• Topic Title

• Topic description
Seen a great idea in your local pub quiz? Looking for advice on how to run your own one? Use this forum to discuss anything to do with setting and running quizzes.

Moderators: playgirl, JUS, rodbox

#140169 by geppsdood
Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:05 pm
I've been running a pub quiz for 3 years now. The last round I always call a "mystery round" where i'll give 10 cryptic clues, or maybe 10 Alphanumerics, or play 10 TV themes, you get the picture. It's different every week.

I've had local trivia, missing links, family fortunes, nursery rhyme initials, not so simple,

Thing is, after 156 different ones, it's hard to try and think of some. Any ideas?
I could really use a little inspiration.

Thanks in advance, everyone.

#140176 by JUS
Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:49 pm
You had dingbats? or maybe an all or nothing round where you don't have to answer every question, but all that you do answer must be right else you score zero for the round?

#140727 by geppsdood
Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:01 pm
Yeah, I've kind of overdone the Dingbats. I like the idea of All or Nothing though. That's great! ANy more ideas though folks? Keep them coming

#142872 by Rob_Bob
Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:02 pm
Variations upon the theme of join them up can be good, list 10 things and 10 things linked to them out of order on a piece of paper. Get your quizzers to draw the line between the connected items.

#144886 by Zevon
Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:33 pm
Any chance you could post some of your mystery rounds. After 8+ yeats I am certainley losing my mojo, and my yet again "Final Quiz2 is in November. I am working on a handout and will post in due course.

#144942 by geppsdood
Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:40 am
I'll certainly get round to it Zevon. To give you some inspiration, some of the rounds I do are:

- Ditloids (Alphanumerics)
-Missing Links (eg, give three words, what word connects them all)
- Odd One Out
- Movie Quotes (Either written OR audio)
- Cryptics
- Family Fortunes (2 pts for top answer, 1 pt for second answer, half point for third)
- The Price Is Right (Pick two products from Tesco, which one is more expensive?)
- Nursery Rhyme Headlines (Made up a headline, such as MRS GILES CUTS THROUGH RODENT INFESTATION PROBLEM - THree Blind Mice)
- Bands first names (Q - John Paul George Ringo, A - Beatles)
- TV Themes (audio)
- Piano instrumental versions of TV Theme tunes (thousands on Youtube)
- Cocktails (state the ingredients to cocktails, punters ahve to name the cocktail)
- Animal Young (say things like Joey, Kid, punters have to guess what type of animal it is)

That's a few I can think of that I've done off the top of my head. I'll try and get round to posting a lot of my old quizzes up.

#149718 by canine plums
Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:20 pm
I did a round where the object was to find the titles of Beatles records contained within the letter.

It started Dear Prudence and finished with PS I Love You, but had several correct answers and red herrings contained within the letter.

It went down well as it had a high average score but still sorted out the men from the boys.

PM me of you would like a copy.

CP