• Topic Title

• Topic description
Challenge fellow quizzers by posting your favourite questions and quizzes here.

Moderators: playgirl, JUS, rodbox

#161430 by IAN B
Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:12 pm
Another double offering from The Railway's resident QM - the first one proved quite easy with a winning score of 18/20, the second more difficult as three teams scored 15/20 - PM your answers.

01. NAME THE YEAR. PROCUL HARUM RELEASED THEIR DEBUT SINGLE “A WHITER SHADE OF PALE”, THE WHO PLAYED THEIR FIRST CONCERT IN THE USA AND THE HOME SERVICE WAS RENAMED BBC RADIO 4. 1967
02. WHICH AMERICAN CITY IS HOME TO SPORTS TEAMS CALLED THE ROCKIES AND THE AVALANCHE? DENVER
03. THE DARDANELLES IS A BODY OF WATER SEPARATING TWO PARTS OF WHICH COUNTRY? TURKEY
04. IN THE DISNEY FILM “FROZEN” WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE SNOWMAN? OLAF
05. PICTURE 1 SHOWS A LOGO OF WHICH COMPANY? DREAMWORKS
06. IT COST £450 THIS WEEK TO TRAVEL FROM LONDON TO YORK ON WHAT? THE FLYING SCOTSMAN
07. WHICH SINGER HAD A 1986 ALBUM AND SINGLE INSPIRED AND NAMED AFTER ELVIS PRESLEY’S HOME? PAUL SIMON
08. WHICH IS THE MOST NORTHERLY CITY TO HAVE HOSTED FOOTBALL’S WORLD CUP FINAL? STOCKHOLM
09. OUTSIDE WHICH LONDON THEATRE WOULD YOU FIND A STATUE OF SIR LAWRENCE OLIVIER? THE NATIONAL THEATRE
10. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE AMERICAN VERSION OF THE TELEVISION SHOW “STRICTLY COME DANCING”? "DANCING WITH THE STARS"
11. HOW MANY TIMES CAN YOU SUBTRACT 10 FROM 100? ONCE
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE WORLD TRADE ORGANISATION WAS ESTABLISHED, RUGBY UNION TURNED PROFESSIONAL AND THE ENTERTAINER DEAN MARTIN DIED. 1995
13. PICTURE 2 GIVES A CRYPTIC CLUE TO THE NAME OF WHICH BAND AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS? GUNS 'N' ROSES and "NOVEMBER RAIN"
14. SLALOM, BIG AIR AND SUPER X ARE CATEGORIES IN WHICH SPORT? WINDSURFING
15. NAME THE COUNTRY HIGHLIGHTED IN PICTURE 3. QATAR
16. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE VILLAGE CLOSE TO WHICH HOGWART’S SCHOOL IS LOCATED? HOGSMEADE
17. WHO ONCE SAID “I’VE NEVER HAD AN ACCIDENT WORTH TALKING ABOUT” – DONALD CAMPBELL, CAPTAIN EJ SMITH OR JAMES DEAN? CAPTAIN EJ SMITH
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN EDINBURGH IN 1850, I WAS A FAILED ENGINEERING STUDENT, WHOSE LOVE OF TRAVELLING INSPIRED MANY OF MY WRITTEN WORKS. MY FIRST NOVEL WAS PUBLISHED IN 1877 AND MY MOST FAMOUS IN 1883. I DIED IN SAMOA IN 1894. ROBERT LOUIS STEVENSON
19. WHAT NAME LINKS DAVID BECKHAM WITH A VILLAGE JUST SOUTH OF THE CITY OF OXFORD? GOLDEN BALLS
20. TSANTSAS IS A PROCESS USED BY SOME SOUTH AMERICAN TRIBES TO DO WHAT – MAKE ALCOHOL, PRESERVE FOOD OR SHRINK HEADS? SHRINK HEADS
TIE BREAKER (nearest answer wins)
21. ACCORDING TO THE 2011 CENSUS WHAT WAS THE POPULATION OF THE TOWN OF BARNSLEY? 74928

Image Image Image

Just the one entrant....
STUBEDOOBYDO 12 (tiebreaker 50010)

01. NAME THE YEAR. THE OPERA SINGER MARIA CALLAS GAVE HER FINAL PERFORMANCE, THE BEATLES WERE AWARDED MBEs AND RINGO STARR’S SON, ZAC STARKEY, WAS BORN. 1965
02. NAME ONE OF THE TWO TEAMS WHO PLAY IN FOOTBALL’S BASQUE DERBY. ATHLETICO BILBAO and REAL SOCIEDAD
03. THE MAIN CITY ON THE CARIBBEAN ISLAND OF TOBAGO SHARES ITS’ NAME WITH WHICH ENGLISH SEASIDE RESORT? SCARBOROUGH
04. WHICH OF THE FIVE MARX BROTHERS WAS THE YOUNGEST? ZEPPO
05. PICTURE 1 SHOWS THE BADGE OF WHICH CAR MANUFACTURER? ASTON MARTIN
06. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE NEW DAILY NEWSPAPER LAUNCHED LAST MONDAY BY THE TRINITY MIRROR GROUP? "NEW DAY"
07. WHICH SONG, FROM THE MUSICAL “JOSEPH AND HIS AMAZING TECHNICOLOUR DREAMCOAT”, REACHED No1 IN THE UK CHARTS IN 1991 AND No2 IN 2007? "ANY DREAM WILL DO"
08. WHICH IS THE ONLY AUSTRIAN CITY TO HAVE HOSTED AN OLYMPIC GAMES? INNSBRUCK
09. PICTURE 2 SHOWS PART OF WHICH BUILDING? O2 ARENA
10. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE SLOTH IN THE “SOFAWORKS” TV ADVERTS? NEIL
11. ‘OBSTINATE RATTLING’ IS AN ANAGRAMOF THE TITLE OF WHICH TELEVISION PROGRAMME? "BRITAIN'S GOT TALENT"
12. NAME THE YEAR. ALCATRAZ FEDERAL PENITENTIARY WAS OPENED, ARSENAL WON THE FOOTBALL LEAGUE TITLE FOR THE THIRD TIME IN FOUR SEASONS AND THE “DR WHO” ACTOR TOM BAKER WAS BORN. 1934
13. IN 1989 GENE PITNEY FEATURED ON A COVER OF HIS 1967 HIT “SOMETHING’S GOTTA HOLD OF MY HEART”, BUT WHO DID HE SING WITH? MARC ALMOND
14. PICTURE 3 SHOWS A STATUE OF WHO? SIR MATT BUSBY
15. APART FROM YORKSHIRE YOU CAN FIND THE RIVERS DON AND HUMBER IN WHICH COMMONWEALTH CITY? TORONTO
16. SAM WHEAT AND MOLLY JENSEN WERE THE LEAD CHARACTERS IN WHICH 1990 FILM? [colorred]"GHOST"[/color]
17. AMERICANS CALL IT CILANTRO, WHAT DO THE BRITISH CALL IT? CORIANDER
18. WHO AM I? BORN JO TEJADA IN CHICAGO IN 1940, I WAS A TRAINEE BALLET DANCER AND TV WEATHER FORECASTER BEFORE MAKING MY TELEVISION AND FILM ACTING DEBUTS IN 1964. IN THE 80s I BECAME A PIONEER OF CELEBRITY FITNESS VIDEOS. RAQUEL WELCH
19. THE EUROPEAN UNION HAS DECREED THAT WHAT CAN NOT BE ADVERTISED AS HELPING WITH REHYDRATION? WATER
20. THE NECTAR BAT HAS THE LONGEST WHAT OF ANY ANIMAL IN RELATION TO THE LENGTH OF ITS’ BODY? TONGUE
21. THE ALCATRAZ FEDERAL PENITENTIARY HAD THE CAPACITY TO HOLD HOW MANY PRISONERS? 312

Image Image Image

Same single entrant :-( .....
STUBEDOOBYDO 10 (tiebreaker 280)
Last edited by IAN B on Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
#161549 by IAN B
Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:27 am
Two more quizzes from The Railway, the first proved quite easy with two teams scoring 19/20, whilst the winner of the second got 16/20 - PM your answers.

01. NAME THE YEAR. STATUS QUO HEADLINED THE FIRST PRINCE’S TRUST CONCERT, YAZOO HAD THEIR FIRST UK HIT SINGLES AND “CATS” MADE ITS’ BROADWAY DEBUT. 1982
02. WHICH IS THE OLDEST OF BRITISH HORSE RACING’S”CLASSICS”? ST LEGER
03. LAKE OKEECHOBEE IS THE LARGEST LAKE IN WHICH US STATE? FLORIDA
04. PICTURE 1 GIVES A CRYPTIC CLUE TO THE IDENTITY OF WHICH ACTOR? CHUCK NORRIS
05. ON 16 MARCH 1935 MR R BEERE BECAME THE FIRST PERSON IN BRITAIN TO – BUY A PREMIUM BOND, PASS A DRIVING TEST OR RECEIVE AN OAP BUS PASS? PASS A DRIVING TEST
06. OFTEN REFERRED TO AS “THE FIFTH BEATLE”, WHICH FAMOUS RECORD PRODUCER DIED EARLIER THIS WEEK? GEORG MARTIN
07. ROMAN JUGG, MONTY OXYMORON, GARRIE DREADFUL AND RAT SCABIES WERE ALL MEMBERS OF WHICH BAND? THE DAMNED
08. WHEN ENGLAND WON THE 2003 RUGBY UNION WORLD CUP FINAL WHICH COUNTRY DID THEY BEAT IN THE SEMI-FINAL? FRANCE
09. WHICH TOWN OR CITY IS THE ADMINISTRATIVE HEADQUARTERS OF THE COUNTY OF LANCASHIRE? PRESTON
10. WHAT IS THE FIRST NAME OF THE TELEVISION CHARACTER HOUSE, PLAYED BY HUGH LAURIE? GREGORY
11. SOLVE THE PUZZLE IN PICTURE 2. 15
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE FIRST CROSS CHANNEL PASSENGER HOVERCRAFT SERVICE BEGAN, THE UK CEASED ALL TRADING WITH RHODESIA AND BILLIE JEAN KING WON THE FIRST OF HER SIX WIMBLEDON LADIES SINGLES TITLES. 1966
13. PICTURE 3 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH GROUP AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS? BOYZ II MEN and "END OF THE ROAD"
14. WHICH IS THE MOST SOUTHERLY CITY TO HAVE HOSTED FOOTBALL’S WORLD CUP FINAL? MONTEVIDEO
15. THE BRITANNIA AND MENAI BRIDGES CONNECT WHAT WITH MAINLAND BRITAIN? ANGLESEY
16. ‘UGLY PINK OUTLAW’ CONTAINS WORDS FROM THE TITLES OF THREE MOVIES STARRING WHICH FILM STAR? CLINT EASTWOOD
17. WHAT DOES THE DINGBAT IN PICTURE 4 REPRESENT? ODDS ON FAVOURITE
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN MERTON, LONDON IN 1976, I AM A UNIVERSITY DROPOUT WHO WON THE PERRIER AWARD FOR BEST COMEDY NEWCOMER AT THE 2003 EDINBURGH FESTIVAL. I MADE MY TV DEBUT IN 2007 AND, IN 2010, BECAME THE YOUNGEST EVER HOST OF THE ROYAL VARIETY PERFORMANCE. MICHAEL McINTYRE
19. FORMER US PRESIDENT GEORGE BUSH ONCE SAID “RECENTLY MORE AND MORE OF OUR IMPORTS ARE FROM...” WHERE? ABROAD
20. DURING WWII THE GERMAN U-BOAT U1206 WAS SUNK DUE TO A BROKEN WHAT? TOILET
21. PAOLO MALDINI HOLDS THE RECORD FOR THE MOST APPEARANCES IN ITALIAN FOOTBALL’S SERIE A, HOW MANY APPEARANCES DID HE MAKE? 647

Image Image Image Image

Just the one entrant again.....
STUBEDOOBYDO 10 (tiebreaker 802)

01. NAME THE YEAR. EMERSON, LAKE AND PALMER HAD THEIR ONLY UK HIT SINGLE, LONDON HOSTED THE EUROVISION SONG CONTEST AND CHART TOPPING SINGER SHAKIRA WAS BORN. 1977
02. IN TERMS OF CAPACITY WHICH TEAM CURRENTLY HAS THE SMALLEST STADIUM IN ENGLISH FOOTBALL’S CHAMPIONSHIP? ROTHERHAM UNITED
03. NAME THE CITY HIGHLIGHTED IN PICTURE 1. NEW YORK CITY
04. “A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE” WAS THE NOVEL WHICH INSPIRED WHICH TELEVISION SERIES? "GAME OF THRONES"
05. IN THE ACRONYM OF THE POLICE UNIT ‘SWAT’ WHAT DOES THE LETTER ‘W’ REPRESENT? WEAPONS
06. THE GOVERNMENT HAS ANNOUNCED PLANS FOR AN 18 MILE TUNNEL LINKING WHERE? SHEFFIELD and MANCHESTER
07. WHO HOLDS THE RECORD FOR THE MOST GRAMMYS WON BY A BAND OR GROUP? U2
08. IN ITALIAN FOOTBALL’S SERIE A HOW MANY CITIES CURRENTLY HAVE MORE THAN ONE TEAM? 4 - Rome, Milan, Genoa and Turin
09. THE RIVER SPREE IS THE MAIN RIVER IN WHICH EUROPEAN CAPITAL CITY? BERLIN
10. THE FILM STAR EMILIO ESTEVEZ IS THE ELDEST CHILD OF WHICH ACTOR? MARTIN SHEEN
11. HOW MANY ACTUAL MATCHSTICKS ARE THERE IN PICTURE 2. 8
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE THAMES FLOOD BARRIER BECAME OPERATIONAL, DISNEY OPENED THEIR EPCOT CENTRE AND THE FORD SIERRA FIRST WENT ON SALE. 1982
13. APART FROM JASON DONOVAN AND KYLIE MINOGUE WHICH MEMBER OF THE “NEIGHBOURS” CAST HAS HAD A UK No1 SINGLE? HOLLY VALLANCE with "Kiss Kiss"
14. NAME THE SPORTS STADIUM SHOWN IN PICTURE 3. HILLSBOROUGH
15. THE STATE CAPITAL OF DELAWARE SHARES ITS’ NAME WITH WHICH BRITISH SEAPORT? DOVER
16. IN THE FILM “SPEED” TO AVOID EXPLODING THE BUS COULD NOT DROP BELOW WHAT SPEED? 50MPH
17. WHAT DOES THIS DITLOID REPRESENT? 6 P F A T I A F 6 POINTS FOR A TOUCHDOWN IN AMERICAN FOOTBALL
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN CHICAGO IN 1933, I WAS A UNIVERSITY DROPOUT WHOSE MUSICAL CAREER BEGAN AS A TRUMPET PLAYER. IN 1964 I BECAME VP OF A RECORD COMPANY AND RECORDED THE FIRST OF MANY FILM SCORES. A PROLIFIC RECORD PRODUCER, I HOLD THE RECORD FOR THE MOST GRAMMY NOMINATIONS AND HAVE ALSO RECEIVED SEVEN OSCAR NOMINATIONS. QUINCY JONES
19. ACCORDING TO POLICE RECORDS, IN 2006 20% OF SWEDEN’S ROAD ACCIDENTS INVOLVED WHAT? ELK
20. WHAT LEAVES THE HUMAN BODY AT APPROXIMATELY 100MPH? A SNEEZE
21. HOW MANY MEDALS, IN TOTAL, HAVE GREAT BRITAIN WON AT THE SUMMER OLYMPIC GAMES? 780

Image Image

Same single entrant.....
STUBEDOOBYDO 10 (598)
Last edited by IAN B on Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
#162128 by IAN B
Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:19 am
Another two quizzes from The Railway, the first one proved quite tough with a winning score of 15/20, the second a little easier with 18/20 winning it - PM your answers.

01. NAME THE YEAR. CHUCK BERRY HAD HIS ONLY UK No1 SINGLE, THE EVENTS THAT INSPIRED DEEP PURPLE’S “SMOKE ON THE WATER” OCCURED AND THE MUSICAL “JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR” MADE ITS’ BROADWAY DEBUT.
02. WHO WAS THE FIRST BOXER TO BEAT MIKE TYSON IN A PROFESSIONAL FIGHT?
03. APART FROM DUBLIN THERE ARE FIVE CITIES IN THE REPUBLIC OF IRELAND, NAME ANY THREE OF THEM.
04. BY WHAT NAME IS THE ENTERTAINER AND TELEVISION STAR STEVEN FRAYNE BETTER KNOWN?
05. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE AUSTRALIAN BEER GLASS THAT HOLDS 15 FLUID OUNCES OR ¾ OF A PINT?
06. WHICH WORLD FIGURE STARTED USING INSTAGRAM THIS WEEK?
07. PICTURE 1 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH BAND AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS?
08. OF THE TEAMS CURRENTLY PLAYING IN ENGLISH FOOTBALL’S PREMIER LEAGUE HOW MANY HAVE NEVER WON THE TITLE IN THE TOP DIVISION – 8, 9 OR 10?
09. NAME TWO OF THE FOUR AMERICAN STATES THAT SHARE A LAND BORDER WITH MEXICO?
10. WITH WHICH TELEVISION SHOW DO YOU MOST ASSOCIATE THE COUPLE IN PICTURE 2?
11. ON AVERAGE HOW MANY PEOPLE CAN FIT IN AN EMPTY BT RED TELEPHONE BOX?
12. NAME THE YEAR. AMPEX INTRODUCED THE FIRST VIDEO CASSETTE RECORDER, ROCKY MARCIANO RETIRED AS UNDEFEATED WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT BOXING CHAMPION AND MARILYN MONROE MADE HER NAME CHANGE OFFICIAL.
13. WITH WHICH TWO GROUPS DID JIMMY SOMERVILLE HAVE UK HIT SINGLES AND WITH WHICH ONE DID HE REACH No1?
14. NAME THE SPORTS STADIUM IN PICTURE 3.
15. TRUE OR FALSE - IN THE US STATE OF MONTANA THERE IS A TOWN CALLED HANNAH?
16. ‘UNDEFEATED ROOSTER ROBBERS’ CONTAINS WORDS FROM THE TITLES OF THREE MOVIES STARRING WHICH FILM STAR?
17. Unfortunately the dingbat for this question won't load via Photobucket
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN MODESTO, CALIFORNIA IN 1944, I GRADUATED FROM UNIVERSITY BEFORE BEING REJECTED BY THE US MILITARY. AFTER MY FIRST FILM FLOPPED IN 1971 I OPENED MY OWN STUDIO, GAINING RECOGNITION WITH A 1973 FILM. I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR TWO OF THE MOST SUCCESSFUL FILM SERIES EVER.
19. DURING THE FIRST EIGHT MONTHS OF HIS PRESIDENCY GEORGE W BUSH SPENT 42% OF HIS TIME – ASLEEP, ON THE GOLF COURSE, ON HOLIDAY OR ON AN AEROPLANE?
20. WHICH AMERICAN RIGHTS GROUP HAS RECENTLY ADAPTED CLASSIC CHILDREN’S STORIES TO PROMOTE ITS’ CAUSE?
21. THE ARGENTINIAN TOWN OF BARIOCHE CLAIMS HAVE MADE THE LARGEST CHOCOLATE EASTER EGG, HOW MUCH, IN LBS, DID IT WEIGH?

01. ON THIS DATE IN WHICH YEAR WERE THE TOP THREE UK SINGLES “BILLY DON’T BE A HERO” BY PAPER LACE, “THE MOST BEAUTIFUL GIRL” BY CHARLIE RICH AND TERRY JACKS’ “SEASONS IN THE SUN”?
02. IN PROFESSIONAL BOXING JAMES’ QUICK’ TILLIS WAS THE FIRST BOXER TO LAST TWELVE ROUNDS WITH WHO?
03. PORT SAID AND PORT TEWFIK LIE AT OPPOSITE ENDS OF WHICH BODY OF WATER?
04. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE GOLD PROSPECTOR IN THE “TOY STORY” SERIES OF FILMS?
05. USED MAINLY IN JAPANESE CUISINE, PANKO ARE A TYPE OF WHAT?
06. THE NEW NATIONAL LIVING WAGE WAS INTRODUCED THIS WEEK, WHAT IS THE NEW HOURLY RATE?
07. PICTURE 1 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH SINGER AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS?
08. IN THE 21st CENTURY TWO ENGLAND FOOTBALLERS HAVE BEEN NAMED IN THE WORLD CUP ALL STAR TEAMS, NAME ONE OF THEM.
09. HARVARD UNIVERSITY IS LOCATED IN A MASSACHUSETTS TOWN NAMED IN HONOUR OF WHICH ENGLISH UNIVERSITY CITY?
10. PICTURE 2 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE IDENTITY OF WHICH FILM STAR?
11. WHICH FOUR LETTER WORD CAN GO BEFORE –BACK, -FLOW AND –MERE TO FORM THREE EIGHT LETTER WORDS?
12. NAME THE YEAR. CLINT EASTWOOD WAS ELECTED MAYOR OF CARMEL, THE BBC REVIVED THE TALENT SHOW “OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS” AND OXFORD UNITED WERE THE SURPRISE WINNERS OF FOOTBALL’S MILK CUP.
13. WHICH STAGE AND SCREEN MUSICAL FOLLOWED THE ESCAPADES OF THE SEVEN PONTIPEE BROTHERS?
14. IN VOLLEYBALL HOW MANY POINTS MUST A TEAM WIN TO WIN THE FIRST SET OF A MATCH – 15, 21 OR 25?
15. PICTURE 3 GIVES A CRYPTIC CLUE TO A JOURNEY BETWEEN WHICH TWO LONDON UNDERGROUND STATIONS?
16. THE TELEVISION SERIES AND FILM “M*A*S*H” WAS SET DURING WHICH CONFLICT?
17. WHAT DOES THE DINGBAT IN PICTURE 4 REPRESENT?
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN ANCHAY, FRANCE IN 1821, AGED 13 I BEGAN A TWO YEAR TREK TO PARIS, WHERE I TRAINED AS A BOXMAKER. IN 1854 I OPENED MY FIRST SHOP SELLING TRUNKS AND LUGGAGE, EXPANDING TO LONDON IN 1885. FOLLOWING MY 1892 DEATH MY FAMOUS NAME WAS MAINTAINED BY MY SON.
19. TRUE OR FALSE – MANCHESTER CITY TRIED TO OVERTURN A FAN VOTE TO NAME A STAND AFTER CITY LEGEND COLIN BELL AS THEY FEARED IT WOULD BE CALLED ‘THE BELL END’?
20. TRUE OR FALSE - CENOSILICAPHOBIA IS THE FEAR OF AN EMPTY BEER GLASS?
21. DURING THE 2003 RUGBY WORLD CUP FINALS HOW MANY POINTS DID JONNY WILKINSON SCORE FOR ENGLAND?

Last edited by IAN B on Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
#162278 by IAN B
Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:48 am
As circumstances have changed (again) I'll return to posting weekly.
After a few easier quizzes the quizmaster fought back this week as the winning score in The Railway was only 13/20 - PM your answers.

01. IN THIS WEEK OF WHICH YEAR WERE THE UK’S TOP THREE SINGLES – “AMAZING GRACE” BY THE ROYAL SCOTS DRAGOON GUARDS, “WITHOUT YOU” BY NILSSON AND “BEG, STEAL OR BORROW” BY THE NEW SEEKERS? 1972
02. IN FEET HOW MUCH WIDER IS THE PLAYING AREA ON A DOUBLES TENNIS COURT THAN ON A SINGLES COURT – 8, 9 OR 10 FEET? 9 FEET
03. WHICH TEXAS CITY SHARES ITS’ NAME WITH THE SPANISH WORD FOR YELLOW? AMARILLO
04. PICTURE 1 SHOWS THE LOGO OF WHICH TELEVISION SHOW? "BARGAIN HUNT"
05. IN THE NAME OF THE TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMPANY “EE” WHAT DO THE INITIALS ‘EE’ STAND FOR? EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE
06. WHERE DID CHIPS BECOME COMPULSORY THIS WEEK? IN DOGS
07. IN THE 1160 LIVE SHOWS THAT HE PERFORMED WHAT DID ELVIS PRESLEY NEVER DO OR GIVE? AN ENCORE
08. NAME THE SPORTSMAN SHOWN IN HIS YOUNGER DAYS IN PICTURE 2. ROGER FEDERER
09. IN WHICH BERKSHIRE TOWN IS THE ROYAL MILITARY ACADEMY? SANDHURST
10. ‘FEAR BOYS DICK’ ARE WORDS FROM THE TITLES OF THREE MOVIES STARRING WHICH ACTOR? GREGORY PECK "Cape Fear", "Boys from Brazil" and "Moby Dick"
11. ON THE LOGO OF eBAY WHAT COLOURS, IN THE CORRECT ORDER, ARE THE FOUR LETTERS THAT COMPRISE THE COMPANY NAME? RED, BLUE, YELLOW, GREEN
12. NAME THE YEAR. BOUTROS BOUTROS GHALI BECAME SECRETARY GENERAL OF THE UNITED NATIONS, ANDREW LLOYD WEBBER RECEIVED A KNIGHTHOOD AND RUGBY UNION INCREASED THE VALUE OF A TRY TO FIVE POINTS. 1992
13. PICTURE 3 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH BAND AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS? T-REX and "20th CENTURY BOY"
14. APART FROM RED RUM, HOW MANY OTHER HORSES HAVE WON THE GRAND NATIONAL ON MORE THAN ONE OCCASION – 0, 3 OR 5? 5
15. PICTURE 4 SHOWS THE FLAGS OF WHICH TWO COUNTRIES? INDONESIA and POLAND
16. BY WHAT NICKNAME IS THE CARTON CHARACTER NORVILLE RODGERS BETTER KNOWN? SHAGGY
17. 90% OF ALL EXTINCT SPECIES WERE WHAT? BIRDS
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN TUSKAGEE, ALABAMA IN 1949, I WAS A PROMISING JUNIOR TENNIS PLAYER, WHO JOINED MY MOST SUCCESSFUL GROUP AS A SINGER AND SAXOPHINIST IN 1968. I TURNED TO SONGWRITING IN THE LATE 70s, MADE MY FILM DEBUT IN 1978 AND BEGAN A SOLO SINGING CAREER IN 1982. LIONEL RICHIE
19. A NEW TOURIST ATTRACTION IN THE CHINESE CITY OF SHANGHAI ALLOWS VISITORS TO EXPERIENCE A VIRTUAL WHAT? CREMATION
20. IN ANCIENT GREECE TO PROVE YOU FOUND SOMEONE ATTRACTIVE YOU THREW WHAT AT THEM? AN APPLE
21. IN WHAT YEAR WAS THE BEAUFORT SCALE CREATED? 1805

Image Image

Single entrant again, but a different one.....
TALLSCOT 9 (tiebreaker 1911)
Last edited by IAN B on Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
#165015 by IAN B
Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:18 am
Having navigated all the spam I found my post of Railway quizzes to bring you the latest offering. Didn't think it was that easy, but two teams managed 19/20 - PM your answers.

01. IN THIS WEEK OF WHAT YEAR WERE THE UK’S TOP THREE SINGLES – “HOT LOVE” BY T.REX, “BRIDGET THE MIDGET” BY RAY STEVENS AND “ROSE GARDEN” BY LYNN ANDERSON? 1971
02. DANNY WILLETTS HAS JUST BECOME THE FIRST EUROPEAN FOR 17 YEARS TO WIN GOLF’S MASTERS, WHO WAS THE LAST EUROPEAN WINNER? JOSE MARIA OLAZABAL
03. NAME THE CITY HIGHLIGHTED IN PICTURE 1. MELBOURNE
04. WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE FLOUR GRADER IN THE “HOMEPRIDE” TV ADVERTS? [colo=red]FRED[/color]
05. AMONTILLADO, MANZANILLA AND OLOROSO ARE ALL TYPES OF WHAT? SHERRY
06. THE LEADERS OF WHICH EUROPEAN COUNTRY THIS WEEK AGREED ON ADOPTING A NEW NAME FOR THE COUNTRY? CZECH REPUBLIC (Czechia)
07. PICTURE 2 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH BAND AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS? THE BANGLES and "MANIC MONDAY"
08. WHO WAS THE ONLY BOXER TO BEAT MIKE TYSON TWICE IN PROFESSIONAL BOUTS? EVANDER HOLYFIELD
09. WHAT TWO ANIMALS ARE ON THE COAT OF ARMS OF AUSTRALIA? EMU and KANGAROO
10. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE FICTIONAL ELEMENT THAT PROVIDES “MARVEL” CHARACTER WOLVERINE WITH HIS STRENGTH – ADAMANTIUM, CULTURIUM, DURANIUM OR EURYTHMIUM? ADAMANTIUM
11. IF YOU CUT FIVE STRAIGHT LINES ACROSS A PIZZA WHAT IS THE MAXIMUM NUMBER OF PIECES YOU COULD CREATE? 16
12. NAME THE YEAR. LIVERPOOL’S “CAVERN CLUB” FIRST OPENED ITS’ DOORS, YUL BRYNNER WON THE BEST ACTOR OSCAR AT THE 29th ACADEMY AWARDS AND ASTON VILLA WON THE LAST OF THEIR SEVEN FA CUPS? 1957
13. WHAT NATIONALITY WAS THE COMPOSER FREDERIC CHOPIN? POLISH
14. PICTURE 3 SHOWS THE LOGO OF WHICH SPORTS COMPETITION? SERIE A
15. ON 24 DECEMBER 1963 IDLEWILD AIRPORT WAS RENAMED IN HONOUR OF WHO? JOHN F KENNEDY
16. WHICH 1984 FILM SAW THE LAST SCREEN APPEARANCE OF THE ACTOR RICHARD BURTON? "NINETEEN EIGHTY FOUR"
17. WHAT DOES THE DINGBAT IN PICTURE 4 REPRESENT? EARL GREY TEA
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN KIRRIEMUIR IN 1860, I WAS A LITERATURE GRADUATE OF EDINBURGH UNIVERSITY WHO FIRST WORKED AS A JOURNALIST. MOVING ON TO WRITING THEATRE SCRIPTS, I WROTE MY FIRST NOVEL IN 1887. MY MOST FAMOUS CHILDREN’S CHARACTER FIRST APPEARED IN 1902, MAKING A STAGE DEBUT TWO YEARS LATER. I DIED IN 1937. JM BARRIE
19. WHICH OF THESE IS A SCIENTIFIC TERM FOR 1/100th OF A SECOND – FLASH, JIFFY OR TRICE? JIFFY
20. THE INDIAN CITY OF DELHI IS TO PAY DRIVERS OF THE TUK TUK BIKE TAXIS TO ACT AS WHAT – AMBULANCES, HEARSES OR CURRY DELIVERY DRIVERS? AMBULANCES
21. HOW MANY COMPETITIVE APPEARANCES DID GEOFF HURST MAKE FOR WEST HAM UNITED? 499

Image Image
Image EARLT

Again just a single entrant, but a different one.....
ROB_BOB 16 (tiebreaker 400)
Last edited by IAN B on Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#166652 by IAN B
Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:31 pm
Having negotiated my way through a liberal helping of Russian spam here's the latest offering from The Railway, where two teams score 18/20 - PM your answers.

01. NAME THE YEAR. THE EUROVISION SONG CONTEST WAS HELD OUTSIDE EUROPE FOR THE FIRST TIME, INXS GAVE THEIR FIRST PUBLIC PERFORMANCE AND THE PRETENDERS HAD THEIR ONLY UK No1 SINGLE. 1979
02. IN FEBRUARY 2005 WHICH WAS THE FIRST TEAM IN ENGLISH FOOTBALL'S PREMIER LEAGUE TO FIELD A STARTING LINE-UP CONTAINING NO ENGLISH PLAYER? ARSENAL
03. THE ANCIENT CITY OF CARTHAGE IS LOCATED IN WHICH MODERN COUNTRY? TUNISIA
04. ‘FUNNY ROMAN BREAKFAST’ ARE THREE WORDS FROM THE TITLES OF MOVIES STARRING WHICH FILM STAR? AUDREY HEPBURN
05. WHAT DOES A PALEONTOLOGIST STUDY? FOSSILS or DINOSAURS
06. WHERE DID THE QUEEN LIGHT THE FIRST OF A CHAIN OF BEACONS TO MARK HER 90th BIRTHDAY? WINDSOR CASTLE
07. PICTURE 1 GIVES CRYTPIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH BAND AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS? FLEETWOOD MAC and"TUSK"
08. SNOOKER CUES ARE TRADITIONALLY MADE FROM WHICH WOOD? ASH
09. IN WHICH COUNTRY WOULD YOU FIND THE FURTHEST POINT FROM ANY OCEAN? CHINA
10. PICTURE 2 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO WHICH TELEVISION PROGRAMME? "ONLY FOOLS AND HORSES"
11. PRIOR TO 1961 FOR WHICH CRIME COULD YOU BE PUNISHED IF YOU WERE UNSUCCESSFUL, BUT COULD NOT BE PUNISHED IF YOU WERE UNSUCCESSFUL? SUICIDE
12. NAME THE YEAR. LENINGRAD CHANGED ITS’ NAME TO ST PETERSBURG, THE LONDON MONARCHS WON THE WLAF’S INNAUGURAL WORLD BOWL AND “THE TWO RONNIES” REUNITED FOR A 20th ANNIVERSARY TV SHOW. 1991
13. IN APRIL 2015 WHO WAS THE LATEST OF THE BEATLES TO BE INDUCTED INTO THE ROCK ‘N’ ROLL HALL OF FAME AS A SOLO ARTIST? RINGO STARR
14. WHICH CITY WAS SCHEDULED TO HOST THE 1940 SUMMER OLYMPIC GAMES? TOKYO
15. NAME THE BRITISH LANDMARK FROM WHICH PICTURE 3 WAS TAKEN? TOWER BRIDGE
16. BRIAN COHEN WAS THE LEAD CHARACTER IN WHICH 1979 FILM? "MONTY PYTHON'S LIFE OF BRIAN"
17. WHAT THREE WORD PHRASE DOES THE DINGBAT IN PICTURE 4 REPRESENT? STAR CROSSED LOVERS
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN TEXAS IN 1956, I MOVED TO FRANCE TO PURSUE MY DREAM OF BECOMING A MODEL. ONE OF THE TOP MODELS OF THE LATE 70s, I MADE MY FILM DEBUT IN 1980 AND MY WEST END STAGE DEBUT IN 1990. I HAVE ALSO BEEN ONE HALF OF TWO CELEBRITY MARRIAGES. JERRY HALL
19. JOHN MULL'S GRILL IN LAS VEGAS SERVES DISHES FOR WHICH THE MAIN INGREDIENTS ARE SOURCED FROM WHERE? ROADKILL{/color]
20. RESEARCHERS AT BATH UNIVERSITY HAVE DEVELOPED A BATTERY CELL WHICH CAN BE POWERED BY WHAT? [color=red]URINE

21. PHIL MEAD HOLDS THE RECORD FOR THE MOST RUNS SCORED IN CRICKET’S COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP, HOW MANY DID HE SCORE IN TOTAL? 46268

Image Image
Image Image

Three entrants and a close contest.....
STUBEDOOBYDO 15 (tiebreaker 31989)
BUZZIE 15 (51629)
ROB_BOB 16 (10000)
Last edited by IAN B on Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#166719 by IAN B
Mon May 02, 2016 10:27 am
Either I'm getting soft or the teams are getting more knowledgeable as two teams managed 18/20 on this quiz - PM your answers.

01. NAME THE YEAR. KIKI DEE RELEASED HER FIRST SINGLE FOR THE MOTOWN LABEL, PINK FLOYD’S SID BARRETT RELEASED HIS FIRST SOLO ALBUM AND THE GRATEFUL DEAD GAVE THEIR FIRST UK PERFORMANCE. 1970
02. WHAT COLOUR ARE THE FIVE RINGS ON THE OLYMPIC FLAG? BLACK, BLUE, GREEN, RED and YELLOW
03. WHICH COUNTRY DID THE ANCIENT ROMANS CALL HIBERNIA? IRELAND
04. IN THE TELEVISION SHOW “EASTENDERS” WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE LOCAL UNDERGROUND STATION? WALFORD EAST
05. IF SOMEONE WAS CELEBRATING THEIR CRYSTAL WEDDING ANNIVERSARY FOR HOW LONG WOULD THEY HAVE BEEN MARRIED? 15 YEARS
06. WHICH ENGLISH TOWN OR CITY HAS BEEN CREDITED WITH HAVING MORE BREWERIES PER HEAD OF THE POPULATION THAN ANY OTHER? SHEFFIELD
07. PICTURE 1 GIVES CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH BAND AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS? AC/DC and "HIGHWAY TO HELL"
08. WHICH WAS THE FIRST EUROPEAN COUNTRY TO HOST FOOTBALL’S WORLD CUP FINALS? ITALY
09. NAME THE CITY FEATURED IN PICTURE 2. BARCELONA
10. ‘DIRTY LITTLE ITALIAN’ ARE THREE WORDS FROM THE TITLES OF MOVIES STARRING WHICH FILM STAR? MICHAEL CAINE
11. OLD McDONALD DECIDES TO RESTOCK HIS FARM BY BUYING SOME NEW CHICKENS AND CATTLE. BETWEEN THEM THE ANIMALS HE PURCHASES HAVE 25 HEADS AND 72 LEGS, HOW MANY CHICKENS AND HOW MANY CATTLE DOES HE BUY? 14 CATTLE & 11 CHICKENS
12. NAME THE YEAR. MARILYN MONROE SANG “HAPPY BIRTHDAY” TO PRESIDENT JOHN F KENNEDY, TRINIDAD & TOBAGO GAINED THEIR INDEPENDENCE FROM THE UK AND JOHN STEINBECK WON THE NOBEL PRIZE FOR LITERATURE. 1962
13. WHAT LETTER APPEARED TWELVE TIMES IN THE TITLE OF THE CRASH TEST DUMMIES 1994 UK HIT SINGLE? M
14. PICTURE 3 SHOWS THE PLAYING AREA FOR WHICH SPORT? RUGBY LEAGUE
15. THE VILLAGE OF GLENFIELD IS THE ADMINISTRATIVE HEADQUARTERS OF WHICH ENGLISH COUNTY? LEICESTERSHIRE
16. IN WHICH US CITY WAS THE 80s TELEVISION SHOW “DYNASTY” SET? DENVER
17. WHAT DOES THE DINGBAT IN PICTURE 4 REPRESENT? SPLIT PEA SOUP
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN LONDON IN 1933, I WORKED AS A LAB ASSISTANT WHILST EARNING A DEGREE IN BOTANY. LATER WHILST LECTURING AT DURHAM UNIVERSITY, I WROTE THE FIRST OF OVER 40 BOOKS. IN THE EARLY 80s I BEGAN A CAREER AS A TV PRESENTER, WITH MY DISTINCTIVE VOICE ALSO BEING USED IN ADVERTS AND PARODIED BY COMEDY SHOWS. DAVID BELLAMY
19. TRUE OR FALSE - IDENTICAL TWINS HAVE THE SAME FINGERPRINTS? FALSE
20. A BROOKLYN PIZZERIA HAS SOLVED THE PROBLEM OF NON-RECYCLEABLE PIZZA BOXES BY MAKING THEM OUT OF WHAT? PIZZA
21. HOW LONG, IN SECONDS, IS THE LONGEST FRAME OF PROFESSIONAL SNOOKER EVER PLAYED? 6024 SECONDS

Image Image
Image Image

Three way battle this week....
TALLSCOT 12 (tiebreaker 8700)
BUZZIE 15 (4740)
ROB_BOB 16 (18000)
Last edited by IAN B on Tue May 10, 2016 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#166725 by IAN B
Mon May 09, 2016 5:06 pm
I'm either making these quizzes too easy or there's some rampant cheating going on in The Railway 'cause this certainly isn't a 19/20 quiz - PM your answers.

01. NAME THE YEAR. ITALY WON THEIR SECOND EUROVISION SONG CONTEST, CHER RECORDED HER FIRST UK No1 SINGLE AND BOB MARLEY’S BIRTHDAY WAS FIRST CELEBRATED WITH A NATIONAL HOLIDAY IN JAMAICA. 1990
02. IN AN OLYMPIC 10000 METRES RACE HOW MANY LAPS OF THE TRACK ARE RUN? 25
03. IN NEW YORK CITY’S CENTRAL PARK THERE IS A STATUE OF THE WRITER HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN SITTING NEXT TO WHAT? A DUCKLING
04. IN THE TELEVISION SHOW “SHAMELESS” WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE LOCAL PUB? THE JOCKEY
05. WHAT TWO METALS ARE COMBINED TO MAKE BRONZE? COPPER and TIN
06. WHOSE FAMOUS SHIP WAS DISCOVERED OFF THE COAST OF RHODE ISLAND THIS WEEK? CAPT JAMES COOK
07. PICTURE 1 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH BAND AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS? LIGHTNING SEEDS and "LUCKY YOU"
08. THE LEADER OF CYCLING’S TOUR DE FRANCE WEARS A YELLOW JERSEY, BUT WHAT COLOUR JERSEY DOES THE LEADER OF THE TOUR OF BRITAIN WEAR? YELLOW
09. WHICH IS THE ONLY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD WITH THE WORD ‘EQUATOR' IN ITS’ NAME? EQUATORIAL GUINEA
10. PICTURE 2 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE IDENTITY OF WHICH FILM STAR? CLINT EASTWOOD
11. IF YOU HAD ONE NOTE AND ONE COIN OF EVERY DENOMINATION OF THE EURO CURRENCY WHAT TOTAL VALUE WOULD YOU HAVE? 888 EUROS 88 CENTS
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL COURT WAS ESTABLISHED, FIFA INTRODUCED FOOTBALL’S “TRANSFER WINDOW” AND FORMER US PRESIDENT JIMMY CARTER WON THE NOBEL PEACE PRIZE. 2002
13. IN NOVEMBER 1996 THE SOUNDTRACK OF WHICH FILM TOPPED THE UK ALBUM CHARTS? "EVITA"
14. OUT OF WHICH WOOD IS A POOL CUE TRADITIONALLY MADE? MAPLE
15. NAME THE CITY HIGHLIGHTED IN PICTURE 3. TOKYO
16. ‘GREAT GRAPE GANGS’ ARE THREE WORDS FROM THE TITLES OF MOVIES STARRING WHICH FILM STAR? LEONARDO DI CAPRIO
17. WHAT DOES THE DITLOID IN PICTURE 4 REPRESENT? 206 BONES IN THE HUMAN BODY
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN BEDFORDSHIRE IN 1980, ONE OF TWINS, I FIRST COMPETED IN MY CHOSEN SPORT AGED 9. AFTER GRADUATING FOR NORTHUMBRIA UNIVERSITY I WON MY FIRST MAJOR GOLD MEDAL IN 2005. I WENT ON TO WIN NINE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP AND THREE OLYMPIC GOLDS BEFORE RETIRING IN 2012. A CBE AND MBE, I TOOK UP MY LATEST SPORT IN 2015. VICTORIA PENDLETON
19. WHAT IS THE ONLY EDIBLE PART OF A SEA URCHIN? THE GONADS
20. LITERALLY TRANSLATED INTO ENGLISH AS ‘GLOW PEAR’, IT IS THE GERMAN WORD FOR WHAT? LIGHTBULB
21. HOW LONG, IN FEET AND INCHES, WAS LORD NELSON’S SHIP HMS VICTORY? 227 FEET 6 INCHES

Image ImageImage 206 B I T H B

Two horse race this week with a welcome return to a past competitor.....
KGLOVATT 9 (tiebreaker 110'3")
BUZZIE 10 (215'6")
#166785 by IAN B
Tue May 17, 2016 4:30 pm
To celebrate the 5th anniversary of my quiz being at The Railway I resurrected the first ever quiz, you could always just look back to page 1, but I trust you all ;-) - PM your answers

01. NAME THE YEAR. ERIC CLAPTON WAS ELECTED TO THE ROCK 'N' ROLL HALL OF FAME, DESTINY'S CHILD HAD THEIR FIRST UK No1 SINGLE AND THE GROUP ALL SAINTS DISBANDED. 2000
02. IN THE ACRONYM 'UEFA' WHAT DO THE INITIALS STAND FOR? UNION OF EUROPEAN FOOTBALL ASSOCIATIONS
03. WHAT WORD PRECEDES THE TOWN NAMES OF LEAMINGTON SPA, TUNBRIDGE WELLS AND WOOTTON BASSETT? ROYAL
04. WHICH TELEVISION PRESENTER NARRATES THE THEN NEW CBEEBIES SHOW "RAA RAA THE NOISY LION"? LORRAINE KELLY
05. WHAT IS UNUSUAL ABOUT PICTURE 1? DAVID BECKHAM IS WEARING HIS OBE ON THE WRONG SIDE (as Victoria is subtly pointing out to the paps)
06. WHO, IN MAY 2011, EXPRESSED THEIR SADNESS AT NOT BEING INVITED TO THE ROYAL WEDDING? SARAH FERGUSON - she realised just how much she could have sold the invite for
07. WITH WHAT MUSCIAL INSTRUMENT WOULD YOU ASSOCIATE THE MUSICIANS CHARLIE PARKER, JOHN COLTRANE AND KENNY GOERLICK? SAXOPHONE
08. WHICH FOOTBALL CLUBS BADGE IS SHOWN IN PICTURE 2? CRYSTAL PALACE
09. IF YOU ADDED TOGETHER THE NUMBER OF STARS ON THE AUSTRALIAN FLAG, THE NUMBER OF RIDINGS THAT COMPRISE YORKSHIRE AND THE NUMBER OF US STATES WHOSE NAMES BEGIN WITH 'M' WHAT NUMBER SHOULD YOU HAVE? 17 (6+3+8.)
10. WITH WHICH TELEVISION PROGRAMME WOULD YOU ASSOCIATE THE FORMER RUGBY PLAYER JEREMY GUSCOTT AND THE EX-FOOTBALLER JOHN FASHANU? "GLADIATORS"
11. WHICH CHEMICAL ELEMENT HAS THE SHORTEST NAME? TIN
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE FIRST LIVE EARTH CONCERTS WERE STAGED, THE FINAL EPISODE OF "GRANDSTAND" WAS TELEVISED AND THE WORLD CUP WINNING FOOTBALLER ALAN BALL DIED. 2007
13. NAME THE TWO MUSICAL LEGENDS AND THEIR BAND AS SHOWN IN PICTURE 3. RONNIE WOOD, ROD STEWART, THE FACES
14. IN WHICH SPORT MIGHT OLDER PLAYERS BE A MEMBER OF THE 3-4-5 CLUB? RUGBY UNION
15. THE FRENCH CALL IT 'LA MANCHE', WHAT DO THE BRITISH CALL IT? THE ENGLISH CHANNEL
16. BY WHAT NAME IS THE TELEVISION CHARACTER HERSCHEL KRUSTOFSKI BETTER KNOWN? KRUSTY THE CLOWN
17. WHERE WOULD YOU FIND THE SMALLEST MUSCLE IN THE HUMAN BODY? THE EAR
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN CAMBRIDGE IN 1948, I MADE MY ENTERTAINMENT DEBUT ON AUSTRALIAN TELEVISION IN HE 60s. I RECORDED MY FIRST SINGLE IN 1966 AND REPRESENTED THE UK AT THE 1974 EUROVISION SONG CONTEST, BEFORE FEATURING ON THREE UK No1s. MAKING MY ACTING DEBUT IN 1965, I AM BEST KNOWN FOR A 1978 FILM. OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN
19.. WHEN SOMALI PIRATES THREATENED TO BOARD A CRUISE SHIP WHAT DID A GERMAN PASSENGER USE TO DEFEND HIMSELF?
A DECKCHAIR
20. WHEN RETIRED SOLDIER LAI JIANSHENG CAME ACROSS EMERGENCY SERVICES TRYING TO STOP A MAN JUMPING FROM A BRIDGE HOW
DID HE HELP THEM? HE PUSHED THE JUMPER OFF THE BRIDGE
21. ZAGREB NOW HOLDS THE RECORD FOR THE BIGGEST 'SMILEY' COMPRISED OF PEOPLE HOLDING UP COLOURED PAPER, HOW MANY PEOPLE TOOK PART? 765

Image Image Image

No-one entered this week. :-(
#166919 by IAN B
Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:40 pm
Been a little busy so I'll post my last two quizzes complete with answers, The Railway winners scored 19/20 and 17/20.
Hopefully normal service will be resumed next Monday.

01. NAME THE YEAR. REPRESENTED BY THE ALLISONS, THE UK CAME SECOND IN THE EUROVISION SONG CONTEST, THE COUNTRY MUSIC HALL OF FAME WAS CREATED AND BOTH MEMBERS OF TEARS FOR FEARS WERE BORN. 1961
02. HIBERNIANS FOOTBALL CLUB IS A SUCCESSFUL TEAM IN WHICH EUROPEAN COUNTRY’S LEAGUE? MALTA
03. THE TENNESSEE TOWN OF LYNCHBURG IS BEST KNOWN FOR THE PRODUCTION OF WHAT? JACK DANIELS
04. FROM THE WORLD OF ENTERTAINMENT NAME THE TWO PEOPLE SHOWN IN PICTURE 1. WILLIAM HANNA and JOSEPH BARBERA
05. IF POSTMORTEM MEANS AFTER THE TIME OF DEATH, WHAT WORD MEANS AT OR CLOSE TO THE TIME OF DEATH? PERIMORTEM
06. THE WORLD’S LARGEST CRUISE LINER MADE ITS’ FIRST VISIT TO THE UK THIS WEEK, BUT WHAT IS IT CALLED? “HARMONY OF THE SEAS”
07. IN THE 80s THE BAND CHICAGO HAD TWO UK TOP TEN HITS WHOS’ TITLES BOTH BEGAN WITH THE SAME WORD, WHAT IS THAT WORD? HARD
08. PICTURE 2 SHOWS THE BADGE OF WHICH FOOTBALL CLUB? VALENCIA
09. SWITZERLAND IS DIVIDED INTO REGIONS THAT ARE CALLED WHAT? CANTONS
10. IN THE TELEVISION CARTOON “SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS” WHAT IS THE NAME OF SPONGEBOB’S PET SNAIL? GARY
11. IF BLACK IS 1, RED IS 10 AND YELLOW IS 20, WHAT COLOUR IS 30? GREEN (blade fuses)
12. NAME THE YEAR. “ANTIQUES ROADSHOW” MADE ITS’ UK TELEVISION DEBUT, THE LAST BRITISH SERVICEMAN LEFT THE ISLAND OF MALTA AND THE ISLE OF MAN CELEBRATED ITS’ PARLIAMENT’S MILLENIUM. 1979
13. PICTURE 3 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH GROUP AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS? THE FOUNDATIONS and “BUILD ME UP BUTTERCUP”
14. CURRENT F1 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP LEADER NICO ROSBERG RACES UNDER THE GERMAN FLAG, BUT WHICH COUNTRY DID HIS FATHER REPRESENT WHEN HE WON THE TITLE? FINLAND
15. IN 1620 THE PILGRIM FATHERS CREATED THEIR FIRST COLONY IN WHICH CURRENT US STATE? MASSACHUSETTS
16. IN THE TV CARTOON “TOP CAT” WHAT WAS THE FIRST NAME OF OFFICER DIBBLE – ARTIE, BARNEY OR CHARLIE? CHARLIE
17. WHAT DOES THE DINGBAT IN PICTURE 4 REPRESENT? COMING DOWN THE HOME STRETCH
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN ASHFORD, KENT IN 1938, I WAS A RAF JET PILOT BEFORE JOINING THE REUTERS NEWS AGENCY IN 1961. I MOVED TO THE BBC IN 1965 AND IT WAS THERE THAT I WROTE MY FIRST BOOK IN 1969. THE FIRST OF MY MANY NOVELS WAS PUBISHED IN 1971. I WAS AWARDED THE CBE IN 1997. FREDERICK FORSYTH
19. THE HEBRIDIAN ISLAND OF EASDALE HOLDS THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS IN WHAT – HAGGIS THROWING, HOPSCOTCH OR STONE SKIMMING? STONE SKIMMING
20. THE CHINESE DRINK TEZHI SANBIAN JIU CONTAINS THREE TYPES OF WHAT? PENIS
21. IN SECONDS WHAT IS THE RECORD WINNING TIME FOR MEN IN NEW YORK CITY’S MARATHON? 7506 SECONDS

ImageImage

01. NAME THE YEAR. PINK FLOYD PERFORMED THEIR FIRST QUADROPHONIC GIG, JIMI HENDRIX FIRST SET FIRE TO HIS GUITAR ON STAGE AND ARETHA FRANKLIN FIRST RECORDED “RESPECT”. 1967
02. IN THE FIRST YEAR OF ENGLISH FOOTBALL’S PREMIER LEAGUE THERE WERE FIVE SCOTTISH MANAGERS, APART FROM ALEX FERGUSON NAME TWO OF THEM. KENNY DALGLISH, GEORGE GRAHAM, IAN PORTEFIELD and GRAHAM SOUNESS
03. THE CITY OF SKOPJE IS THE CAPITAL OF WHICH EASTERN EUROPEAN COUNTRY? MACEDONIA
04. ‘ANGELS PRIVATE TOY’ ARE THREE WORDS FROM THE TITLES OF MOVIES STARRING WHICH FILM STAR? TOM HANKS
05. IN WALES IN ADDITION TO ‘L’ PLATES LEARNER DRIVERS MAY ALSO DISPLAY PLATES BEARING WHAT LETTER? D for dysgwr
06. WHICH HIGH STREET CHAIN HAS RECENTLY REVERTED TO ITS’ 1968 LOGO? THE CO-OP
07. PICTURE 1 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE IDENTITY OF WHICH GROUP AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS? DETROIT EMERALDS and “FEEL THE NEED IN ME”
08. WHAT IS THE REAL FIRST NAME OF THE SKI JUMPER EDDIE “THE EAGLE” EDWARDS? MICHAEL
09. IN WHICH ENGLISH COUNTY IS THE NATIONAL MEMORIAL ARBORETUM? STAFFORDSHIRE
10. PICTURE 2 GIVES CLUES TO THE IDENTITY OF WHICH ACTOR? TELLY SAVALAS
11. A GRAVE DIGGER WAS FACED WITH DIGGING A GRAVE 3 YARDS LONG, 6 FEET DEEP AND 5 FEET 6 INCHES WIDE HOW MANY CUBIC FEET OF EARTH DID HE REMOVE? 297 CUBIC FEET
12. NAME THE YEAR. BRITISH AIRWAYS WAS PRIVATISED, ARETHA FRANKLIN BECAME THE FIRST WOMAN ELECTED INTO THE ROCK ‘N’ ROLL HALL OF FAME AND THE DOCKLANDS LIGHT RAILWAY WAS OFFCIALLY OPENED. 1987
13. BODHRAN, DJEMBE AND TUPAN ARE ALL FORMS OF WHICH MUSICAL INSTRUMENT? DRUM
14. WHAT LINKS FORMER BRITISH HEAVYWEIGHT BOXING CHAMPIONS JOE BUGNER, HERBIE HIDE AND DERECK CHISORA? THEY WEREN’T BORN IN BRITAIN
15. PICTURE 3 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO A LONDON UNDERGROUND JOURNEY BETWEEN WHICH TWO STATIONS? BUCKHURST HILL to GRANGE HILL
16. FAMOUS FOR “WALLACE & GROMIT” AND “CREATURE COMFORTS” AARDMAN ANIMATIONS ARE BASED IN WHICH ENGLISH CITY? BRISTOL
17. WHAT DOES THE DINGBAT IN PICTURE 4 REPRESENT. DO IT BY THE NUMBERS
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN PIACENZA, ITALY IN 1934, I ORIGINALLY STUDIED MEDICINE BEFORE JOINING THE ARMY. AFTER MY DISCHARGE I WORKED AS A WINDOW DRESSER AND SALESMAN BEFORE BECOMING A DESIGNER IN THE MID 60s. I STARTED MY OWN FASHION COMPANY IN 1975, EXPANDING TO OTHER PRODUCTS IN THE 80s. A KEEN SPORTS FAN, I HAVE DESIGNED MANY OUTFITS FOR SPORTS TEAMS. GIORGIO ARMANI
19. CONNOR HAMER WAS REFUSED SERVICE AT A McDONALD’S DRIVE THRU IN BURY, GREATER MANCHESTER BECAUSE HE WAS ON OR IN WHAT? A HORSE AND CART
20. THE UNIVERSITY OF EAST ANGLIA IS TO BAN STUDENTS FROM THROWING WHAT? THEIR MORTARBOARDS AT GRADUATION CEREMONIES
21. ACCORDING TO GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS, IN MILES, WHAT IS THE LONGEST DISTANCE RUN BY A MAN IN 24 HOURS? 188.590 MILES

DO IT 1 2 3 4 5
#166938 by IAN B
Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:32 pm
As I'm shortly off on one of my Cornish Cider Odysseys I'll leave you with this one, on which three Railway teams scored 15/20 - PM your answers.

01. NAME THE YEAR. THE MUSICAL “WEST SIDE STORY” MADE ITS’ BROADWAY DEBUT, JERRY LEE LEWIS HAD HIS ONLY UK No1 SINGLE AND TOMMY STEELE HAD HIS ONLY UK No1 ALBUM. 1957
02. IN SPEEDWAY WHICH COUNTRY HAS WON THE WORLD TEAM CUP OR WORLD CUP ON THE MOST OCCASIONS? DENMARK
03. CANADA HAS BORDERS ON HOW MANY OCEANS? 3
04. WHICH WAS THE FIRST FILM PRODUCED BY PIXAR STUDIOS TO WIN THE ACADEMY AWARD FOR BEST ANIMATED FILM? "FINDING NEEMO"
05. PICTURE 1 SHOWS THE LOGO OF WHAT? APOLLO 8
06. THIS WEEK SAW THE CENTENARY COMMEMORATIONS OF WORLD WAR I’S BIGGEST SEA BATTLE, WHAT WAS IT CALLED? JUTLAND
07. BRIAN SETZER, LEE ROCKER AND SLIM JIM PHANTOM WERE MEMBERS OF WHICH 80s GROUP WHO REVIVED A 50s MUSICAL STYLE? THE STRAY CATS
08. NAME THE SPORTS STADIUM SHOWN IN PICTURE 2. SANTIAGO BERNABEU STADIUM
09. NORTH YORKSHIRE SHARES COASTAL BORDERS WITH WHICH TWO ENGLISH COUNTIES? DURHAM and EAST YORKSHIRE
10. THE POLICE DRAMA “55 DEGREES NORTH” WAS SET IN WHICH BRITISH CITY? NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE
11. FRED WENT INTO A BANK TO CASH A CHEQUE AND WAS MISTAKENLY GIVEN THE POUNDS FIGURE IN PENCE AND THE PENCE FIGURE IN POUNDS. IT WAS ONLY WHEN HE DROPPED 5 PENCE INTO A CHARITY BOX THAT HE REALISED THAT HE NOW HAD TWICE AS MUCH MONEY AS HE SHOULD HAVE. WHAT WAS THE CORRECT VALUE OF THE CHEQUE? £31.63
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE SOVIET UNION JOINED THE LEAGUE OF NATIONS, FLASH GORDON MADE HIS FIRST COMIC STRIP APPEARANCE AND DONALD DUCK MADE HIS CARTOON DEBUT. 1934
13. PICTURE 3 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH SINGER AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS? BILLY IDOL and "WHITE WEDDING"
14. IN THE WORLD RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP WHICH CAR MANUFACTURER HAS WON THE MOST CONSTRUCTORS’ CHAMPIONSHIPS? LANCIA
15. IF YOU ADDED TOGETHER THE NUMBER OF US STATES WHOS’ NAMES BEGIN WITH THE LETTER ‘N’ AND THE NUMBER OF EUROPEAN COUNTRIES WHOS’ NAMES BEGIN WITH THE LETTER ‘B’ WHAT NUMBER SHOULD YOU HAVE? 12 (8+4)
16. ‘PELICAN BLOOD PIZZA’ ARE THREE WORDS FROM THE TITLES OF MOVIES STARRING WHICH FILM STAR? JULIA ROBERTS
17. THE DINGBAT IN PICTURE 4 REPRESENTS WHAT THREE WORD PHRASE? I STAND CORRECTED
18. WHO AM I? I WAS BORN IN BRISTOL IN 1965, BUT GREW UP IN LEEDS. DESPITE AN ‘E’ GRADE IN A-LEVEL ART, I STUDIED FINE ART AT COLLEGE. I PRODUCED MY FIRST DISPLAY IN 1988 AND MY MOST TALKED ABOUT ARTWORK IN 1991. I HAVE ALSO PRODUCED ONE OF THE THREE DESIGNS FOR THE BRIT AWARD. DAMIEN HIRST
19. TRUE OR FALSE – A BEEFALO IS CROSS BETWEEN AN AMERICAN BUFFALO AND A COW? TRUE
20. ACCORDING TO A RECENT SURVEY THE WOMEN OF LIVERPOOL ARE MORE LIKELY TO HAVE A FAKE WHAT? TAN
21. ACCORDING TO GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS THE MOST BAKED BEANS EATEN WITH A COCKTAIL STICK IN FIVE MINUTES IS? 271

ImageImage
Image Image

At least one person managed to find my quiz amongst all the spam.....
kglovatt 9 (tiebreaker 491)
Last edited by IAN B on Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#166999 by IAN B
Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:19 pm
Fully refreshed and full of cider after a week in Cornwall I returned with this quiz in which two Railway teams scored 17/20 - PM your answers.

01. NAME THE YEAR. BUDDY HOLLY HAD HIS LAST UK TOP TEN SINGLE, PATSY CLINE PERFORMED HER FINAL CONCERT AND THE SPRINGFIELDS, INCLUDING SINGER DUSTY SPRINGFIELD, DISBANDED.
02. IN THE HISTORY OF SPEEDWAY’S WORLD TEAM CUP AND WORLD CUP ONE COUNTRY HAS WON THE TROPHY ON JUST ONE OCCASION, WHICH COUNTRY?
03. PICTURE 1 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO A LONDON UNDERGROUND JOURNEY BETWEEN WHICH TWO STATIONS?
04. WHICH CHILDREN’S LITERARY, TV AND FILM CHARACTER CELEBRATES TWO BIRTHDAYS, ON 25th JUNE AND 25th DECEMBER?
05. IN THE CARD GAME “UNO” HOW MANY CARDS ARE THERE IN A STANDARD PACK – 52, 84, 108 OR 156?
06. BRITISH ASTRONAUT TIM PEAKE RETURNED TO EARTH THIS WEEK, BUT IN WHICH COUNTRY DID HIS CAPSULE LAND?
07. WHICH MUSICAL INSTRUMENT, A TYPE OF TUBA, WAS NAMED AFTER THE BANDLEADER AND COMPOSER WHO ASKED FOR ITS’ DESIGN?
08. NAME THE TWO SPORTSMEN IN PICTURE 2.
09. THE CITY OF DIJON IS THE ADMINISTRATIVE HEADQUARTERS OF WHICH FRENCH WINE PRODUCING REGION?
10. ‘EVIL YOUNG WILLY’ ARE THREE WORDS FROM THE TITLES OF MOVIES STARRING WHICH FILM STAR?
11. AN UNSUCCESSFUL PERSON MAY OFTEN SEE A PURLICUE, WHERE ON THE HUMAN BODY IS IT?
12. NAME THE YEAR. POPE JOHN PAUL II WAS SHOT, THE FIRST SAN MARINO F1 GRAND PRIX WAS STAGED AND THE FIRST RECORDED GAME OF PAINTBALL WAS PLAYED.
13. PICTURE 3 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH GROUP AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS?
14. WHO, AT THE AGE OF 46, WAS THE OLDEST WINNER OF GOLF’S US MASTERS?
15. IN 1496 BRISTOL-BASED EXPLORER JOHN CABOT RETURNED TO ENGLAND WITH NEWS OF A NEWLY DISCOVERED LAND, WHAT WAS IT NAMED?
16. IN “THUNDERBIRDS” WHAT WAS THE NUMBER PLATE OF LADY PENELOPE’S ROLLS ROYCE?
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN BIRMINGHAM IN 1923, I AM A SANDHURST GRADUATE WHO SERVED IN THE LATTER STAGES OF WWII. AFTER THE WAR I WORKED IN ADVERTISING UNTIL 1982, BUT I BEGAN BROADCASTING IN 1948. AFTER 20 YEARS AS A DISCTINCTIVE VOICE OF THE BBC, I MOVED TO ITV, ONLY TO RETURN TO THE BBC FOR SIX YEARS PRIOR TO MY SEMI-RETIREMENT.
19. ACCORDING TO THE CANAL & RIVER TRUST 25% OF ADULTS AND 30% OF CHILDREN CAN NOT RECOGNISE THE SOUND OF WHAT?
20. IN 2015 MEXICO CITY’S UNDERGROUND SYSTEM OFFERED FREE TICKETS TO PASSENGERS WHO DID TEN WHAT – HAIL MARYS, SQUATS OR VERSES OF THE MEXICAN NATIONAL ANTHEM?
21. WHAT WAS THE FASTEST SPEED, IN MPH, FELIX BAUMGARTNER ACHIEVED WHEN HE DID HIS 2012 SKYDIVE FROM THE STRATOSPHERE

Image Image Image Image
#167013 by IAN B
Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:10 pm
Not sure if it's due to the amount of spam and other random posters, but I've been getting less and less replies over the last few weeks, culminating in none this week. I'm going to continue to post the quizzes complete with answers for anyone who wants to "borrow" them, but, unless I receive messages requesting otherwise, I'll not be posting them as a weekly competition.

This week's saw two Railway teams score 16/20.

01. NAME THE YEAR. IKE AND TINA TURNER WERE ELECTED INTO THE ROCK ‘N’ ROLL HALL OF FAME, MICHAEL JACKSON SIGNED A $1 BILLION DEAL WITH SONY AND VIC REEVES FEATURED ON THE WONDER STUFF’S “DIZZY”
02. FOR WHICH TEAM WAS JAMES HUNT DRIVING WHEN HE WON THE F1 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP?
McLAREN
03. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING IS THE NAME OF A NEW ZEALAND GROUP OF ISLANDS – FOX & HOUNDS, HEN & CHICKENS OR ROSE & CROWN?
HEN & CHICKENS
04. WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE FORT IN THE CHILDREN’S TELEVSION SHOW “CAMBERWICK GREEN”?
PIPPIN FORT
05. ON A GERMAN WINE LABEL WHAT DOES THE WORD “SEKT” MEAN?
SPARKLING
06. IN THIS WEEK’S EU REFERENDUM WHICH WAS THE FIRST MAINLAND DISTRICT TO ANNOUNCE ITS’ RESULT?
NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE
07. PICTURE 1 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH BAND AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS?
SHED 7 and “CHASING RAINBOWS”
08. TRELAWNY’S ARMY IS THE NICKNAME OF THE SUPPORTERS OF A TEAM IN WHICH SPORT AND FROM WHERE?
CORNISH RUGBY UNION
09. IN TERMS OF POPULATION WHAT IS THE SECOND LARGEST CITY IN POLAND?
KRAKOW
10. 1N 1998 VINCE VAUGHAN PLAYED THE LEAD CHARACTER IN A REMAKE OF WHICH CLASSIC 1960 FILM?
“PSYCHO”
11. WHAT TWO THINGS ARE MISSING FROM THE SEQUENCE IN PICTURE 2?
ME and LA
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE AUSTRALIAN DOLLAR WAS INTRODUCED, THE VANS SHOE COMPANY WAS FOUNDED AND THE USA CONDUCTED ITS’ FIRST ORBIT OF THE MOON.
13. ONE SINGER AND ONE BAND JOINTLY HOLD THE RECORD OF HAVING 17 UK TOP TEN SINGLES WITHOUT REACHING No1, NAME ONE OF THEM.
JANET JACKSON and BON JOVI
14. IN 1873 THE HURLINGHAM CLUB IN LONDON ESTABLISHED THE RULES FOR WHICH SPORT?
POLO
15. PICTURE 3 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO A LONDON UNDERGROUND JOURNEY BETWEEN WHICH TWO STATIONS?
BAKER STREET and CLAPHAM NORTH
16. THE 70s SITCOM “THE GOOD LIFE” WAS SET IN WHICH BOROUGH OF LONDON?
SURBITON
YOU ARE OUT OF YOUR MIND
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN OKLAHOMA IN 1940, I SERVED IN THE US AIR FORCE IN KOREA AND IT WAS WHILST THERE THAT I DEVELOPED AN INTEREST IN MARTIAL ARTS. OPENING MY OWN KARATE SCHOOL IN 1962, I DEVELOPED MY OWN MARTIAL ART BEFORE MAKING MY FILM DEBUT IN 1969. I HAD MY FIRST STARRING ROLE IN 1977 BEFORE TURNING TO TV ACTING IN THE 80s.
CHUCK NORRIS
19. THE UNIVERSITY OF SUSSEX HAS DISCOVERED THAT WHAT ONLY USES TWO
BRAIN CELLS WHEN MAKING COMPLEX DECISIONS – A GOLDFISH, A SNAIL OR BORIS JOHNSON?
A SNAIL
20. TRUE OR FALSE – THE FIRST SPEEDOS SWIMMING TRUNKS WERE KNITTED OUT OF WOOL?
TRUE
21. HOW LONG, IN FEET AND INCHES, IS THE LONGEST CLASS OF SUBMARINE IN THE WORLD?
574 FEET 2 INCHES

ImageImage?ImageImage?Image

#167055 by IAN B
Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:39 am
As no-one requested a return to competition quizzes :-( I'll continue to post them complete with answers.
This one surprisingly saw two teams score 20/20 in The Railway.

01. NAME THE YEAR. AVRIL LAVIGNE WAS BORN, JACKIE WILSON DIED AND ELTON JOHN MARRIED.
02. IN THE LATE 60s AND EARLY 70s FRENCHMAN JEAN-CLAUDE KILLY WAS A MAJOR NAME IN WHICH SPORT?
ALPINE SKIING
03. THE PALK STRAIT SEPARATES WHICH TWO ASIAN COUNTRIES?
INDIA and SRI LANKA
04. WHICH FAMOUS PERSON HAS BEEN PLAYED IN FILMS BY SIMON WARD, ALBERT FINNEY, BRENDAN GLEESON AND TIMOTHY SPALL?
WINSTON CHURCHILL
05.. PICTURE 1 SHOWS THE LOGO OF WHAT?
FLICKR
06. WHICH BAND WERE THE HEADLINE ACT ON THE CLOSING NIGHT OF THE 2016 GLASTONBURY FESTIVAL?
COLDPLAY
07. BY WHAT NICKNAME WAS THE JAZZ MUSICIAN JOHN BIRKS GILLESPIE BETTER KNOWN?
DIZZY
08. NAME THE TWO SPORTS STADIA SHOWN IN PICTURE 2.
HIGHBURY and THE EMIRATES
09. NAME ONE OF THE TWO LANDLOCKED COUNTRIES IN SOUTH AMERICA.
BOLIVIA and PARAGUAY
10. IN THE YOGI BEAR CARTOONS WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE PARK RANGER?
RANGER SMITH
11. 90% OF THE RUNNERS WHO STARTED A MARATHON COMPLETED THE COURSE. 20% OF THE FINISHERS WERE WOMEN AND 180 WOMEN FINISHED. HOW MANY PEOPLE STARTED THE RACE?
12. NAME THE YEAR. AUSTRALIA CARRIED OUT ITS’ LAST HANGING OF A WOMAN PRISONER, THE FIRST NBA ALL-STAR GAME WAS PLAYED AND THE ROYAL FESTIVAL HALL WAS OPENED.
13. PICTURE 3 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH ACT AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS?
HALL & OATES and “MANEATER”
14. DURING THEIR SUCCESSFUL 2015-16 PREMIER LEAGUE CAMPAIGN WHICH WAS THE ONLY TEAM AGAINST WHOM LEICESTER CITY GAINED NO POINTS?
ARSENAL
15. IN WHICH CITY WAS THE RMS TITANIC BUILT?
BELFAST
16. JACK DAWSON AND ROSE BUKATER WERE THE MAIN CHARACTERS IN WHICH OSCAR-WINNING FILM?
“TITANIC”
HEATWAVE
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN ST LOUIS, MISSOURI IN 1926, IT WAS WHILST SERVING A PRISON SENTENCE FOR ARMED ROBBERY THAT I JOINED MY FIRST BAND. IN THE EARLY 50s WHILST WORKING IN SEVERAL JOBS I SUPPLEMENTED MY INCOME IN LOCAL BANDS. I TOPPED THE US R’N’B CHARTS IN 1955 BEFORE HAVING MY ONLY No1 SINGLE IN 1972. I AM STILL A REGULAR PERFORMER.
CHUCK BERRY
19. THE FRONT DOOR OF “THE HATCHET” PUBLIC HOUSE IN BRISTOL IS REPUTED TO BE COVERED WITH WHAT?
HUMAN SKIN
20. DURING THE EU REFERENDUM BREXIT SUPPORTERS WERE GIVING AWAY WHAT PRODUCT BEARING THE SLOGAN “IT’S RISKIER TO STAY IN”?
CONDOMS
21. HOW LONG, IN FEET AND INCHES, WERE THE HINDENBURG AIRSHIPS?
804 FEET

#167182 by IAN B
Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:27 pm
The last two weeks saw The Railway's regular quizzers struggle a little more with the winners scoring 15/20 on both of these quizzes.

01. NAME THE YEAR. THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY HAD THEIR FIRST UK TOP TEN SINGLE, ELO GAVE THEIR FIRST LIVE PERFORMANCE AND THE MUSICAL “GREASE” MADE ITS’ BROADWAY DEBUT. 1972
02. IN FOOTBALL’S WORLD CUP ONLY TWO HOST NATIONS HAVE FINISHED SECOND, NAME ONE OF THEM. BRAZIL (1950) and SWEDEN (1958)
03. IN NORTHERN IRELAND ALL THE POSTCODES CONTAIN WHICH TWO LETTERS? BT
04. IN THE CHILDREN’S TELEVISION SHOW “BAGPUSS” WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE WOODPECKER? PROFESSOR YAFFLE
05. THE WORLD LEADER OF THE SALVATION ARMY USES WHICH ARMY RANK AS THEIR TITLE? GENERAL
06. THE SPACE CRAFT “JUNO” THIS WEEK COMPLETED A FIVE YEAR MISSION TO REACH WHICH PLANET? JUPITER
07. PICTURE 1 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH GROUP AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS? APOLLO 4:40 and “STOP THE ROCK”
08. IN THE SPORT OF THREE DAY EVENTING WHICH IS THE FIRST ELEMENT OF THE COMPETITION? DRESSAGE
09. NUMBER 1, OBSERVATORY CIRCLE, WASHINGTON DC IS THE OFFICIAL RESIDENCE OF WHOM? THE AMERICAN VICE-PRESIDENT
10. NAME THE OSCAR WINNING ACTOR IN PICTURE 2. STAN LAUREL
11. FRED SETS OFF AT 0915 HOURS TO MAKE THE 174 MILE DRIVE TO LONDON AND COMPLETES THE JOURNEY AT AN AVERAGE SPEED OF 40MPH. HE BEGINS THE RETURN JOURNEY AT 2115 HOURS AND MANAGES AN AVERAGE SPEED OF 60MPH. WHAT IS HIS AVERAGE SPEED FOR THE ROUND TRIP? 48MPH
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE MODERN DESIGN OF “LEGO” WAS PATENTED, “PIZZA HUT” WAS FOUNDED AND BRITAIN AND ICELAND CONTESTED THE FIRST COD WAR. 1958
13. THE DUBLINERS’ SONG “DIRTY OLD TOWN” WAS INSPIRED BY WHICH ENGLISH CITY? SALFORD
14. AT THE 2015 WORLD ATHLETICS CHAMPIONSHIPS GREAT BRITAIN WON FOUR GOLD MEDALS, NAME ONE OF THE WINNERS. JESSICA ENNIS-HILL, MO FARAH (2) and GREG RUTHERFORD
15. NAME THE ISLAND HIGHLIGHTED IN PICTURE 3. TAIWAN
16. ELLEN RIPLEY WAS THE MAIN CHARACTER IS WHICH SERIES OF FILMS? THE “ALIEN” FILMS
17. WHAT DOES THE DITLOID IN PICTURE 4 REPRESENT? 3 RIDINGS IN THE COUNTY OF YORKSHIRE
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN KENSINGTON IN 1866, MY CHILDHOOD SUMMER HOLIDAYS IN SCOTLAND INSPIRED MY LOVE OF NATURE. I DESIGNED CHRISTMAS CARDS BEFORE SELF-PUBLISHING MY FIRST BOOK IN 1901. DESPITE MOVING TO THE LAKE DISTRICT AND TAKING UP FARMING, I CONTINUED TO WRITE CHILDRENS STORIES. I DIED IN 1943. BEATRIX POTTER
19. ACCORDING TO RESEARCH, ON AVERAGE AN AMERICAN WOMAN WILL, DURING HER LIFETIME, SWALLOW 4LBS OF WHAT? LIPSTICK
20. TRUE OR FALSE – THE REFEREE OF THE 1878 FA CUP FINAL WAS A MR BASTARD? TRUE
21. HOW LONG, IN KILOMETRES, IS EUROPE’S LONGEST RIVER? 3692KMS

Image Image Image 3 R I T C O Y

01. NAME THE YEAR. BOB DYLAN RELEASED HIS DEBUT ALBUM, “EASTENDERS" ACTRESS WENDY RICHARD FEATURED ON A UK No1 SINGLE AND THE MASHED POTATO BECAME A POPULAR DANCE CRAZE. 1962
02. IN THE 40 YEARS THAT TENNIS HAS HAD WORLD RANKINGS WHO IS THE ONLY BRITISH PLAYER TO HAVE TOPPED A RANKINGS CHART? JAMIE MURRAY
03. THE VISTULA IS THE LONGEST RIVER IN WHICH COUNTRY? POLAND
04. WHAT WAS THE REAL FIRST NAME OF THE ENTERTAINER BING CROSBY? HARRY
05. WHICH COMPANY IS THE USA’S LARGEST MANUFACTURER OF CHOCOLATE? HERSHEY’S
06. THERESA MAY HAS JUST BECOME THE PRIME MINISTER, BUT FOR WHICH CONSTITUENCY IS SHE A MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT? MAIDENHEAD
07. WHAT WAS THE FIRST NAME OF THE COMPOSER HANDEL, BEST KNOWN FOR HIS ORATORIO “MESSIAH”? GEORGE
08. NAME THE SPORTS STAR SHOWN IN THEIR YOUNGER DAYS IN PICTURE 1. ANDRE AGASSI
09. THE CHINOOK HELICOPTER TOOK ITS’ NAME FROM A WARM, DRY WIND THAT BLOWS IN WHICH RANGE OF MOUNTAINS? THE ROCKY MOUNTAINS
10. ON THE TELEVISION GAMESHOW “BULLSEYE” THE LOSERS WON “BFH”, WHAT WAS “BFH”? BUS FARE HOME
11. BERT AND ERNIE DECIDE TO HAVE A GAME OF “SCRABBLE”. BERT HAS THE FIRST GO AND REALISES HE CAN SPELL ‘RAILWAY’. WHAT IS THE MAXIMUM SCORE HE CAN ACHIEVE WITH THIS WORD? 84 (R1+A1+I1+L1+(W4x2)+A1+Y4+double word score+50)
12. NAME THE YEAR. MORECAMBE & WISE FIRST PERFORMED TOGETHER, THE FIRST BRITISH JET AIRCRAFT WAS BUILT AND “CHEERIOS” BREAKFAST CEREAL WAS RELEASED AS “CHERRIOATS”. 1941
13. PICTURE 2 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH GROUP AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS? OTTOWAN and “DISCO”
14. THE TERM “TO WIN HANDS DOWN” ORIGINATED IN WHICH GAME OR SPORT? HORSE RACING
15. NAME THE ENGLISH COUNTY IN WHICH YOU WOULD FIND THE LANDMARK IN PICTURE 3. OXFORDSHIRE
16. “LOVE AFTERNOON DICK” ARE THREE WORDS FROM THE TITLES OF MOVIES STARRING WHICH FILM STAR? AL PACINO
17. WHAT DOES THE DINGBAT IN PICTURE 4 REPRESENT? HEADQUARTERS
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN SURREY IN 1938, I FIRST APPEARED ON TELEVISION IN THE 50s ON THE BBC’S FIRST HOLIDAY PROGRAMME. I LATER BECOME A REGIONAL NEWS REPORTER BEFORE HOSTING CURRENT AFFAIRS, DOCUMENTARY AND POLITICS SHOWS. SINCE 1994 I HAVE HOSTED ONE OF THE BBC’S LONGEST RUNNING PROGRAMMES. DAVID DIMBLEBY
19. “THE GOLDEN SPURTLE” IS AWARDED ANNUALLY TO THE WORLD CHAMPION OF WHAT? MAKING PORRIDGE
20. TRUE OR FALSE – TO HAVE YOUR PICTURE TAKEN BY THE FIRST EVER CAMERA YOU WOULD HAVE HAD TO SIT STILL FOR FOUR HOURS? FALSE – it was eight hours
21. HOW MANY EPISODES OF THE 1960s TELEVISION WESTERN “THE VIRGINIAN” WERE MADE? 249

Image Image Image Image