• Topic Title

• Topic description
Challenge fellow quizzers by posting your favourite questions and quizzes here.

Moderators: playgirl, JUS, rodbox

#160709 by IAN B
Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:06 pm
This proved tough as The Railway winner only got 13/20 - PM your answers.

01. NAME THE YEAR. THE BAND ELBOW WERE FORMED, PAUL McCARTNEY WAS KNIGHTED AND GERI HALLIWELL’S UNION JACK DRESS MADE ITS’ DEBUT AT THE BRIT AWARDS. 1997
02. WHICH COUNTY WERE CRICKET’S FIRST COUNTY CHAMPIONS? SURREY
03. NAME THE COUNTRY HIGHLIGHTED IN PICTURE 1. JORDAN
04. IN THE JAMES BOND FILMS WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE CRIMINAL ORGANISATION LED BY BLOFELD? SPECTRE
05. WHICH CREATURE HAS VARIETIES CALLED LARGE WHITE, SMALL WHITE AND COMMON BLUE? BUTTERFLY
06. WHICH EUROPEAN COUNTRY HAS HELD A TV TALENT SHOW TO CHOOSE ITS’ NEW NATIONAL ANTHEM? SWITZERLAND
07. THE BEATLES WERE RESPONSIBLE FOR FOUR OF THE FIVE TOP SELLING SINGLES OF THE 60s, WHICH SINGER PREVENTED A CLEAN SWEEP? KEN DODD with "TEARS"
08. UNDER HOW MANY BRIDGES DOES THE UNIVERSITY BOAT RACE PASS? 2
09. IN 1911 EARLS COURT WAS THE FIRST STATION ON THE LONDON UNDERGROUND TO INSTALL WHAT? ESCALATORS
10. USED IN PUBLIC SAFETY FILMS NAME THE CARTOON COUPLE IN PICTURE 2. JOE and PETUNIA
11. Question deleted
12. NAME THE YEAR. TUNNELLING COMMENCED FOR THE CHANNEL TUNNEL, FOUNDER OF THE CAR FIRM ENZO FERRARI DIED AND THE SINGER SONNY BONO BECAME MAYOR OF PALM SPRINGS. 1988
13. PICTURE 3 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH BAND AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS? BOB MARLEY & THE WAILERS and "BUFFALO SOLDIERS"
14. WHICH RACECOURSE STAGES THE SCOTTISH GRAND NATIONAL? AYR
15. THE TASMAN SEA SEPARATES THE AUSTRALIAN MAINLAND FROM WHERE? NEW ZEALAND
16. APPEARING IN SEVEN FILMS, WHICH CHARACTER HAS THE FIRST NAME RUBEUS? HAGRID
17. WHAT IS THE CONNECTION BETWEEN GEOFF HURST, ATTILA THE HUN, DESMOND TUTU AND THORA HIRD? SLANG TERMS FOR UNIVERSITY DEGREES
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN HIGHGATE, LONDON IN 1945, A TALENTED FOOTBALLER I HAD SCHOOLBOY TRIALS BEFORE EMBARKING ON VARIOUS JOBS. MY FIRST TASTE OF MUSIC WAS AS A BUSKER BEFORE JOINING THE FIRST OF SEVEN BANDS IN 1963. I HAVE RECORDED 55 ALBUMS AND 145 SINGLES, SIX OF WHICH HAVE TOPPED THE UK CHARTS. ROD STEWART
19. ALBERT EINSTEIN DESCRIBED WHAT AS “THE MOST DIFICULT THING TO UNDERSTAND – CHESS, INCOME TAX OR WOMEN? INCOME TAX
20. IN ANCIENT ROME WHEN TESTIFYING A MAN HAD TO SWEAR ON WHAT? HIS TESTICLES
TIE BREAKER (nearest answer wins)
21. WHAT IS THE HIGHEST SCORE EVER ACHIEVED BY ONE TEAM IN ONE INNINGS OF CRICKET’S COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP? 887 by Yorkshire

Image Image Image

Just the one entry.....
TALLSCOT 13 (tiebreaker 520)
Last edited by IAN B on Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

#160738 by IAN B
Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:00 am
After last week's tricky quiz I decided to take it easy on The Railway regulars, but I didn't expect a winning score of 19/20 - PM your answers.

01. NAME THE YEAR. THE BOOMTOWN RATS WERE FORMED, RITCHIE BLACKMORE LEFT DEEP PURPLE AND PETER GABRIEL LEFT GENESIS. 1975
02. WHAT BIRD LINKS THE FOOTBALL CLUBS BRISTOL CITY, CHELTENHAM TOWN AND SWINDON TOWN? ROBIN
03. THERE ARE SEVEN EUROPEAN COUNTRIES THAT ARE RULED EITHER BY A KING OR QUEEN, APART FROM THE UK, NAME THREE OF THEM. BELGIUM, DENMARK, THE NETHERLANDS, NORWAY, SPAIN, SWEDEN
04. PICTURE 1 GIVES A CRYPTIC CLUE TO THE TITLE OF WHICH TV SHOW? "HAWAII 5-0"
05. WHAT IS THE MINIMUM AGE AT WHICH IT IS LEGAL TO FLY AN AEROPLANE SOLO IN THE UK – 16, 18 OR 21? 16
06. ELTON JOHN WAS RECENTLY THE RECIPIENT OF A PRANK PHONE CALL, THEN A REAL PHONE CALL FROM WHO? VLADIMIR PUTIN
07. WHICH SONG HAS BEEN A UK HIT SINGLE FOR HAROLD MELVIN AND THE BLUENOTES, THELMA HOUSTON AND THE COMMUNARDS? "DON'T LEAVE ME THIS WAY"
08. WHICH OF THESE IS NOT THE NAME OF A PROFESSIONAL SPORTSMAN – DICK SISLER, DICK STROKER OR DICK TRICKLE? DICK STROKER
09. BY SURFACE AREA, WHAT IS THE LARGEST LAKE IN AFRICA? LAKE VICTORIA
10. WHICH FILM STAR MADE THEIR “CARRY ON” DEBUT IN “CARRY ON SPYING” IN 1964 AND THEIR LAST APPEARANCE IN “CARRY ON DICK” IN 1974? BARBARA WINDSOR
11. IS THE FOLLOWING LINE BY WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE OR A RAPPER – “EVERYTHING YOU STAND FOR TURNS ON YOU TO SPITE YOU”? RAPPER - Eminem's "Whem I'm gone"
12. NAME THE YEAR. GENERAL FRANCO RELINQUISHED POWER IN SPAIN, THE ACTOR CHARLIE CHAPLIN WAS KNIGHTED AND MICROSOFT WAS FOUNDED. 1975
13. IN 1995 ERIC CLAPTON RECORDED THE COMIC RELIEF SONG “LOVE CAN BUILD A BRIDGE” WITH THREE FEMALE SINGERS, NAME ONE OF THEM. CHER< CHRISSIE HYNDE and NENEH CHERRY
14. PICTURE 2 SHOWS THE BADGE OF WHICH BRITISH FOOTBALL CLUB? HARTLEPOOL UNITED
15. WHICH BODY OF WATER SEPARATES THE EAST COAST OF INDIA FROM THE WEST COAST OF BURMA? BAY OF BENGAL
16. WHAT THE NAME OF IVOR THE ENGINE’S DRIVER? JONES THE STEAM
17. THE DINGBAT IN PICTURE 3 REPRESENTS WHICH THREE WORD SAYING? AN INSIDE JOB
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN NORFOLK IN 1970, I AM A GEOGRAPHY GRADUATE OF OXFORD UNIVERSITY, WHO MADE MY INTERNATIONAL SPORTING DEBUT IN 1987. THE WINNER OF FOUR OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALS AND 10 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS, I RETIRED IN 2004 TO BECOME A TELEVISION SPORTS AND DOCUMENTARY PRESENTER. MATTHEW PINSENT
19. AN ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT HAS REQUESTED TO BE RETURNED TO IRAN BECAUSE HE FINDS WHAT OR WHERE BORING? MANCHESTER
20. ACCORDING TO GOOGLE, ON AVERAGE THEY ARE ASKED 18000 PER MONTH “WHY DO MEN HAVE .....” WHAT? NIPPLES
21. DURING HER PROFESSIONAL SINGLES CAREER HOW MANY MATCHES DID MARTINA NAVRATILOVA WIN? 1472

Image Image JO AN B

A three way battle this week....
BUZZIE 11 (tiebreaker 1750)
KGLOVATT 13 (1024)
TALLSCOT 14 (600)

#160787 by IAN B
Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:12 am
Didn't think was an easy quiz, but The Railway winner got 20/20 - PM your answers.

01. NAME THE YEAR. MONACO WON THE EUROVISION SONG CONTEST FOR THE FIRST AND ONLY TIME, THE JAZZ MUSICIAN LOUIS ARMSTRONG DIED AND ROD STEWART HAD HIS FIRST UK No1 SINGLE. 1971
02. WHICH COUNTRY WON RUGBY UNION’S LAST FIVE NATIONS CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE IT WAS EXPANDED TO BECOME THE SIX NATIONS CHAMPIONSHIP? SCOTLAND
03. WHICH IS THE MOST NORTHERLY OF THE CHANNEL ISLANDS? ALDERNEY
04. WHAT WAS THE FIRST NAME OF THE TV DETECTIVE TAGGART? JIM
05. NAME THE FAMOUS PERSON SHOWN IN PICTURE 1. AGATHA CHRISTIE
06. FOLLOWING SEPP BLATTER’S SUSPENSION, WHAT NATIONALITY IS THE INTERIM PRESIDENT OF FIFA? CAMEROONIAN
07. WHAT WERE THE FOUR HERBS MENTIONED IN THE LYRICS OF THE SONG “SCARBOROUGH FAIR”? PARSLEY, SAGE, ROSEMARY AND THYME
08. SPORT ENGLAND HAVE RECENTLY REFUSED TO PROVIDE FUNDING FOR WHAT, CLAIMING THAT IT IS NOT A SPORT? BRIDGE
09. WHICH COUNTRY IS THE SOVEREIGN STATE OF THE FAROE ISLANDS? DENMARK
10. PICTURE 2 SHOWS THE CAST OF WHICH TELEVISION SOAP OPERA? "ALBION MARKET"
11. ‘ONE COOL DANCE MUSICIAN’ IS AN ANAGRAM OF THE FULL NAME OF WHICH FAMOUS PERSON? MADONNA LOUISE CICCIONE
12. NAME THE YEAR. NAMIBIA GAINED ITS’ INDEPENDENCE FROM SOUTH AFRICA, “HAVE I GOT NEWS FOR YOU” MADE ITS’ TV DEBUT AND SAN MARINO PLAYED THEIR FIRST OFFICIAL FOOTBALL INTERNATIONAL. 1990
13. PICTURE 3 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH BAND AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS? BOOMTOWN RATS and "RAT TRAP"
14. WHICH CITY IS HOME TO THE FOOTBALL CLUB PARTICK THISTLE? GLASGOW
15. APART FROM THE OTHER THREE COUNTIES OF YORKSHIRE, NORTH YORKSHIRE BORDERS THREE COUNTIES, NAME TWO OF THEM. CUMBRIA, COUNTY DURHAM and LANCASHIRE
16. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE DANCING CONSTRUCTION WORKER IN THE TV ADVERTS FOR MONEY SUPERMAERKET? COLIN
17. SPENCER PERCIVAL IS THE ONLY BRITISH PRIME MINISTER TO BE – CATHOLIC, ILLEGITIMATE, ASSASSINATED OR UNMARRIED? ASSASSINATED
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN SUNDERLAND IN 1916, I MOVED TO SCOTLAND AT AN EARLY AGE, WHERE I GRADUATED FROM COLLEGE IN 1969. MOVING TO NORTH YORKSHIRE, I SERVED BRIEFLY IN THE RAF DURING WWII. I BEGAN WRITING AND ADOPTED MY PEN NAME IN 1966, BUT IT WAS FOUR YEARS BEFORE THE FIRST OF MY SEMI-AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL BOOKS WAS PUBLISHED AND THEN LATER TURNED INTO A TV SERIES. I DIED IN 1995. ALF WIGHT aka JAMES HERRIOTT
19. THE HARVARD UNIVERSITY DEBATING TEAM RECENTLY LOST TO A TEAM FROM WHERE? A PRISON
20. TO MAKE DARTMOOR PONIES MORE VISIBLE TO MOTORISTS DURING THE WINTER MONTHS PARK RANGERS ARE DOING WHAT TO THEM? PAINTING THEM WITH REFLECTIVE PAINT
21. IN WHAT YEAR WAS CONTROL OF THE ORKNEY ISLANDS TRANSFERRED FROM NORWAY TO SCOTLAND? 1472

Image Image Image

Just the one entry this week.....
BUZZIE 12 (tiebreaker 1842)

#160824 by IAN B
Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:56 am
A slightly tougher quiz this week, which saw The Railway's winner get 16/20 - PM your answers.

01. NAME THE YEAR. FRANKIE LAINE RECORDED “MULE TRAIN”, BILL HALEY FORMED HIS FIRST BAND AND TWO OF THE BEE GEES’ GIBB BROTHERS WERE BORN. 1949
02. AT THE 1908 LONDON OLYMPICS THE MARATHON STARTED OUTSIDE WHICH FAMOUS LANDMARK? WINDSOR CASTLE
03. AFTER THE USA WHICH COUNTRY IN NORTH AMERICA HAS THE LARGEST POPULATION? MEXICO
04. WHICH TELEVISION COUPLE HAD THE SURNAME MEDFORD? TERRY & JUNE
05. THE FIRST WOMAN TO WIN A NOBEL PRIZE WON IT IN WHICH CATEGORY? PHYSICS
06. THE ODDS OF WHAT HAVE RECENTLY BEEN CHANGED FROM APPROXIMATELY 1 IN 14 MILLION TO 1 IN 45 MILLION? WINNING THE NATIONAL LOTTERY JACKPOT
07. IN THE SONG “IF YOU GO DOWN IN THE WOODS TODAY” AT WHAT TIME DID THE TEDDY BEAR’S PICNIC FINISH? 6 O'CLOCK
08. NAME THE PERSON SHOWN IN PICTURE 1. IAN BOTHAM
09. ADD TOGETHER THE NUMBER OF COUNTRIES WITH WHICH PORTUGAL SHARES A LAND BORDER AND THE NUMBER OF STARS ON THE NEW ZEALAND FLAG AND WHAT NUMBER SHOULD YOU HAVE? 5 (1+4)
10. WHICH FILM CHARACTER HAS BEEN PLAYED BY BARBARA BOUCHET, PAMELA SALEM, CAROLINE BUSS AND NAOMIE HARRIES? MISS MONEYPENNY
11. TEN CHILDREN START THEIR FIRST YEAR IN A NEW CLASS AT SCHOOL. TO HELP THEM TO MAKE FRIENDS THE TEACHER ENCOURAGES EACH CHILD TO SHAKE HANDS ONCE WITH EVERY OTHER CHILD. HOW MANY HANDSHAKES ARE THERE IN TOTAL? 45
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE USA SEVERED DIPLOMATIC RELATIONS WITH CUBA, CYPRUS JOINED THE COMMONWEALTH OF NATIONS AND THE GOLFER JACK NICKLAUS TURNED PROFESSIONAL. 1961
13. PICTURE 2 GIVES A CRYPTIC CLUE TO THE NAME OF WHICH SINGER AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS? LULU and "SHOUT"
14. THE ARENA THAT HOSTS TENNIS’ AUSTRALIAN OPEN IS NAMED AFTER WHICH FAMOUS TENNIS PLAYER? ROD LAVER
15. THE DUAL CARRIAGE WAY LINKING PENTAGON ISLAND IN DERBY WITH NOTTINGHAM’S QUEEN’S MEDICAL CENTRE IS NAMED AFTER WHOM? BRIAN CLOUGH
16. IN THE SECOND AND FOURTH SERIES OF THE TV COMEDY “BLACKADDER” WHAT WAS THE SURNAME OF STEPHEN FRY’S CHARACTER? MELCHETT
17. WHAT DOES THE DITLOID IN PICTURE 3 REPRESENT? (Clue: Science and nature) 2 HUMPS ON A BACTRIAN CAMEL
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN WANDSWORTH IN 1960, I AM AN OXFORD GRADUATE WHO FIRST WORKED IN PUBLISHING. I BEGAN WRITING FOR “THE SPECTATOR” IN 1983, BECOMING THEIR RESTAURANT CRITIC IN 1985. I PUBLISHED MY FIRST COOKBOOK IN 1998, PRESENTING MY FIRST TV SHOW A YEAR LATER. NIGELLA LAWSON
19. FOUR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS WHO STOWED AWAY ON A LORRY BOUND FOR YORKSHIRE WERE SHOCKED TO FIND THEY WERE SHARING IT WITH WHAT? A POLAR BEAR
20. IN 2004 THE ROYAL NAVY ADDED WHAT TO ITS’ LIST OF ACCEPTED RELIGIOUS BELIEFS – ATHEISM, RASTAFARIANISM OR SATANISM? SATANISM
21. THE OLDEST SURVIVING HARPSICHORD HAS BEEN DATED BACK TO WHICH YEAR? 1521

Image Image
2 H ON A B C

Three entrants this time round.....
KGLOVATT 10 (1690)
TALLSCOT 11 (tiebreaker 1580)
BUZZIE 13 (1503)
Last edited by IAN B on Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#160891 by IAN B
Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:30 pm
Been a little busy lately, not least because of a two week NFL-influenced London sojourn, but The Railway quiz never stops so I'll post the last three weeks quizzes complete with answers. Normal service will resume next week.

01. NAME THE YEAR.THE BEACH BOYS RELEASED THEIR DEBUT SINGLE, MOTOWN RECORDS SIGNED THE SUPREMES AND LUCIANO PAVAROTTI GAVE HIS FIRST PROFESSIONAL OPERATIC PERFORMANCE.
02. WHICH FOOTBALL CLUB WAS THE FIRST TO WIN THE FA CUP FINAL OUTSIDE OF ENGLAND?
LIVERPOOL
03. WITH WHICH COUNTRY DOES FRANCE SHARE ITS’ LONGEST LAND BORDER?
SPAIN
04. THE FICTIONAL ISLAND OF ISLA NUBLAR FEATURES IN WHICH SERIES OF FILMS?
“JURASSIC PARK”
05. WHICH INVENTOR APPEARS ON THE AMERICAN $100 BILL – THOMAS EDISON, BENJAMIN FRANKLIN OR HENRY FORD?
BENJAMIN FRANKLIN
06. WHICH 80s CHART-TOPPER HAS BEEN NAMED AS A NEW JUDGE ON BBC’S “THE VOICE”, REPLACING SIR TOM JONES?
BOY GEORGE
07. WHICH OF THE SPICE GIRLS WAS THE FIRST TO HAVE A SOLO UK No1 SINGLE?
MEL B
08. WHICH WAS THE FIRST COUNTRY TO HOST THE SUMMER OLYMPIC GAMES TWICE?
FRANCE
09. FRANKFORT IS THE STATE CAPITAL OF WHICH US STATE?
KENTUCKY
10. NAME THE TELEVISION PROGRAMME SHOWN IN PICTURE 1.
“THE CUBE”
11. ‘EACH TIMELY FALL’ IS A UNFORTUNATE ANAGRAM OF THE NAME OF WHICH FAMOUS PERSON?
MICHAEL FLATLEY
12. NAME THE YEAR. NEW ZEALAND OPENED ITS’ FIRST TELEVISION STATION, THE HIGHEST EVER NUMBER OF GOALS IN THE EUROPEAN CUP FINAL WERE SCORED AND THE SCTOR CLARK GABLE DIED.
13. PICTURE 2 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH BAND AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS?
THE BANGLES and “WALK LIKE AN EGYPTIAN”

14. WHAT COLOUR TEST CAPS DO THE INDIAN CRICKET TEAM WEAR?
BLUE
15. GEOGRAPHICALLY WHAT DO THE INITIALS ‘UAE’ STAND FOR?
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
16. EDD KIMBER, FRANCES QUINN AND NANCY BIRTWHISTLE HAVE ALL BEEN WINNERS ON WHICH TELEVISION SHOW?
“THE GREAT BRITISH BAKE OFF”
17. WHAT FIVE WORD PHRASE DOES THE DINGBAT IN PICTURE 3 REPRESENT?
TWO PEAS IN A POD
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN BELFAST IN 1960, MY FAMILY MOVED TO ENGLAND IN 1969. RADA TRAINED, I MADE MY DEBUT WITH THE ROYAL SHAKESPEARE COMPANY IN 1984 AND MY CREDITED FILM DEBUT IN 1987. PART OF A SIX YEAR CELEBRITY MARRIAGE, I HAVE RECEIVED FIVE OSCAR NOMINATIONS AND WAS KNIGHTED IN 2012.
KENNETH BRANAGH
19. LT COL “MAD” JACK CHURCHILL IS THE ONLY SOLDIER IN WWII TO HAVE A REPORTED KILL USING WHAT WEAPON?
A LONGBOW
20. IN 1923 JOCKEY FRANK HAYES WON A RACE AT BELMONT PARK WHILST HE WAS WHAT?
DEAD
21. IN TOTAL LONDON’S REGENTS PARK COVERS HOW MANY ACRES?
410 ACRES

Image Image
P P O P D

Halloween themed
01. IN 1981 WHICH GROUP TOPPED THE UK SINGLES CHART WITH “GHOST TOWN”?
THE SPECIALS
02. WHAT IS THE TEAM NAME OF IPSWICH SPEEDWAY TEAM?
THE WITCHES
03. FAMOUS FOR ITS’ WHICH TRIALS, IN WHICH US STATE IS THE TOWN OF SALEM?
MASSACHUSETTS

04. ON TELEVISION WHO, ANNUALLY, HAS A TREEHOUSE OF HORROR?
THE SIMPSONS
05. WHAT NATIONALITY WAS THE PAINTER OF “THE SCREAM”, SHOWN IN PICTURE 1?
NORWEGIAN
06. WHAT MALEVOLENT SPIRIT TAKES ITS’ NAMES FROM THE GERMAN MEANING ‘NOISY GHOST’?
POLTERGEIST
07. WHICH ACTOR PROVIDED THE MONOLOGUE FOR MICHAEL JACKSON’S HIT “THRILLER”?
VINCENT PRICE
08. PICTURE 2 SHOWS THE BADGE OF WHICH SPORTS TEAM?
NEW JERSEY DEVILS
09. IN WHICH COUNTRY IS THE REGION OF TRANSYLVANIA?
ROMANIA
10. WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE KILLER IN THE “HALLOWEEN” SERIES OF FILMS?
MICHAEL MYERS
11. WHAT IS THE NAME FOR A GROUP OF WITCHES?
COVEN
12. BARMBRACK IS A TYPE OF BREAD TRADITIONALLY EATEN ON HALLOWEEN IN WHICH COUNTRY?
IRELAND
13. PICTURE 3 GIVES A CRYPTIC CLUE TO THE NAME OF WHICH GROUP AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS?
BORIS PICKETT & THE CRYPTKICKERS and “MONSTER MASH”
14. THE AMERICAN FOOTBALLER RED GRANGE WAS NICKNAMED “THE GALLOPING .....” WHAT?
GHOST
15. CASTLETON’S PEAK CAVERN HAS A LOCAL NICKNAME, WHAT IS IT?
THE DEVIL’S ARSE
16. IN THE 60s TV SERIES AND THE 2005 FILM “BEWITCHED” WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE LEAD CHARACTER?
SAMANTHA
17. WHAT IS REPUTEDLY THE ONLY THING THAT WILL KILL A WEREWOLF?
A SILVER BULLET
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN DUBLIN IN 1847, I WAS A MATHS GRADUATE WHO BEGAN WORKING AS A THEATRE CRITIC AND LATER A THETRA MANAGER. I WROTE MY FIRST NOVEL IN 1875, BUT IT WAS A 1890 TRIP THAT INSPIRED MY MOST FAMOUS BOOK. I DIED IN LONDON IN 1912.
BRAM STOKER
19. DAMIEN HIRST’S ARTWORK “FOR THE LOVE OF GOD” IS A DIAMOND ENCRUSTED WHAT?
SKULL
20. WHAT IS A DEVIL’S HELMET?
A POISONOUS PLANT
21. IN ITS’ OPENING WEEKEND IN THE USA HOW MUCH, IN DOLLARS, DID THE 2007 VERSION OF “HALLOWEEN” TAKE AT THE BOX OFFICE?
$30 591 759

Image Image Image

01. NAME THE YEAR. LED ZEPPELIN GAVE THEIR FIRST LIVE PERFORMANCE OF “STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN”, THE ROLLING STONES FIRST USED THEIR TONGUE LOGO AND CAROLE KING PERFORMED HER FIRST LIVE CONCERT.
02. IN 1988 WHO BROKE MARTINA NAVRATILOVA’S RUN OF SIX SUCCESSIVE WIMBLEDON LADIES SINGLES TITLES?
STEFFI GRAF
03. THE ISLAND OF BORNEO IS SEPARATED INTO REGIONS CONTROLLED BY THREE DIFFERENT COUNTRIES, NAME ONE OF THEM.
BRUNEI, INDONESIA and MALAYSIA
04. PICTURE 1 SHOWS FOUR CAST MEMBERS FROM WHICH TELEVISION SHOW?
“BAYWATCH”
05. CAMBRIA, PALATINO AND VERDANA ARE ALL TYPES OF WHAT?
FONTS
06. WHAT HAS RECENTLY BEEN DESCRIBED AS SEXIST AS IT CONTAINS SEVEN MEN, BUT ONLY TWO WOMEN?
THE NEW DESIGN OF THE UK PASSPORT
07. WHO IS TO RECORD THE 2015 CHILDREN IN NEED SINGLE?
JESS GLYNNE
08. WHICH IS THE ONLY ENGLISH FOOTBALL LEAGUE TEAM WHOSE HOME STADIUM IS IN CHESHIRE?
CREWE ALEXANDRA
09. PICTURE 2 SHOWS A STATUE OF A FAMOUS PERSON, WHO IS IT AND WHERE IS IT?
BRUCE LEE in HONG KONG
10. IN “THE GODFATHER” TRILOGY OF FILMS WHICH TWO ACTORS HAVE PLAYED THE CHARACTER VITO CORLEONE?
MARLON BRANDO and ROBERT DE NIRO
11. FOUR CHILDREN ARE TRAVELLING ON A SCHOOL BUS BEING DRIVEN THROUGH TOWN. EACH CHILD HAS A RUCKSACK AND IN EACH RUCKSACK IS A DOG AND ITS’ THREE PUPPIES. EACH DOG HAS FOUR LEGS AND EACH LEG HAS FOUR TOES. IN TOTAL HOW MANY TOES ARE THERE IN THE BUS?
12. NAME THE YEAR. BUILDING WORK BEGAN ON THE SHARD IN LONDON, THE LAST UEFA CUP FINAL WAS PLAYED AND THE “CHARLIE’S ANGELS” ACTRESS FARRAH FAWCETT DIED.
13. PICTURE 3 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH ACT AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS?
ADAMSKI and “KILLER”
14. IN RUGBY SEVENS HOW MANY PLAYERS ARE THERE IN A SCRUM?
SIX
15. IN 1973 THE COUNTRY OF BRITISH HONDURAS CHANGED ITS’ NAME TO WHAT?
BELIZE
16. THE “NCIS” SERIES OF TELEVISION SHOWS ARE SET IN THREE AMERICAN CITIES, NAME ANY TWO OF THE CITIES.
LOS ANGELES, NEW ORLEANS and WASHINGTON DC
17. IF CATTLE ARE BOVINE, WHAT ARE SHEEP?
OVINE
18. WHO AM I? I WAS BORN IN WATFORD IN 1922 TO ANGLO-PERUVIAN PARENTS. INITIALLY REJECTED BY THE RAF, I BEGAN MY ACTING CAREER IN 1940. AFTER THE WAR I TURNED TO COMEDY, CO-FOUNDING A POPULAR SHOW IN 1951 A PROLIFIC SCRIPTWRITER, MY TELEVISION DEBUT CAME VIA A CHILDREN’S SHOW. AWARDED THE CBE IN 1995, I DIED IN 1996.
MICHAEL BENTINE
19. WHAT DID FREDRIC BAUR, THE DESIGNER OF THE PRINGLES CAN HAVE PLACED IN ONE OF HIS CANS?
HIS ASHES
20. NEW YORK PSYCHIC KAT THEK CLAIMS TO BE ABLE TO TELL PEOPLES’ FORTUNES USING USED WHAT?
WAXING STRIPS
21. IN TOTAL HOW MANY POINTS WERE SCORED DURING THE 2015 RUGBY WORLD CUP TOURNAMENT?

ImageImageImageImage
Image Image

#160894 by IAN B
Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:23 am
The Railway's winners scored 16/20 - PM your answers.

01. NAME THE YEAR. THE UK HAD ITS’ FIRST MILLION SELLING CHART SINGLE, PAUL SIMON AND ART GARFUNKEL SIGNED THEIR FIRST RECORD DEAL AND ELVIS PRESLEY BOUGHT GRACELAND. 1955
02. WHICH NORTH AMERICAN CITY HAS SPORTS TEAMS CALLED THE RAPTORS, BLUE JAYS AND MAPLE LEAFS? TORONTO
03. APART FROM GERMANY THE RIVER RHINE PASSES THROUGH TWO OTHER EUROPEAN COUNTRIES, NAME ONE OF THEM. NETHERLANDS and SWITZERLAND
04. IN TERMS OF THE NUMBER OF FILMS MADE WHICH COUNTRY HAS THE WORLD'S BIGGEST FILM INDUSTRY? INDIA
05. NAME THE FAMOUS PERSON SHOWN IN THEIR YOUNGER DAYS IN PICTURE 1. BARACK OBAMA
06. THE METREOLOGICAL OFFICE HAVE BEGUN NAMING STORMS, WHAT NAME DID THEY GIVE TO THE FIRST ONE? ABIGAIL
07. WHICH DAY OF THE WEEK HAS FEATURED IN TOP TEN HITS FOR THE SMALL FACES, BLONDIE AND MORRISSEY? SUNDAY
08. WHO ARE THE ONLY PARENT AND CHILD TO HAVE BOTH BEEN VOTED THE BBC SPORTS PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR? PRINCESS ANNE and ZARA PHILLIPS
09. WHAT IS THE MOST NORTHERLY CITY IN ENGLAND? CARLISLE
10. WHAT DOES THE ‘L’ STAND FOR IN THE NAME OF THE ACTOR SAMUEL L JACKSON? LEROY
11. IF YOU ADDED TOGETHER THE NUMBER OF MONARCHS FROM THE HOUSE OF WINDSOR, THE NUMBER OF DIFFERENT PEOPLE WHO HAVE LABOUR PRIME MINISTER OF THE UK AND THE NUMBER OF FOUNDER MEMBERS OF THE EEC WHAT NUMBER SHOULD YOU HAVE? 17 (4+7+6)
12. NAME THE YEAR. BRITISH AIRWAYS WAS PRIVATISED, MATHIAS RUST LANDED A PLANE IN MOSCOW’S RED SQUARE AND “THE SIMPSONS” MADE THEIR TELEVISION DEBUT. 1987
13. PICTURE 2 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH GROUP AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS? THE CARPENTERS and "TOP OF THE WORLD"
14. WHICH WAS THE FIRST COUNTRY TO HOST THE WINTER OLYMPIC GAMES TWICE? SWITZERLAND
15. ASTANA IS THE CAPITAL CITY OF WHICH CENTRAL ASIAN COUNTRY? KAZAKHSTAN
16. ON WHICH DAY OF THE WEEK IS THE OMNIBUS EDITION OF “THE ARCHERS” BROADCAST? SUNDAY
17. WHAT DOES THE DITLOID IN PICTURE 3 REPRESENT? 8 KINGS OF ENGLAND CALLED HENRY
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN THE WIRRAL IN 1939, AFTER MY NATIONAL SERVICE I MOVED TO THE USA WHERE I FIRST WORKED IN RADIO. RETURNING THE UK IN 1967, I WORKED ON PIRATE RADIO BEFORE MY FIRST CONTRACT WITH THE BBC. THE FOUNDER OF MY OWN RECORD LABEL, I WAS AWARDED THE OBE IN 1998, SIX YEARS BEFORE MY DEATH. JOHN PEEL
19. WHAT IS UNUSUAL ABOUT HATSUNE MIKU, ONE OF JAPAN'S LEADING POP STARS, ANNOUNCING A TOUR OF NORTH AMERICA? SHE'S VIRTUAL REALITY
20. IN 2007 WHAT DID AMERICAN COREY TAYLOR DO IN AN ATTEMPT TO ESCAPE HIS MOBILE PHONE CONTRACT? FAKED HIS OWN DEATH
21. TO DATE HOW MANY VICTORIA CROSSES HAVE BEEN AWARDED? 1358

Image Image
8 K OF E C H

Two horse race this week with a clear winner.....
BUZZIE 12 (tiebreaker 138)
TALLSCOT 15 (1200)
Last edited by IAN B on Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#160936 by IAN B
Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:39 am
Another offering from The Railway, another winning score of 16/20 in The Railway - PM your answers.

01. NAME THE YEAR. MOTOWN RECORDS HAD THEIR FIRST MILLION SELLING SINGLE IN THE UK CHARTS, RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS RELEASED THEIR DEBUT ALBUM AND GLORIA ESTEFAN HAD HER FIRST UK TOP TEN SINGLE. 1984
02. GREAT BRITAIN ARE SOON TO PLAY IN THEIR FIRST DAVIS CUP FINAL SINCE 1978, BUT WHO BEAT THEM IN THAT FINAL? THE USA
03. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE VALLEY THAT HOUSES THE TOMBS OF MANY PHAROAHS INCLUDING TUTANKHAMUN? VALLEY OF THE KINGS
04. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE SEAGULL IN THE HASTINGS DIRECT TELEVISION ADVERT? STEVEN
05. A TWEET MAY CONTAIN A MAXIMUM OF HOW MANY CHARACTERS? 140
06. AFTER ABIGAIL WHAT WAS THE SECOND NAME GIVEN BY THE METREOLOGICAL OFFICE TO A UK STORM? BARNEY
07. WHO HAS DUETTED WITH KYLIE MINOGUE ON HER CHRISTMAS SINGLE, A COVER OF YAZOO’S “ONLY YOU”? JAMES CORDEN
08. THREE PEOPLE HAVE BEEN VOTED BBC SPORTS PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR TWICE, NAME ONE OF THEM. HENRY COOPER, NIGEL MANSELL and DAMON HILL
09. PICTURE 1 GIVES A CRYPTIC CLUE TO A JOURNEY BETWEEN WHICH TWO LONDON UNDERGROUND STATIONS? GREENFORD and MARBLE ARCH
10. ON THE TV QUIZ “WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?” WHAT WERE THE THREE ORIGINAL HELPS A CONTESTANT COULD USE? ASK THE AUDIENCE, 50/50 and PHONE A FRIEND
11. ‘THAT GREAT CHARMER’ IS AN ANAGRAM OF THE NAME OF WHICH FAMOUS PERSON? MARGARET THATCHER
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE FIRST COMPULSORY DRIVING TEST WAS TAKEN IN THE UK, THE FIRST GAME OF “MONOPOLY” WAS SOLD IN THE USA AND PORKY PIG MADE HIS CARTOON DEBUT. 1935
13. PICTURE 2 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH BAND AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS? FLEETWOOD MAC and "albatross"
14. WHEN ATHLETES ZOLA BUDD AND MARY DECKER FAMOUSLY CLASHED AT THE 1984 OLYMPICS, IN WHAT EVENT WERE THEY COMPETING? 3000 METRES
15. IN WHICH MODERN COUNTY IS THE SITE OF THE BATTLE OF HASTINGS? EAST SUSSEX
16. PICTURE 3 SHOWS THE TITLES OF WHICH TELEVISION PROGRAMME? "HELL'S KITCHEN"
17. IN 1995 WHAT TYPE OF SHOPS WERE ALLOWED TO HAVE SEE THROUGH WINDOWS FOR THE FIRST TIME? BETTING SHOPS
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN NEW YORK CITY IN 1946, I BEGAN WORKING FOR MY FATHER’S REAL ESTATE COMPANY IN 1968, TAKING CONTROL IN 1971. OVERCOMING BANKRUPTCY, I BUILT A PROPERTY EMPIRE INVESTED IN SPORTS TEAMS, OWNED A BEAUTY PAGEANT AND HOSTED A TELEVISION SHOW BEFORE BECOMING INVOLVED IN POLITICS. DONALD TRUMP
19. WHAT WAS UNUSUAL ABOUT THE CAR A CALIFORNIAN TRAFFIC COP STOPPED FOR TRAVELLING TOO SLOWLY? IT HAD NO DRIVER
20. FOO FIGHTERS FRONTMAN AND FORMER NIRVANA DRUMMER DAVE GROHL IS TO TAKE PART IN A ‘DRUM OFF’ AGAINST WHO? ANIMAL from The Muppets
21. IN TOTAL HOW MANY POINTS HAVE THE ALL BLACKS SCORED IN RUGBY UNION WORLD CUP COMPETITIONS? 2302

Image Image Image

Another Buzzie vs Tallscot contest....
TALLSCOT 12 (tiebreaker 1800)
BUZZIE 14 (1001)
Last edited by IAN B on Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#160979 by IAN B
Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:33 am
Well this proved tougher than normal with The Railway winner only scoring 13/20 - PM your answers.

01. NAME THE YEAR. KYLIE MINOGUE SPLIT FROM THE PWL RECORD LABEL, PRIMAL SCREAM WON THE FIRST MERCURY MUSIC PRIZE AND BILL WYMAN LEFT THE ROLLING STONES. 1992
02. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING IS THE HIGHEST – A BASKETBALL HOOP, A RUGBY UNION CROSSBAR OR A FOOTBALL CROSSBAR? A BASKETBALL HOOP at 10 feet
03. WHICH ICONIC SAN FRANCISCO FEATURE WAS DESIGNED BY ANDREW HALLIDIE – ALCATRAZ PRISON, THE GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE OR THE CABLE CARS? THE CABLE CARS
04. PICTURE 1 SHOWS THE TITLES OF WHICH TELEVISION SHOW? "HAVE I GOT NEWS FOR YOU"
05. BY WHAT NAME IS THE CLAVICLE BETTER KNOWN? COLLAR BONE
06. WHAT DID BENJAMIN CLEMENTINE WIN THIS WEEK? THE MERCURY MUSIC PRIZE
07. WHAT DISTINCTIVE MUSICAL INSTRUMENT WAS PATENTED IN 1883, GIVEN ITS’ CURRENT DESIGN IN 1902 AND WENT INTO MASS PRODUCTION IN 1916? KAZOO
08. FIVE UK CITIES HAVE HOSTED THE COMMONWEALTH GAMES, NAME ANY THREE OF THEM. CARDIFF, EDINBURGH, GLASGOW, LONDON and MANCHESTER
09. NAME THE PLACE SHOWN IN PICTURE 2. GIBRALTAR
10. SIX FILM STARS HAVE WON THREE OR MORE OSCARS FOR ACTING ROLES, NAME ANY TWO OF THEM. INGRID BERGMAN, WALTER BRENNAN, DANIEL DAY-LEWIS, KATHERINE HEPBURN, JACK NICHOLSON and MERYL STREEP
11. IS THE FOLLOWING BY A RAP ARTIST OR WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE?
“BOW IN THE PRESENCE OF GREATNESS, ‘CAUSE RIGHT NOW THOU HAST FORSAKEN US” RAPPER - "Stronger" by Kanye West
12. NAME THE YEAR. KAWASAKI PRODUCED THE FIRST JETSKI, THE MIAMI DOLPHINS RECORDED THE NFL’S ONLY PERFECT SEASON AND THE PILOT EPISODE OF “OPEN ALL HOURS” WAS FIRST SCREENED. 1973
13. WHO WAS THE FIRST BRITISH FEMALE SINGER TO WIN A GRAMMY? PETULA CLARK
14. PICTURE 3 SHOWS THE LOGO OF WHICH SPORTING EVENT? FRENCH OPEN TENNIS
15. WHICH BODY OF WATER SEPARATES THE ISLE OF WIGHT FROM THE ENGLISH MAINLAND? THE SOLENT
16. IN THE “NODDY” STORIES WHO IS TOYLAND’S POLICEMAN? PC PLOD
17. THE EASTERN EUROPEAN SPIRIT SLIVOVITZ IS MADE FROM WHICH FRUIT? DAMSON PLUMS
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN ANKARA IN 1952, I WAS EDUCATED IN LONDON BEFORE JOINING MY FIRST BAND IN WALES IN 1973. I ADOPTED MY STAGE NAME IN 1975, A YEAR BEFORE JOINING MY MOST SUCCESSFUL BAND. I MADE MY FILM DEBUT IN 1987. IN 2003, A YEAR AFTER MY DEATH, I WAS ENSHRINED IN THE ROCK ‘N’ ROLL HALL OF FAME. JOE STRUMMER
19. THE DEVON TOWN OF TIVERTON’S CHRISTMAS LIGHTS HAVE BEEN CRITICISED FOR RESEMBLING WHAT? UNDERPANTS
20. IN 1973 TV HOST JOHNNY CARSON CAUSED A THREE WEEK PANIC AFTER ANNOUNCING A SHORTAGE OF WHAT? TOILET PAPER
21. HOW MANY EPISODES OF THE SPORTS PROGRAMME “WORLD OF SPORT” WERE BROADCAST? 1050

Image Image Image

Another two horse race.....
TALLSCOT 11 (tiebreaker 1000)
BUZZIE 12 (873)

#161033 by IAN B
Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:35 am
Top score of 16/20 in The Railway - PM your answers.

01. NAME THE YEAR. STATUS QUO HAD THEIR FIRST UK TOP TEN SINGLE, THE BEATLES BEGAN TO RECORD THEIR “WHITE ALBUM” AND THE YARDBIRDS DISBANDED. 1968
02. IN LA LIGA’S BARCELONA DERBY FC BARCELONA PLAY WHICH OTHER TEAM? ESPANYOL
03. SINCE JANUARY 2015 WHICH COMPANY HAVE BEEN THE SPONSORS OF THE LONDON EYE? COCA COLA
04. IN “THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS” HANNIBAL LECTAR ATE ONE VICTIM’S LIVER WITH SOME FAVA BEANS AND WHAT DRINK? A NICE CHIANTI
05. WHICH POPULAR FOOD TAKES ITS’ NAME FOR THE TAMIL WORD FOR ‘SAUCE’? CURRY
06. WHAT WAS WON THIS WEEK BY TEN FORMERLY DERELICT HOUSES IN THE TOXTETH DISTRICT OF LIVERPOOL? THE TURNER PRIZE
07. NAME THE MUSICIAN SHOWN IN PICTURE 1. BB KING
08. WHAT NATIONALITY WAS JUAN FANGIO, THE FIRST MAN TO WIN FIVE FORMULA 1 MOTOR RACING WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS? ARGENTINIAN
09. WITH WHICH COUNTRY DOES SWEDEN SHARE ITS’ LONGEST LAND BORDER? NORWAY
10. PICTURE 2 SHOWS A SCENE FROM WHICH FILM? "GOOD WILL HUNTING"
11. ‘MY CARS LONE JERK’ IS AN ANAGRAM OF THE NAME OF WHICH CELEBRITY? JEREMY CLARKSON
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE FIRST ELECTRIC RAZOR WAS PATENTED, BLACKBURN ROVERS WON THEIR 6th AND LAST FA CUP AND THE MGM LION FIRST ROARED. 1928
13. TWINS EDELE AND KEAVY FROM THE POP GROUP B*WITCHED ARE THE SISTERS OF A MEMBER OF WHICH OTHER CHART-TOPPING GROUP? BOYZONE
14. NAME THE SPORTS STADIUM SHOWN IN PICTURE 3. OLD TRAFFORD
15. WHICH BUILDING CURRENTLY STANDS ON THE SITE OF LONDON’S NEWGATE GAOL? THE OLD BAILEY
16. “THE DOG IN THE POND” IS THE LOCAL PUB IN WHICH TELEVISION SOAP? "HOLLYOAKS"
17. THE NEW YORK PIZZA CONNECTION IS A THEORY THAT THE PRICE OF A SLICE OF PIZZA MATCHES THE PRICE OF WHAT – A BOTTLE OF COKE, A SUBWAY RIDE OR AN OUNCE OF WEED? A SUBWAY RIDE
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN NEW YORK CITY IN1941, I BECAME PART OF A MUSICAL DUO IN 1957, HAVING MY FIRST No1 SINGLE IN 1965, BEFORE SPLITTING UP IN 1970, THE SAME YEAR I MADE MY FILM DEBUT. A POPULAR PERFORMANCE POET, I HAVE WON TEN GRAMMYS. ART GARFUNKEL
19. A QUEENSLAND WOMAN WAS BITTEN BY A SNAKE AFTER MISTAKING IT FOR WHAT? A GARDEN HOSE
20. RICHARD DORLAN CLAIMS TO SET A SPEED RECORD BY REACHING 49MPH WITH A WIND POWERED – BATH, BIDET OR TOILET? BATH
21. WHAT IS THE TOP SPEED OF THE BUGATTI VEYRON, THE FASTEST AVAILABLE ROAD LEGAL CAR? 267.857MPH

Image Image Image

The return of Jus made it a three-way contest.....
JUS 6 (tiebreaker 250)
TALLSCOT 10 (225)
BUZZIE 14 (258)
Last edited by IAN B on Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#161063 by IAN B
Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:47 am
My annual Christmas offering this week, The Railway winner managed an impressive 19/20 - PM your answers.

01. “HELLO GOODBYE” WAS THE LAST CHRISTMAS No1 SINGLE FOR WHO? THE BEATLES
02. IN WHICH 2003 CHRISTMAS-THEMED FILM DID HUGH GRANT PLAY THE PART OF THE BRITISH PRIME MINISTER? "LOVE ACTUALLY"
03. WHAT DOES THIS DINGBAT REPRESENT? TWELFTH NIGHT
NIGHT NIGHT NIGHT NIGHT
NIGHT NIGHT NIGHT NIGHT
NIGHT NIGHT NIGHT NIGHT

04. WHICH EUROPEAN COUNTRY IS THE LEADING PRODUCER OF BRUSSEL SPROUTS? THE NETHERLANDS
05. ‘NADOLIG LLAWEN’ MEANS MERRY CHRISTMAS IN WHICH LANGUAGE? WELSH
06. WHICH FAMOUS SONGWRITER WROTE “WHITE CHRISTMAS” – IRVING BERLIN, OSCAR HAMMERSTEIN OR COLE PORTER? IRVING BERLIN
07. IN THE FILM “THE MUPPETS CHRISTMAS CAROL” WHO PLAYED THE PART OF BOB CRATCHITT? KERMIT THE FROG
08. WHAT THIS DINGBAT REPRESENT? WRAPPING PAPER
A3 TORTILLA A4
09. THE TRADITIONAL CHRISTMAS TREATS MARRON GLACE ARE SUGARED WHAT? CHESTNUTS
10. WHAT WERE FIRST INTRODUCED IN 1847 AS ‘SMITH’S BON BONS’? CHRISTMAS CRACKERS
11. “TIDINGS OF COMFORT AND JOY” IS A LINE FROM WHICH CHRISTMAS CAROL? "GOD REST YE MERRY GENTLEMEN"
12. WHICH ACTOR NARRATES THE 2004 CHRISTMAS MOVIE “POLAR EXPRESS”? TOM HANKS
13. WHAT DOES THIS DINGBAT REPRESENT? SEASONS GREETINGS
HELLO SPRING HI SUMMER YO AUTUMN HEY WINTER
14. WHAT FRUIT IS USED TO MAKE THE TRADITIONAL CHRISTMAS DECORATION CALLED A CHRISTINGLE? ORANGE
15. WHICH FAMOUS AUTHOR WROTE THE FIRST MONARCH’S CHRISTMAS BROADCAST, WHICH WAS DELIVERED BY KING GEORGE V? RUDYARD KIPLING
16. WHAT DID THE DARKNESS NOT WANT TO END IN A 2003 CHRISTMAS HIT SINGLE? THE BELLS
17. IN WHICH FAMOUS LONDON LANDMARK DID MR BEAN CAUSE HAVOC IN “MERRY CHRISTMAS MR BEAN”? HARRODS
18. WHAT DOES THIS DINGBAT REPRESENT? PEACE ON EATH
19. WHICH CHRISTMAS DRINK IN MADE BY MIXING ADVOCAAT, LEMONADE AND LIME JUICE? SNOWBALL
20. AT WHICH ROYAL RESIDENCE DOES THE QUEEN USUALLY SPEND CHRISTMAS? SANDRINGHAM
21. OKLAHOMA WAS THE LAST US STATE TO RECOGNISE CHRISTMAS AS A HOLIDAY, BUT IN WHICH YEAR? 1907

Another three horse race.....
STUBEDOOBYDO 12 (tiebreaker 1925)
JUS 14 (1952)
TALLSCOT 14 (1906)

#161133 by IAN B
Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:44 pm
Decided to finish of the year with one of my more random offerings and the scores in The Railway reflected that - PM your answers.

01. IN WHATYEAR WERE THE FOLLOWING SONGS ALL UK HIT SINGLES – “I’M TOO SEXY” BY RIGHT SAID FRED, “THE STONK” BY HALE & PACE AND “DO THE BARTMAN” BY THE SIMPSONS? 1991
02. WHAT RACE WAS FIRST WON IN 1999 BY BEAU BRUMMIE BULLDOG AND HAS RECENTLY BEEN WON TWICE BY MR BUMBLE? THE MASCOT GRAND NATIONAL
03. ACCORDING TO A SURVEY IN “FHM” MAGAZINE WHICH COUNTRY HAS THE UGLIEST WOMEN IN THE WORLD AND INCIDENTALLY ALSO PRODUCES THE MOST HEROIN? AFGHANISTAN
04. PICTURE 1 GIVES A CRYPTIC CLUE TO THE NAME OF WHICH TV PERSONALITY? NOEL FIELDING
05. WHAT PART OF THE HUMAN BODY CAN INCREASE BY UP TO 45% OF ITS’ NORMAL SIZE WHEN YOU SEE SOMETHING PLEASING? THE PUPIL
06. WHOSE SONG TOPPED THE UK SINGLES CHARTS THIS CHRISTMAS? THE NHS CHOIR
07. IN BENNY HILL’S SONG “ERNIE” WHAT WAS THE NAME OF HIS RIVAL? TWO TON TED FROM TEDDINGTON
08. IN THE TRADITIONAL INDIAN TEAM SPORT OF KABBADI THE PLAYERS MUST HOLD WHAT WHILST PLAYING? HIS BREATH
09. PICTURE 2 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO WHICH ENGLISH COUNTY? CUMBRIA (Ravenglass, Barrow-in-Furness and Cockermouth)
10. WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE LARGE, VICIOUS, THREE HEADED DOG IN THE HARRY POTTER STORIES? FLUFFY
11. PETE SETS OFF FOR THE BOOKIES WITH A MONKEY IN HIS POCKET. ON THE WAY HE MEETS BOB TO WHOM HE GIVES THE PONY HE OWES HIM. AT THE BOOKIES HE MEETS FRED, TO WHOM HE LENDS A SCORE. PETE THEN BETS A TON ON A HORSE AT ODDS OF CARPET AND IT WINS. HOW MUCH MONEY DOES PETE HAVE AS HE LEAVES THE BOOKIES? £755 (£500-£25-£20-£100+£400)
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE FIRST YO-YO FACTORY OPENED IN THE USA, THE FIRST COMPLETE EDITION OF THE OXFORD ENGLISH DICTIONARY WAS PUBLISHED AND AUSTRALIA’S ROYAL FLYING DOCTOR SERVICE WAS FORMED. 1928
13. PICTURE 3 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH SINGER AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS? JOHNNY PRESTON and "RUNNING BEAR"
14. WHAT PIECE OF SPORTING EQUIPMENT WAS FIRST DESIGNED IN 1977 BY SEWING TWO JOCKSTRAPS TOGETHER? SPORTS BRA
15. THE WAT PA BUDDHIST TEMPLE IS BUILT ENTIRELY OUT OF – BEER BOTTLES, PLASTIC BOTTLES OR SODA CANS? BEER BOTTLES
16. IN “CORONATION STREET” THE CHIP SHOP HAS WHAT FILM-INSPIRED NAME – “THE CODFATHER”, “GOOD BUY MR CHIPS”, “FOR YOUR FRIES ONLY” OR “CODROEPHENIA” "FOR YOUR FRIES ONLY"
17. WHAT DOES THE DITLOID IN PICTURE 4 REPRESENT? (Clue: sport) 6 DEFEATS AT WEMBLEY FOR SHEFFIELD UNITED
18. WHO AM I? BORN ON FEBRUARY 02 IN COBBLESTONE COUNTY, USA, I FIRST WORKED AS A HOLIDAY RESORT BELLHOP BEFORE ENTERING INDUSTRY. MY TELEVISION DEBUT CAME IN 1960, BUT IT WAS 34 YEARS BEFORE I MADE MY FILM DEBUT. I AM MARRIED WITH ONE CHILD. FRED FLINTSTONE
19. IF AN ITALIAN FISHERMAN CAUGHT ‘GRANCHIOS’ WHAT WOULD HE HAVE CAUGHT? CRABS
20. ACCORDING TO “GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS” PAUL HUNN HAS PRODUCED THE LOUDEST WHAT, RECORDED AT 109.9 DECIBELS? BURP
21. ACCORDING TO “GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS” BRUCE MASTERS HOLDS THE RECORD FOR VISITING THE MOST PUBS, IN 2014 HOW MANY HAD HE BEEN TO? 46495

Image Image Image 6 D A W F S U

Just the one entry.....
TALLSCOT 11 (tiebreaker 30000)

#161171 by IAN B
Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:46 am
The Railway's first quiz of 2016 took a look back at 2015, with the winner getting 18/20 - PM your answers.

01. WHICH COUNTRY WON THE 2015 EUROVISION SONG CONTEST? SWEDEN
02. WHO DID ENGLAND BEAT IN THE OPENING GAME OF THE 2015 RUGBY UNION WORLD CUP? FIJI
03. WHICH COUNTRY ANNOUNCED THAT IT WAS ABANDONING ITS’ CURRENCY, THE LITAS, AND BECOMING THE 19th COUNTRY TO USE THE EURO? LITHUANIA
04. NAME THE OSCAR WINNING ACTOR IN PICTURE 1. EDDIE REDMAYNE
05. PRINCESS CHARLOTTE OF CAMBRIDGE WAS BORN IN MAY 2015, BUT WHAT OTHER NAMES WAS SHE GIVEN? ELIZABETH DIANA
06. WHICH COUNTRY BECAME THE FIRST TO APPROVE SAME SEX MARRIAGE VIA A PUBLIC REFERENDUM? REPUBLIC OF IRELAND
07. THE SINGER IN PICTURE 2 WON BEST BRITISH FEMALE AT THE BRIT AWARDS, WHO IS SHE? PALOMA FAITH
08. JORGE LORENZO WON THE MOTO GP TITLE, RIDING WHICH MAKE OF BIKE? YAMAHA
09. THE STRUCTURE IN PICTURE 3 BECAME A UNESCO WORLD HERITAGE SITE, WHAT IS IT? FORTH RAIL BRIDGE
10. WHICH TELEVISION SHOW TOOK THE TOP FOUR PLACES IN THE LIST OF THE UK’S MOST WATCHED SHOWS IN 2015? "THE GREAT BRITISH BAKE OFF"
11. THE PERSON SHOWN IN PICTURE 4 DIED IN 2015, WHO IS HE? TERRY PRATCHETT
12. NAME THE MONTH. THE LIBERAL DEMOCRATS ELECTED A NEW LEADER, ENGLAND FINISHED THIRD IN THE WOMEN’S FOOTBALL WORLD CUP AND THE DATING WEBSITE ASHLEY MADISON HIT THE HEADLINES. JUNE
13. WHO WAS THE CONTROVERSIAL CHOICE AS THE HEADLINE ACT FOR SATURDAY NIGHT AT THE GLASTONBURY FESTIVAL? KANYE WEST
14. PICTURE 5 SHOWS THE BADGE OF BRITISH BASKETBALL’S LEAGUE WINNERS, WHICH CITY ARE THEY FROM? NEWCASTLE
15. WH[ICH ENGLISH CITY WAS THE FIRST TO DECLARE A RESULT DURING THE GENERAL ELECTION? SUNDERLAND
16. WHO BECAME THE NEW PRESENTER OF THE TELEVISION SHOW “STARS IN THEIR EYES” WHEN IT RETURNED AFTER A NINE YEAR ABSENCE? HARRY HILL
17. THE SPACE PROBE “NEW HORIZONS” WAS THE FIRST TO VISIT WHERE? PLUTO
18. BY WHAT NAME DID 21st OCTOBER 2015 BECOME COMMONLY KNOWN? BACK TO THE FUTURE DAY
19. TESCO SUPERMARKETS BEGAN PUTTING SECURITY TAGS ON WHAT AFTER AN INCREASE IN THEIR DISAPPEARANCE? SHOPPING BASKETS
20. A RUSSIAN SELF-DEFENCE TEACHER BEGAN GIVING CLASSES IN HOW TO DEFEND YOURSELF USING WHAT? SELFIE STICKS
21. IN TOTAL HOW MANY GAMES DID NOVAK DJOKOVIC LOSE ON HIS WAY TO WINNING THE WIMBLEDON MEN’S SINGLES TITLE? 100

Image Image Image
Image Image

Three entrants, who had varying memories of 2015.....
TALLSCOT 11 (tiebreaker 62)
STUBYDOOBYDO 12 (33)
BUZZIE 14 (44)

#161217 by IAN B
Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:48 am
My evil side seems to have returned the past two weeks as The Railway regulars have struggled with these quizzes, recording winning scores of 14/20 and 15/20 - PM your answers.

01. NAME THE YEAR. BOYZONE HAD THEIR LAST UK No1 SINGLE, J-LO RELEASED HER DEBUT ALBUM AND BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN WAS INDUCTED INTO THE ROCK ‘N’ ROLL HALL OF FAME. 1999
02. WHICH COUNTY HAS WON ENGLISH RUGBY UNION’S COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP ON THE MOST OCCASIONS? LANCASHIRE
03. SOUTH AFRICA HAS THREE CAPITAL CITIES, NAME ANY TWO OF THEM. BLOEMFONTEIN, CAPE TOWN and PRETORIA
04. WHICH TV AND FILM DUO LIVE AT 62 WEST WALLABY STREET? WALLACE & GROMIT
05. WHAT FISH IS USED TO MAKE AN ARBROATH SMOKIE? HADDOCK
06. WHATHAS RECENTLY GAINED FOUR NEW ‘MEMBERS’, TAKING ITS’ TOTAL TO 118? THE PERIODIC TABLE
07. PICTURE 1 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH BAND AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS? A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS and "PHOTOGRAPH OF YOU"
08. IN 1900 DEVON & SOMERSET WANDERERS BEAT THE FRENCH ATHLETIC CLUB TO WIN THE LAST EVER OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL FOR WHICH SPORT? CRICKET
09. WHICH FASHION DESIGNER OWNS NEW YORK CITY’S POLO BAR? RALPH LAUREN
10. WHICH ACTOR PROVIDED THE VOICE FOR THE CHARACTER ROCKY RHODES IN THE FILM “CHICKEN RUN”? MEL GIBSON
11. AT A PET SHOW ALL THE ANIMALS APART FROM TWO ARE DOGS, ALL THE ANIMALS APART FROM TWO ARE CATS AND ALL THE ANIMALS APART FROM TWO ARE RABBITS. HOW MANY ANIMALS ARE THERE IN TOTAL? 3
12. NAME THE YEAR. CHARLIE CHAPLIN RECEIVED HIS FIRST OSCAR, THE VATICAN CITY GAINED INDEPENDENCE FROM ITALY AND THE COMEDIAN AND ACTOR RONNIE BARKER WAS BORN. 1929
13. WHICH COLOUR HAS FEATURED IN THE TITLE OF THE MOST UK No1 SINGLE – RED, WHITE OR BLUE? BLUE
14. PICTURE 2 SHOWS THE BADGE OF WHICH SPORTS TEAM? NEW ZEALAND RUGBY LEAGUE TEAM
15. IN TERMS OF AREA WHICH IS THE LARGEST OF NEW YORK CITY’S FIVE BOROUGHS? QUEENS
16. THE MEL BROOKS FILM SUBTITLES “MEN IN TIGHTS” CENTRED AROUND WHICH CHARACTER? ROBIN HOOD
17. WHAT DOES THE DITLOID IN PICTURE 3 REPRESENT? 12 IS A HURRICANE ON THE BEAUFORT SCALE
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN SEATTLE IN 1955, I AM A HARVARD GRADUATE WHO HAD DEVELOPED AN EARLY INTEREST IN COMPUTING. A LEADER IN MY FIELD FOR 40 YEARS, I HAVE BEEN RANKED AS THE WORLD’S FOURTH MOST POWERFUL PERSON AND MY CHARACTER BEEN PLAYED IN FOUR MOVIES. BILL GATES
19. A PHOTOGRAPH OF WHICH FAMOUS LANDMARK WAS REMOVED FROM A FACEBOOK PAGE FOR “CONTAINING NUDITY”? THE LITTLE MERMAID in Copenhagen
20. IN 2013 A JAPANESE SPORTS SCIENTIST STARTED CAMPAIGNING FOR WHICH CHILDREN’S GAME TO BE INCLUDED IN THE OLYMPIC GAMES? HIDE 'N' SEEK
21. IN TOTAL HOW MANY GEORGE CROSSES HAVE BEEN AWARDED? 437

Image Image
12 I A H O T B S

Three entrants who scored.....
BUZZIE 6 (tiebreaker 2650)
TALLSCOT 13 (250)
STUBYDOOBYDO 14 (250)

01. NAME THE YEAR. DAVID BOWIE HAD HIS FIRST UK No1 ALBUM, THE EVERLY BROTHERS SPLIT AND THE WHO RELEASED THEIR “QUADROPHENIA” ALBUM. 1973
02. OF THE CURRENT TEAMS IN ENGLISH FOOTBALL’S PRMIER LEAGUE WHICH WAS THE FIRST TO WIN THE FA CUP? ASTON VILLA
03. THE COASTLINE OF WHICH COUNTRY FORMS THE SOUTHERN SHORE OF THE BLACK SEA? TURKEY
04. WHICH CAST MEMBER OF “THE GOON SHOW” WAS NOT BORN IN THE UNITED KINGDOM? SPIKE MILIGAN in India
05. PICTURE 1 IS A CARICATURE OF WHOM? CAMILLA, DUCHESS OF CORNWALL
06. BARACK OBAMA HAS JUST GIVEN THE ANNUAL JANUARY SPEECH BY THE US PRESIDENT, BY WHAT NAME IS IT KNOWN? STATE OF THE UNION
07. TO WHICH MUSICAL FAMILY DOES THE OBOE BELONG? WOODWIND
08. NAME THE THREE FOOTBALLERS IN THE STATUE IN PICTURE 2. GEORGE BEST, DENIS LAW and BOBBY CHARLTON
09. IN 1990 PHILIPPE COZETTE AND GRAHAM FAGG MET IN THE MIDDLE OF WHERE? THE CHANNEL TUNNEL as it was first opened up
10. IN THE 1973 CHARLTON HESTON FILM “SOYLENT GREEN” SOYLENT GREEN WAS A FOOD STUFF MADE FROM WHAT? HUMANS
11. WHAT IS (-7) + (-3) x (-5)? 50
12. NAME THE YEAR. ARSENAL FIRST PLAYED LIVERPOOL IN THE FA CUP FINAL, THE “PEANUTS” CARTOON STRIP MADE ITS’ NEWSPAPER DEBUT AND ANDY PANDY MADE HIS TELEVISION DEBUT. 1950
13. PICTURE 3 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH GROUP AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS? CAMEO and "WORD UP"
14. WHO WON THE FIRST EVER RUGBY UNION INTERNATIONAL MATCH? SCOTLAND vs England
15. NAMED AFTER THE QUEEN CONSORT OF KING GEORGE III, WHAT IS THE STATE CAPITAL OF NORTH CAROLINA? CHARLOTTE
16. WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE FORT IN THE CHILDREN’S TELEVISION SHOW “CAMBERWICK GREEN”? PIPPIN FORT
17. WHERE WOULD YOU SEE THE PHRASES “MIND THE GAP”, “SO MANY IRONS IN THE FIRE” AND “REMEMBER REMEMBER THE FIFTH OF NOVEMBER”? ON THE EDGE OF £2 COINS
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN HAMPSTEAD, LONDON IN 1940, I OVERCAME MY LACK OF MUSICAL TALENT TO HAVE A SUCCESSFUL BAND IN THE 60s AS WELL AS BEING ACTIVE IN PIRATE RADIO. I FIRST STOOD FOR PARLIAMENT IN 1963 BEFORE FORMING MY OWN PARTY IN 1983. I DIED IN 1999. DAVID 'SCREAMING LORD' SUTCH
19. WHERE WOULD YOU FIND A TITTLE? ABOVE A LETTER 'i' OR 'j'
20. ACCORDING TO RESEARCH THE AVERAGE PERSON HAS WHAT 1460 TIMES A YEAR? DREAM
21. IN TOTAL HOW MANY RUNS DID GEOFFREY BOYCOTT SCORE FOR YORKSHIRE COUNTY CRICKET CLUB IN FIRST CLASS CRICKET? 32570

Image Image Image

Same three entrants who found it as tough as The Railway contestants...
STUBYDOOBYDO 10 (tiebreaker 12478)
TALLSCOT 12 (20000)
BUZZIE 12 (39500)
Last edited by IAN B on Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

#161254 by IAN B
Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:32 am
Due to time constraints I'll be posting two Railway quizzes every fortnight.

Here's the last two weeks offerings, which produced winning scores of 14/20 and 18/20 in The Railway - PM your answers.

01. NAME THE YEAR. SPAIN WON THEIR FIRST EUROVISION SONG CONTEST, ELVIS PRESLEY WON HIS FIRST GRAMMY AND “TALK TO THE ANIMALS” FROM THE FILM “DR DOOLITTLE” WON THE OSCAR FOR BEST ORIGINAL SONG. 1968
02. THE TEST MATCH CRICKET GROUND ON THE ISLAND OF ANTIGUA IS NAMED AFTER WHOM? VIV RICHARDS
03. WHICH ENGLISH PUBLIC SCHOOL HAS EDUCATED 19 BRITISH PRIME MINISTERS, 37 VICTORIA CROSS RECIPIENTS AND ONE BEST ACTOR OSCAR WINNER? ETON
04. PICTURE 1 SHOWS THE TITLES OF WHICH TELEVISION SHOW? "CASUALTY"
05. IF AN INDIAN DISH IS CALLED ‘ALOO’ WHAT INGREDIENT DOES IT CONTAIN? [colo=red]POTATO[/color]
06. WHICH COMPANY HAS AGREED A DEAL WITH THE UK GOVERNMENT TO PAY £130M IN BACK TAXES? GOOGLE
07. OASIS HAVE HAD EIGHT UK No1 ALBUMS, WHAT WAS THE TITLE OF THE FIRST? "DEFINITELY MAYBE"
08. BY WHAT OTHER NAME IS THE SPORT OR GAME OF NINEPINS KNOWN? SKITTLES
09. NAME THE EUROPEAN CAPITAL CITY FEATURED IN PICTURE 2. LISBON
10. IN THE TITLE OF THE TELEVISION SHOW “NCIS” WHAT DOES THE LETTER ‘N’ STAND FOR? NAVAL
11. IS THE FOLLOWING LINE BY WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE OR A RAPPER – “NOW JOIN YOUR HANDS AND WITH YOUR HANDS YOUR HEARTS”? SHAKESPERE'S "Henry VI"
12. NAME THE YEAR. “THE TIMES” LITERARY SUPPLEMENT FIRST PUBLISHED, ELGAR’S “LAND OF HOPE AND GLORY” RECEIVED ITS’ LONDON PREMIERE AND REAL MADRID FOOTBALL CLUB WAS FOUNDED. 1902
13. DAVID BOWIE WROTE AND RECORDED THE SONG “THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD”, BUT WHO HAD A 1974 No3 HIT WITH IT? LULU
14. NAME THE OLYMPIC MEDAL WINNING SPORTS PERSON IN PICTURE 3. TOM DALEY
15. CARSON CITY IS THE STATE CAPITAL OF WHICH US STATE? NEVADA
16. ALONG WITH CAMBERWICK GREEN AND TRUMPTON, WHICH VILLAGE MADE UP THE TRUMPTONSHIRE TRILOGY OF CHILDREN’S STORIES? CHIGLEY
17. THE CORNISH CHEESE YARG IS COVERED WITH A LAYER OF WHAT? NETTLES
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN PENANG, MALAYA IN 1948, MY ICONIC NAME IS A RESULT OF MY FAMILY NAME BEING MISPELT. TRAINED IN THE FAMILY BUSINESS, I GRADUATED FROM COLLEGE IN LONDON IN 1983, OPENING MY FIRST SHOP IN 1986. IT WAS THROUGH ROYAL PATRONAGE THAT I BECAME FAMOUS. JIMMY CHOO
19. RESEARCHERS HAVE RECENTLY DISCOVERED THAT WHAT HOUSEHOLD CHORE IS RELAXING? WASHING UP
20. ACTRESS KAYLA-JANE DANGER HAS MADE A 7’ REPLICA OF DARTH VADER OUT OF £3000 OF WHAT? SEX TOYS
21. UP TO 2015, WHAT IS THE TOTAL ATTENDANCE AT THE GRAND FINALS OF ENGLISH RUGBY’S SUPER LEAGUE? 1167703

Image Image Image

Three entrants who scored.....
STUBEDOOBYDO 10 (tiebreaker 632798)
BUZZIE 11 (975000)
TALLSCOT 11 (1020000)

01. NAME THE YEAR. DAVY JONES ANNOUNCED HE WAS LEAVING THE MONKEES, DEREK & THE DOMINOES DISBANDED AND JOHN DEACON JOINED QUEEN. 1971
02. IN BADMINTON HOW MANY ARE REQUIRED TO WIN A GAME? 21
03. FORMENTERA IS THE FOURTH LARGEST ISLAND IN WHICH GROUP? BALAERICS
04. “THE RED CAR AND THE BLUE CAR HAD A RACE” WAS AN ADVERTISING SLOGAN FIRST USED IN THE 80s FOR WHICH PRODUCT? MILKY WAY
05. WHICH SPIRIT IS THE MAIN INGREDIENT IN A SINGAPORE SLING COCKTAIL? GIN
06. WHICH ENGLISH CITY HAS BEEN AT THE CENTRE OF THE UNCLAIMED LOTTERY JACKPOT STORY? WORCESTER
07. IN 2009 WHICH BAND BECAME THE FIRST TO SELL ONE MILLION DIGITAL COPIES OF AN ALBUM IN THE USA? COLDPLAY
08. PICTURE 1 SHOWS THE BADGES OF TEAMS IN A SPORTING DERBY IN WHICH SPORT AND WHICH CITY? RUGBY LEAGUE in SYDNEY - South Sydney Rabbitohs vs Sydney Roosters
09. WHICH TOWN IS THE ADMINISTRATIVE HEADQUARTERS OF THE COUNTY OF KENT? MAIDSTONE
10. THE FICTIONAL SPANISH TOWN OF LOS BARCOS FEATURED IN WHICH TELEVISION PROGRAMME? "ELDORADO"
11. IF BILLY GAVE JOHN FIVE OF HIS FOOTBALL CARDS THEY WOULD BOTH HAVE THE SAME NUMBER, BUT IF JOHN GAVE BILLY FIVE OF HIS CARDS BILLY WOULD HAVE TWICE AS MANY, HOW MANY CARDS DID EACH OF THEM START WITH? 35 and 25
12. NAME THE YEAR. “THE INDEPENDENT” NEWSPAPER WAS FIRST PUBLISHED, THE FIRST RECOGNISED COMPUTER VIRUS WAS RELEASED AND GREG LEMOND BECAME THE FIRST AMERICAN TO WIN THE TOUR DE FRANCE. 1986
13. PICTURE 2 GIVES A CRYPTIC CLUE TO THE NAME OF WHICH GROUP AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS? JACKSON 5 and "ABC"
14. FOR WHICH TEAM WAS DAMON HILL DRIVING WHEN HE WON THE F1 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP? WILLIAMS
15. EGYPT SHARES LAND BORDERS WITH THREE COUNTRIES, NAME ANY TWO OF THEM. ISRAEL, LIBYA and SUDAN
16. IN THE WORLD OF FILMS WHAT LINKS THE THREE PEOPLE IN PICTURE 3? THEY ALL REFUSED TO ACCEPT ACADEMY AWARDS - Marlon Brando, Dudley Nichols and George C Scott
17. TRUE OR FALSE - ALL ISRAELI POSTAGE STAMPS ARE KOSHER? TRUE
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN MISSISSIPPI IN 1954, I BEGAN WORKING IN LOCAL RADIO WHILST STILL IN HIGH SCHOOL BEFORE MOVING INTO TELEVISION. I MADE MY FILM DEBUT IN A 1985 OSCAR WINNING FILM, A YEAR BEFORE I BEGAN 25 SEASONS AS HOST OF MY OWN TV SHOW. OPRAH WINFREY
19. A BRAND OF WHAT WAS NAMED RAMSES AFTER AN EGYPTIAN PHAROAH WHO ALLEGEDLY FATHERED 160 CHILDREN? CONDOMS
20. A CHINESE COMPANY HAS GIVEN ITS’ MALE EMPLOYEES WHAT INSTEAD OF A CASH BONUS? SEX DOLLS
21. HOW MANY EPISODES OF THE TELEVISION CHAT SHOW “WOGAN” WERE BROADCAST? 1131

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

Same three entrants, different winner.....
BUZZIE 11 (tiebreaker 652)
TALLSCOT 13 (90)
STUBEDOOBYDO 16 (1001)

#161359 by IAN B
Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:02 pm
Another couple of quizzes from The Railway, the first was a Valentine's Day quiz where the winner scored 18/20, the second saw four teams score 16/20 - PM your answers.

01. BETWEEN 1973 AND 1983 WHICH SINGER’S BACKING BAND WAS THE LOVE UNLIMITED ORCHESTRA? BARRY WHITE
02. IN THE GRAND NATIONAL BY WHAT NAME ARE FENCES 9 AND 25 KNOWN? VALENTINE'S (BROOK)
03. THE SHAKESPEARE PLAY “ROMEO AND JULIET” IS SET IN WHICH ITALIAN CITY? VERONA
04. ON TELEVISION MERRILL STUBBING WAS THE CAPTAIN OF WHAT? THE LOVE BOAT
05. EROS IS THE GREEK GOD OF LOVE, BUT WHO IS HIS ROMAN EQUIVALENT? CUPID
06. THE APHRODISIAC “SPANISH FLY” IS MADE OF GROUND WHAT? BEETLES
07. THE DUO IN PICTURE 1 WERE THE MAIN MEMBERS OF WHICH BAND? HEART
08. UNTIL 2009 WHAT WAS THE HOME GROUND OF ST MIRREN FOOTBALL CLUB? LOVE STREET
09. WHAT TRADITION, WHICH BEGAN ON A SERBIAN BRIDGE DURING WORLD WAR I,HAS BECOME POPULAR ACROSS EUROPE DURING THE 21st CENTURY? LOVE LOCKS
10. WHICH ACTRESS PLAYED THE TITLE ROLE IN THE 1989 FILM “SHIRLEY VALENTINE”? PAULINE COLLINS
11. WHAT DOES THE DINGBAT IN PICTURE 2 REPRESENT? ROMANTIC
12. WHAT WAS FIRST PRODUCED IN 1954 BY THE NEW MILLS-BASED COMPANY SWIZZELLS LTD? LOVE HEARTS
13. WHO PROVIDED DIRE STRAITS’ WITH A 1981 UK TOP TEN SINGLE? ROMEO AND JULIET
14. NAME THE SPORTSMAN SHOWN IN PICTURE 3. DAVIS LOVE III
15. IN WHICH US CITY DID THE ST VALENTINE’S DAY MASSACRE TAKE PLACE? CHICAGO
16. PICTURE 4 SHOWS A POSTER FOR WHICH FILM? "SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE"
17. WHICH ENGLISH KING DECLARED VALENTINE’S DAY A PUBLIC HOLIDAY? HENRY VIII
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN CASTELLA NETA, ITALY IN 1895, I EMIGRATED TO THE USA IN 1913. AFTER SEVERAL ‘BIT PART’ ACTING ROLES, I BECAME A STAR OF SILENT FILMS IN THE 20s, BUT DIED IN NEW YORK CITY IN 1926. RUDOLPH VALENTINO
19. IN THE 18th CENTURY WHAT LED TO A SUDDEN INCREASE IN THE SENDING OF ANONYMOUS VALENTINE’S CARDS? A REDUCTION IN PRICE OF POSTAGE
20. THE COMPANY “GOLDGENIE” USED PLATINUM AND JEWELS TO CREATE A $3.96 MILLION WHAT? iPhone
21. IN WHAT YEAR DID THE COMPANY MOZOROFF LTD POPULARIZE VALENTINE’S DAY IN JAPAN? 1936

Image NEROImage
Image Image

Romance isn't dead, but it's struggling (especially with the answer 'bungee' for Q9)...
TALLSCOT 8 (tiebreaker 1910)
STUBEDOOBYDO 9 (1931)

01. NAME THE YEAR. FRANK SINATRA WON HIS FIRST GRAMMY, THE PRIMETTES, LATER CALLED THE SUPREMES, WERE FORMED AND SMITHS FRONTMAN MORRISSEY WAS BORN. 1962
02. WHAT NAME IS GIVEN TO A RACEHORSE THAT HAS YET TO WIN A RACE? MAIDEN
03. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE PENINSULA THAT IS MADE UP OF SPAIN AND PORTUGAL? IBERIAN
04. WHAT NAME IS GIVEN TO THE ANNUAL AWARDS THAT RECOGNISE EXCELLENCE IN TELEVISION PROGRAMMES BROADCAST IN THE USA? EMMYS
05. WHAT IS THE OFFSPRING OF A MALE HORSE AND A FEMALE DONKEY CALLED? HINNY
06. IT WAS ANNOUNCED THIS WEEKTHAT WHICH FOOTBALL LEGEND WILL HAVE A STAND RENAMED IN HIS HONOUR? SIR BOBBY CHARLTON
07. PICTURE 1 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH GROUP AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS? B52s and "LOVE SHACK"
08. WHICH OLYMPIC SPORT USES THE LIGHTEST BALL? TABLE TENNIS
09. PICTURE 2 GIVES A CRYPTIC CLUE TO A LONDON UNDERGROUND JOURNEY BETWEEN WHICH TWO STATIONS? SWISS COTTAGE to CANADA WATER
10. WHAT NAUTICAL TERM IS THE NAME OF THE SEAGULL IN THE DISNEY FILM “THE LITTLE MERMAID” – FATHOM, FLOTSAM, JETSAM OR SCUTTLE? SCUTTLE
11. IF A CRICKET TEAM IS BOWLED OUT IN TEN BALLS WITHOUT SCORING ANY RUNS WHICH NUMBER BATSMAN IS LEFT NOT OUT? 8
12. NAME THE YEAR. JAPAN’S EMPEROR HIROHITO DIED, “BYKER GROVE” MADE ITS’ TELEVISION DEBUT AND THE “SHEFFIELD TELEGRAPH” WAS LAUNCHED AS A WEEKLY NEWSPAPER. 1989
13. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING IS THE ONLY ONE TO HAVE HAD A UK No1 SINGLE – MAMA CASS, PAPA ROACH, BROTHER BEYOND OR SISTER SLEDGE? SISTER SLEDGE with "Frankie"
14. NAME ONE OF THE TWO CITIES THAT HAS HOSTED AMERICAN FOOTBALL’S SUPER BOWL ON TEN OCCASIONS. MIAMI and NEW ORLEANS
15. IN WHICH STATE IS THE FAMOUS AMERICAN LANDMARK MOUNT RUSHMORE? SOUTH DAKOTA
16. IN “THE MUPPET SHOW” WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE WIFE OF THE HECKLER WALDORF? ASTORIA
17. WHAT FOUR WORD PHRASE DOES THE DINGBAT IN PICTURE 4 REPRESENT? BANG OUT OF ORDER
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN BATLEY IN 1949, I JOINED MY FIRST BAND WHILST STILL AT SCHOOL. I SIGNED MY FIRST SOLO RECORD DEAL IN 1974. I NEVER HAD A UK No1 SINGLE, BUT AM REMEMBERED FOR TWO ICONIC 80s MUSIC VIDEOS. I DIED IN PARIS IN 2003. ROBERT PALMER
19. AN INMATE IN A VIETNAMESE PRISON DID WHAT IN ORDER TO ESCAPE BEING EXECUTED – BECAME PREGNANT, MARRIES THE GOVERNOR OR COMMITTED SUICIDE? BECAME PREGNANT
20. ACCORDING TO A PROPOSED LAW IN THE US STATE OF KENTUCKY A MAN WILL NEED A LETTER FROM HIS WIFE IN ORDER TO PURCHASE WHAT? VIAGRA
21. IN WHAT YEAR WERE “QUALITY STREET” CHOCOLATES FIRST SOLD? 1936

Image Image
BNAG

Same two entrants, different result
STUBEDOOBYDO 11 (1901)
TALLSCOT 15 (1910)