUSTER’S LAST STAND OR ENGLAND’S 2010 WORLD CUP CAMPAIGN? CUSTER'S LAST STAND
11. HOW MANY PEOPLE SERVE ON A SCOTTISH JURY – 11, 12 OR 15? 15
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE CEEFAX TELETEXT SERVICE BEGAN, MANCHESTER UNITED WERE LAST RELEGATED AND THE COMEDIAN MATT LUCAS WAS BORN. 1974
13. NAME THE BAND SHOWN IN CARTOON FORM IN PICTURE 2. U2
14. WHICH TEAM HAS BEEN RUGBY LEAGUE’S SUPER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS ON THE MOST OCCASIONS? ST HELENS (5)
15. PICTURE 3 SHOWS AN AERIAL VIEW OF WHICH BRITISH CITY? NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE
16. FOUR FILMS WITH A CREATURE IN THE TITLE HAVE WON THE OSCAR FOR BEST PICTURE, NAME ANY TWO OF THEM. "ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST", "THE DEERHUNTER", "DANCES WITH WOLVES" and "THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS"
17. ON 01st JUNE 1935 J.BEENE BECAME THE FIRST PERSON IN BRITAIN TO DO WHAT, SOMETHING THAT OVER 600000 PEOPLE DID LAST YEAR? PASS HIS DRIVING TEST
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN 1944 IN LONDON, I FORMED MY BAND IN THE LATE 50s, CREATING THEIR CURRENT NAME IN 1964. MAKING MY FILM DEBUT IN 1975, I’VE APPEARED IN OVER 30 FILMS AS WELL AS ACTING ON THE STAGE AND TV. I WAS AWARDED THE CBE IN 2004. ROGER DALTREY
19. A CLOTHING MANUFACTURER HAS DESIGNED NAPPIES MADE OUT OF WHAT TO CATER FOR FASHION CONSCIOUS TODDLERS? DENIM
20. ACCORDING TO A 2009 STUDY, 35% OF ITALIAN PROSTITUTES HAVE GOT WHAT? A UNIVERSITY DEGREE - Silvio Berlusconi's phone number is not correct as it is considerably higher than 35%
21. ACCORDING TO THE “GUINNESS BOOK OF RECORDSâ€Â￾ HOW LONG, IN FEET AND INCHES, ARE THE LONGEST SKIS EVER MADE?
1751 feet 11 inches

Five entries this week with the scores as follows.....
JUS 12 (tie breaker 1500'6" - closest, although it was originally her question)
LITTLE MO 16 (28'6")
WILDROVER 16 (500')
BUZZIE 17 (5000')
and the winner on the tie breaker.....
ROB_BOB 17 (100'7")