• Topic Title

• Topic description
Challenge fellow quizzers by posting your favourite questions and quizzes here.

Moderators: playgirl, JUS, rodbox

#77616 by wildrover
Fri May 09, 2008 5:56 pm
I probably enjoy doing other people's Connection rounds the most of any of the quizzes on the site and there was a certain sadistic pleasure in watching others inch their way to the solution of my last Connection round so in the hope of finding like minded individuals here are three more. Please PM me your answers. The first is very easy, the second and third are certainly more difficult......

Connections 4
1. Where does Tesco’s name come from?
2. Which play by Peter Shaffer, much loved by 1980s English Literature curriculum advisers, describes the destruction of the Inca empire by Pizarro and was a 1969 film with Robert Shaw and Christopher Plummer?
3. Who was American president for the duration of World War I?
4. Which football club was forced to use other clubs’ grounds for over 7 years from 1985 finally returning to their refurbished ground in December 1992?
5. Which actress had her big break opposite Heath Ledger in 10 things I Hate About You and has played Nicky Parsons in the Bourne trilogy?
6. The hip and shoulder are examples of what type of joint which can also be a joint used for connecting glass pipes in laboratory equipment?
7. By what name is the anonymous artist who won the award for Art’s Greatest Living Briton last year but failed to collect it, known? Probably his most famous work was painted on the Israeli-West Bank Barrier.
8. Which duo, winner of Opportunity Knocks, had a number 1 hit in 1973 with Welcome Home?
9. In computing what name is given to the well known “lawâ€Â￾ that the number of transistors that can be placed on an integrated circuit doubles every 2 years?
10. Anyone who gets half the answers and does not get the iconic connection should be taken outside and shot in my opinion so I’ll ask a different question – what’s the missing answer?

Connections 5
1. What is the name of the 1984 mockumentary about a fictional heavy metal band directed by Rob Reiner?
2. Which Premiership football team were known as Newton Heath until 1902?
3. Loved by dieticians everywhere what is the number obtained by dividing your mass in kilogrammes by the square of your height in metres commonly called?
4. What two word term derived from a Greek letter and describing their characteristic shape is given to the basic design class of planes like the Avro Vulcan bomber, Eurofighter and Concorde?
5. What name is shared by a famous painting of a stag by Edwin Landseer and a BBC1 series with Richard Briers and Susan Hampshire which ran from 2000 to 2005?
6. What sporting event was founded by Pierre de Coubertin?
7. What country was collectively known as the Trucial States until 1971?
8. Which Led Zeppelin song was used for the theme music for Top of the Pops from the early 70s until 2003?
9. What is the two word geological term given to the theory that the earth originally was one single land mass and split into several major land masses which moved relative to each other which was developed by Alfred Wegener in the early 20th century? (And for a bonus point guess who’s been doing his daughter’s GCSE Geography homework?)
10. What is the connection?

Connections 6
1. Which Eddy Grant hit takes its title from a street in Brixton?
2. What song was recorded by Smokey Robinson, The Isley Brothers and Gladys Knight and the Pips before becoming a number 1 for Marvin Gaye in 1967?
3. Which Lynyrd Skynyrd track charted in the UK as part of an EP in 1976, 1979 and 1982 and is in the top 10 of “most played tracks on radio worldwideâ€Â￾?
4. All Shook Up was Elvis Presley’s first UK number 1. Also the name of a film, what was his second which reached number 1 in January 1958?
5. Which number 1 hit of the 70s starts with the lines “If you change your mind, I’m the first in lineâ€Â￾?
6. Richard Harris is probably best known as Dumbledore in the Harry Potter films but with which song did he have a top 5 hit in 1968, a song with which Donna Summer also had a hit ten years later?
7. Which Top 20 hit for the Village People was a number 2 hit for the Pet Shop Boys in 1993?
8. What was the highest charting single of Lutricia McNeal’s 3 top 10 hits, reaching number 3 in June 1998?
9. Sadly, the highest UK charting version of this classic song from a classic 1939 film is by Matchbox but it was the first chart hit for Eva Cassidy after her death and the song that brought her to public attention?
10. Apart from the obvious fact that they are all famous songs, what else connects the answers?

#77658 by wildrover
Sat May 10, 2008 10:27 am
Blimey - Ian B and Canine Plums had all 3 connections done this morning before my hangover had subsided enough for me to get out of bed!

#78736 by wildrover
Sun May 25, 2008 10:24 am
Here are the answers to the "Three more connections" round from a couple of weeks ago. Question 3 of the first one threw everyone so my apologies to anyone who puzzled over the connection between "Body Mass Index" and airlines. I've only ever heard it referred to as BMI (which is also British Midland Airways) but I should have asked for the abbreviation.

Also the fact that I work in the electronics/computing industry misled me into believing Moore's Law was more famous than it apparently is.......

Many thanks to all who entered.

1. What is the name of the 1984 mockumentary about a fictional heavy metal band directed by Rob Reiner? This is Spinal TAP
2. Which Premiership football team were known as Newton Heath until 1902? Manchester UNITED
3. Loved by dieticians everywhere what is the number obtained by dividing your mass in kilogrammes by the square of your height in metres commonly called? BMI
4. What two word term derived from a Greek letter and describing their characteristic shape is given to the basic design class of planes like the Avro Vulcan bomber, Eurofighter and Concorde? DELTA Wing
5. What name is shared by a famous painting of a stag by Edwin Landseer and a BBC1 series with Richard Briers and Susan Hampshire which ran from 2000 to 2005? MONARCH of the Glen
6. What sporting event was founded by Pierre de Coubertin? OLYMPIC Games
7. What country was collectively known as the Trucial States until 1971? United Arab EMIRATES
8. Which Led Zeppelin song was used for the theme music for Top of the Pops from the early 70s until 2003? Whole LOTta Love
9. What is the two word geological term given to the theory that the earth originally was one single land mass and split into several major land masses which moved relative to each other which was developed by Alfred Wegener in the early 20th century? (And for a bonus point guess who’s been doing his daughter’s GCSE Geography homework?) CONTINENTAL Drift
10. What is the connection? AIRLINES

1. Where does Tesco’s name come from? Founder Jack COHEN and T. E. Stockwell supplier of the tea which was the first product they sold.
2. Which play by Peter Shaffer, much loved by 1980s English Literature curriculum advisers, describes the destruction of the Inca empire by Pizarro and was a 1969 film with Robert Shaw and Christopher Plummer? The Royal HUNT of the Sun
3. Who was American president for the duration of World War I? Woodrow WILSON
4. Which football club was forced to use other clubs’ grounds for over 7 years from 1985 finally returning to their refurbished ground in December 1992? CHARLTON Athletic
5. Which actress had her big break acting opposite Heath Ledger in 10 things I Hate About You and has played Nicky Parsons in the Bourne trilogy? Julia STILES
6. The hip and shoulder are examples of what type of joint which can also be a joint used for connecting glass pipes in laboratory equipment? BALL and Socket
7. By what name is the anonymous artist who won the award for Art’s Greatest Living Briton last year but failed to collect it, known? Probably his most famous work was painted on the Israeli-West Bank Barrier. BANKSy
8. Which duo, winner of Opportunity Knocks, had a number 1 hit in 1973 with Welcome Home? PETERS and Lee
9. In computing what name is given to the well known “lawâ€Â￾ that the number of transistors that can be placed on an integrated circuit doubles every 2 years? MOORE’s Law
10. Anyone who does not get this connection should be taken outside and shot so I’ll ask a different question – who is missing? England 1966 World Cup Final team - Geoff Hurst

Connections 6
1. Which Eddy Grant hit takes its title from a street in Brixton? ELECTRIC Avenue
2. What song was recorded by Smokey Robinson, The Isley Brothers and Gladys Knight and the Pips before becoming a number 1 for Marvin Gaye in 1967? I heard it Thru the GrapeVINE
3. Which Lynyrd Skynyrd track charted in the UK as part of an EP in 1976, 1979 and 1982 and is in the top 10 of “most played tracks on radio worldwideâ€Â￾? FREEbird
4. All Shook Up was Elvis Presley’s first UK number 1. Also the name of a film, what was his second which reached number 1 in January 1958? JAILhouse Rock
5. Which number 1 hit of the 70s starts with the lines “If you change your mind, I’m the first in lineâ€Â￾? Take a CHANCE on me
6. Richard Harris is probably best known as Dumbledore in the Harry Potter films but with which song did he have a top 5 hit in 1968, a song with which Donna Summer also had a hit ten years later? MacArthur PARK
7. Which Top 20 hit for the Village People was a number 2 hit for the Pet Shop Boys in 1993? GO West
8. What was the highest charting single of Lutricia McNeal’s 3 top 10 hits, reaching number 3 in June 1998? STRANDed
9. Sadly, the highest UK charting version of this classic song from a classic 1939 film is by Matchbox but it was the first chart hit for Eva Cassidy after her death and the song that brought her to public attention? Over the RainBOW
10. Apart from the obvious fact that they are all famous songs, what else connects the answers? Monopoly