• Topic Title

• Topic description
Challenge fellow quizzers by posting your favourite questions and quizzes here.

Moderators: playgirl, JUS, rodbox

#122029 by IAN B
Tue May 17, 2011 11:35 am
Different title, same old quizmaster - PM your answers

01. NAME THE YEAR. ERIC CLAPTON WAS ELECTED TO THE ROCK 'N' ROLL HALL OF FAME, DESTINY'S CHILD HAD THEIR FIRST UK No1 SINGLE AND THE GROUP ALL SAINTS DISBANDED. 2000
02. IN THE ACRONYM 'UEFA' WHAT DO THE INITIALS STAND FOR? UNION OF EUROPEAN FOOTBALL ASSOCIATIONS
03. WHAT WORD PRECEDES THE TOWN NAMES OF LEAMINGTON SPA, TUNBRIDGE WELLS AND WOOTTON BASSETT? ROYAL
04. WHICH TELEVISION PRESENTER NARRATES THE NEW CBEEBIES SHOW "RAA RAA THE NOISY LION"? LORRAINE KELLY
05. WHAT IS UNUSUAL ABOUT PICTURE 1? DAVID BECKHAM IS WEARING HIS OBE ON THE WRONG SIDE (as Victoria is subtly pointing out to the paps)
06. WHO RECENTLY EXPRESSED THEIR SADNESS AT NOT BEING INVITED TO THE ROYAL WEDDING? SARAH FERGUSON - she realised just how much she could have sold the invite for
07. WITH WHAT MUSCIAL INSTRUMENT WOULD YOU ASSOCIATE THE MUSICIANS CHARLIE PARKER, JOHN COLTRANE AND KENNY GOERLICK? SAXOPHONE
08. WHICH FOOTBALL CLUBS BADGE IS SHOWN IN PICTURE 2? CRYSTAL PALACE
09. IF YOU ADDED TOGETHER THE NUMBER OF STARS ON THE AUSTRALIAN FLAG, THE NUMBER OF RIDINGS THAT COMPRISE YORKSHIRE AND THE NUMBER OF US STATES WHOSE NAMES BEGIN WITH 'M' WHAT NUMBER SHOULD YOU HAVE? 17 (6+3+8.)
10. WITH WHICH TELEVISION PROGRAMME WOULD YOU ASSOCIATE THE FORMER RUGBY PLAYER JEREMY GUSCOTT AND THE EX-FOOTBALLER JOHN FASHANU? "GLADIATORS"
11. WHICH CHEMICAL ELEMENT HAS THE SHORTEST NAME? TIN
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE FIRST LIVE EARTH CONCERTS WERE STAGED, THE FINAL EPISODE OF "GRANDSTAND" WAS TELEVISED AND THE WORLD CUP WINNING FOOTBALLER ALAN BALL DIED. 2007
13. NAME THE TWO MUSICAL LEGENDS AND THEIR BAND AS SHOWN IN PICTURE 3. RONNIE WOOD, ROD STEWART, THE FACES
14. IN WHICH SPORT MIGHT OLDER PLAYERS BE A MEMBER OF THE 3-4-5 CLUB? RUGBY UNION
15. THE FRENCH CALL IT 'LA MANCHE', WHAT DO THE BRITISH CALL IT? THE ENGLISH CHANNEL
16. BY WHAT NAME IS THE TELEVISION CHARACTER HERSCHEL KRUSTOFSKI BETTER KNOWN? KRUSTY THE CLOWN
17. WHERE WOULD YOU FIND THE SMALLEST MUSCLE IN THE HUMAN BODY? THE EAR
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN CAMBRIDGE IN 1948, I MADE MY ENTERTAINMENT DEBUT ON AUSTRALIAN TELEVISION IN HE 60s. I RECORDED MY FIRST SINGLE IN 1966 AND REPRESENTED THE UK AT THE 1974 EUROVISION SONG CONTEST, BEFORE FEATURING ON THREE UK No1s. MAKING MY ACTING DEBUT IN 1965, I AM BEST KNOWN FOR A 1978 FILM. OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN
19.. WHEN SOMALI PIRATES THREATENED TO BOARD A CRUISE SHIP WHAT DID A GERMAN PASSENGER USE TO DEFEND HIMSELF?
A DECKCHAIR
20. WHEN RETIRED SOLDIER LAI JIANSHENG CAME ACROSS EMERGENCY SERVICES TRYING TO STOP A MAN JUMPING FROM A BRIDGE HOW
DID HE HELP THEM? HE PUSHED THE JUMPER OFF THE BRIDGE
TIE BREAKER (nearest answer wins)
21. ZAGREB NOW HOLDS THE RECORD FOR THE BIGGEST 'SMILEY' COMPRISED OF PEOPLE HOLDING UP COLOURED PAPER, HOW MANY PEOPLE TOOK PART? 765

Image Image Image

Just the two entries this week.....
BUZZIE 12 (tie breaker 2765)
and the winner.....
ROB_BOB 15 (1000)
Last edited by IAN B on Tue May 17, 2016 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#122247 by IAN B
Mon May 23, 2011 9:48 am
My second week at The Railway brought up this slightly easier offering - PM your answers

01. NAME THE YEAR. DIANA ROSS AND THE SUPREMES RELEASED THEIR FINAL SINGLE, JOHN LENNON FORMED THE PLASTIC ONO BAND AND LULU WON THE EUROVISION SONG CONTEST. 1969
02. IN SPORT WHO OR WHAT ARE THE BLACK STICKS? NEW ZEALAND'S INTERNATIONAL HOCKEY TEAMS
03. IN WHICH DISTRICT OF LONDON IS THE 2012 OLYMPIC STADIUM? STRATFORD
04. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE COWGIRL IN THE "TOY STORY" FILMS? JESSIE
05. WHICH ENGLISH WORD IS DERIVED FROM TWO FRENCH WORDS MEANING 'SOUR WINE'? VINEGAR
06. MONDAY 23rd MAY IS VICTORIA DAY, A PUBLIC HOLIDAY IN WHICH COMMONWEALTH COUNTRY? CANADA
07. WHAT WORD DESCRIBES BROTHERHOOD OF MAN'S "LOVE", ACE OF BASE'S "LIFE", MADONNA'S "STRANGER" AND BEYONCE & SHAKIRA'S "LIAR"? BEAUTIFUL
08. AT WHICH FAMOUS SPORTING EVENT WOULD THE TROPHY IN PICTURE 1 BE AWARDED? WIMBLEDON TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIPS - it's the men's singles trophy
09. THERE ARE FIVE AMERICAN STATES WHOS' NAMES BEGIN WITH EITHER NORTH, SOUTH, EAST OR WEST, NAME ANY FOUR OF THEM.
NORTH & SOUTH CAROLINA, NORTH & SOUTH DAKOTA and WEST VIRIGINIA
10. NAME THE ACTRESS AND TV PERSONALITY IN PICTURE 2. KELLY BROOK
11. WHAT IS THE TRADITIONAL GIFT FOR A 40th WEDDING ANNIVERSARY? (Clue: it is not parole) RUBY
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE BRITISH COAL INDUSTRY WAS NATIONALISED, THE FIRST PLANE TO FLY FASTER THAN THE SPEED OF SOUND MADE ITS' RECORD BREAKING FLIGHT AND THE SINGERS ELTON JOHN AND KIKI DEE WERE BOTH BORN. 1947
13. PICTURE 3 SHOWS AN ALBUM COVER BY WHICH GROUP? SCISSOR SISTERS
14. STOKE CITY RECENTLY BECAME THE 55th DIFFERENT CLUB TO TAKE PART IN THE FA CUP FINAL, BUT WHO WERE THE 54th CLUB? MILLWALL
15. WHICH TWO BREEDS OF DOG SHARE THEIR NAMES WITH A CANADIAN PROVINCE? NEWFOUNDLAND and LABRADOR
16. IN 1974 WHICH FILM BECAME THE FIRST SEQUEL TO WIN THE OSCAR FOR BEST PICTURE? "THE GODFATHER PTII"
17. IN AUSTRALIA BUSH OYSTERS ARE A DELICACY, BUT WHAT ARE THEY? KANGAROOS' BOL...TESTICLES
18. WHO AM I? BORN MICHAEL PENNINGTON IN LANCASHIRE IN 1971, I ORIGINALLY TRAINED TO BE A PRIEST BEFORE STUDYING CERAMICS. MY BIG BREAK IN COMEDY CAME AT THE 1997 EDINBURGH FESTIVAL. I HAVE SINCE APPEARED IN TV ADVERTS AND ACTED IN BOTH SERIOUS AND COMIC ROLES. JOHNNY VEGAS
19. THE AUSTRALIAN 4 PINES BREWING COMPANY ARE DEVELOPING A BEER DESIGNED TO BE DRUNK WHERE? IN SPACE
20. AMERICAN DON GORSKE RECENTLY DID WHAT FOR THE 25000th TIME IN THE LAST 39 YEARS? EAT A BIG MAC
21. IN KILOMETRES WHAT IS THE DIAMETER OF THE EARTH? 12756kms

Image Image Image

And the scores on the doors were.....
JUS 11 (tie breaker 6150)
STEVIE C 11 (12500)
BUZZIE 14 (16985)
And the winner on the tie breaker (with no extra points for showing his mathematical calculation of the tie breaker answer).....
ROB_BOB 14 (12800)

#122551 by IAN B
Sun May 29, 2011 10:32 am
Things are going well at my new venue, let's see what you think of this week's quiz - PM your answers

01. NAME THE YEAR. PRINCE CHANGED HIS NAME INTO A SYMBOL, WHITNEY HOUSTON’S “I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOUâ€Â￾ BECAME THE LONGEST RUNNING US No1 EVER AND SUEDE RELEASED THEIR DEBUT ALBUM. 1993
02. IN THE WORLD OF COMBAT SPORTS, WHAT DO THE INITIALS ‘MMA’ STAND FOR? MIXED MARTIAL ARTS
03. NAME THE ENGLISH COUNTY HIGHLIGHTED IN PICTURE 1. SOMERSET
04. IN THE TV SHOW “ONLY FOOLS AND HORSESâ€Â￾ WHAT NAME DID TRIGGER PERSISTENTLY CALL RODNEY? DAVE
05. WHAT TYPE OF ICE CREAM TAKES ITS’ NAME FROM THE ITALIAN CITY IN WHICH IT ORIGINATED? NEAPOLITAN
06. WHAT NICKNAME IS GIVEN TO THE PRESIDENTIAL LIMOUSINE USED BY BARACK OBAMA ON HIS RECENT VISIT TO BRITAIN? THE BEAST
07. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING BANDS IS THE ONLY ONE TO HAVE FEATURED ON A UK No1 SINGLE – ELO, OMD, REM OR XTC? ELO
08. NAME THE CELEBRITY COMING FACE-TO-FACE WITH HIS NEW WAXWORK IN PICTURE 2. ALAN SHEARER
09. WHICH ENGLISH COUNTY WAS FORMERLY COMPRISED OF AREAS CALLED HOLLAND, KESTEVEN AND LINDSAY LINCOLNSHIRE
10. IN THE TELEVISION SHOW “FATHER TEDâ€Â￾ THE MAIN CHARACTER SHARED A HOUSE WITH WHICH TWO OTHER PRIESTS? DOUGAL & JACK
11. PICTURE 3 SHOWS THE BADGE OF WHICH MOTOR MANUFACTURER? SUZUKI
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE UK MADE ITS’ DEBUT IN THE EUROVISION SONG CONTEST, “THE SKY AT NIGHTâ€Â￾ MADE ITS’ TELEVISION DEBUT AND THE ICE DANCER JAYNE TORVILL WAS BORN. 1957
13. WHICH CHART TOPPING ARTIST WAS BORN JESSICA ELLEN CORNISH? JESSIE J
14. IF YOU ADDED TOGETHER THE MINIMUM NUMBER OF DARTS REQUIRED TO SCORE 501, THE NUMBER OF POINTS FOR A TRY IN RUGBY UNION AND THE NUMBER OF POINTS SCORED BY THE WINNER OF A F1 GRAND PRIX WHAT NUMBER SHOULD YOU HAVE? 39
15. IN WHICH AMERICAN STATE, WHOSE CAPITAL IS HARRISBURG, COULD YOU START AT BEAVER AND TRAVEL VIA INTERCOURSE TO REACH CLIMAX? PENNSYLVANIA
16. WHO WAS THE FIRST ACTRESS TO DEMAND AND RECEIVE A $1 MILLION FEE TO APPEAR IN A FILM, WHICH WAS RELEASED IN 1963? ELIZABETH TAYLOR
17. ON AN OVEN GAS MARK 6 IS EQUIVALENT TO WHAT TEMPERATURE IN DEGREES CENTIGRADE? 200
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN LOS ANGELES IN 1975 TO ACTOR PARENTS, I MADE MY FILM DEBUT IN 1982. I BEGAN TO SECURE LEAD ROLES IN THE 90s, WINNING MY ONLY OSCAR FOR A 1999 FILM. MARRIED THREE TIMES, I HAVE SIX CHILDREN. ANGELINA JOLIE
19. THE US AGENCY RESPONSIBLE FOR DEALING WITH MEDICAL EMERGENCIES HAS ISSUED GUIDELINES ON HOW TO DEAL WITH AN INVASION OF WHAT? ZOMBIES
20. CHINAMAN LI QINGYOU HAS DEVISED WHAT UNUSUAL WAY OF MAKING HIS BICYCLE SAFE FROM THIEVES? RIDES IT WITHOUT A FRONT WHEEL
21. ACCORDING TO “THE GUINNESS BOOK OF RECORDsâ€Â￾ DAVID MORGAN HOLDS THE RECORD FOR THE BIGGEST COLLECTIONOF PARKING CONES, HOW MANY DIFFERENT ONES DOES HE OWN? 137

Image Image Image

This week's scores were.....
STEVIE C 14 (tie breaker 300)
ROB_BOB 15 (100)
WILDROVER 17 (1000)

#122847 by IAN B
Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:49 pm
I was lucky to get out alive after presenting this quiz :shock: - PM your answers

01. NAME THE YEAR. PAUL WELLER AND ANNIE LENNOX WON THE BRIT AWARDS FOR BEST BRITISH SOLO ARTISTS, THE FUGEES HAD THEIR FIRST UK No1 SINGLE AND THE MONKEES EMBARKED ON THEIR 30th ANNIVERSARY REUNION TOUR. 1996
02. BARCELONA RECENTLY BECAME THE SIXTH CLUB TO WIN FOOTBALLS’ EUROPEAN CUP OR CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FOUR OR MORE TIMES, NAME THREE OF THE OTHER FIVE. AC MILAN, AJAX, BAYERN MUNICH, LIVERPOOL and REAL MADRID
03. IF YOU ADDED TOGETHER THE NUMBER OF SEPARATE RED AREAS ON THE UNION FLAG, THE US STATES WHOS’ NAMES BEGIN WITH ‘N’ AND THE EUROPEAN COUNTRIES WHOS’ NAME BEGIN WITH ‘B’ WHAT NUMBER SHOULD YOU HAVE? 17 (5+8+4)
04. NAME THE ACTOR AND TV PERSONALITY SHOWN IN HIS YOUNGER DAYS IN PICTURE 1. RUSSELL BRAND - I could have said comedian, but he's never made me laugh
05. BASED IN NEW YORK CITY WHAT DO THE INITIALS IN THE NAME OF THE INTERNET COMPANY ‘AOL’ STAND FOR? AMERICA ON LINE
06. RE-ELECTED THIS WEEK AS THE PRESIDENT OF FIFA, WHAT NATIONALITY IS SEPP BLATTER? SWISS
07. NAME THE MUSICAL INSTRUMENT IN PICTURE 2. BOZOUKI
08. THE LONGEST STANDING WORLD OUTDOOR ATHLETICS RECORD IS 1 MINUTE 53.28 SECONDS IN WHICH EVENT? WOMEN'S 800 METRES (or men's 400m if you're from Lancashire, must be all those pies!)
09. THERE ARE FOUR CAPITAL CITIES IN THE WORLD WHOS’ NAMES BEGIN WITH ‘W’, NAME ANY THREE OF THEM. WARSAW, WASHINGTON DC, WELLINGTON and WINDHOEK
10. BY WHAT NAME IS THE TV AND FILM SIDEKICK DICK GRAYSON BETTER KNOWN? ROBIN
11. WHAT ARE THE ROYAL PECULIERS, LAWS PERMITTING ROYAL ACCESS TO ANY BUILDING, PLACES OF WORSHIP GOVERNED BY THE MONARCHY OR THE QUEEN’S NICKNAME FOR CHARLES AND CAMILLA? PLACES OF WORSHIP
12. NAME THE YEAR. IN THE USA THE FIRST EXECUTION TOOK PLACE FOLLOWING THE RE-INTRODUCTION OF THE DEATH PENALTY, THE LAST NATURAL CASE OF SMALLPOX WAS DISCOVERED AND THE “BUFFYâ€Â￾ ACTRESS SARAH MICHELLE GELLAR WAS BORN. 1977
13. IN THE 80s THERE WERE THREE UK No1 SINGLES WITH THE WORD ‘RED’ IN THE TITLE, NAME ANY TWO OF THEM. "LADY IN RED", "99 RED BALOONS" and "RED RED WINE"
14. IN TENNIS WHAT NATIONALITY IS THE CURRENT WOMENS’ WORLD NUMBER ONE PLAYER? DANISH
15. WHAT NAME IS SHARED BY A NOTTINGHAMSHIRE MARKET TOWN AND THE LARGEST CITY IN NEW JERSEY? NEWARK
16. IN SEVEN FILMS MADE BETWEEN 1943 AND 1951 WHICH FEMALE LEAD CHARACTER WAS PLAYED BY A MALE? LASSIE
17. THE DINGBAT IN PICTURE 3 REPRESENTS WHICH FOUR WORD PHRASE? KISS AND MAKE UP
18. WHO AM I? THE MOST FAMOUS NATIVE OF SKULL ISLAND, I MADE MY FILM DEBUT IN 1933 AND HAVE APPEARED IN FIVE HOLLYWOOD FILMS , THE MOST RECENT IN 2005. POPULAR IN JAPAN, I HAVE ALSO APPEARED IN MY OWN TV SERIES AND FEATURED IN SEVERAL THEME PARK RIDES. KING KONG
19. ACCORDING TO A RECENT SURVEY WHAT DOES THE AVERAGE BRITISH ADULT SPEND 36 MINUTES A DAY DOING? WORRYING - they obviously didn't ask anyone in my profession
20. GERMAN POLICE IN SAXONY HAVE REPLACED THREE OF THEIR CADAVER DOGS WITH WHAT OTHER CREATURES? VULTURES
21. IN KGS HOW HEAVY WAS THE HEAVIEST MAN EVER WEIGHED? 635

Image Image Image

And the scores were.....
JUS 11 (tie breaker 430)
BUZZIE 12 (725)
and the winner by one point.....
STEVIE C 13 (350)

#123097 by IAN B
Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:53 am
A slightly easier offering this week, that saw a winning score of 18 :( - PM your answers

01. NAME THE YEAR. PHIL LYNOTT PLAYED HIS FINAL GIG WITH THIN LIZZY, THE CURE HAD THEIR FIRST UK TOP TEN HIT AND MICHAEL JACKSON'S "THRILLER" VIDEO PREMIERED. 1983
02. IN WHICH SPORT DO TEAMS COMPETE FOR THE TROPHY IN PICTURE 1? CRICKET - it's the County Championship trophy
03. THE SOUTH AFRICAN LANGUAGE OF AFRIKAANS IS BASED ON WHICH EUROPEAN LANGUAGE? DUTCH
04. IN THE "TOP GEAR" FEATURE "STAR IN A REASONABLY PRICED CAR" WHICH CAR MANUFACTURER CURRENTLY PROVIDES THE REASONABLY PRICED CAR? KIA (CEE'D)
05. WHAT COLOUR IS AT THE CENTRE OF A RAINBOW? GREEN
06. IT 80CMS LONG, WEIGHS 800GMS, HAS 8000 HOLES IN IT AND WAS UNVEILED LAST WEEK, WHAT IS IT? (NB It is not Osama bin Laden's surrender flag). 2012 OLYMPIC TORCH
07. WHICH DAY OF THE WEEK PROVIDED HITS FOR BON JOVI, ROBSON & JEROME AND WHIGFIELD? SATURDAY
08. TRUE OR FALSE - THE NATIONAL BASKETBALL TEAM OF NEW ZEALAND ARE KNOWN AS THE TALL BLACKS? TRUE
09. WHERE AM I? THE SECOND LARGEST CITY IN ITS' COUNTRY WITH A POPULATION OF 1.6M, ITS' MAIN LANGUAGE IS NOT THE SAME AS THAT OF ITS' COUNTRY. THE HOME TO A MAJOR SPORTS TEAM, IT STAGES A F1 GRAND PRIX AND HAS HOSTED THE OLYMPICS. MONTREAL
10. NAME THE TELEVISION QUIZ SHOW IN PICTURE 2. "15 TO 1"
11. IN COCKNEY RHYMING SLANG WHO OR WHAT IS A 'BATTLECRUISER'? PUB/BOOZER
12. NAME THE YEAR. TEENAGERS WERE ALLOWED TO VOTE IN UK ELECTIONS FOR THE FIRST TIME, JON PERTWEE MADE HIS DEBUT AS DR WHO AND FOOTBALL'S WORLD CUP FINALS WERE TELEVISED IN COLOUR FOR THE FIRST TIME. 1970
13. WHICH BAND HAD UK HITS WITH A ROMAN CITY, A TV DUO AND A COMMON MOTORING PROBLEM? CATATONIA
14. LANFRANCO IS THE REAL FIRST NAME OF WHICH FAMOUS SPORTSMAN? FRANKIE DETTORI
15. WHICH IS THE ONLY CITY IN NORTH WALES? BANGOR
16. PICTURED IN A 1956 FILM, BUT BEST KNOWN FOR A SERIES OF FILMS THAT BEGAN IN 1988, NAME THE ACTOR IN PICTURE 3. LESLIE NIELSEN
17. PRESIDENT GEORGE BUSH ONCE PUBLICLY DECLARED HIS DISLIKE OF WHICH VEGETABLE - BROCCOLI, CABBAGE, SPROUTS OR HIS SON? BROCCOLI
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN BUCKINGHAMSHIRE IN 1968, THE SON OF A LIEUTENANT COLONEL, I ATTENDED PUBLC SCHOOL BEFORE STUDYING MODERN HISTORY AT OXFORD, WHERE I STARTED PERFORMING COMEDY. THE WINNER OF THE 1999 PERRIER AWARD, I AM BEST KNOWN FOR A CHARACTER WHO FIRST APPEARED IN 1994. AL MURRAY
19. TRUE OR FALSE - THE OXFORDSHIRE TOWN OF WITNEY HAS A BASKETBALL TEAM CALLED THE WITNEY HOUSTONS? TRUE
20. A 17 YEAR OLD CHINESE BOY SOLD WHAT TO RAISE MONEY TO BUY AN iPAD2? A KIDNEY
21. WHAT PERCENTAGE OF HIS WIMBLEDON MENS' SINGLES MATCHES DID BJORN BORG WIN? 92.7%

Image Image Image

And the scores were.....
JUS 11 (76%)
BUZZIE 12 (tie breaker 95.9%)
STEVIE C 13 (90%)
and the winner.....
ROB_BOB 15 (60%)
Last edited by IAN B on Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#124006 by IAN B
Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:04 pm
As I recently took a week off to visits the sites of Dorset....ok, the pubs of Dorset, I've got two quizzes for you this week - PM your answers

01. NAME THE YEAR. BILLY IDOL LEFT GENERATION X TO START A SOLO CAREER, ADAM & THE ANTS HAD THEIR FIRST UK No1 ALBUM AND THE HUMAN LEAGUE HAD THEIR FIRST UK No1 SINGLE. 1981
02. WHICH WAS THE LAST COUNTRY TO BE THE RUNNERS-UP IN TWO CONSECUTIVE FOOTBALL WORLD CUP FINALS? WEST GERMANY
03. WHICH RIVER, A TRIBUTARY OF THE RHINE WHICH IT JOINS AT KOBLENZ, IS ALSO THE NAME OF A GERMAN WINE PRODUCING REGION? MOSEL
04. WHAT STELLAR RECORD DOES THE ACTOR AND “SINGING COWBOYâ€Â￾ GENE AUTRY POSSESS? MOST STARS ON THE HOLLYWOOD WALK OF FAME
05. WHAT SURNAME LINKS ONE OF RUGBY UNION’S LEADING ALL TIME POINTS SCORERS, A CHARACTER IN “THE SWEENEYâ€Â￾ AND A COUNTRY SINGER WHO MARRIED JOHNNY CASH? CARTER - Dan, George and June
06. WHO RECENTLY EXPERIENCED PROBLEMS WITH A ROBOT CALLED OM? TAKE THAT
07. WHAT CONNECTS DAVID BOWIE’S “YEARSâ€Â￾, BIFFY CLYRO’S “RULEâ€Â￾ AND RAZORLIGHT’S “TOUCHâ€Â￾? GOLDEN
08. WHICH COUNTY CRICKET CLUB’S GROUND IS LOCATED ON NOTTINGHAM ROAD? DERBYSHIRE
09. PICTURE 1 SHOWS THE NATIONAL FLAG OF WHICH CARIBBEAN COUNTRY? BERMUDA
10. FORMERLY THE SIDEKICK OF INSPECTOR MORSE, WHAT IS THE FIRST NAME OF THE TV CHARACTER LEWIS? ROBERT/ROBBIE
11. IF YOU ADDED TOGETHER THE NUMBER OF ENGLISH KINGS CALLED CHARLES, HENRY AND WILLIAM WHAT NUMBER SHOULD YOU HAVE?
14 (2+8+4)
12. NAME THE YEAR. DENNIS THE MENACE WAS FIRST PUBLISHED, TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR WON THEIR FIRST LEAGUE TITLE AND KEVIN KEEGAN WAS BORN. 1951
13. NAME THE 80s POP STAR SHOWN IN PICTURE 2. GARY NUMAN
14. THE CURRENT FA CUP TROPHY WAS FIRST WON BY THE CLUB FROM THE CITY IN WHICH THE TROPHY WAS MADE, WHICH CITY WAS IT? BRADFORD
15. NAMED AFTER THE CHEWING GUM MANUFACTURER, IN WHICH U.S. CITY WOULD YOU FIND THE WRIGLEY BUILDING AND WRIGLEY FIELD? CHICAGO
16. NAME THE TWO TELEVISION PERSONALITIES IN PICTURE 3. JON CULSHAW as DAVID DICKINSON
17. IF YOU WERE PLAYING WITH ‘THE DEVIL’S PLAYTHINGS’ WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? PLAYING CARDS
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN BELFAST IN 1945 WITH THE FIRST NAME GEORGE, I FORMED MY FIRST BAND AGED 12. AFTER STARTING A SOLO CAREER, I RECORDED MY MOST FAMOUS SONG IN 1967. INDUCTED INTO THE ROCK ‘N’ ROLL HAL OF FAME IN 1993, I WAS ALSO THE FIRST INDUCTEE INTO THE IRISH MUSIC HALL OF FAME. VAN MORRISON
19. COMEDIAN MILTON JONES EXPERIMENTED TO SEE IF WHO HAD A SENSE OF HUMOUR BY PLAYING TO A GROUP OF NUNS, A HERD OF COWS OR A GROUP OF GERMANS? A HERD OF COWS
20. TRUE OR FALSE – THE WORLD RECORD FOR KEEPING A FERRET IN HIS TROUSERS FOR THE LONGEST TIME IS HELD BY YORKSHIRE PUBLICAN CLAUDE BALLS? FALSE
21. IN WHAT YEAR WAS THE FIRST SHAKESPEARE FESTIVAL HELD IN STRATFORD-UPON-AVON? 1769

Image Image Image

The scores were.....
NERNER 8 (tie breaker 1942) - welcome to the QZ newbie
JUS 10 (1752)
and the clear winner.....
ROB_BOB 16 (1901)

01. NAME THE YEAR. SINEAD O’CONNOR HAD HER ONLY UK No1 SINGLE, THE THREE TENORS GAVE THEIR FIRST CONCERT AND MILLI VANILLI ADMITTED LIP-SYNCHING ON THEIR HIT SINGLES. 1990
02. IN WHICH CITY WOULD YOU FIND THE ONLY STADIUM TO HAVE STAGED BOTH FOOTBALL AND RUGBY UNION’S WORLD CUP FINALS? PARIS
03. IF YOU ADDED TOGETHER THE NUMBER OF COLOURS ON THE JAMAICAN NATIONAL FLAG, THE PROVINCES THAT MAKE UP IRELAND AND THE US STATES WHOS’ NAMES BEGIN WITH ‘W’ WHAT NUMBER SHOULD YOU HAVE? 11 (3+4+4)
04. WHAT WORD IS MISSING FROM THE TITLE CREDITS OF THE BBC PROGRAMME SHOWN IN PICTURE 1? DRUGS - some of my younger regulars got very excited, how disappointed they'll be :wink:
05. WHAT WORD IS THE 17th LARGEST CITY IN THE USA, A GIRL’S NAME AND A DESSERT? CHARLOTTE
06. GLASTONBURY THIS WEEKEND HOSTED ITS’ ANNUAL MUSIC FESTIVAL, BUT WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE FARM WHICH STAGES THE FESTIVAL? WORTHY FARM
07. WINNING THEIR FIRST IN 1988, WHICH BAND HAS WON A RECORD 22 GRAMMY AWARDS? U2 -and Jus followed her answer with :?:, tut tut Bono will be upset
08. OTHER THAN THE WILLIAMS SISTERS ONLY TWO PLAYERS HAVE WON THE WIMBLEDON LADIES SINGLES TITLE IN THE 21st CENTURY, NAME ONE OF THEM. AMELIE MAURESMO and MARIA SHARAPOVA (now joined of course by Petra Kvitova)
09. WHICH CREATURE FEATURES ON THE OFFICIAL FLAG OF THE FALKLAND ISLANDS? SHEEP
10. WHAT IS THE FIRST NAME OF THE LITERARY AND TELEVISION CHARACTER MISS MARPLE? JANE
11. IN YOU VISITED THE WEBSITE ‘AA.COM’ WHICH COMPANY OR ORGANISATION’S SITE WOULD YOU BE VISITING? AMERICAN AIRLINES
12. NAME THE YEAR. A MECHANICAL HEART WAS USED FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A HUMAN PATIENT, MANCHESTER UNITED WON THE LEAGUE TITLE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 41 YEARS AND “THE A-TEAMâ€Â￾ ACTOR MR. T WAS BORN. 1952
13. NAME THE BAND SHOWN IN CARTOON FORM IN PICTURE 2. AC/DC
14. THE LONGEST STANDING OLYMPIC ATHLETICS RECORD IS 8.90 METRES IN WHICH EVENT? MEN'S LONG JUMP
15. IN WHICH CANADIAN PROVINCE IS THE COUNTRY’S CAPITAL CITY? ONTARIO
16. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING COMEDIANS IS THE ODD ONE OUT – JASPER CARROT, EDDIE IZZARD, VIC REEVES AND FRANK SKINNER?
EDDIE IZZARD is the only one to perform using his real name
17. THE DINGBAT IN PICTURE 3 REPRESENTS WHICH FOUR WORD PHRASE? SNAKE IN THE GRASS
18. WHO AM I? I WAS BORN IN EDINBURGH IN 1961. IN 1985 I HAD A UK CHART HIT. I BECAME PART OF A TELEVISION COMEDY TRIO IN 1999. A REGULAR OF COMEDY GAME SHOWS, I HAVE ALSO TRANSLATED OPERAS INTO ENGLSH. RORY BREMNER
19. PSYCHOLOGIST DR DAVID LEWIS BELIEVES THAT WHAT ACTIVITY PRODUCES STRESS LEVELS IN MEN SIMILAR TO THOSE EXPERIENCED BY FIGHTER PILOTS IN COMBAT SITUATIONS? SHOPPING - those who said sex are doing it wrong!!
20. WHAT DID A MAN DO THAT CAUSED THE LOSS OF 8 MILLION GALLONS OF WATER FROM A OREGON RESERVOIR? URINATED IN IT
21. IN WHICH YEAR WAS THE ORGANISATION INTERPOL FOUNDED? 1923

Image Image GRAASPSS

The scores were.....
NERNER 9 (tie breaker 1909)
JUS 10 (1949)
And doubling up on wins.....
ROB_BOB 14 (1960)

#124317 by IAN B
Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:59 am
Another offering from The Railway's resident quizmeister - PM your answers

01. NAME THE YEAR. ROCK ‘N’ ROLL PIONEER BILL HALEY PERFORMED HIS FINAL CONCERT, DEXY’S MIDNIGHT RUNNERS HAD THEIR FIRST UK No1 SINGLE AND THREE MEMBERS OF WESTLIFE WERE BORN. 1980
02. IN CRICKET WHICH COUNTRY, IN 1999, BECAME THE FIRST EVER TO BEAT THE WEST INDIES 5-0 IN A TEST MATCH SERIES? SOUTH AFRICA
03. THE MOST POPULATED ISLAND IN THE WORLD IS JAVA, WHICH COUNTRY IS IT PART OF? INDONESIA
04. WHAT NAME LINKS A ROCK BAND FORMED IN LOS ANGELES IN 1977 AND A CINEMATIC DOG? TOTO
05. WHO IS THE YOUNGEST PERSON EVER TO SERVE AS US PRESIDENT -THEODORE ROOSEVELT, JOHN F KENNEDY, BILL CLINTON OR BARACK OBAMA? THEODORE ROOSEVELT
06. WHO HAS JUST ADMITTED THAT THEY FAILED IN A BID TO REPRESENT THEIR OXFORD COLLEGE ON THE QUIZ SHOW “UNIVERSITY CHALLENGEâ€Â￾? JEREMY PAXMAN
07. INSANE DO CROON IS AN ANAGRAM OF WHICH CHART-TOPPING SINGER’S NAME? SINEAD O'CONNOR
08. PICTURE 1 SHOWS THE LOGO OF WHICH COMPANY? GIOGIO ARMANI
09. WHICH EUROPEAN COUNTRY’S NAME MEANS “BLACK MOUNTAINSâ€Â￾? MONTENEGRO
10. THE PERSON IN PICTURE 2 WAS RECENTLY VOTED “THE MOST HATED MAN IN BRITAINâ€Â￾, WHO IS HE? WYNNE EVANS, who plays the Go Compare opera singer
11. WHAT WORD CAN BE A CHILD’S TOY, A GERMAN DANCE GROUP WHO HAD THEIR BIGGEST HIT IN 2002 AND A CHARACTER FROM THE MUPPETS? SCOOTER
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE EEC WAS FOUNDED, ENGLAND, NORTHERN IRELAND, SCOTLAND AND WALES ALL PLAYED IN FOOTBALL’S WORLD CUP FINALS AND THE SINGER AND ACTRESS TOYAH WILCOX WAS BORN. 1958
13. WHICH SINGER MADE A COMEBACK ON THE PET SHOP BOYS’ “WHAT HAVE I DONE TO DESERVE THISâ€Â￾, 17 YEARS AFTER THEIR PREVIOUS HIT SINGLE? DUSTY SPRINGFIELD
14. PICTURE 3 SHOWS THE BADGE OF WHICH ENGLISH FOOTBALL CLUB? BARNSLEY - quite surprising considering both of the men clearly have jobs and neither has six fingers
15. APART FROM WEMBLEY THERE ARE SIX OTHER STADIUMS IN BRITAIN WITH CAPACITIES OVER 60000, NAME ANY FOUR OF THEM.
CELTIC PARK, EMIRATES STADIUM, MILLENIUM STADIUM, MURRAYFIELD, OLD TRAFFORD and TWICKENHAM
16. TWO ACTORS WITH THE SAME SURNAME HAVE PLAYED THE ROLE OF DR WHO, WHO ARE THEY? COLIN and TOM BAKER
17. WHICH METALLIC ELEMENT HAS THE CHEMICAL SYMBOL Ti? TITANIUM
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN TENNESSEE IN 1946, ONE OF TWELVE CHILDREN, I BEGAN PERFORMING AGED 9. INITIALLY SUCCESSFUL AS A SONGWRITER, I GOT MY BIG BREAK AS A SINGER VIA A 1967 TV SHOW. I HAD MY FIRST No1 IN 1970 AND MY BIGGEST UK HIT IN 1973. I BEGAN MY ACTING CAREER IN A 1980 FILM. DOLLY PARTON
19. MELBOURNE SOCCER TEAM OLD HILL WANDERERS WERE REDUCED TO TEN MEN WHEN A PLAYER WAS SENT OFF FOR REFUSING TO REMOVE WHAT? HIS PENIS PIERCING - how did the ref know he was wearing one??
20. THE BARSTOOLS ON ATISTOTLE ONASSIS’ YATCH WERE COVERED IN GOLD EMBOSSED CROCODILE SKINS, IVORY BEADED ELEPHANT SKINS OR SPERM WHALES’ FORESKINS? SPERM WHALES FORESKINS
21. ACCORDING TO GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS WHAT WAS THE WEIGHT, IN LBS, OF THE LARGEST CURRY EVER MADE? 22707 lbs 9 3/4oz

Image Image Image

An impressive number of entries this week gave us these scores.....
TALLSCOT 10 (tie breaker 300lbs)
ROB_BOB 11 (1000lbs)
BUZZIE 11 (1725kgs)
KGLOVATT 11 (4246lbs)
JUS 12 (80lbs - that's a snack to a Yorkshireman)
WILDROVER 14 (200lbs)
and the winner on only his 2nd attempt at The Railway Quiz.....
NERNER 15 (15000lbs)

#124773 by IAN B
Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:18 am
Hopefully plenty of entrants again this week - PM your answers

01. NAME THE YEAR. ACE OF BASE HAD THEIR FIRST UK No1 SINGLE, MEAT LOAF’S “BAT OUT OF HELL IIâ€Â￾ TOPPED THE UK ALBUM CHARTS AND TAKE THAT’S “COULD IT BE MAGICâ€Â￾ WON THE BRIT AWARD FOR BEST BRITISH SINGLE. 1993
02. PICTURE 1 SHOWS THE BADGES OF SPORTS TEAMS BASED IN WHICH CITY? BOSTON
03. THERE ARE FOUR US STATES WITH THE PREFIX ‘NEW’, NEW JERSEY, NEW MEXICO, NEW YORK AND WHICH OTHER? NEW HAMPSHIRE
04. IN THE “KUNG FU PANDAâ€Â￾ SERIES OF FILMS WHAT IS THE PANDA’S NAME? PO
05. IN THE GAME JENGA HOW MANY BLOCKS ARE THERE IN A FULL SET – 48, 54 OR 60? 54
06. THE FINAL EVER US SPACE SHUTTLE MISSION WAS LAUNCHED THIS WEEKEND, WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE SHUTTLE? ATLANTIS
07. DURING THE 80s THERE WERE TWO UK No1 SINGLES WHOS’ TITLES CONTAINED THE NAMES OF RIVERS, NAME ONE OF THE RIVERS. "FERRY ACROSS THE MERSEY" and "ORINOCO FLOW"
08. SINCE 1968 ONLY TWO PLAYERS HAVE LOST FOUR WIMBLEDON MEN’S SINGLES FINALS, NAME EITHER OF THEM.
JIMMY CONNORS and BORIS BECKER
09. UNTIL THE 1980s WHICH LONDON STREET WAS SYNONYMOUS WITH THE PRESS AND NEWSPAPER INDUSTRY? FLEET STREET
10. WHAT LINKS THE TWO PICTURES IN PICTURE 2? REMBRANDT
11. WHAT TYPE OF CREATURE IS THE ONLY MAMMAL WITH A VENOMOUS BITE? SHREW
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE NEW LONDON BRIDGE WAS OPENED, GEORGE FOREMAN BECAME WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT BOXING CHAMPION AND THE PILOT EPISODE OF “LAST OF THE SUMMER WINEâ€Â￾ WAS TELEVISED. 1973
13. WHO WERE THE TWO MEMBERS OF THE POP DUO THE EURYTHMICS? DAVE STEWART and ANNIE LENNOX
14. IN 1998 FRANCE’S LAURENT BLANC BECAME THE FIRST MAN EVER
TO DO WHAT IN A FIFA WORLD CUP MATCH? SCORE A GOLDEN GOAL
15. NAME THE EUROPEAN CAPITAL CITY IN PICTURE 3? BERLIN
16. WHICH FAMOUS SPORTSMAN WAS THE STAR OF THE WARNER BROTHERS’ FILM “SPACE JAMâ€Â￾? MICHAEL JORDAN
17. WHAT COMMON, FOUR WORD PHRASE IS DERIVED FROM A MEDIEVAL TREATMENT FOR RABIES? HAIR OF THE DOG
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN NEBRASKA IN 1924, I DEVELOPED AN EARLY INTEREST IN ACTING, WORKING ON BROADWAY BEFORE MAKING MY FILM DEBUT IN 1950. I WON MY FIRST OSCAR IN 1954 AND BECAME THE SECOND PERSON TO REFUSE AN OSCAR FOLLOWING MY 1972 SUCCESS. DESPITE RETIRING IN 1980 I MADE FILM APPEARANCES UNTIL MY DEATH IN 2004. MARLON BRANDO
19. WHEN INSPECTORS VISITED A UGANDAN SCHOOL WHAT DID THEY FIND WAS BEING USED AS THE SCHOOL BELL? AN UNEXPLODED MINE/BOMB
20. IN THE US STATE OF TENNESSEE THERE IS A LAW WHICH STATES THAT IS ILLEGAL TO DRIVE A MOTOR VEHICLE WHILST WHAT? ASLEEP
21. WHAT WAS THE GROSS REVENUE, IN US DOLLARS, OF THE 1997 FILM “TITANICâ€Â￾? $1,843,201,26

Image Image Image
ImageImage

Just the two entrants this week..... :(
BUZZIE 11 (tie breaker $530m)
And our winner.....
JUS 12 ($600m)

#125155 by IAN B
Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:56 am
Well I didn't think this quiz was that difficult, but, with a winning score of 12, I'm not sure my regulars agreed - PM your answers

01. NAME THE YEAR. THE GRATEFUL DEAD DISBANDED AFTER THE DEATH OF FRONTMAN JERRY GARCIA, BJORK HAD HER BIGGEST UK HIT AND NORWAY WON THE EUROVISION SONG CONTEST FOR THE FIRST TIME. 1995
02. IN WHICH CITY MIGHT YOU WATCH SPORTS TEAMS CALLED THE ROBINS, THE STINGRAYS AND THE TIGERS? HULL
03. WHICH FAMOUS LONDON LANDMARK HAS THE POSTAL ADDRESS 87-135 BROMPTON ROAD, KNIGHTSBRIDGE? HARROD'S
04. NAME THE WELL KNOWN ACTRESS SHOWN IN HER YOUNGER DAYS IN PICTURE 1. WENDY RICHARD
05. IN COOKING IF A DISH IS DESCRIBED AS ‘FLORENTINE’ WHAT VEGETABLE WOULD IT CONTAIN? SPINACH
06. THE UNITED NATIONS THIS WEEK FORMALLY RECOGNISED THE WORLD’S NEWEST COUNTRY, WHAT IS IT? SOUTH SUDAN
07. IN WHICH CARIBBEAN COUNTRY DID CALYPSO MUSIC ORIGINATE? TRINIDAD (& TOBAGO)
08. WHO WAS THE FIRST BRITISH ATHLETE TO WIN AN OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL IN A THROWING EVENT? TESSA SANDERSON
09. NAME THE EUROPEAN CAPITAL CITY SHOWN IN PICTURE 2. AMSTERDAM
10. WHAT IS THE NAME OF YOGI BEAR’S LOVE INTEREST? CINDY BEAR.....whoever put BooBoo has been watching a totally different version!!
11. WHAT SURNAME LINKS THE SINGER WHO HAD THE UK’S TOP SELLING ALBUM IN 2001 AND 2003, AN ACTION CHARACTER WHO WILL MAKE HIS FILM DEBUT IN 2012 AND A RECORD BREAKING SPORTSMAN WHO RETIRED IN
2005 AND 2011. ARMSTRONG - Dido, Stretch and Lance
12. NAME THE YEAR. BRITAIN’S LAST TROLLEYBUS SYSTEM CLOSED, “THE GODFATHERâ€Â￾ WAS RELEASED IN CINEMAS AND SPORTSMAN AND ACTOR DWAYNE “THE ROCKâ€Â￾ JOHNSON WAS BORN. 1972
13. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE TREE IN PICTURE 3? JOSHUA - apparently some little Irish band made it famous!
14. REAL MADRID HOLD THE RECORD FOR THE MOST CHAMPIONS’ LEAGUE AND EUROPEAN CUP WINS, BUT WHICH CLUB HAS THE SECOND MOST WINS? AC MILAN
15. WHERE ARE THE SCOTTISH CROWN JEWELS KEPT? UNDER THE KILT....sorry, EDINBURGH CASTLE
16. TWO OF THE ELEVEN ACTORS TO HAVE PLAYED DR WHO WERE NOT BORN IN ENGLAND, WHO ARE THEY? SYLVESTER McCOY and DAVID TENNANT
17. IN THE BOARDGAME “CLUEDOâ€Â￾ WHAT CAN BE ACCESSED VIA A SECRET PASSAGE FROM THE STUDY? THE KITCHEN
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN STOCKHOLM IN 1953, I AM A CHEMICAL ENGINEERING GRADUATE AND FORMER KARATE CHAMPION. I USED MY MARTIAL ARTS SKILLS TO BECOME THE BODYGUARD OF AN ACTRESS AND SINGER WITH WHOM I MADE MY FILM DEBUT IN 1985. THE STAR OF OVER 40 ACTION FLMS, I MADE MY DIRECTORIAL DEBUT IN 2004. DOLPH LUNDGREN
19. NEWLYWEDS TERRY AND JENNIFER CONSTANT HAD A WEDDING CAKE CONTAINING WHAT UNUSUAL INGREDIENT? MARMITE
20. LEGAL EXPERTS IN THE NETHERLANDS HAVE TOLD AMSTERDAM CITY OFFICIALS TO REMOVE STREET SIGNS BANNING WHAT? SMOKING DOPE - the finest street sign design ever!
21. ACCORDING TO “GUINNESS WORLD RECORDSâ€Â￾ HOW MUCH IN LBS, DID THE LARGEST FRUITCAKE EVER MADE WEIGH? 619LBS 2OZ

Image Image Image

And the scores were.....
JUS 9 (tie breaker 875lbs)
BUZZIE 11 (1200lbs)
And the winner.....
NERNER 12 (1000lbs)

#125439 by IAN B
Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:45 am
I think I've eased off on everyone this week - PM your answers

01. NAME THE YEAR. THE BLUES BROTHERS MADE THEIR TELEVISION DEBUT, THE VILLAGE PEOPLE HAD THE FIRST UK No1 SINGLE AND THE WHO’S DRUMMER KEITH MOON DIED. 1978
02. IN 1980 WHICH COUNTRY BECAME THE FIRST COMMUNIST COUNTRY TO WIN TENNIS’ DAVIS CUP? CZECHOSLOVAKIA
03. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE TOWN WHICH STANDS AT THE MOUTH OF THE RIVER TYNE? TYNEMOUTH
04. WITH WHICH FILM WOULD YOU ASSOCIATE HOTEL ROOM 237? "THE SHINING"
05. WHAT HELPFUL GADGET WAS INVENTED IN 1911 BY JOHN J RAWLINGS? THE RAWLPLUG
06. REBEKAH BROOKS, THE EDITOR INVOLVED IN THE NEWS INTERNATIONAL SCANDAL, WAS FORMERLY MARRIED TO WHICH SOAP ACTOR? ROSS KEMP
07. WHICH WAS THE FIRST BRITISH GROUP TO REACH No1 IN THE US ALBUM CHARTS WITH THEIR DEBUT ALBUM? THE SPICE GIRLS
08. PICTURE 1 SHOWS BADGES OF SPORTS TEAMS FROM WHICH CITY? BRISTOL - City, Rovers and Rugby
09. WHICH CAPITAL CITY STANDS ON A SITE WHERE, ACCORDING TO LEGEND, AN EAGLE WAS SEEN EATING A SNAKE WHILST SITTING ON A CACTUS? ]MEXICO CITY
10. ON TELEVISION HILARY DEVEY IS THE LATEST PERSON TO BECOME WHAT? A "DRAGON'S DEN" DRAGON - looks like one too!!
11. THE DINGBAT N PICTURE 2 REPRESENTS WHICH FOUR WORD PHRASE? FACE IN THE CROWD
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE FIRST STAR ON THE HOLLYWOOD WALK OF FAME WAS UNVEILED, ELVIS PRESLEY COMPLETED HIS MILITARY SERVICE AND THE TV PRESENTER JEREMY CLARKSON WAS BORN. 1960
13. IN THE CLASSIFICATION OF MALE SINGING VOICES WHAT COMES BETWEEN BASS AND TENOR? BARITONE
14. THERE ARE FIVE NFL AMERICAN FOOTBALL TEAMS NAMED AFTER BIRDS, NAME ANY THREE OF THE BIRDS. CARDINALS, EAGLES, FALCONS, RAVENS and SEAHAWKS
15. IF YOU WERE STANDING ON TOP OF ENGLAND’S HIGHEST MOUNTAIN IN WHICH COUNTY WOULD YOU BE? CUMBRIA
16. PICTURE 3 SHOWS A SCENE FROM THE FILM “MONTY PYTHON’S LIFE OF BRIANâ€Â￾ CONTAINING JOHN CLEESE AND WHICH OTHER FAMOUS PERSON? GEORGE HARRISON, who helped finance the film
17. TRUE OR FALSE – THE CHILDREN’S TOY STRETCH ARMSTRONG HAS A DOG CALLED FETCH ARMSTRONG? TRUE
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN BRADFORD IN 1943, I BEGAN MY WORKING LIFE AS AN ITV JOURNALIST BEFORE MOVING INTO TELEVISION PRESENTING. I WAS THE FIRST PERSON TO BE SEEN ON CHANNEL 4. THE HONORARY MAYOR OF THE YORKSHIRE VILLAGE OF WETWANG AND A OBE, I DIED IN 2005. RICHARD WHITELEY
19. TRUE OR FALSE – THE CORRIDORS OF BUCKINGHAM PALACE HAVE TRAFFIC LIGHTS TO STOP THE STAFF BUMPING INTO THE QUEEN? FALSE, but the mental image is funny!
20. ACCORDING TO RECENTLY DISCOVERED RECORDS HITLER ORDERED WHAT FOR HIS TROOPS IN ORDER TO SAFEGUARD THEIR HEALTH? SYNTHETIC COMFORTERS aka SEX DOLLS
21. THE MOST GOALS RECORDED IN A FOOTBALL MATCH IN A SENIOR FOOTBALL COMPETITION WAS WHEN AS ADEMA PLAYED SOE ANTANARIVO, HOW MANY GOALS WERE SCORED? 149 (149-0)

Image Image Image

The scores were as follows.....
BUZZIE 7 (tie breaker 189)
JUS 9 (129)
STEVIE C 10 (37)
but the runaway winner was.....
ROB_BOB 16 (100)

#125735 by IAN B
Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:16 pm
Very upset when this quiz was won with a score of 17 - I must try harder - PM your answers

01. NAME THE YEAR. THE ROLLING STONES RELEASED THEIR DEBUT ALBUM, MANFRED MANN HAD THEIR FIRST UK No1 HIT AND SONNY & CHER FIRST PERFORMED TOGETHER. 1964
02. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING SPORTS HAS NEVER FEATURED IN THE OLYMPIC GAMES – CLIFF DIVING, HORSE LONG JUMP, LIVE PIGEON SHOOTING, MOTOR BOAT RACING OR UNDERWATER SWIMMING? CLIFF DIVING
03. NAME THE COUNTY HIGHLIGHTED IN PICTURE 1. GLOUCESTERSHIRE
04. WHERE DID KEN DODD’S DIDDYMEN WORK? THE KNOTTY ASH JAM BUTTY MINES
05. IN THE GAME OF BACKGAMMON HOW MANY PIECES DOES EACH PLAYER START THE GAME WITH? 15
06. THE PRINCESS ROYAL THIS WEEK UNVEILED THE 2012 OLYMPIC MEDALS WHICH BEAR THE IMAGE OF THE GREEK GODDESS OF VICTORY, WHO IS SHE? NIKE
07. ELAINE PAIGE AND BARBARA DICKSON HAD A UK No1 DUET I 1985, BUT WHICH OF THEM REACHED THE HIGHEST CHART POSITION AS A SOLO ARTIST? ELAINE PAIGE
08. THE SPORTSMAN SHOWN IN HIS YOUNGER DAYS IN PICTURE 2 IS FAMOUS FOR PLAYING WHICH SPORT? CRICKET - it's Sachin Tendulkar
09. IN WHICH BERKSHIRE TOWN WOULD YOU FIND THE ROYAL MILITARY ACADEMY? SANDHURST
10. WHICH COMEDIAN AND ACTOR WAS DELIRIOUS IN 1983 AND RAW IN 1987? EDDIE MURPHY
11. WHEN WRITING ONE TRILLION IN NUMBERS HOW MANY ZEROES ARE USED? 12
12. NAME THE YEAR. A BRITISH ACTOR WON AN OSCAR FOR THE FIRST TIME, CLARENCE BIRDSEYE BECAME THE FIRST PERSON TO SELL FROZEN FOOD AND THE ENTERTAINER ROLF HARRIS WAS BORN. 1930
13. WHICH SINGER WAS BORN DAVID ROBERT HAYWOOD JONES, BUT LATER CHANGED HIS SURNAME? DAVID BOWIE
14. ONLY FOUR COUNTRIES HAVE APPEARED AT EVERY SUMMER OLYMPIC GAMES SINCE THE FIRST ONE IN ATHENS IN 1896, NAME ANY TWO OF THEM. AUSTRALIA, FRANCE, GREECE and GREAT BRITAIN
15. MANCHESTER HAS THE TRAFFORD CENTRE AND LEEDS THE WHITE ROSE CENTRE, BUT WITH WHICH BRITISH CITY WOULD YOU ASSOCIATE THE METRO CENTRE? NEWCASTLE-PON-TYNE
16. NAME THE CARTOON FAMILY SHOWN IN PICTURE 3. THE JETSONS
17. IN THE UK WHAT IS THE MOST COMMON NAME FOR A PET RABBIT? THUMPER - I can't believe Jus has called hers Rampant!!
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN INDIANA IN 1930, I WENT FROM BEING A TEENAGE GANG MEMBER TO HONORABLY DISCHARGED US MARINE. I BEGAN STUDYING ACTING IN 1952, MAKING MY FILM DEBUT IN 1956 AND BEING NOMINATED FOR AN OSCAR IN 1967. DESPITE DRUG AND ALCOHOL PROBLEMS, I WAS NOTED FOR MY FITNESS AND PERFORMING MY OWN STUNTS. I DIED IN 1980. STEVE McQUEEN
19. TRUE OR FALSE – IN FINLAND CONSCRIPTS ARE EXCUSED MILITARY SERVICE IF THEY HAVE AN INTERNET ADDICTION? TRUE - WTF!!
20. IN 1904 GEORGE EYSER WON SIX OLYMPIC MEN’S GYNASTIC MEDALS DESPITE BEING A WOMAN, HAVING A WOODEN LEG OR NEVER HAVING COMPETED IN GYMNASTICS BEFORE? HAVING A WOODEN LEG
21. HOW MANY BUILDINGS HAVE BEEN DEMOLISHED TO MAKE WAY FOR THE 2012 OLYMPIC STADIUM IN LONDON? 33

Image Image Image

And the scores were.....
JUS 12 (tie breaker 357)
NERNER 15 (1000)

#126261 by IAN B
Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:51 am
Having had a well-earned weekend off sunning myself in North Wales :shock: I've returned with two quizzes for you - PM your answers

01. NAME THE YEAR. THE FIRST DIGITALLY RECORDED RECORD WAS MADE, KATE BUSH EMBARKED ON HER ONLY TOUR AND THE BAND INXS GAVE THEIR FIRST PERFORMANCE. 1979
02. WHICH WAS THE SECOND BRITISH FOOTBALL CLUB TO WIN THE EUROPEAN CUP? MANCHESTER UNITED
03. FAMOUS FOR ITS’ CHEESE, IN WHICH ENGLISH COUNTY IS THE VILLAGE OF CHEDDAR? SOMERSET
04. BY WHAT NAME IS THE TELEVISION CHARACTER ROBERT TERWILLIGER BETTER KNOWN? SIDESHOW BOB
05. WHICH IS THE ONLY MAMMAL WITH FOUR KNEES? ELEPHANT
06. WHO RECENTLY BECAME THE FIRST EVER BRITON TO WIN THE TOUR DE FRANCE’S MAILLOT VERT (Green jersey)? MARK CAVENDISH
07. BORN MARVIN LEE ADAY, BY WHAT NAME IS THIS CHART-TOPPING SINGER BETTER KNOWN? MEAT LOAF
08. WHAT LINKS THE FOOTBALLERS IN PICTURE 1? THEIR SURNAMES ARE ALL THE NAMES OF COUNTRIES - Mike England, Alan Brazil, Matt Holland and Jason Scotland
09. WHERE AM I? ALTHOUGH NOT THE CAPITAL, THIS IS THE LARGEST CITY IN ITS’ COUNTRY WITH A POPULATION OF APPROX 1.3 MILLION. KNOWN AS THE CITY OF SAILS IT HAS HOSTED A WORLD CUP FINAL AND A COMMONWEALTH GAMES. AUCKLAND
10. WITH WHICH TELEVISION COMPANY WOULD YOU ASSOCIATE THE LOGO IN PICTURE 2? ANGLIASN TELEVISION
11. WHICH PRODUCT WOULD YOU ASSOCIATE WITH THE ADVERTISING TAGLINE “REASSURINGLY EXPENSIVEâ€Â￾? STELLA ARTOIS
12. NAME THE YEAR. THERE WERE THREE POPES, THE BLUES BROTHERS MADE THEIR TV DEBUT AND IAN BOTHAM BECAME THE FIRST CRICKETER TO SCORE A HUNDRED AND TAKE EIGHT WICKETS IN A TEST MATCH. 1978
13. THE WOMAN IN PICTURE 3 HAS A UNIQUE PLACE IN THE HISTORY OF MUSIC, WHAT IS IT? Jo Stafford was THE FIRST WOMAN TO HAVE A UK No1 SINGLE
14. APART FROM PLAYING AMERICAN FOOTBALL WILLIE GAULT AND HERSCHEL WALKER WERE AMERICAN OLYMPIANS IN WHICH SPORT? BOBSLEIGH
15. SOUTH YORKSHIRE BORDERS SIX COUNTIES, APART FROM THE THREE OTHER COUNTIES OF YORKSHIRE, WITH WHICH COUNTIES DOES IT SHARE BORDERS? DERBYSHIRE, LINCOLNSHIRE and NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
16. WHEN THE ASTRONOMER SIR PATRICK MOORE PLAYED A XYLOPHONE SOLO AT THE 1981 ROYAL VARIETY PERFORMANCE WHAT CONTROVERSIAL TUNE DID HE PLAY? "ANARCHY IN THE UK" by The Sex Pistols
17. FORMED IN 1485, BY WHAT NAME ARE THE YEOMAN OF THE GUARD BETTER KNOWN? BEEFEATERS
18. WHO AM I? BORN TO FAMOUS PARENTS IN LONDON IN 1971, I BECAME INTERESTED IN FASHION IN 1984. I HAVE WORKED FOR CHRISTIAN LACROIX, CHLOE AND GUCCI AND AS WELL AS DESIGNING MADONNA’S WEDDING DRESS.
I WILL ALSO WORK WITH THE BRITISH OLYMPIC TEAM FOR 2012. STELLA McCARTNEY
19. A WEST SUSSEX MOTHER IS UNABLE TO TAKE HER DAUGHTER TO THE PARK DUE TO HER FEAR OF WHAT? DUCKS
20. A BRIDLINGTON CHIP SHOP OWNER HAS BEEN FORCED TO DISPLAY WARNING SIGNS AFTER REGULAR ATTACKS ON HIS CUSTOMERS BY WHO? SEAGULLS
21. IN WHAT YEAR DID THE FIRST CONVICT SHIPS LAND AT PORT JACKSON IN AUSTRALIA? 1788

ImageImageImageImage

And the scores were.....
NERNER 10 (tie breaker -)
JUS 11 (1856)
STEVIE C 13 (1790
and the winner.....
ROB_BOB 15 (1790)

01. NAME THE YEAR. AEROSMITH RELEASED THEIR DEBUT ALBUM, SUZI QUATRO HAD HER FIRST UK No1 SINGLE AND DAVID BOWIE ‘RETIRED’ HIS ZIGGY STARDUST CHARACTER LIVE ON STAGE. 1973
02. SINCE 1968 WHICH TENNIS PLAYER HAS APPEARED IN TEN WIMBLEDON WOMEN’S SINGLES FINALS, WINNING THREE OF THEM? CHRIS EVERT
03. PICTURE 1 SHOWS AN AERIAL VIEW OF WHICH BUILDING?. THE TOWER OF LONDON
04. WHICH RECENT TELEVISION SERIES CENTRED AROUND THE CHARACTERS MICHAEL SCOFIELD AND LINCOLN BURROWS? " PRISON BREAK"
05. BAMMY, DAMPER AND PUMPERNICKEL ARE ALL TYPES OF WHAT? BREAD
06. THE WORLD’S LONGEST GUIDED BUSWAY OPENED THIS WEEK, IN WHICH ENGLISH COUNTY? CAMBRIDGESHIRE
07. WHAT NAME WAS GIVEN TO THE AMERICAN VARIETY THEATRE THAT WAS POPULAR FROM THE 1880s TO THE 1930s? VAUDEVILLE
08. WITH WHICH CITY WOULD YOU ASSOCIATE THE SPORT TEAMS IN PICTURE 2? CARDIFF - Cardiff Devils ice hockey, Cardiff Blues rugby union and Glamorgan County Cricket
09. THERE ARE THREE RIVERS WHICH FORM PART OF THE BORDER BETWEEN ENGLAND AND WALES, NAME ANY ONE. DEE, SEVERN and WYE
OF THEM.
10. WHAT TWO FOOD ITEMS ARE USED FOR SCORING IN THE TELEVISION SHOW “READY, STEADY COOKâ€Â￾? GREEN PEPPERS and RED TOMATOES
11. WHAT ANIMAL WOULD YOU ASSOCIATE WITH THE LACOSTE CLOTHING RANGE? CROCODILE
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE SEARCH ENGINE GOOGLE OPENED AS A UNIVERSITY RESEARCH PROJECT, SRI LANKA WON CRICKET’S WORLD CUP AND “THE ENGLISH PATIENTâ€Â￾WON THE OSCAR FOR BEST PICTURE. 1996
13. NAME THE BAND FRONTMAN SHOWN IN HIS YOUNGER DAYS IN PICTURE 3. Slade's NODDY HOLDER
14. WHAT NATIONALITY WERE THE FIRST TWO NON-BRITISH PLAYERS TO REPRESENT EUROPE IN THE RYDER CUP? SPANISH, not Irish as the team was previously referred to as Great Britain and Ireland
15. FOUR EUROPEAN COUNTRIES HAVE NATIONAL FLAGS MADE UP SOLELY OF GREEN, RED AND WHITE, ITALY IS ONE, NAME ANOTHER ONE. BELARUS, BULGARIA and HUNGARY - not Wales as the dragon has a black border
16. WHICH SERIES OF FILMS INCLUDED THE SUBTITLES “THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRYâ€Â￾, “FIRST CONTACTâ€Â￾ AND “INSURRECTIONâ€Â￾? "STAR TREK"
17. WHAT ANIMAL LINKS THE FORD MOTOR COMPANY, THE 80s ROCKER JOHN MELLENCAMP AND THE YORKSHIRE TOWN OF KEIGHLEY? COUGAR
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN BIRMINGHAM IN 1901, I WORKED AS A SOCIETY REPORTER AND GOSSIP COLUMNIST BEFORE RELEASING MY FIRST NOVEL IN 1923. TWICE FEATURED IN “THE GUINNESS BOOK OF RECORDSâ€Â￾, I WAS ALSO A GLIDING PIONEER AND DAME. I DIED IN 2000. BARBARA CARTLAND
19. TRUE OR FALSE – SMILING IN NOT PERMITTED ON BRITISH PASSPORT PHOTOS? TRUE
20. WHEN ETHIOPIAN EMPEROR MENELIK II PURCHASED THREE ELECTRIC CHAIRS TO COMBAT HIS COUNTRIES CRIME WAVE WHAT PROBLEM DID HE MEET? THE COUNTRY HAD NO MAINS ELECTRICITY
21. ACCORDING TO “GUINNESS WORLD RECORDSâ€Â￾ THE RECORD FOR THE FASTEST WALK ALONG THE PAN-AMERICAN HIGHWAY IS? 2426 DAYS - it's approx 19019 miles

ImageImageImage

The scores were.....
JUS 8 (tie breaker 200)
STEVIE C 14 (200)
and doubling up in the winner's column.....
ROB_BOB 16 (1000)

#126499 by IAN B
Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:42 am
Amazing how easily you can baffle people, I thought this was one of my easier offerings, but The Railway regulars had problems - PM your answers

01. NAME THE YEAR. KYLIE HAD HER FIRST UK No1 ALBUM, MICHAEL JACKSON BOUGHT THE RANCH THAT WAS TO BECOME “NEVERLANDâ€Â￾ AND THE HOUSEMARTINS DISBANDED. 1988
02. IF YOU ADDED TOGETHER THE HEIGHT IN FEET OF A STANDARD SET OF FOOTBALL GOALPOSTS, THE NUMBER OF POINTS FOR A TOUCHDOWN IN AMERICAN FOOTBALL AND THE NUMBER OF TIMES IVAN LENDL WON THE WIMBLEDON MENS’ SINGLES TITLE WHAT NUMBER SHOULD YOU HAVE? 14 (8+6+0)
03. HOW MANY TIME ZONES ARE THERE IN EUROPE? 4
04. WHO DROVE A CAR WITH THE LICENCE PLATE ’ECTO 1’? THE GHOSTBUSTERS
05. HOW MANY ARMS DOES A SQUID HAVE? 8
06. WHICH FAMOUS PERSON REPORTEDLY HAD PROBLEMS THIS WEEK WITH GREY HAIR? WAYNE ROONEY
07. PICTURE 1 GIVES AS CRYPTIC CLUE TO WHICH SONG TITLE? "HEY JUDE"
08. IN WHICH COUNTRY IS THE ORANGE EKSTRAKLASA THE HIGHEST FOOTBALL DIVISION? POLAND
09. NAME THE CITY IN PICTURE 2. RIO DE JANEIRO
10. IN THE FILM “WHEN HARRY MET SALLY WHO PLAYED HARRY AND SALLY? BILLY CRYSTAL and MEG RYAN
11. IN 1969 THE ASTRONAUTS FROM APOLLO 11 LEFT THREE ITEMS ON THE MOON, NAME ANY TWO OF THEM. A US FLAG, A COMMEMORATIVE PLAQUE and A GOLF BALL
12. NAME THE YEAR. FIDEL CASTRO BECAME THE PREMIER OF CUBA, MOTOWN RECORDS WAS FOUNDED AND JACK BRABHAM BEDCAME AUSTRALIA’S FIRST F1 WORLD CHAMPION. 1959
13. ALEX JAMES, THE BASS PLAYER WITH THE BAND BLUR, HAS MORE RECENTLY FOUND SUCCESS PRODUCING WHAT? CHEESE
14. IN NETBALL WHAT IS THE ONLY POSITION REPRESENTED BY A SINGLE LETTER ON A PLAYER’S BIB? CENTRE
15. THE FRENCH CALL IN MONT CERVIN, THE ITALIANS MONTE CERVINO, WHAT DO THE BRITISH CALL IT? THE MATTERHORN
16. IN THE TV SERIES AND FILM “THE DUKES OF HAZZARDâ€Â￾ WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE DUKE’S CAR? GENERAL LEE
17. THE DINGBAT IN PICTURE 3 REPRESENTS WHAT FOUR WORD PHRASE? FRIENDS IN HIGH PLACES
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN DUBLIN IN 1976, A TALENTED SCHOOLBOY FOOTBALLER, I FAILED AN AUDITION FOR BOYZONE BEFORE GOING TO ACTING SCHOOL. FOLLOWING A ROLE IN “BALLYKISSANGELâ€Â￾ I HAD MINOR FILMS ROLES BEFORE MY MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH IN 2002-2003. I WON A GOLDEN GLOBE IN 2009. COLIN FARRELL
19. ACCORDING TO MEDICAL RESEARCH WHAT DOES THE AVERAGE PERSON DO SEVEN TIMES A NIGHT? DREAM
20. ALL MEN HAVE ONE, SOME ARE LONGER THAN OTHERS. THE POPE DOESN’T USE HIS AND, AFTER MARRIAGE, MANY MEN GIVE IT TO THEIR WIFE, WHAT IS IT? SURNAME
21. BETWEEN 1977 AND 1987 HOW MANY CONSECUTIVE RACES DID THE ATHLETE ED MOSES WIN? 122

Image Image PINNACLES

Only the twoo entries this week.....
NERNER 9 (tie breaker 122)
JUS 15 (22)

#126894 by IAN B
Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:00 am
01. NAME THE YEAR. BILLY JOEL RELEASED HIS FINAL STUDIO ALBUM, OASIS PLAYED THEUIR FIRST GIG AND RICK ASTLEY RETIRED FROM MUSIC.1993
02. IN SINGLES TENNIS WHAT IS THE MINIMUM NUMBER OF STROKES A PLAYER MUST MAKE TO WIN A SET? 12
03. BEFORE AUSTRALIA WAS DISCOVERED WHAT WAS THE BIGGEST ISLAND IN THE WORLD? AUSTRALIA :wink:
04. WHICH LONG-RUNNING TELEVISION SHOW WAS FIRST AIRED ON THE DAY AFTER PRESIDEN JOHN F KENNEDY
WAS ASSASSINATED? "DR WHO"
05. WHICH COCK CAME FIRST – THE AIRCRAFT COCKPIT, THE BALLCOCK OR THE FEATHERED SHUTTLECOCK? FEATHERED SHUTTLECOCK
06. NEXT TUESDAY, 30th AUGUST, SEES THE END OF WHICH RELIGIOUS FESTIVAL? RAMADAN
07. CLIFF RICHARD’S BACKING GROUP, THE SHADOWS, HAD TO CHANGE THEIR NAME BECAUSE IT WAS ALREADY USED BY WHICH AMERICAN GROUP –THE COMETS, THE DRIFTERS OR THE SUPREMES? THE DRIFTERS
08. WITH WHICH CITY WOULD YOU ASSOCIATE THE SPORTS TEAMS IN PICTURE 1? NOTTINGHAM - Notts CCC, Nottingham Panthers and Nottingham RUFC
09. OCCUPYING MUCH OF THE ENGLAND-WALES BORDER, WHAT, BY AREA, IS THE LARGEST COUNTY IN WALES? POWYS
10. ON FILM JASON MOMOA IS CURRENTLY PLAYING WHICH CHARACTER, WHO GAVE ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER
HIS CINEMATIC BREAKTHROUGH? CONAN THE BARBARIAN
11. IF YOU HAD A HAIRY VIRGIN WHAT SPIRIT WOULD THE COCKTAIL CONTAIN? RUM
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE RUBIK’S CUBE WAS INVENTED, THE FIRST UPC BARCODE WAS SCANNED AND EMERSON FITTIPALDI WON McLAREN’S FIRST F1 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP. 1974
13. WHICH INSTRUMENT TYPICALLY HAS THE MOST KEYS – HARPSICHORD, PIPE ORGAN OR PIANO? PIANO (88 )
14. AT WHICH TWO ENGLISH RACECOURSES ARE RACES CALLED THE GOLD CUP RUN? ASCOT and CHELTENHAM
15. NAME THE COUNTRY HIGHLIGHTED IN PICTURE 2. SUDAN
16. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING SAYINGS IS THE ODD ONE OUT – “ELEMENTARY MY DEAR WATSONâ€Â￾, “PLAY IT AGAIN SAMâ€Â￾, “REMEMBER THE FORCE WILL BE WITH YOU ALWAYSâ€Â￾, “WELL HERE’S ANOTHER FINE MESS YOU’VE GOTTEN ME INTOâ€Â￾. "REMEMBER THE FORCE WILL BE WITH YOU ALWAYS" is the only one that was actualy spoken on screen
17. THE DINGBAT IN PICTURE 3 REPRESENTS WHAT FIVE WORD PHRASE? ONE FOOT IN THE GRAVE
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN SALISBURY IN 1942, I WAS A SCHOOLBOY CHORISTER WHO BEGAN MY SHOWBIZ CAREER
IN OPERAS. AFTER APPEARING IN FILMS AND ON BROADWAY IN THE 60s, I GOT MY BIG TELEVISION BREAK IN 1973. RETURNING TO THE THEATRE I WAS WELL KNOWN FOR A LATE 80s MUSICAL. I RECEIVED AN OBE IN 1988. MICHAEL CRAWFORD
19. TO COMPLY WITH HEALTH AND SAFETY RULES BUTLINS HAVE BANNED WHAT – DODGEMS BUMPING INTO EACH OTHER, SALES OF CANDY FLOSS ON WOODEN STICKS OR WET T-SHIRT COMPETITIONS? DODGEMS BUMPING INTO EACH OTHER
20. OVER 800 RUSSIANS RECENTLY TOOK PART IN A RIVER RACE, NEGOTIATING THE VUOKSA RAPIDS ON WHAT? INFLATABLE SEX DOLLS, apparently female ones were provided free, if you wanted a male one you had to provide your own??
21. BETWEEN 1839 AND 1855 THE SOUTH AMERICAN COUNTRY OF NICARAGUA HAD HOW MANY DIFFERENT RULERS? 396

ImageImageImage

GR 12" AVE

The scores this week were.....
NERNER 10 (tie breaker 2)
ROB_BOB 10 (20)
STEVIE C 11 (11)
And the winner, from the "dark side" of the Pennines.....
JUS 11 (23)

#127452 by IAN B
Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:24 am
Off on my annual pilgimmage to Cornwall to hunt Rattler, so I'll post a couple of quizzes, which you've got two week to enter - PM your answers
01. NAME THE YEAR. PAUL WELLER HAD HIS FIRST SOLO UK TOP TEN HIT, PULP HAD THEIR FIRST UK No1 ALBUM AND BLUR WON FOUR AWARDS AT THE BRITS. 1995
02. IN WHICH COUNTRY IS THE F1 MOTOR RACING CIRCUIT INTERLAGOS? BRAZIL
03. WHICH TWO ENGLISH CITIES LIE CLOSE TO THE ENDS OF THE M62 MOTORWAY? KINGSTON-UPON-HULL and LIVERPOOL
04. IN JANUARY 2011 WHO SET UP THEIR “OWNâ€Â￾ TELEVISION CHANNEL? OPRAH WINFREY
05. OLD JOE FROM THE BARNUM & BAILEY CIRCUS WAS THE ORIGINAL MODEL FOR WHICH PRODUCT? CAMEL CIGARETTES
06. WHICH SINGER USED THE MTV VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS TO ANNOUNCE THAT SHE IS EXPECTING HER FIRST CHILD? BEYONCE
07. PICTURE 1 SHOWS A CARICATURE OF WHO? MRIAH CAREY
08. NAME TWO OF THE THREE LONDON-BASED PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL CLUBS FOR WHOM JIMMY GREAVES PLAYED? CHELSEA, SPURS and WEST HAM UNITED
09. NAME THE EUROPEAN CAPITAL CITY SHOWN IN PICTURE 2. PRAGUE
10. IN THE TELEVISION SHOW “THE DUKES OF HAZZARDâ€Â￾ WHAT WERE THE IRST NAMES OF THE DUKE BROTHERS? BO and LUKE
11. FOR WHAT MIGHT SOMEONE BE AWARDED THE MUSTARD YELLOW BELT? HOT DOG EATING
12. NAME THE YEAR. JIM HINES BECAME THE FIRST MAN TO RUN 100 METRES IN NDER 10 SECONDS, THE ORIGINAL “PLANET OF THE APESâ€Â￾ MOVIE WAS RELEASED AND THE ACTOR AND RAPPER WILL SMITH WAS BORN. 1968
13. IF YOU ADDED TOGETHER THE NUMBER OF BAND MEMBERS IN THE MONKEES, THE NUMBER OF UK No1 SINGLES BY MADNESS AND KYLIE MINOGUE’S AGE HEN SHE HAD HER FIRST UK No1 SINGLE WHAT NUMBER SHOULD YOU HAVE? 24 (4+1+19)
14. IN WHICH SPORT WOULD YOU SCORE ONE POINT FOR A POINT AND THREE POINTS FOR A GOAL? GAELIC FOOTBALL
15. WITH WHICH BRITISH LANDMARK WOULD YOU ASSOCIATE THE FICTIONAL CHARACTER FINN McCOOL? THE GIANT'S CAUSEWAY
16. IN THE STEPHEN KING NOVEL AND FILM “CUJOâ€Â￾ WHAT BREED OF DOG WAS CUJO? ST BERNARD
17. WHAT THREE WORDS COMPLETE THE TITLE OF THE CHILDREN’S BOOK SHOWN IN PICTURE 3? DRINK SO MUCH
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN DAGENHAM IN 1948, I AM A QUALIFIED ACCOUNTANT WHO HAD MY FIRST BUSINESS SUCCESS BUYING AND SELLING SNOOKER HALLS. I BEGAN PROMOTING SNOOKER IN 1974, BEFORE EXPANDING INTO BOXING IN 1987, DARTS IN 1992 AND FINALLY FOOTBALL IN 1995. BARRY HEARN
19. PIZZA HUT RECENTLY MADEA LONG-DISTANCE PIZZA DELIVERY TO WHICH UNUSUAL LOCATION? THE INTERNATIONAL SPACE STATION
20. TRUE OR FALSE – IN FLORIDA THERE IS A LAW STATING THAT IT IS ILLEGAL TO HAVE SEXUAL RELATIONS WITH A PORCUPINE? TRUE
21. ACCORDING TO “GUINNESS WORLD RECORDSâ€Â￾ THE RECORD FOR THE
MOST JAFFA CAKES EATEN IN ONE MINUTE IS WHAT? 8

Image Image Image

01. NAME THE YEAR. THE USA HAD ITS’ FIRST No1 SINGLE BY A BRITISH BAND, THE MASHED POTATO WAS A POPULAR DANCE CRAZXE AND JON BON JOVI WAS BORN. 1962
02. WHICH WAS THE FIRST PROFESSIONAL ENGLISH FOOTBALL CLUB TO SIGN A SHIRT SPONSORSHIP DEAL? LIVERPOOL
03. IN THE NAMES OF CERTAIN TOWNS AND CITIES WHAT DOES THE PREFIX ‘ABER’ MEAN – AT THE MOUTH OF THE RIVER, BY THE FOREST OR UNDER THE HILL? AT THE MOUTH OF THE RIVER
04. IN A 1987 FILM BY WHAT COLLECTIVE NAME WERE THE CHARACTERS SUKIE RIDGEMONT, ALEXANDRA MEDFORD AND JANE SMART KNOWN? "THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK"
05. WHO WAS THE BRITISH KING AT THE TIME OF THE BATTLES OF WATERLOO AND TRAFALGAR – GEORGE II, GEORGE III OR GEORGE IV? GEORGE III
06. “LITTLE BRITAIN’S “ DAVID WALLIAMS IS TO ATTEMPT ANOTHER LONG DISTANCE SWIM IN AID OF SPORT RELIEF, WHERE WILL HE BE SWIMMING? THE LENGTH OF THE RIVER THAMES
07. WHAT NAME LINKS A 1962 TOP TEN HIT BY BERNARD CRIBBINS AND A POP DUO WHO HAD THEIR BIGGEST HIT IN 1992? RIGHT SAID FRED
08. WHAT THREE LETTERS ARE MISSING FROM THE LOGO IN PICTURE 1? NHL
09. WHERE AM I? THE 5th LARGEST CITY IN MY COUNTRY WITH A POPULATION OF APPROX 672000, IT IS THE LARGEST FINANCIAL CITY IN CONTINENTAL EUROPE AND THE HOME OF THE TWO TALLEST BUILDINGS IN THE EUROPEAN UNION. TWINNED WITH BIRMINGHAM, IT IS THE HOME OF TECHNO MUSIC. FRANKFURT
10. WITH WHICH TV SHOW WOULD YOU ASSOCIATE THE CAR IN PICTURE 2? "THE PROFESSIONALS"
11. WHICH FAMOUS BRITISH CAR MANUFACTURER WAS THE FIRST NON AMERICAN PRODUCER TO SET UP A FACTORY IN THE USA? ROLLS ROYCE
12. NAME THE YEAR. FRED AND ROSEMARY WEST WERE ARRESTED, SILVIO BERLUSCONI BECAME ITALIAN PRIME MINISTER FOR THE FIRST TIME AND “SCHINDLER’S LISTâ€Â￾ WON THE OSCAR FOR BEST PICTURE. 1994
13. IN THE SONG MADE FAMOUS BY FRANK SINATRA WHICH CITY IS REFERRED TO AS “YOU TODDLIN’ TOWNâ€Â￾? CHICAGO
14. AFTER WEMBLEY WHICH SPORTS STADIUM HAS THE LARGEST CAPACITY IN BRITAIN? TWICKENHAM
15. NAME THE CHARACTER IN PICTURE 3 AND THE FAMOUS LONDON BUILDING OUTSIDE WHICH YOU WOULD FIND THIS STATUE? PETER PAN outside GREAT ORMOND STREET HOSPITAL
16. WHAT TYPE OF ANIMALS ARE THE DISNEY CHARACTERS SI AND AM? CATS
17. IN WHICH GAME MIGHT YOU SCORE ‘ONE FOR HIS NOB’? CRIBBAGE/CRIB
18. WHO AM I? BORN SAUL HUDSON IN LONDON IN 1965, I WAS RAISED IN STOKE ON TRENT BEFORE MOVING TO THE STATES IN 1970. I FORMED MY FIRST BAND IN 1981 AND MY MOST FAMOUS BAND IN 1985. WORKING ON MY OWN MUSIC PROJECTS SINCE 1996 I HAVE ALSO APPEARED IN FILMS AND VIDEO GAMES. SLASH
19. THE CAR NAME ‘JAGUAR’ WAS ADOPTED AFTER WORLD WAR II TO REPLACE WHAT INAPPROPRIATE NAME THAT EVERY MODEL HAD PREVIOUSLY HAD? SS
20. CANDLES ARE A GIRL’S BEST FRIEND.
ACCORDING TO A CHEMISTRY PROFESSOR WHO RECKONS THEY PRODUCE WHAT WHEN BURNT? DIAMONDS
21. THE RECORD FOR THE HIGHEST ATTENDANCE AT THE GREAT YORKSHIRE SHOW WAS ACHIEVED IN 2006, WHEN HOW MANY PEOPLE ATTENDED? 135111

Image Image Image
Last edited by IAN B on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.