• Topic Title

• Topic description
Challenge fellow quizzers by posting your favourite questions and quizzes here.

Moderators: playgirl, JUS, rodbox

#144565 by IAN B
Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:01 pm
This was run as a bingo quiz, with teams picking up prizes for four corners and lines of correct answers, as well as a top score of 16 - see how well you can do - PM your answers

01. WHAT SURNAME LINKS THREE MEMBERS OF THE BAND DURAN DURAN WITH ONE MEMBER OF QUEEN? TAYLOR
02. WHICH WAS THE FIRST COUNTRY TO WIN FOOTBALL'S WORLD CUP AWAY FROM HOME? ITALY
03. STANDING CLOSE TO THE NORTHERN END OF LONDON BRIDGE, THE MONUMENT COMMEMORATES WHICH HISTORIC EVENT? THE GREAT FIRE OF LONDON
04. THE TELEVISION GAME SHOW “BLANKETY BLANK"HAS HAD THREE HOSTS, NAME ANY TWO OF THEM. LES DAWSON, TERRY WOGAN and LILY SAVAGE
05. IN WHICH BRITISH NATIONAL DAILY PAPER DID THE COMIC STRIP “BEAU PEEP FIRST APPEAR? DAILY STAR
06. WHICH SINGER THIS WEEK RELEASED THE THEME SONG FROM THE NEW JAMES BOND FILM “SKYFALL"? ADELE
07. WHICH SINGER HOLDS THE RECORD FOR HAVING PERFORMED THE MOST CONCERTS AT WEMBLEY STADIUM? MICHAEL JACKSON
08. PICTURE 1 SHOWS AN AERIAL VIEW OF WHICH PREMIERSHIP FOOTBALL STADIUM? WHITE HART LANE
09. BY WHAT NAME ARE THE BOROUGHS OF DUDLEY, SANDWELL AND WALSALL PLUS THE SOUTHERN AREAS OF WOLVERHAMPTON COLLECTIVELY KNOWN? THE BLACK COUNTRY
10. QUESTION NOT AVAILABLE AS PHOTOBUCKET WOULDN'T ACCEPT THE PICTURE.
11. WHAT COLOUR BERETS AND HELMETS DO SOLDIERS OF THE UNITED NATIONS PEACEKEEPING FORCE WEAR? PALE BLUE
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE FIRST SECTION OF THE SHEFFIELD SUPERTRAM WENT INTO SERVICE, THE QUIZ SHOW “UNIVERSITY CHALLENGE" RETURNED TO TELEVISION AFTER A SEVEN YEAR ABSENCE AND THE “KOJAK" ACTOR
TELLY SAVALAS DIED. 1994
13. NAME THE MUSCIAL INSTRUMENT SHOWN IN THE FOREGROUND OF PICTURE 3. TUBA
14. TO WIN A GOLDEN SLAM A TENNIS PLAYER MUST WIN THE FOUR MAJORS AND WHAT ELSE? OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL
15. NAME THE COUNTRY HIGHLIGHTED IN PICTURE 4. SINGAPORE
16. IN THE 1961 FILM “PSYCHO" WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE MOTEL OWNER? NORMAN BATES
17. IN WHAT MONTH OF THE YEAR IS FATHER'S DAY CELEBRATED IN THE UK AND THE USA? JUNE
18. IN BRITISH BINGO NUMBER 90 IS “TOP OF THE SHOP", BUT WHAT IS THE HIGHEST NUMBER IN AN AMERICAN GAME OF BINGO? 75
19. ACCORDING TO ROMAN LEGEND UPON WHAT DID EMPEROR CALIGULA BESTOW THE TITLE OF SENATOR - HIS DEAD BROTHER, HIS HORSE OR A STATUE OF HIMSELF? HIS HORSE
20. WHAT MODERN DAY HAND GESTURE HAS BEEN INCORRECTLY ADOPTED FROM THE ANCIENT ROMANS? THUMBS UP
TIE BREAKER (nearest answer wins)
21. HOW MANY PASSENGERS IS A SHEFFIELD SUPERTRAM DESIGNED TO CARRY? 243

Image ? Image Image

The scores this week were....
JUS 10 (tiebreaker 250)
BUZZIE 13 (15000)
And the winner.....
ROB_BOB 16 (20000 per day)
Last edited by IAN B on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

#144801 by IAN B
Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:35 pm
I must be going soft, the winning score in The Railway was 18/20 :shock: - PM your answers.

01. NAME THE YEAR. DANA WON THE EUROVISION SONG CONTEST AND HAD A UK No1 WITH “ALL KINDS OF EVERYTHINGâ€Â￾, “SPIRIT IN THE SKYâ€Â￾ WAS FIRST A UK HIT SINGLE AND PAUL McCARTNEY RELEASED HIS FIRST SOLO ALBUM. 1970
02. SPORTS TEAMS FROM WHICH AMERICAN CITY HAVE WON THREE STANLEY CUPS, FIVE WORLD SERIES AND SIX SUPERBOWLS? PITTSBURGH
03. NAME THE THREE AMERICAN STATES WHOSE NAMES BEGIN WITH THE LETTER 'C'. CALIFORNIA, COLORADO and CONNECTICUT
04. NAME TWO OF THE THREE CELEBRITIES WHO HAVE TAKEN REVENGE ON THE OPERA SINGER IN THE “GO COMPAREâ€Â￾ TELEVISION ADVERTS. SUE BARKER, STUART PEARCE and RAY MEARS
05. PICTURE 1 SHOWS THE LOGO OF WHICH COMPANY. VODAPHONE
06. THE DUKE AND DUCHESS OF CAMBRIDGE THIS WEEK OPENED ENGLAND’S NEW ELITE FOOTBALL CENTRE IN BURTON, BUT WHAT IS IT CALLED? ST GEORGE'S CENTRE
07. “GANGNAM STYLEâ€Â￾ HAS BECOME A MUSIC AND INTERNET SENSATION, BUT IN WHICH SOUTH EAST ASIAN COUNTRY DID IT ORIGINATE? SOUTH KOREA - what can you expect from a country that eats dogs??
08. NAME ONE OF THE TWO EVENTS THAT WAS ADDED TO WOMEN’S ATHLETICS PENTATHLON TO TURN IT INTO THE HEPTATHLON. 200 METRES and JAVELIN
09. IN TERMS OF AREA WHICH IS THE LARGEST OF THE BALAERIC ISLANDS? MAJORCA
10. NAME THE TELEVISION PERSONALITY SHOWN IN PICTURE 2. BARBARA WINDSOR
11. IN THE BOARD GAME “MONOPOLYâ€Â￾ WHAT OTHER PROPERTY IS GROUPED WITH PICCADILLY AND LEICESTER SQUARE? COVENTRY STREET
12. NAME THE YEAR. PAUL McGANN MADE AN ONE-OFF APPEARANCE AS THE DOCTOR IN A DR WHO MOVIE, RUGBY LEAGUE’S SUPER LEAGUE INTRODUCED THE VIDEO REFEREE AND WORLD CHESS CHAMPION GARRY KASPAROV COMPETED IN A SERIES OF GAMES AGAINST THE DEEP BLUE COMPUTER. 1996
13. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING ACTS HAS REACHED THE HIGHEST POSITION IN THE UK SINGLES CHARTS – DOLLAR OR 50 CENT? 50 CENT
14. GERMAN DIETMAR HAMANN WILL BE REMEMBERED AS THE LAST FOOTBALLER TO DO WHAT? SCORE A GOAL AT THE OLD WEMBLEY STADIUM
15. IF SOMEBODY WAS DESCRIBED AS A WALLOON THEY WOULD BE A NATIVE OF WHICH EUROPEAN COUNTRY? BELGIUM
16. THE 1961 FILM “THE MISFITSâ€Â￾ SAW THE FINAL APPEARANCES OF TWO MOVIE LEGENDS, NAME EITHER OF THEM. CLARK GABLE and MARILYN MONROE
17. THE DINGBAT IN PICTURE 3 REPRESENTS WHAT TWO WORDS. Apologies photobucket seems to have swallowed a picture.....again!!
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN BRISTOL IN 1904, I WENT TO THE USA, AGED 20, AS A STILT WALKER AND STAYED TO BEGIN AN ACTING CAREER. AFTER A STINT IN THE THEATRE I MOVED TO HOLLYWOOD IN 1931, WHERE I CHANGED MY NAME. ALTHOUGH NEVER AN OSCAR WINNER, I WAS AWARDED AN HONORARY ACADEMY AWARD FOUR YEARS AFTER MY 1966 RETIREMENT. I DIED IN 1986. CARY GRANT
19. AFTER A RETIRED COUPLE BOUGHT IT AT A CAR BOOT SALE, POLICE IN BEDFORD WERE CALLED TO CONFISCATE WHAT? A CANNABIS PLANT
20. TWO 14 YEAR OLD GERMAN BOYS WERE CHARGED WITH THEFT AFTER THEY SOLD ITEMS OF THEIR MOTHER’S JEWELLRY TO VISIT WHERE? A BROTHEL
21. THE “TITANICâ€Â￾ WAS DESIGNED TO CARRY HOW MANY PEOPLE IN TOTAL? 3327 - but only lifeboat space for approx 1100??

Image Image

Just the one entry this week.....
BIGAL 19 (tiebreaker 2500)
Last edited by IAN B on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

#145055 by IAN B
Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:46 am
Off to Wembley for my annual NFL pilgimmage next weekend so I'll post a couple of quizzes - PM your answers

01. NAME THE YEAR. PULP WON THE MERCURY MUSIC AWARD, ALANIS MORRISETTE TOPPED THE UK ALBUM CHARTS WITH JAGGED LITTLE PILLâ€Â￾
AND DAVID BOWIE WAS INDUCTED INTO THE ROCK 'N' ROLL HALL OF FAME.1996
02. IF YOU WERE WATCHING THE SURREY HEAT PLAYING THE LONDON LIONS WHAT SPORT WOULD YOU BE WATCHING? BASKETBALL
03. THE PENNINES ARE REFERRED TO AS “THE BACKBONE OF ENGLANDâ€Â￾, BUT THE APENNINES ARE THE BACKBONE OF WHICH EUROPEAN COUNTRY? ITALY
04. IN THE 1961 FILM "PSYCHO" WHAT WAS THE FIRST NAME OF NORMAN BATES MOTHER? NORMA
05. DURING WORLD WAR II WHAT WAS THE FIRST COMMODITY TO BE RATIONED? PETROL
06. WHICH WORLD RECORD HOLDING ATHLETE HAS HAD THEIR FUNDING REMOVED BY THE SPORT'S GOVERNING BODY? PAULA RADCLIFFE
07. ADELE HAS REACHED No2 IN THE UK SINGLES CHARTS WITH THE JAMES BOND SONG, BUT WHO, IN 1985, PREVIOUSLY REACHED No2 WITH A BOND SONG? DURAN DURAN
08. PICTURE 1 SHOWS THE LOGO OF WHICH SPORTS BODY OR ORGANISATION? COMMONWEALTH GAMES FEDERATION
09. THE CENTRE OF WHICH BRITISH CITY LIES AT THE CONFLUENCE OF THE RIVERS IRWELL, IRK AND MEDLOCK? MANCHESTER
10. THE CHARACTERS MARTIN RIGGS AND ROGER MURTAGH WERE CENTRAL TO WHICH SERIES OF FILMS? "LETHAL WEAPON"
11. TRUE OR FALSE - A CROSS BETWEEN A FEMALE ALLIGATOR AND A MALE CROCODILE IS CALLED A CROCOGATOR? FALSE
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE EUROPEAN ECONOMIC COMMUNITY WAS FOUNDED, THE CND PEACE SYMBOL WAS UNVEILED AND THE COMEDIENNE AND ACTRESS JENNIFER SAUNDERS WAS BORN. 1959
13. NAME THE MYSTERY MAN IN PICTURE 2. PETE WATERMAN
14. WHAT PIECE OF SPORTING EQUIPMENT CAN BE NO LONGER THAN 42 INCHES, WEIGH NO MORE THAN 33 OUNCES AND BE MADE FROM ASH OR MAPLE? BASEBALL BAT
15. NAME THE IRISH PROVINCE COLOURED RED IN PICTURE 3. ULSTER
16. IN WHICH AMERICAN CITY WERE THE TELEVISION PROGRAMMES "GREY'S ANATOMY"Â￾, "THE KILLING" AND "FRASIER"Â￾ SET? SEATTLE
17. TRUE OR FALSE - PHOBOPHOBIA IS THE FEAR OF FEAR OR PHOBIAS? TRUE
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN NEW YORK IN 1952, I WAS A TALENTED AMATEUR BOXER WHO TURNED TO ACTING IN THE EARLY 70s, EARNING MY FIRST STARRING ROLE IN THE EARLY 90s. I TOOK UP PROFESSIONAL BOXING IN 1991, BUT, AFTER SEVERAL PROBLEMS, RETURNED TO ACTING TO EARN MY ONLY OSCAR NOMINATION IN 2008. MICKEY ROURKE
19. AN AUSTRALIAN HAS ADVERTISED A TRULY GREEN CAR FOR SALE. WHAT IS NOTABLE ABOUT IT? IT'S COVERED ON ASTROTURF
20. GREEK AMATEUR FOOTBALL TEAM VOUKEFALAS LARISSA HAVE HAD THEIR NEW KITS BANNED DUE TO SPONSORSHIP BY WHO? A BROTHEL
21. ACCORDING TO "GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS" DAVID MORGAN HOLDS THE RECORD FOR THE LARGEST COLLECTION OF TRAFFIC CONES, HOW MANY DOES HE HAVE? 137

Image Image Image

Just the two entries and I got them both struggling :-)
JUS 8 (tiebreaker 10000)
BUZZIE 11 (458)

01. NAME THE YEAR. RAPPER THE NOTORIOUS B.I.G WAS SHOT DEAD, JAMES BROWN AND DAVID BOWIE RECEIVED STARS ON THE HOLLYWOOD WALK OF FAME AND BLUR RELEASED THEIR SELF-TITLED ALBUM. 1997
02. IF YOU WERE WATCHING YOUNG BOYS PLAYING FOOTBALL WHERE WOULD YOU BE? SWITZERLAND
03. IN FRANCE IT'S LOCATED AT ST CYR, IN GERMANY DRESDEN AND IN THE USA AT WEST POINT, NEW YORK STATE, WHERE IS IT IN ENGLAND? SANDHURST
04. ËœA DENSER SET" IS AN ANAGRAM OF THE TITLE OF WHICH TELEVISION PROGRAMME? "EASTENDERS"
05. NAME THE CELEBRITY COUPLE IN PICTURE 1. BEN FODEN and UNA HEALEY
06. ACCORDING TO THE RECENTLY RELEASED "PRICE OF FOOTBALL"Â￾ REPORT WHICH ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CLUB HAS THE HIGHEST PRICED SEASON TICKET? ARSENAL
07. IN 1966 JOHN LENNON STATED "WE'RE MORE POPULAR THAN....." WHAT OR WHO? JESUS
08. IN GOLF IS A STIMPMETER USED TO MEASURE - THE DISTANCE TO THE FLAG, THE STRENGTH OF THE WIND OR THE SPEED OF THE PUTTING SURFACE? SPEED OF THE PUTTING SURFACE
09. NAME THE BRITISH CITY IN PICTURE 2. STIRLING
10. ON THE RADIO PROGRAMME "DESERT ISLAND DISCS" TWO LITERARY WORKS ARE ALREADY ON THE ISLAND, NAME EITHER OF THEM. THE BIBLE and THE COMPLETE WORKS OF SHAKESPEARE
11. WHERE WOULD YOU FIND OR WHO WOULD WEAR SILLITOE TARTAN? A POLICEMAN
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE DALAI LAMA FLED TIBET, BARBIE MADE HER FIRST APPEARANCE AND THE TV PRESENTER LORRAINE KELLY WAS BORN. 1959
13. WHAT WAS THE FIRST ANIMAL TO FEATURE IN THE TITLE OF A UK No1 SINGLE? DOG ("How much is that doggie in the window?")
14. PICTURE 3 SHOWS THE BADGES OF SPORTS TEAMS FROM WHICH CITY OF THE UNITED KINGDOM? BELFAST (Belfast Giants IHC, Glentoran FC and Ulster Rug by)
15. AFTER WHAT TYPE OF CREATURES ARE THE CANARY ISLANDS NAMED? DOGS
16. WHICH GERMAN CITY, LOCATED ON THE RIVER RHINE, WAS THE LOCATION FOR THE FIRST SERIES OF THE TV SHOW "AUF WIEDERSEHEN PET" AND IS ALSO ËœHOME" TO THE SHEFFIELD SUPERTRAM? DUSSELDORF
17. WHAT IS THE MOST COMMON BIRD IN THE WORLD? CHICKEN
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN CLYDEBANK IN 1949, I BEGAN MY WORKING LIFE AS A ROYAL NAVY STOKER BEFORE BUYING A FLEET OF ICE CREAM VANS. I LATER INVESTED IN A NURSING HOME, NURSERIES AND HEALTH CLUBS. I BECAME AN OBE IN 2004 AND A REGULAR ON A TELEVISION PROGRAMME IN 2005. DUNCAN BANNATYNE
19. THE TV SHOW "THIS MORNING" WAS RECENTLY THE VICTIM OF A HOAX ABOUT THE SALE OF CELEBRITY WHAT? SPERM
20. A MAN AND HIS SON ARE DRIVING TO A FOOTBALL MATCH WHEN THEY ARE INVOLVED IN A CAR CRASH. THE MAN DIES AND THE SON IS RUSHED TO HOSPITAL. WHEN HE ARRIVES IN THE OPERATING THEATRE THE DOCTOR STATES "I CAN'T OPERATE ON THIS BOY, HE'S MY SON". HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE? THE DOCTOR IS THE BOY'S MOTHER
21. IN TOTAL HOW MANY RUNS WERE SCORED IN THE 2012 FINALS OF CRICKET'S TWENTY20 WORLD CUP? (The whole finals tournament, not just the last game) 7452

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Same two entries, but revenge for Jus this time
BUZZIE 13 (tie breaker 8680)
JUS 14 (2500)
Last edited by IAN B on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#145663 by IAN B
Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:52 am
The latest offering from The Railway in Sheffield, apologies for the pictures, Photobucket seeks to have changed their formatting - PM your answers

01. NAME THE YEAR. ELTON JOHN WAS KNIGHTED, GERI HALLIWELL LEFT THE SPICE GIRLS AND MADONNA RELEASED HER SEVENTH ALBUM “RAY OF LIGHTâ€￾. 1998
02. THE SUMMER OLYMPIC GAMES HAVE BEEN HOSTED ON FIVE OCCASIONS BY A CITY WHOS’ NAME BEGINS WITH ‘A’, NAME ANY THREE OF THOSE HOSTS. AMSTERDAM, ANTWERP, ATHENS (twice) and ATLANTA
03. WHICH ENGLISH SEASIDE RESORT IS FAMOUS FOR BEING THE HOME TO THE WORLD’S LONGEST PLEASURE PIER? SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
04. WHAT IS THE HOME COUNTRY OF THE SASHA BARON COHEN CHARACTER BORAT? KAZAKHSTAN
05. PICTURE 1 GIVES TO A CRYPTIC CLUE TO THE IDENTITY OF WHICH FAMOUS PERSON? BILL CLINTON
06. IN THE KENT TOWN OF EDENBRIDGE DISGRACED CYCLIST LANCE ARMSTRONG WILL THIS YEAR FOLLOW WAYNE ROONEY, KATIE PRICE AND CHERIE BLAIR IN WHAT ROLE? GUY ON THE TOWN'S BONFIRE
07. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING SINGERS IS THE ODD ONE OUT – NENEH CHERRY, A’HA’S MORTEN HARKET, ABBA’S ANNI-FRID LYNGSTAD OR LENE MARLIN? NENEH CHERRYwas the only one born in Sweden
08. NAME THE SPORTS STAR SHOWN IN PICTURE 2. MO FARAH
09. THE CARIBBEAN ISLAND OF HISPANIOLA IS MADE UP OF WHICH TWO COUNTRIES? DOMINICAN REPUBLIC and HAITI
10. WHICH TELEVISION CHARACTER HAS SISTERS CALLED DAISY AND ROSE? HYACINTH BUCKET
11. WHICH FAMOUS DUO WERE AMONGST THE LAST PRISONERS EVER HELD IN THE TOWER OF LONDON? THE KRAY TWINS
12. NAME THE YEAR. JOHN LENNON STAGED HIS ‘BED-IN’ FOR PEACE, DISNEYLAND OPENED ITS’ HAUNTED MANSION AND MANCHESTER CITY WON THE FA CUP FOR THE FOURTH TIME. 1969
13. PICTURE 3 GIVES A CRYPTIC CLUE TO THE NAME OF WHICH MUSICAL GROUP? BOMBAY BICYCLE CLUB
14. ESTABLISHED IN 1887, NEWHAM AND ESSEX BEAGLES ARE A FAMOUS TEAM IN WHICH SPORT? ATHLETICS
15. IN WHICH COUNTY WOULD YOU FIND THE LONGEST BEACH IN ENGLAND? DORSET
16. IN WHICH CITY IS THE FILM “TRAINSPOTTINGâ€￾ SET? EDINBURGH
17. PICTURE 4 COULD NOT BE ADDED DUE TO PROBLEMS WITH FORMAT.
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN COLWYN BAY IN 1946, I WAS A RADA STUDENT WHO MADE MY THEATRE AND TV DEBUTS IN THE LATE 60s. MY FILM DEBUT CAME IN 1968 AND I WORKED MAINLY ON PERIOD DRAMAS. IN 1987 I BECAME THE FOURTH ACTOR TO PLAY A FAMOUS SCREEN CHARACTER, A ROLE I HELD UNTIL 1994. TIMOTHY DALTON
19. THE SINGER AND FORMER HOT GOSSIP DANCER SARAH BRIGHTMAN HAS ANNOUNCED THAT WILL SHORTLY BECOME – A MUSLIM, A SPACE TOURIST, A LIFE PEER OR A MAN? SPACE TOURIST
20. COSTING £9350, THE INTERNET MARKETING COMPANY MYSECRETLUXURY.COM HAVE BEGUN SELLING THE WORLD’S MOST EXPENSIVE WHAT? VIBRATOR
21. IN WHAT YEAR DID CONSTRUCTION OF THE YORSKHIRE LANDMARK CASTLE HOWARD BEGIN? 1699

ImageImageImageImage
Image Image

Two entries this week.....
ROB_BOB 15 (tiebreaker 1700)
And the winner with 19/19.....
BIGAL 19 (1705)
Last edited by IAN B on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

#145862 by IAN B
Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:02 am
Two offerings for you this week, the first in the 'Blockbusters' format, the second which, disappointingly, was with with 20/20 in The Railway - PM your answers

01. LA
SINGER WHOS’ FIRST ALBUM WAS “ALRIGHT STILLâ€￾.
LILY ALLEN
02. DDD
IN MORSE CODE IT REPRESENTS THE LETTER ‘D’.
DASH DOT DOT
03. TPOW
THE HOME OF BRITAIN’S PARLIAMENT.
THE PALACE OF WESTMINSTER
04. CT
FOOTBALL CLUB WHO PLAY THEIR HOME GAMES AT THE BROADFIELD STADIUM.
CRAWLEY TOWN
05. PEI
THE SMALLEST OF CANADA’S PROVINCES.
PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND
06. CJ
LONDON RAILWAY STATION THAT FEATURED IN A SQUEEZE SONG.
CLAPHAM JUNCTION
07. FHTE
FRANK SINATRA WON HIS ONLY OSCAR FOR APPEARING IN THIS FILM.
"FROM HERE TO ETERNITY"
08. NR
ITS’ SOURCE CAN BE FOUND IN LAKE ERIE.
NIAGARA RIVER
09. HOH
POP GROUP WHO HAD A “FANTASTIC DAYâ€￾ IN 1982.
HAIRCUT 100
10. TAOTA
IN THE NEW TESTEMENT IT FOLLOWS “THE GOSPEL ACCORIDNG TO ST JOHNâ€￾.
THE ACTS OF THE APOSTLES
11. EC
THE FIRST NON-BRITISH CAPTAIN TO LIFT THE FA CUP.
ERIC CANTONA
12. DDP
WHERE PADDINTON BEAR CAME FROM.
DEEPEST DARKEST PERU
13. SOTU
WAS GIRLS ALOUD’S FIRST No1 RECORDED IN THE TUBE?
"SOUND OF THE UNDERGROUND"
14. GF
SPORT IN WHICH THE SAM MAGUIRE CUP IS COMPETED FOR.
GAELIC FOOTBALL
15. UAU
A GARRYOWEN IN RUGBY LEAGUE.
UP AND UNDER
16. AOTC
THE SECOND EPISODE IN A POPULAR SERIES OF FILMS.
"ATTACK OF THE CLONES"
17. LR
NAVAL RANK BETWEEN ABLE SEAMEN AND PETTY OFFICER.
LEADING RATING
18. TCS
HILDA ODGEN’S FORMER ADDRESS.
13 CORONATION STREET
19. TT
IT WAS PILOTED BY ALAN TRACEY.
THUNDERBIRD THREE
20. TOATP
EDWARD LEAR’S MOST FAMOUS ANIMALS.
THE OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT
21. IN WHAT YEAR WAS MORSE CODE FIRST DEVELOPED? 1836

BUZZIE 14 (tiebreaker 1867)
JUS 15 (1825)
And the winner.....
BIGAL 17 (1840)

01. NAME THE YEAR. MCFLY BECAME THE YOUNGEST BAND TO DEBUT AT No1 IN THE UK ALBUMS CHART, BRIAN McFADDEN LEFT WESTLIFE AND THE SINGER RAY CHARLES DIED. 2004
02. STEVEN GERRARD RECENTLY BECAME THE SIXTH ENGLISH FOOTBALLER TO WIN 100 CAPS, NAME ANY FOUR OF THE OTHER FIVE. BILLY WRIGHT, BOBBY MOORE, BOBBY CHARLTON, PETER SHILTON and DAVID BECKHAM
03. AMSTERDAM IS THE CAPITAL CITY OF THE NETHERLANDS, BUT WHICH CITY IS THE SEAT OF ITS’ GOVERNMENT? DEN HAAG/THE HAGUE
04. IN THE TELEVISION CARTOON “WACKY RACESâ€￾ HOW MANY CARS COMPETED IN EACH RACE – 10, 11 OR 12? 11
05. THERE WERE THREE BRONTE SISTERS, LIST ANY TWO OF THEIR FIRST NAMES. ANNE, CHARLOTTE and EMILY
06. IN WILTSHIRE ANGUS McPHERSON RECENTLY BECAME THE COUNTRY’S FIRST WHAT? POLICE AND CRIME COMMISSIONER
07. PICTURE 1 GIVES A CRYPTIC CLUE TO THE NAME OF WHICH BAND AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS? JOHNNY & THE HURRICANES and "RED RIVER ROCK"
08. AMERICAN GEORGE HINCAPIE HOLDS THE RECORD OF 17 FOR THE MOST APPEARANCES IN WHICH FAMOUS SPORTING EVENT? THE TOUR DE FRANCE
09. NAME THE COUNTY HIGHLIGHTED IN PICTURE 2. LANCASHIRE
10. WHAT SLANG TERM FOR THE POLICE, OFTEN USED IN THE MANCHESTER AREA, IS DERIVED FROM A TELEVISION CARTOON? DIBBLE
11. IN 1926 WAS GERTRUDE EDERLE THE FIRST WOMAN – TO SWIM THE ENGLISH CHANNEL, TO BECOME A US SENATOR, TO RIDE IN A PROFESSIONAL HORSE RACE OR TO HAVE A SEX CHANGE? SWIM THE ENGLISH CHANNEL
12. NAME THE YEAR. BRITAIN AND IRELAND SIGNED THE “GOOD FRIDAY AGREEMENTâ€￾, BEAR GRYLLS BECAME THE YOUNGEST ENGLISHMAN TO CLIMB EVEREST AND “BLUE PETERâ€￾ PRESENTER RICHARD BACON HAD HIS CONTRACT TERMINATED FOR DRUG OFFENCES. 1998
13. CHINA, CRASH, HI-HAT AND RIDE ARE ALL TYPES OF WHICH MUSICAL INSTRUMENT? CYMBALS
14. IN WHICH COUNTRY IS THE SAUBER F1 TEAM BASED – AUSTRIA, GERMANY OR SWITZERLAND? SWITZERLAND
15. THE HOME OF THE WORLD BEACH SOCCER CHAMPIONSHIPS, IT SHARES ITS’ NAME WITH A 1947 GROUCHO MARX FILM AND A 1978 HIT SONG, WHERE IS IT? COPACABANA
16. NAME THE MISSING ACTOR IN PICTURE 3. HARRISON FORD, three ages of Indiana Jones
17. IN NOVEMBER 1963 JOHN CONNALLY FOUND HIMSELF IN WHICH UNFORTUNATE PLACE? THE CAR IN WHICH JFK WAS SHOT
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN SCUNTHORPE IN 1944, I BECAME A PROFESSIONAL GOLFER IN 1962, WINNING MY FIRST MAJOR TITLE SEVEN YEARS LATER. IN 1985 I BECAME THE FIRST GB & EUROPE CAPTAIN IN 28 YEARS TO WIN THE RYDER CUP. I RETIRED FROM GOLF IN 2004 TO BECOME A COURSE DESIGNER. TONY JACKLIN
19. WHAT NAME DID ONE OF US PRESIDENT THEODORE ROOSEVELT’S SONS HAVE – FOZZIE, KERMIT, SCOOTER OR WALDORF? KERMIT
20. TRUE OR FALSE – ALL WINDMILLS IN EUROPE TURN ANTI-CLOCKWISE? FALSE
21. DURING THE GREAT DEPRESSION HOW MANY PEOPLE SET OFF ON THE 1936 JARROW MARCH? 207

ImageImageImage REDImageImage
ImageImage?

JUS 9 (tiebreaker 2567)
BUZZIE 12 (200000)
And its' two out of two for.....
BIGAL 19 (200)

#146066 by IAN B
Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:15 pm
I must be losing my touch, another high winning score in The Railway - PM your answers

01. NAME THE YEAR. SUEDE RELEASED THEIR EPONYMOUS DEBUT ALBUM, SIMPLY RED WON THE BEST BRITISH BAND AWARD AT THE BRITS AND MEAT LOAF'S "BAT OUT OF HELL II" TOPPED THE UK ALBUM CHARTS FIVE TIMES. [1993
02. WHICH CITY'S AMERICAN FOOTBALL TEAM TAKES ITS' TEAM NAME FROM THE CITY'S LINKS WITH THE AUTHOR EDGAR ALLEN POE? BALTIMORE (RAVENS)
03. TO BE FOUND IN THE BRITISH COUNTRYSIDE DEVIL'S APPENDIX, GREY MARE'S TAIL AND HIGH FORCE ARE ALL WHAT? WATERFALLS
04. WHICH TELEVISION ACTOR HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM AN ADVERTISING CAMPAIGN AFTER BEING BANNED FROM DRIVING? MARTIN CLUNES
05. PICTURE 1 GIVES A CRYPTIC CLUE TO THE IDENTITY OF WHO? GAVIN HENSON
06. IN THE WORLD OF ENTERTAINMENT TONY HALL HAS JUST BEEN APPOINTED TO WHICH POST? DIRECTOR GENERAL OF THEBBC
07. 07. TAKE THAT HAVE HAD FOUR UK TOP TEN HITS WITH COVERS OF SONG BY OTHER ARTISTS, NAME ONE OF THE SONGS. "COULD IT BE MAGIC", "HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE?", "IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE" and "RE-LIGHT MY FIRE"
08. WHO ARE THE CURRENT HOLDERS OF THE SPORTING TROPHY IN PICTURE 2? CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY
09. THERE ARE FIVE EUROPEAN COUNTRIES OR PRINCIPALITIES WHOS' CAPITAL CITIES HAVE THE SAME NAME, NAME ANY THREE OF THEM. ANDORRA, LUXEMBOURG, MONACO, SAN MARINO and THE VATICAN CITY
10. ON TELEVISION BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH IN THE UK AND JONNY LEE MILLER IN THE USA HAVE BEEN THE LATEST ACTORS TO PLAY WHICH CHARACTER? SHERLOCK HOLMES
11. WHICH VEGETABLE CAN BE PREPARED IN STYLES CALLED DAUPHINE, DUCHESSE AND MARQUISE? POTATO
12. NAME THE YEAR. JOHNNY HAYNES BECAME THE FIRST ENGLISH FOOTBALLER TO BE PAID £100 PER WEEK, "WEST SIDE STORY" WON THE OSCAR FOR BEST PICTURE AND U2'S LARRY MULLEN Jr AND THE EDGE WERE BOTH BORN. 1961
13. PICTURE 3 GIVES A CRYPTIC CLUE TO THE NAME OF WHICH BAND? MIDNIGHT OIL
14. CYCLIST MARK CAVENDISH IS THE CURRENT BBC SPORTS PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR, BUT WHO WAS THE LAST CYCLIST BEFORE HIM TO WIN THE AWARD? SIR CHRIS HOY
15. WHICH GERMAN CITY HOSTS THE ANNUAL 'OKTOBERFEST'? MUNICH
16. NAME THE FILM SHOWN IN PICTURE 4. "TRADING PLACES"
17. WHAT NAME LINKS THE YOUNGEST VON TRAPP CHILD IN "THE SOUND OF MUSIC" TO A CHARACTER IN A BROTHERS GRIMM FAIRY TALE? GRETEL
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN SAN FRANCISCO IN 1947, I ATTENDED UNIVERSITY ON AN ATHLETIC SCHOLASHIP BEFORE BECOMING A PROFESSIONAL SPORTSMAN IN 1969. WHILST STILL A SPORTSMAN I MADE MY FILM DEBUT IN 1974 AND MY TV ACTING DEBUT THREE YEARS LATER. I WAS INVOLVED IN ONE OF 1994'S BIGGEST NEWS STORIES. OJ SIMPSON
19. IN WREXHAM EDWARD BRYAN HAS JUST PRODUCED THE LAST WHAT TO BE MADE IN BRITAIN - BATTERY OPERATED CALCULATOR, CINE CAMERA OR TYPEWRITER? TYPEWRITER
20. CORNSIH FISHERMEN HAVE IMPROVISED BY USING SUPERMARKET TROLLIES AS - DRAGNETS, LOBSTER POTS OR SHARK CAGES? SHARK CAGES - they must work, I've never been attacked by a shark in the supermarket!
21. HOW HIGH, IN FEET, IS CROSS FELL, THE HIGHEST POINT OF THE PENNINES? 2930

ImageImageImageImage

Just the one entry this week, so in first and last place.....
BIGAL 20 (tiebreaker 2500)

#146171 by IAN B
Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:19 pm
This week's quiz takes the form of a Trivia Trail, where the answer to Q2 begins with the last letter of the answer to Q1 and so on and so on - PM your answers

01. WHAT MAKE OF CAR DID DR EMMETT BROWN TAKE BACK TO THE FUTURE IN THE FILM OF THE SAME NAME? DELOREAN
02. 78% OF THE EARTH'S ATMOSPHERE IS MADE UP OF WHICH ODOURLESS, COLOURLESS GAS? NITROGEN
03. IN THE BIBLE HAM, SHEM AND JAPETH WERE THE SON'S OF WHICH CHARACTER? NOAH
04. WHAT NAME LINKS THE HOGWARTS' TEACHER MR SLUGHORN, ONE OF THE DODGE BROTHERS, FOUNDERS OF THE MOTOR COMPANY AND THE TELEVISION CHARACTER RUMPOLE OF THE BAILEY? HORACE
05. WHICH FAMOUS REFERENCE BOOK WAS FIRST PUBLISHED IN THREE VOLUMES BY WILLIAM SMELLIE? ENCYCLOPAEDIA BRITANNICA
06. WHICH CANADIAN PROVINCE, WHOS' CAPITAL IS EDMONTON, WAS NAMED AFTER QUEEN VICTORIA'S DAUGHTER? ALBERTA
07. WHICH BRITISH FOOTBALL CLUB ARE NICKNAMED 'THE HONEST MEN'? AYR UNITED
08. WHICH BRITISH BAND HAS HAD "EUPHORIA", "HYSTERIA" AND "PYROMANIA"? DEF LEPPARD
09. WHAT WAS THE NAME OF SIMON LE BON'S YATCH WHICH SANK DURING THE 1985 FASTNET RACE? DRUM
10. WHICH 1956 BROADWAY MUSICAL AND 1964 FILM WERE BASED ON THE GEORGE BERNARD SHAW PLAY "PYGMALION"? "MY FAIR LADY"
11. WHAT IS AN ALTERNATIVE NAME FOR CHINA'S HUANG HE RIVER? YELLOW
12. HOW IS THE MEAT IN A STEAK TARTARE SERVED? RAW
13. WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE FICTIONAL TOWN IN WHICH THE TV SHOW "DAD'S ARMY" WAS SET? WALMINGTON-ON-SEA
14. WHICH 1990 QUEEN HIT WAS RE-RELEASED IN 1998 FEATURING THE FUGEES' WYCLEF JEAN? "ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST"
15. WHICH BRITISH CITY IS SERVED BY THE CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY? TRURO
16. WHICH DISNEY FILM IS BASED ON A BOOK BY THE AUTHOR DODIE SMITH? "ONE HUNDRED AND ONE DALMATIANS"
17. WHAT ARE THE FIRST NAMES OF THE COMEDIANS LITTLE AND LARGE? SYD and EDDIE
18. WHAT NAME LINKS THE FIRST SPACE SHUTTLE WITH ANOTHER SPACESHIP THAT MADE ITS' MAIDEN VOYAGE IN 2260? ENTERPRISE
19. WHICH BRITISH FOOTBALL CLUB WAS FOUNDED IN 1878 AS ST DOMINGO'S FC? EVERTON
20. WHICH AFRICAN COUNTRY HAS NIAMEY AS ITS' CAPITAL CITY? NIGER
TIEBREAKER (nearest answer wins)
21. IN WHAT YEAR WAS THE BOOK IN Q5 FIRST PUBLISHED? 1768

Three entries this week and the scores were.....
QUIZMASTER 12 (tiebreaker - )
JUS 16 (1857)
And the winner.....
BIGAL 19 (1760)

#146368 by IAN B
Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:47 am
Back to my basic GK-style quiz this week, on which, in The Railway, two teams managed 17/20 - PM your answers

01. NAME THE YEAR. ELVIS COSTELLO AHD HIS BIGGEST UK CHART SUCCESS WITH “OLIVER’S ARMY”, BLONDIE HAD THEIR
FIRST UK No1 ALBUM AND BILL HALEY MADE HIS FINAL STUDIO RECORDINGS. 1979
02. WHICH COUNTRY HAS WON THE MOST MEDALS IN TOTAL AT THE WINTER OLYMPIC GAMES? NORWAY
03. OUTSIDE OF LONDON WHICH TOWN OR CITY IS HOME TO THE TALLEST BUILDING IN BRITAIN? MANCHESTER
04. WHICH TV SHOW HAS BEEN WON ON THE MOST OCCASIONS BY A SPORTS PERSON – “CELEBRITY BIG BROTHER”, “I’M A CELEBRITY.....GET ME OUT OF HERE” OR “STRICTLY COME DANCING”? "STRICTLY COME DANCING"
05. THE AMERICANS CALL IT ZUCCHINI, WHAT IS IT CALLED IN BRITAIN? COURGETTE
06. WHICH COUNTRY HAS JUST BECOME THE FIRST IN THE WORLD TO ENSURE THAT ALL CIGARETTES ARE SOLD IN PLAIN PACKAGING? AUSTRALIA
07. PICTURE 1 GIVES A CRYPTIC CLUE TO WHICH MUSICAL ACT AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS? (The globe should have an arrow pointing to its' most northerly point - photobucket pinched it!!) THE CARPENTERS and "TOP OF THE WORLD"
08. WHICH FRENCH CULINARY FAVOURITE WAS SUCCESSFUL IN THE GRAND NATIONAL? SNAIL/L'ESCARGOT
09. NAME THE COUNTY HIGHLIGHTED IN PICTURE 2. NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
10. IN ENTERTAINMENT “NEVER TICKLE A SLEEPING DRAGON” IS THE MOTTO OF WHICH ESTABLISHMENT? HOGWART'S SCHOOL
11. THERE ARE FOUR TYPES OF PEDESTRIAN CROSSINGS ON BRITAIN’S ROADS, NAME ANY THREE OF THEM. PELICAN, PUFFIN , TOUCAN and ZEBRA
12. NAME THE YEAR. TONY BLAIR GRADUATED FROM OXFORD UNIVERSITY, “THE ROCKY HORROR SHOW” MADE ITS’ BROADWAY DEBUT AND “FAWLTY TOWERS” MADE ITS’ TELEVISION DEBUT. 1975
13. NAME THREE OF THE FOUR SECTIONS THAT MAKE UP A TRADITIONAL ORCHESTRA. BRASS, PERCUSSION, STRINGS and WOODWIND
14. WHICH SPORTING LEGEND WAS BORN IN KILKENNY IN 1965, DIED IN 1995 AND IS BURIED AT THE SITE OF THEIR GREATEST TRIUMPHS? RED RUM
15. LOCATED IN CORNWALL, WHAT IS THE MOST SOUTHERLY POINT OF MAINLAND BRITAIN? THE LIZARD POINT
16. NAME THE FILM IN PICTURE 3. "MAD MAX 2"
17. THE DINGBAT IN PICTURE 4 REPRESENTS WHAT FOUR WORD PHRASE? HUNG, DRAWN AND QUARTERED
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN MEXBOROUGH IN 1936, AFTER NATIONAL SERVICE IN THE RAF, I MADE MY TV DEBUT IN 1962 IN THE POLICE SERIES “Z CARS”. MY FILM DEBUT FOLLOWED FIVE YEARS LATER. A KEEN MOUNTAINEER, I HAVE SCALED EVEREST AND MY DISTINCTIVE VOICE HAS LED TO VOICE OVER, VIDEO AND SAT-NAV WORK. BRIAN BLESSED
19. THE SALES OF GARLIC IN SERBIA HAVE ROCKETED AFTER A TOWN COUNCIL ANNOUNCED WHAT? A VAMPIRE WAS LIVING IN THE AREA
20. GERMAN BERNHARD BECKER WAS ARRESTED FOR DRINK DRIVING AFTER HE ATTEMPTED TO DO WHAT WITH THE BREATHALYSER? PHONE HIS LAWYER
21. IN WHAT YEAR WAS THE OLDEST INDIAN RESTAURANT IN SHEFFIELD OPENED? 1967

ImageImageImage Image
HUN GDR
AWN AND

Three entries and a clear winner.....
BUZZIE 14 (tiebreaker 1955)
JUS 14 (1969)
BIGAL 19 (1928)

#146707 by IAN B
Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:21 pm
Two offerings for you this week, one a GK quiz, the second based on all things festive - PM your answers

01. NAME THE YEAR. LULU FEATURED ON THE TAKE THAT HIT “RELIGHT MY FIRE” THE SOUNDTRACK TO “THE BODYGUARD” WAS THE YEAR’S BIGGEST SELLING ALBUM AND RICK ASTLEY RETIRED FROM MUSIC. 1993
02. WHO IS THE ONLY RUGBY UNION PLAYER TO HAVE BEEN VOTED “BBC SPORTS PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR”? JONNY WILKINSON in 2003
03. WHICH IS THE ONLY AMERICAN STATE WHOSE NAME BEGINS WITH THE LETTER ‘P’? PENNSYLVANIA
04. WHO DID SUE BARKER REPLACE AS THE HOST OF THE TELEVISION QUIZ SHOW “A QUESTION OF SPORT”? DAVID COLEMAN
05. ITS’ NAME IS DERIVED FROM AN ITALIAN CANDY AND IT IS OFTEN SEEN AT WEDDINGS, WHAT IS IT? CONFETTI
06. WHAT HAPPENED DURING DECEMBER THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN AGAIN FOR ANOTHER 89 YEARS? THE DAY, MONTH AND YEAR WERE THE SAME NUMBER ie 12:12:12
07. PICTURE 1 GIVES A CLUE TO THE NAME OF WHICH BAND AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS? THE EAGLE and "HOTEL CALIFORNIA"
08. BEFORE SIGNING FOR LIVERPOOL FERNANDO TORRES HAVE SPENT HIS ENTIRE CAREER WITH WHICH SPANISH FOOTBALL CLUB? ATHLETICO MADRID
09. MEXICO SHARES A LAND BORDER WITH THREE OTHER COUNTRIES, NAME ANY TWO OF THEM. BELIZE, GUATEMALA and THE USA
10. PICTURE 2 SHOWS PART OF A POSTER FOR WHICH MOVIE? "DIRTY HARRY"
11. WHAT IS THE MAIN SPIRIT USED IN MAKING THE COCKTAIL MARGARITA? TEQUILA
12. NAME THE YEAR. FIDEL CASTRO ANNOUNCED HIS RESIGNATION AS PRESIDENT OF CUBA, “NEIGHBOURS” WAS LAST SHOWN BY THE BBC AND SHEFFIELD'S TINSLEY COOLING TOWERS WERE DEMOLISHED. 2008
13. WHAT MUSICAL TERM MEANS “GRADUALLY BECOMING LOUDER”? CRESCENDO
14. PICTURE 3 SHOWS THE BADGE OF WHICH ENGLISH FOOTBALL CLUB? SWINDON TOWN
15. IN TERMS OF NUMBER OF PASSENGERS, AFTER HEATHROW, WHICH IS BRITAIN’S SECOND BUSIEST AIRPORT? GATWICK
16. IN 1998 WHICH FILM CHARACTER HAD A BRIDE CALLED TIFFANY? CHUCKY
17. THE REVERSE OF A NOBEL PRIZE SHOWS THREE NAKED MEN WITH THEIR HANDS ON EACH OTHERS WHAT? SHOULDERS
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN MICHIGAN IN 1952, I MOVED TO JAPAN AS A TEENAGER, WHERE I LATER BECAME THE FIRST FOREIGN OWNER OF AN AIKIDO SCHOOL. ON RETURNING TO THE USA I BECAME A MARTIAL ARTS CO-ORDINATOR BEFORE MAKING MY ACTING DEBUT IN 1987 AND MY DIRECTORIAL DEBUT SEVEN YEARS LATER. A KEEN MUSICIAN, I RELEASED MY FIRST ALBUM IN 2005. STEVEN SEAGAL
19. TRUE OR FALSE – THE SUGGESTED TITLE OF THE BOOK “JAWS” WAS “WHAT’S THAT NOSHING ON MY LEG”? TRUE, it was suggested by the author's father
20. A WHEELCHAIR BASKETBALL GAME IN TURKEY HAD TO BE ABADONED AFTER - THE HOME TEAM FORGOT TO PROVIDE A BALL, THE COURT SURFACE CAUSED MULTIPLE PUNCTURES OR THE FANS RIOTED? THE FANS RIOTED
21. IN KILOMETRES HOW LONG IS THE PENNINE WAY? 268kms

Image ImageImage

Just the two entries with scores of.....
BUZZIE 7 (tiebreaker 120kms)
JUS 10 (250kms)

01. “THE X FACTOR” HAS CREATED FIVE ARTISTS WHO HAVE HAD THE UK CHRISTMAS No 1 SINGLE, NAME THREE OF THEM. SHAYNE WARD, LEONA LEWIS, LEON JACKSON, ALEXANDRA BURKE and MATT CARDLE
02. AS TURKEYS ARE VIRTUALLY UNKNOWN IN JAPAN WHAT HAS BECOME A CHRISTMAS DINNER PHENOMENON IN THE COUNTRY? KFC :shock:
03. IN THE FILM “HOME ALONE” THE McALLISTER FAMILY WERE PLANNING TO SPEND CHRISTMAS IN WHICH CITY? PARIS
04. REPUTEDLY THE BIRTHPLACE OF JESUS, IN WHICH COUNTRY WOULD YOU NOW FIND BETHLEHEM? PALESTINE
05. THE GROUP IN PICTURE 1 HAD THE UK CHRISTMAS No1 IN 1994, WHO ARE THEY? EAST 17
06. IN THE DICKENS STORY “A CHRISTMAS CAROL” HOW MANY GHOSTS VISITED EBENEZER SCROOGE? 4
07. WHICH FAMOUS HORROR ACTOR PROVIDED THE VOICE OF THE GRINCH IN A 1966 ANIMATION OF THE STORY? BORIS KARLOFF
08. IN THE TRADITIONAL CHRISTMAS STORY “A CHRISTMAS CAROL” WHAT IS TINY TIM’S SURNAME? CRATCHITT
09. IN THE TRADITIONAL SONG “THE TWELVE DAYS OF CHRISTMAS” HOW MANY DIFFERENT TYPES OF BIRDS WERE GIVEN AS GIFTS? 6
10. ALTHOUGH ORIGINALLY FROM MEXICO, THE PLANT IS PICTURE 2 IS NOW ASSOCIATED WITH CHRISTMAS, WHAT IS IT? POINSETTIA
11. IN WHICH FESTIVE FILM WAS TURBO MAN THE ‘MUST-HAVE’ CHRISTMAS TOY? "JINGLE ALL THE WAY"
12. PICTURE 3 SHOWS A POSTER FOR WHICH CHRISTMAS FILM? "NATIONAL LAMPOON'S CHRISTMAS VACATION"
13. ALONG WITH BOB GELDOF WHO CO-WROTE THE CHRISTMAS HIT SINGLE “DO THEY KNOW IT’S CHRISTMAS?”? MIDGE URE
14. WHAT WAS THE FROSTY THE SNOWMAN’S NOSE MADE OUT OF? A BUTTON
15. IN UKRAINE HOW MANY COURSES ARE SERVED AT A TRADITIONAL CHRISTMAS EVE DINNER? 12
16. WHICH IS THE ONLY SONG TO HAVE BEEN THE UK’S CHRISTMAS No1 TWICE, IN 1957 AND 1978, THAT WAS SUNG BY DIFFERENT ARTISTS? "MARY'S BOY CHILD" by Harry Belafonte and Boney M
17. THE DINGBAT IN PICTURE 4 REPRESENTS WHAT FESTIVE WORD? NOEL
18. WHAT CHRISTMAS ROLE WAS PLAYED BY SID JAMES IN 1969, ALBERT FINNEY IN 1970 AND JIM CARREY IN 2009? EBENEZER SCROOGE
19. WHAT TWO TRADITIONAL CHRISTMAS ITEMS ARE COCKNEY RHYMING SLANG FOR PARTS OF THE HUMAN BODY? CHRISTMAS CRACKERS and MINCE PIES
20. WHICH TELEVISION CHARACTER WAS BANNED FROM TURNING ON THE XMAS LIGHTS IN WOLVERHAMPTON BECAUSE HE WAS A HEALTH AND SAFETY RISK? SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS was too wide to walk up the steps to the stage
21. IN WHAT YEAR WAS THE FIRST RECORDED PANTOMIME PERFORMED IN BRITAIN? 1714

Image Image Image
ABCDE
FGHIJ
KMNOP
QRSTU
VWXYZ

Same two entrants.....
BUZZIE 12 (tiebreaker 1905)
And the same winner.....
JUS 12 (1824)

I'd like to take this opportunity to wish all those who read my quizzes A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS

#147044 by IAN B
Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:11 pm
Happy New Year Quiz-Zoners, my final offering of 2012 was a "That was the year that was" quiz, let's see how much you can remember about the past twelve months - PM your answers

01. WHICH SINGER WAS THE OPENING ACT OF THE QUEEN’S DIAMOND JUBILEE CONCERT? ROBBIE WILLIAM
02. IN WHICH SPORT DID TEAM GB WIN ITS’ FIRST GOLD MEDAL OF THE LONDON 2012 OLYMPIC GAMES? ROWING
03. PICTURE 1 SHOWS THE TALLEST BUILDING IN BRITAIN, WHICH OPENED IN 2012. WHAT IS IT CALLED? THE SHARD
04. IN OCTOBER THE LAST ANALOGUE TELEVISION SIGNAL IN THE UNITED KINGDOM WAS SWITCHED OFF, BUT WHAT AREA WAS IT SERVING? NORTHERN IRELAND
05. WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE UNSUCCESSFUL REPUBLICAN CANDIDATE IN THE US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION? MITT ROMNEY
06. THE SINGER IN PICTURE 2 DIED DURING 2012, WHO IS HE? ANDY WILLIAMS
07. NAME ONE OF THE TWO TEAMS WHO WERE PROMOTED FROM FOOTBALL’S NATIONAL CONFERENCE, REPLACING LINCOLN CITY AND STOCKPORT COUNTY IN FOOTBALL LEAGUE DIVISION 2. FLEETWOOD TOWN and YORK CITY
08. NAME ONE OF THE THREE PLACES THAT ACHIEVED CITY STATUS IN 2012 AS PART OF THE QUEEN’S JUBILEE CELEBRATIONS? ST ASAPH, CHELMSFORD and PERTH
09. THE PERSON IN PICTURE 3 BECAME THE NEW PRESENTER OF WHICH TELEVISION SHOW? "COUNTDOWN"
10. WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE CRUISE LINER THAT RAN AGROUND AFTER BEING STEERED TOO CLOSE TO THE COAST OF ITALY? COSTA CONCORDIA
11. DURING THE QUEEN’S JUBILEE CONCERT WHICH BAND PERFORMED ON THE ROOF OF BUCKINGHAM PALACE? MADNESS
12. NAME THE PERSON IN PICTURE 4. DAVID WEIR
13. THE SKYTREE, THE WORLD’S TALLEST SELF-SUPPORTING TOWER, WAS OPENED THIS YEAR, BUT IN WHICH CAPITAL CITY IS IT? TOKYO
14. AFTER 1693 EPISODES WHICH TELEVISION QUIZ SHOW WAS BROADCAST FOR THE FINAL TIME IN MARCH 2012? "THE WEAKEST LINK"
15. NAME THE PERSON SHOWN IN PICTURE 5. FELIX BAUMGARTNER
16. WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE SONG COMPOSED BY ANDREW LLOYD WEBBER AND GARY BARLOW ESPECIALLY FOR THE DIAMOND JUBILEE CONCERT? "SING"
17. WHICH COUNTY WON CRICKET’S COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE 2004? WARWICKSHIRE
18. WHICH PART OF THE UNITED KINGDOM THIS YEAR LOST ITS’ HELICOPTER SERVICE TO THE MAINLAND? THE SCILLY ISLES
19. WHICH FILM BECAME THE FIRST EVER FRENCH MOVIE TO WIN THE OSCAR FOR BEST PICTURE? "THE ARTIST"
20. THE PERSON IN PICTURE 6 CAME FROM OBSCURITY TO RECORD BREAKING PROMINENCE IN 2012, WHO IS SHE? EL JAMES
21. HOW TALL, IN FEET, IS THE BUILDING IN PICTURE 1? 1016 FEET

Image Image Image
Image Image Image

The scores on the doors were.....
JUS 7 (tiebreaker 1350' - 2012 seems to have bypassed Lancashire) ;-)
BIGAL 20 (1100')
And the winner on the tiebreaker.....
BUZZIE 20 (1008'6")

#147159 by IAN B
Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:48 pm
A bit late posting this week so I'll give you until Monday 21 Jan to answer, but I will also post another new quiz on Monday 14 - PM your answers

01. NAME THE YEAR. RIGHT SAID FRED HAD THEIR FIRST UK No1 SINGLE, KYLIE MINOGUE RELEASED HER “GREATEST HITS”
ALBUM AND LISA STANSFIELD WAS VOTED BEST BRITISH FEMALE SOLO ARTIST AT THE BRITS. 1992
02. IF YOU WERE WATCHING THE RICHMOND TIGERS PLAYING THE WEST COAST EAGLES WHAT SPORT WOULD YOU BE WATCHING? AUSTRALIAN RULES FOOTBALL
03. PRIOR TO 1976 HO CHI MINH CITY WAS KNOWN BY WHAT NAME? SAIGON
04. HIGHCLERE CASTLE IN HAMPSHIRE IS THE MAIN LOCATION FOR WHICH TELEVISION PROGRAMME? "DOWNTON ABBEY"
05. WHAT NAME IS SHARED BY DAVID CAMERON’S DAUGHTER, A CHART-TOPPING SINGER AND A CHILDREN’S TELEVISION CHARACTER? FLORENCE
06. MARK CAHILL THIS WEEK BECAME THE FIRST PERSON TO HAVE A HAND TRANSPLANT IN BRITAIN, BUT IN WHICH COUNTRY WAS THE OPERATION PIONEERED IN 1998? FRANCE
07. WHAT SONG TITLE HAS PROVIDED UK TOP TEN HITS FOR FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD, JENNIFER RUSH, HUEY LEWIS &
THE NEWS AND CELINE DION? "THE POWER OF LOVE"
08. NAME THE SPORT IN PICTURE 1. POLO
09. IN TERMS OF LENGTH WHAT IS THE LONGEST NUMBERED ROAD IN THE UNITED KINGDOM? A1
10. IN THE TELEVISION SHOW “DALLAS” WHAT DID JR EWING’S INITIALS STAND FOR? JOHN ROSS
11. Fe IS THE CHEMICAL SYMBOL FOR WHICH ELEMENT? IRON
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE MONA LISA WAS EXHIBITED IN THE USA FOR THE FIRST TIME, MANCHESTER UNITED WON THE FA CUP FOR THE THIRD TIME AND THE TV PERSONALITY GRAHAM NORTON WAS BORN. 1963
13. PICTURE 2 SHOWS THE LOGO OF WHICH BAND? THE WHO
14. WHAT TEAM NAME LINKS SPORTS TEAMS FROM SAN FRANCISCO, BELFAST AND HUDDERSFIELD? GIANTS
15. WHICH MAJOR CITY STANDS AT THE CONFLUENCE OF THE EAST RIVER AND THE HUDSON RIVER? NEW YORK CITY
16. PICTURE 3 SHOWS PART OF A POSTER FOR WHICH FILM? "RESERVOIR DOGS"
17. WHAT TYPE OF FISH IS USED IN THE MAKING OF WORCESTER SAUCE? ANCHOVY
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN VAL DE MARNE IN 1952, DESPITE NO FORMAL TRAINING I JOINED PIERRE CARDIN IN 1970 AND LAUNCHED MY FIRST COLLECTION IN 1976. POPULARLY LINKED WITH MADONNA, I BECAME A TV PRESENTER AND LAUNCHED MY OWN RANGE OF PERFUME IN 1993. JEAN-PAUL GAULTIER
19. TRUE OR FALSE – IF YOU EAT POPPY SEED COVERED BREADCAKES YOU COULD FAIL A DRUG TEST FOR HEROIN? TRUE
20. TRUE OR FALSE – WALT DISNEY WAS AFRAID OF MICE? FALSE
21. ACCORDING TO AN ARCHAEOLOGICAL SURVEY HOW LONG IN MILES WAS THE GREAT WALL OF CHINA? 13171 MILES

Image Image Image

This quiz produced the follwoing scores.....
JUS 11 (tiebreaker 3500)
BUZZIE 14 (1950)
And the winner.....
BIGAL 17 (5000)
Last edited by IAN B on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#147306 by IAN B
Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:03 pm
As promised here's another quiz from The Railway's resident QM, I'll post the answers to this and the above quiz on Monday 21st Jan - PM your answers

01. NAME THE YEAR.SOPHIE ELLIS-BEXTOR FEATURED ON THE SPILLER No1 “GROOVEJET”, TRAVIS WON TWO BRIT AWARDS AND THE BEATLES TOPPED THE UK ALBUM CHARTS FOR THE 15th AND LAST TIME. 2000
02. WHAT NICKNAME LINK SPORTS TEAMS FROM THE INDIAN PROVINCE OF RAJASTHAN, KANSAS CITY AND THE TOWN OF READING? ROYALS
03. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE EARTHWORK AND FOOTPATH THAT ROUGHLY FOLLOWS THE BORDER BETWEEN ENGLAND AND WALES? OFFA's DYKE
04. WHICH TELEVISION SOAP WAS FIRST BROADCAST IN 1972 AND LOST A WORD FROM ITS’ TITLE IN 1989? "EMMERDALE (FARM)"
05. WHAT COCKTAIL IS MADE USING WHITE RUM, MINT LEAVES, LIME JUICE, SUGAR AND SODA WATER? MOJITO
06. WHY WAS DERBYSHIRE MAN REG DEAN IN THE NEWS THIS WEEK? BRITAIN'S OLDEST MAN WHO DIED
07. WHAT SYMBOL DOES THE SINGER KESHA INCORPORATE INTO HER NAME? $
08. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING PIECES OF SPORTING IS THE HIGHEST – THE CENTRE OF A LAWN TENNIS NET, A HURDLE FOR A MENS’ 110M HURDLES RACE OR THE TOP OF A TABLE TENNIS TABLE? MEN'S 100m HURDLE (42")
09. NAME THE PLACE SHOWN IN PICTURE 1. LAS VEGAS
10. IN THE TELEVISION SHOW “2.4 CHILDREN” THE PARENTS OF THE PORTER FAMILY SHARED THE FIRST NAMES OF TWO 60s TV CHARACTERS, WHAT WERE THEY? BILL & BEN
11. WHAT LINKS FORMER BLUR BASSIST ALEX JAMES, FORMER “CORONATION STREET” ACTOR SEAN WILSON AND FORMER F1 RACING DRIVER JODY SCHECKTER? CHEESE MAKERS
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE SCOTTISH LABOUR PARTY WAS FORMED, THE FILM “ROCKY” WAS RELEASED AND WORLD CUP WINNING FOOTBALLERS PATRICK VIERA AND RONALDO WERE BORN. 1976
13. IN 1981 PHIL COLLINS PERFORMED “IN THE AIR TONIGHT” ON “TOP OF THE POPS” WITH A TIN OF PAINT ON HIS DRUMKIT, WAS IT BECAUSE – A FORMER GENESIS BANDMATE MADE A BET WITH HIM, FAMED DRUMMER COZY POWELL SAID HE SOUNDED LIKE A CHILD BANGING ON PAINT TIN OR HIS WIFE HAD JUST RUN OFF WITH A A PAINTER AND DECORATOR? HIS WIFE HAD (ALLEGEDLY) RUN OFF WITH A PAINTER AND DECORATOR
14. PICTURE 2 SHOWS THE BADGE OF WHICH ENGLISH SPORTS TEAM? WIDNES VIKINGS RLFC
15. WHICH HAS THE LONGEST MAINLAND COASTLINE – ENGLAND, NORTHERN IRELAND, SCOTLAND OR WALES? SCOTLAND
16. THE AMERICAN TELEVISION SHOW “SMALLVILLE” FOLLOWED THE EARLY YEARS OF WHICH SUPERHERO? SUPERMAN
17. WHAT DOES THE DITLOID IN PICTURE 3 REPRESENT? 64 YEARS IN QUEEN VICTORIA'S REIGN
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN MIDDLESBROUGH IN 1959, I HAD PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL TRIALS AS A TEENAGER BEFORE QUALIFYING AS A SOLICITOR. IT WAS WHILST VISITING A LONDON COMEDY CLUB IN 1986 THAT I MET MY FUTURE COMEDY PARTNER, WITH WHOM I MADE MY TV DEBUT IN 1989. I COMPETED IN THE FIRST SPORT RELIEF CELEBRITY BOXING MATCH IN 2002. BOB MORTIMER
19. TRUE OR FALSE – IN SPACE IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO CRY? TRUE - due to the lack of gravity
20. TRUE OR FALSE – THOMAS EDISON, THE INVENTOR OF THE LIGHT BULB, WAS SCARED OF THE DARK? TRUE
21. IN MILES HOW LONG IS ENGLAND’S A38? 292 MILES

Image Image 64 Y IN Q V R

Three entries again.....
JUS 12 (tiebreaker 105)
ROB_BOB 15 (300)
And another win for.....
BIGAL 18 (300)

#147414 by IAN B
Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:48 pm
My regulars found this one a bit tougher than my recent offerings, let's see how you perform - PM your answers

01. NAME THE YEAR. OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN REPRESENTED THE UNITED KINGDOM IN THE EUROVISION SONG CONTEST, KISS RELEASED THEIR FIRST ALBUM AND THE FIRST KNEBWORTH FESTIVAL WAS STAGED. 1974
02. LIONEL MESSI HAS JUST BEEN VOTED WORLD FOOTBALLER OF THE YEAR FOR THE FOURTH CONSECUTIVE TIME, BUT WHO WAS THE LAST PLAYER TO WIN IT BEFORE HIM? CRISTIANO RONALDO
03. IN WHICH COUNTY IS THE QUEEN’S COUNTRY HOME, SANDRINGHAM? NORFOLK
04. NAME THE FILM SHOWN IN PICTURE 1. "THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN"
05. WHAT WAS THE FIRST NAME OF MR GUINNESS, THE FOUNDER OF THE BREWING COMPANY? ARTHUR
06. AVIATION BOSSES WORLDWIDE HAVE WITHDRAWN THE BOEING 787 FROM SERVICE, BUT WHAT IS THE AIRPLANE’S NAME? DREAMLINER
07. IN WHICH MUSICAL DID JASON DONOVAN MADE HIS STAGE DEBUT? "JOSEPH AND HIS AMAZING TECHNICOLOUR DREAMCOAT
08. WITH WHICH SPORT WOULD YOU ASSOCIATE PLAYERS NICKNAMED THE MAILMAN, DR J AND THE DREAM? BASKETBALL - Karl Malone, Julius Erving and Hakeem Olajuwon
09. DOES THE USA HAVE MORE STATES WITH ATLANTIC COASTLINES OR MORE STATES WITH PACIFIC COASTLINES? ATLANTIC (9-5)
10. THE TITLE OF WHICH TELEVISION SHOW WAS INPSIRED BY A 1956 COLE PORTER SONG THAT FEATURED IN THE FILM “HIGH SOCIETY”? "WHO WEANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?"
11. WHICH TWO CONSECUTIVE MONTHS OF THE SAME CALENDAR YEAR HAVE THE MOST DAYS IN TOTAL? JULY and AUGUST
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE QE2 MADE ITS’ MAIDEN VOYAGE, MARIO PUZO’S NOVEL “THE GODFATHER” WAS PUBLISHED AND ITV AND BBC 1 BOTH BROADCAST IN COLOUR. 1969
13. TRADITIONALLY FOUND IN MEXICO, WHAT TYPE OF BAND IS SHOWN IN PICTURE 2? MARIACHI
14. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING PIECES OF SPORTING EQUIPMENT HAS THE LARGEST DIAMETER – GOLF BALL, SQUASH BALL OR TABLE TENNIS BALL? GOLF BALL (just)
15. NAME THE CITY SHOWN IN PICTURE 3. RIO DE JANEIRO
16. IN THE FILM “BACK TO THE FUTURE” WHAT SPEED MUST DOC BROWN’S CAR REACH TO TRAVEL IN TIME? 88MPH
17. THE ARE FOUR GEMSTONES THAT ARE CLASSIFIED AS PRECIOUS, DIAMOND IS ONE. NAME ANY TWO OF THE OTHER THREE? EMERALD, RUBY and SAPPHIRE
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN IRELAND IN 1769, I WAS A PUPIL AT ETON SCHOOL BEFORE ENLISTING IN THE ARMY IN 1787. I WAS AWARDED MY TITLE IN 1814, ONE YEAR BEFORE MY MOST FAMOUS ACHIEVEMENT. ON LEAVING THE ARMY I BECAME BRITISH PRIME MINISTER ON TWO OCCASSIONS BEFORE MY DEATH IN 1852. ARTHUR WELLESLEY, THE 1st DUKE OF WELLINGTON
19. THE 4’11” TALL ARTIST HENRI TOULOUSE LAUTREC ONCE STATED “I MAY BE A SMALL COFFEE POT, BUT I HAVE.....” WHAT?
A BIG SPOUT
20. THE ORIENTAL DELICACY BIRD’S NEST SOUP IS MADE FROM – BIRD DROPPINGS, CHICK EMBRYOS OR BIRD SALIVA? SALIVA
21. IN THE 20th CENTURY HOW MANY PEOPLE WERE SENTENCED TO DEATH IN THE UNITED KINGDOM? 1485

Image Image Image

A close run thing this week....
BUZZIE 14 (tiebreaker 25)
ROB_BOB 14 (40)
JUS 14 (65)
And the winner.....
BIGAL 17 (600)

#147704 by IAN B
Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:53 am
The Railway regulars found this one surprisingly easy with two teams getting 18/20, see how you fair - PM your answers

01. WHAT NOISE PROVIDED A TOP TEN HIT FOR CHER IN 1966, BA ROBERSTON IN 1979 AND DIRTY PRETTY THINGS IN 2006? BANG
02. WHAT PIECE OF SPORTING EQUIPMENT CAN BE A MAXIMUM OF 70CMS IN LENGTH, 1CM IN DIAMETER AND WEIGH NO MORE THAN 160GMS? JOCKEY'S WHIP
03. NAME THE COUNTY HIGHLIGHTED IN PICTURE 1. STAFFORDSHIRE
04. IN THE TELEVISION SHOW “MIAMI VICE” SONNY CROCKETT’S PET ALLIGATOR WAS NAMED AFTER WHICH FAMOUS PERSON? ELVIS
05. IS THE SCOVILLE A UNIT FOR MEASURING THE COCOA PERCENTAGE OF CHOCOLATE, THE ALCOHOL PERCENTAGE OF WINE OR THE HEAT OF CHILLIES? HEAT OF CHILLIES
06. FOLLOWING THE RECENT SNOWFALLS THE ENVIROMENT AGENCY HAVE ADVISED PEOPLE TO BUILD WHAT TO REDUCE THE LIKELIHOOD OF FLOODS? SNOWMEN
07. THE 1986 FALCO HIT SINGLE “ROCK ME AMADEUS” WAS INSPIRED BY WHICH COMPOSER? MOZART
08. WHICH ENGLISH FOOTBALL CLUB ARE NICKNAMED THE BREWERS? BURTON ALBION
09. WITH A COASTLINE MEASURING JUST 2.5 MILES WHICH COUNTRY HAS THE SHORTEST COASTLINE IN EUROPE? MONACO
10. NAME THE PERSON ON THE RIGHT OF PICTURE 2. JONATHAN ROSS
11. IT TAKES TWO GARDENERS 8 DAYS TO MOW A LAWN. ONE IS LAZY AND ONE IS ENERGETIC. THE ENERGETIC ONE WOULD ONLY TAKE 12 DAYS TO MOW IT ON HIS OWN. HOW MANY DAYS WOULD THE LAZY GARDENER TAKE TO MOW THE LAWN ON HIS OWN? 24 DAYS
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE LAST EXECUTION TOOK PLACE IN BRITAIN, THE FIRST FORD MUSTANG WAS BUILT AND THE FIRST “HABITAT” STORE WAS OPENED. 1964
13. WHAT IS SIR PAUL McCARTNEY’S MIDDLE NAME? JAMES PAUL McCARTNEY
14. FOR WHICH SPORT WOULD THE EQUIPMENT IN PICTURE 3 HAVE BEEN USED? AMERICAN FOOTBALL
15. WHICH IS THE SHORTEST OF SHEFFIELD’S FIVE RIVERS? LOXLEY - although ironically the most deadly, being responsible for the 1864 flood
16. IN THE TELEVISION CARTOON “CAPTAIN PUGWASH” WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE CABIN BOY? TOM
17. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN ONCE SAID THAT WHAT “.... IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY”? BEER
18. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING HOLLYWOOD FILM STARS IS A MEMBER OF THE HIGH IQ SOCIETY, MENSA – MICHAEL DOUGLAS, JODIE FOSTER, DOLPH LUNDGREN OR SHARON STONE? DOLPH LUNDGREN
19. THE DVLA HAS RECENTLY RELEASED THE THREE NUMBER PLATES IN PICTURE 4, BUT WHICH HAD THE HIGHEST PRICE? ORG 45 M
20. IN 1918 WHAT GADGET FIRST APPEARED IN THE HOME APPLIANCES SECTION OF THE SEARS CATALOGUE, TEN YEARS BEFORE THE ELECTRIC IRON AND NINE YEARS BEFORE THE ELECTRIC VACUUM CLEANER? VIBRATOR
21. IN FEET WHAT WAS THE MAXIMUM CRUISING ALTITUDE OF CONCORDE? 60039 FEET

Image Image Image
BO 11 LOX
ORG 45 M
PEN 15

Firstly welcome to a newbie Ariadne, and then the scores.....
ARIADNE 7 (tiebreaker 38000)
JUS 10 (750 - maybe powered flight hasn't reached Lancs yet?)
And the winner.....
ROB_BOB 13 (70000)

#147976 by IAN B
Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:56 pm
Thought this was quite a tough quiz, but my regulars came up with some good answers - PM your answers

01. NAME THE YEAR. CLIFF RICHARD FINISHED SECOND IN THE EUROVISION SONG CONTEST, THE YARDBIRDS BECAME THE NEW YARDBIRDS AND BLUR FRONT MAN DAMON ALBARN WAS BORN. 1968
02. WHICH BRITISH DRIVER HAS THE MOST F1 GRAND PRIX WINS? NIGEL MANSELL
03. IN WHICH SOUTH AMERICAN COUNTRY DID BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID AND THE REVOLUTIONARY CHE GUEVARA DIE? BOLIVIA
04. NAME THE MISSING PERSON IN PICTURE 1. CHRIS MOYLES - Radio 1's Breakfast show presenters
05. IN THE 2002 LIST OF “THE 100 GREATEST BRITONS” WHO RANKED HIGHEST – DAVID BECKHAM, MICHAEL CRAWFORD, CHARLES DICKENS OR ALEXANDER FLEMING? MICHAEL CRAWFORD
06. QUEEN BEATRIX THIS WEEK ANNOUNCED HER ABDICATION, BUT WHICH EUROPEAN COUNTRY IS SHE THE MONARCH OF?
THE NETHERLANDS
07. WHAT SURNAME WAS SHARED BY JOHNNY, JOEY AND DEE DEE WHEN THEY FORMED THEIR BAND IN 1974? RAMONE
08. IN THE HISTORY OF SPORT TOFIQ BAHRAMOV IS PROBABLY THE MOST FAMOUS AZERBAIJANI, WHY? HE WAS THE LINESMAN IN THE 1966 WORLD CUP FINAL
09. IN WHICH ITALIAN CITY DID WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE SET “ROMEO AND JULIET” AND A PLAY ABOUT A COUPLE OF OTHER BLOKES? VERONA
10. WHO MADE THE MOST APPEARANCES IN THE “CARRY ON...” SERIES OF FILMS? KENNETH WILLIAMS
11. IF YOU WERE WEARING A SUIT OF ARMOUR WHAT WOULD YOUR BEAVER PROTECT? FACE (jaw to be precise)
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE DEATH SENTENCE WAS ABOLISHED IN BRITAIN, JAPAN OPENED THE WORLD’S LONGEST SUSPENSION BRIDGE AND THE AUTHOR CATHERINE COOKSON DIED. 1998
13. PICTURE 2 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH BAND AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS? QUEEN and "KILLER QUEEN"
14. DETROIT’S NBA BASKETBALL TEAM’S NAME IS DERIVED FROM THE CITY’S HISTORY OF CAR PRODUCTION, WHAT IS IT? PISTONS
15. APART FROM THE BRITISH CAPITALS, WHICH IS THE CLOSEST EUROPEAN CAPITAL CITY TO LONDON? BRUSSELS
16. NEW SOUTH WALES’ SPRINGBROOK NATIONAL PARK IS THE SETTING FOR WHICH TELEVISION PROGRAMME? "I'M A CELEBRITY, GET ME OUT OF HERE"
17. WHAT DOES THE DITLOID IN PICTURE 3 REPRESENT? 270 STATIONS ON THE LONDON UNDERGROUND
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN BRIXTON IN 1947, I FORMED MY FIRST BAND IN 1962 AND RELEASED MY FIRST SOLO RECORDS IN 1967, HAVING MY FIRST No1 SINGLE TWO YEARS LATER. A KEEN ACTOR, I HAD MY FIRST MAJOR FILM ROLE IN 1976 AND MADE MY BROADWAY DEBUT IN 1980. DAVID BOWIE
19. AN EARTHWORM HAS TEN WHAT? HEARTS
20. HOW DID THE ARTIST PAUL GAUGIN, THE PIANIST SCOTT JOPLIN AND THE GANGSTER AL CAPONE ALL DIE – SHOT, SUICIDE OR SYPHILIS? SYPHILIS
21. IN THE 1963 GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY WHAT WAS THE TOTAL VALUE OF MONEY STOLEN? £2595997 10s 0d

Image?????Image
Image ImageImageImageImage
270 S ON THE L U

The four scores were.....
BUZZIE (who couldn't see the pics) 10 (tiebreaker £3250000)
ARIADNE 11 (675000)
JUS 12 (90000)
And the winner.....
BIGAL 18 (£2500000)