• Topic Title

• Topic description
Seen a great idea in your local pub quiz? Looking for advice on how to run your own one? Use this forum to discuss anything to do with setting and running quizzes.

Moderators: playgirl, JUS, rodbox

#160464 by canine plums
Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:52 am
I did a quiz yesterday with a 'Wipe Out' Round - where a wrong answer gives you nil for the round. So when in doubt leave it blank, cross it out and it wont be marked and you get the scores for the questions you do answer.

Despite me saying only answer if you are all sure you are right after every question only one team scored any points.

There were three questions that did all of the damage.

The first question
Which colour runs through the centre of the flag of Germany?
The answer of course is Red but there here were lots of teams that were sure it was yellow.

The next question that got another tranche of teams was
Which of Henry VIII's wives was the first to die?
Many put Anne Boleyn even though she is remembered for wearing yellow while mourning the death of Catherine of Aragon.

The third one they fell on was
Since Aethelstan was proclaimed King of All England in 927, how many Kings of England have been called Edward?
Many only counted from the Norman kings and put eight but the question asked from 927 which includes the Saxon kings of Edward the Martyr (975 -978) and Edward the Confessor (1042-1066) so ten is the answer I was looking for.
(Edward the Elder was King of Mercia and Wessex until his death in 924)

Has anyone else tried a Wipe Out round and if you did what were the questions that caught them out?

#160465 by wildrover
Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:23 pm
I've always done wipeout rounds on a 1-2-3-4-5 basis with 5 questions of increasing difficulty - I had a slightly different approach in that if for example you didn't want to answer the 4 point question then you had to hand in your paper at that point and didn't get to answer the 5 point question. There are 2 questions I remember in particular that caused zeros all round:

Elvis Presley and the Beatles have had the most number 1s in the UK. Third place with 14 number 1s is shared by a group and a solo artist. Name them both for 4 points.

And even more embarrassingly - you have a 1500 Watt hairdryer and 4 fuses - a 1 Amp, 3 Amp, 5 Amp and 13 Amp fuse. For 2 points which fuse should you use in the plug?

The first one had a 100% failure rate - people either put Madonna for the solo artist or Abba or the Rolling Stones for the group. The correct answer is Cliff Richard and Westlife.

The second one had one correct answer out of 14 and that was admitted to be a guess. I thought everyone knew mains in the UK was 240 Volts which means a 1500 Watt hairdryer will draw (1500/240) a little over 6 amps of current. Therefore the 13 Amp fuse is the only one that won't go pop as soon as you turn it on.
#168314 by John Williams
Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:51 am
I enjoy the wipe out round. Most of the time fail to give right answers, I really don't know why. I know the answers but got nervous.