• Topic Title

• Topic description
Challenge fellow quizzers by posting your favourite questions and quizzes here.

Moderators: playgirl, JUS, rodbox

#167257 by IAN B
Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:30 am
After a week off The Railway Quiz returned with this offering on which the winner scored a creditable 17/20.

01. NAME THE YEAR. JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE WAS BORN, BILL HALEY DIED AND RINGO STARR MARRIED THE ACTRESS BARBARA BACH. 1981
02. IN THE 1966 FIFA WORLD CUP FINALS HOW MANY OF ENGLAND’S 22 MAN SQUAD PLAYED ALL OR PART OF A GAME – 12, 15 OR 18? 15
03. IN 1867 WHAT DID TSAR ALEXANDER II OF RUSSIA SELL TO THE USA? ALASKA
04. WHAT IS NOTABLE ABOUT THE FILM “WINGS” – IT WAS THE FIRST FILM MADE IN SURROUND SOUND, IT WAS THE FIRST FILM TO WIN THE BEST PICTURE OSCAR OR IT WAS THE FIRST FILM TO FEATURE NUDITY? FIRST FILM TO WIN THE BEST PICTURE OSCAR
05. MADE IN 1790, THE CELERIFERE WAS THE FIRST WHAT? BICYCLE
06. WHICH COMPANY THIS WEEK ANNOUNCED THAT IT WAS TO CONSIDER USING DRONES TO MAKE ITS’ DELIVERIES? AMAZON
07. PICTURE 1 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH GROUP AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS? THE BEATLES and “PAPERBACK WRITER”
08. IN FOOTBALL’S 1966 WORLD CUP WHICH COUNTRY WON THE GROUP WHOSE GAMES WERE PLAYED AT HILLSBOROUGH AND VILLA PARK? WEST GERMANY
09. THE CITY OF DARWIN IS THE STATE CAPITAL OF WHICH AUSTRALIAN STATE? NORTHERN TERRITORY
10. PICTURE 2 SHOWS A SCENE FROM WHICH FILM? “THE FUGITIVE”
11. ON A STANDARD UK “MONOPOLY” BOARD HOW MUCH WOULD YOU HAVE TO SPEND TO BUY THE TWO CHEAPEST PROPERTIES, THE MOST EXPENSIVE AND ALL FOUR RAILWAY STATIONS? £1320 (2x£60) + £400 + (4x£200)
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE US RETAILER WALMART WAS FOUNDED, ROD LAVER BECAME THE SECOND MAN TO WIN TENNIS’ GRAND SLAM AND THE NEW COVENTRY CATHEDRAL WAS CONSECRATED. 1962
13. IN 2004 SCISSOR SISTERS HAD A HIT WITH “COMFORTABLY NUMB”, A COVER OF A 1980 SINGLE BY WHICH BAND? PINK FLOYD
14. IN THE 1966 WORLD CUP, APART FROM WEST GERMANY, WHO WERE THE ONLY OTHER COUNTRY TO SCORE AGAINST ENGLAND? PORTUGAL
15. NAME THE COUNTRY HIGHLIGHTED IN PICTURE 3. YUGOSLAVIA
16. WHICH “BATMAN” VILLAIN HAS BEEN PLAYED BY FRANK GORSHIN, JOHN ASTIN AND JIM CARREY? THE RIDDLER
17. WHAT DOES THE DITLOID IN PICTURE 4 REPRESENT? 12 SIDES ON A DODECAGON
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN LONDON IN 1978, I FIRST WON GOLD AT THE 1998 COMMONWEALTH GAMES, AN ACHIEVEMENT I REPEATED AT THE SYDNEY OLYMPICS. A PROFESSIONAL SPORTSPERSON FOR 12 YEARS, I HAVE APPEARED IN THREE TV REALITY SHOWS AND BEEN AWARDED THE MBE. AUDLEY HARRISON
19. A LONDON WOMAN IS SEEKING AN INJUNCTION BANNING HER NEIGHBOURS FROM WHAT – BUDDHIST CHANTING, COOKING WITH CHILLIES OR HAVING NOISY SEX? COOKING WITH CHILLIES
20. A YORKSHIRE MAN HAS BEEN ORDERED TO INFORM POLICE 24 HOURS BEFORE HE INTENDS TO DO WHAT? HAVE SEX
TIE BREAKER (nearest answer wins)
21. IN 1950 THE FIRST F1 GRAND PRIX WAS WON BY A MAN WHO AVERAGED WHAT SPEED IN MPH? 91.486MPH

Image Image Image
12 S O A D
#167631 by IAN B
Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:52 am
Quite a few weeks since I last posted, but The Railway quiz keeps going and here's my latest offerings.

01. IN THIS WEEK OF WHICH YEAR WERE THE UK’S TOP THREE SINGLES “DON’T GO BREAKING MY HEART” BY ELTON JOHN & KIKI DEE, “A LITTLE BIT MORE” BY DR HOOK AND “JEANS ON” BY DAVID DUNDAS?
02. CLOSE TO WHICH LONDON BRIDGE DOES THE UNIVERSITY BOAT RACE START?
PUTNEY BRIDGE
03. PICTURE 1 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO A LONDON UNDERGROUND JOURNEY BETWEEN WHICH TWO STATIONS?
MILE END and NOTTING HILL GATE
04. BARRY ALLEN IS THE ALTER EGO OF WHICH COMIC BOOK AND TELEVISION SUPERHERO?
THE FLASH
05. WHICH BRITISH MONARCH WAS THE LAST EMPEROR OF INDIA?
KING GEORGE VI
06. FIVE COUNTRIES HAVE WON THEIR FIRST EVER OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALS AT THE 2016 GAMES, NAME TWO OF THEM.
FIJI, KOSOVO, PUERTO RICO, SINGAPORE and VIETNAM
07. ROLAND SMITH AND CURT ORZABAL WERE THE MEMBERS OF WHICH CHART TOPPING GROUP?
TEARS FOR FEARS
08. PICTURE 2 SHOWS THE LOGO OF WHICH SPORTING ORGANISATION?
BUNDESLIGA
09. WHICH EUROPEAN CAPITAL CITY IS SERVED BY SCHIPOL AIRPORT?
AMSTERDAM
10. BY WHAT NAME IS THE LITERARY AND FILM CHARACTER TOM RIDDLE BETTER KNOWN?
LORD VOLDEMORT
11. DURING THE NOUGHTIES HOW MANY DAYS IN TOTAL WERE THERE IN FEBRUARY?
283 – 2000, 2004 and 2008 were Leap Years
12. NAME THE YEAR. PARIS’ FOLIES BERGERE MUSIC HALL CLOSED, THE FIRST SMS TEXT MESSAGE WAS SENT AND MIGUEL INDURAIN WON THE SECOND OF HIS FIVE TOUR DE FRANCE TITLES.
13. PICTURE 3 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH BAND AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS?
DEEP PURPLE and “BLACK KNIGHT”
14. ON TENNIS’ 1988 RETURN TO THE OLYMPIC GAMES WHICH TWO-TIME WIMBLEDON SINGLES CHAMPION WON TWO BRONZE MEDALS?
STEFAN EDBERG
15. NAME THE CITY HIGHLIGHTED IN PICTURE 4.
MOSCOW
16. IN WHICH CITY WAS THE FILM “TRAINSPOTTING” SET?
EDINBURGH
17. WHICH ANIMAL IS USED ON THE LOGO OF THE WORLD WILDLIFE FUND?
GIANT PANDA
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN HASTINGS IN 1961, I TOOK MY NICKNAME AFTER STICKING A PIN IN A LIST OF MUSICIANS. I JOINED MY FIRST BAND IN 1977, HAVING OUR ONLY UK No1 IN 1982 BEFORE TEMPORARILY SPLITTING IN 1986. IN THE 90s I HAD SOLO HITS. I HAVE ALSO HAD TV AND FILM ROLES AND WAS ONE OF BBC RADIO 6 MUSIC’S ORIGINAL DJS.
GRAHAM McPHERSON aka SUGGS
19. HOW DID JAPANESE GYMNAST KOHEI UCHIMURA RUN UP A £3700 PHONE BILL DURING THE FIRST WEEK IN RIO’S OLYMPIC VILLAGE?
PLAYING POKEMON GO
20. AFTER NEWLY WED FAIZAN PATEL’S WIFE LOST HER PASSPORT WHO OR WHAT DID HE TAKE ON THEIR HONEYMOON?
A PAPER CUTOUT OF HER
21. HOW MANY EPISODES OF THE TELEVISION PROGRAMME “GRANGE HILL” WERE MADE?
Image Image Image Image

01. NAME THE YEAR. GUNS ‘N’ ROSES AXL ROSE WAS BORN, FORMER BEATLE STU SUTCLIFFE DIED AND IKE AND TINA TURNER MARRIED.
02. WHAT LINKS THE ENGLAND RUGBY UNION CAPTAINS HAROLD OWEN-SMITH, JOHN KENDALL-CARPENTER AND DYLAN HARTLEY?
THEY WEREN’T BORN IN ENGLAND
03. WHICH AMERICAN CITY IS OFTEN REFERRED TO AS “BEER CITY” OR “BREW TOWN”?
MILWAUKEE
04. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE GRIFFIN FAMILY’S DOG IN THE TELEVISION CARTOON “FAMILY GUY”?
BRIAN
05. ACCORDING TO THE SAYING “SILENCE IS GOLDEN”, BUT WHAT IS SILVER?
SPEECH
06. WHICH OSCAR-WINNING ACTOR HAS BEEN GIVEN PLANNING PERMISSION TO BUILD A BOUTIQUE HOTEL IN LONDON’S COVENT GARDEN?
ROBERT DE NIRO
07. PICTURE 1 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH GROUP AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS?
DARTS and “THE BOY FROM NEW YORK CITY”
08. IN WHICH ATHLETICS EVENT IS THE CURRENT MEN’S WORLD RECORD 6.16 METRES?
POLE VAULT
09. WHICH BRITISH CITY IS THE HOME OF ASTON UNIVERSITY?
BIRMINGHAM
10. NAME THE FAMOUS PERSON SHOWN IN PICTURE 2.
JOHNNY DEPP
11. WHAT IS THE NEXT NUMBER IN THIS SEQUENCE – 1, 8, 27, 64.....?
125 (1-5 cubed)
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE FIRST SYNTHETIC RADIOACTIVE MATERIAL WAS MADE, THE UNITED KINGDOM HAD THREE MONARCHS AND ENGLAND FIRST BEAT THE ALL BLACKS AT RUGBY UNION.
13. THE COLE PORTER MUSICAL “KISS ME KATE” IS BASED ON WHICH WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE PLAY?
“THE TAMING OF THE SHREW”
14. PICTURE 3 SHOWS THE BADGE OF WHICH SPORTS TEAM?
SAUBER F1
15. WHICH FAMOUS CATHEDRAL CITY STANDS ON THE RIVER STOUR?
CANTERBURY
16. WHICH CURRENT PREMIER LEAGUE FOOTBALL CLUB APPEARED IN BOTH THE FIRST EDITION OF “MATCH OF THE DAY” AND THE FIRST COLOUR EDITION TO BE SHOWN ON BBC 1?
LIVERPOOL
17. WHAT DOES THE DINGBAT IN PICTURE 4 REPRESENT?
INCOMPLETE PASS
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN PENNSYLVANIA IN 1921 OF LITHUANIAN DESCENT, I FIRST WORKED IN THE COAL MINES BEFORE SERVING IN THE US AIR FORCE DURING WWII. MY INTEREST IN ACTING LED ME TO JOIN A THEATRE GROUP BEFORE MY FIRST FILM ROLE IN 1951. IN 1954 I CHANGED MY SURNAME, APPEARING IN MANY TV ROLES BEFORE MY FIRST FILM LEAD IN 1958. I MADE MY LAST FILM IN 1994 AND DIED IN 2003.
CHARLES BRONSON
19. AMERICANS HAVE BEEN SHOCKED TO FIND WHAT APPEARING ON THE STREETS OF SEVERAL US CITIES – LANDING SPOTS FOR UFOs, NUDE STATUES OF DONALD TRUMP OR POLICE OUTLINES OF DEAD POKEMON?
NUDE STATUES OF DONALD TRUMP
20. POLICE IN THE IRISH TOWN OF GOREY WERE RECENTLY INVOLVED IN A LOW SPEED CHASE, CHASING WHAT?
A UFO
21. IN 2001 URSULA ANDRESS’ BIKINI FROM THE JAMES BOND FILM “DR NO” SOLD FOR HOW MUCH AT AUCTION?
£41125

Image Image Image Image

01. IN THIS WEEK OF WHICH YEAR WERE THE UK’S TOP THREE SINGLES “DO IT AGAIN”BY THE BEACH BOYS, “I’VE GOTTA GET A MESSAGE TO YOU” BY THE BEE GEES AND “THIS GUY’S IN LOVE WITH YOU” BY HERB ALPERT?
02. THERE WAS A 42 YEAR AGE GAP BETWEEN TEAM GB’S YOUNGEST AND OLDEST MEMBERS AT THE RIO OLYMPICS, BUT IN WHICH SPORTS DID THEY COMPETE?
GYMNASTICS and SHOW JUMPING
03. PICTURE 1 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO A LONDON UNDERGROUND JOURNEY BETWEEN WHICH TWO STATIONS?
HATTON CROSS and HAMMERSMITH
04. IN THE FILM “E.T.” WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE BOY WHO BEFRIENDED ET?
ELLIOTT
05. WHAT TYPE OF FISH ARE SMOKED TO MAKE KIPPERS?
HERRING
06. IT WAS ANNOUNCED THIS WEEK THAT PRINCE’S MINNESOTA HOME IS TO OPEN AS A TOURIST ATTRACTION, BUT WHAT IS IT CALLED?
PAISLEY PARK
07. WHICH SINGER HAS HAD UK TOP TEN DUETS WITH BRYAN ADAMS, CELINE DION AND DONNA SUMMER?
BARBRA STREISAND
08. WTF IS THE GOVERNING BODY OF WHICH SPORT?
TAEKWONDO
09. THE INDIAN ISLAND OF GOA WAS FORMERLY A PROVINCE OF WHICH EUROPEAN COUNTRY?
PORTUGAL
10. NAME THE TELEVISION CHARACTER IN PICTURE 2.
INSPECTOR MORSE
11. IF YOU ADDED TOGETHER THE NUMBER OF MONARCHS FROM THE HOUSE OF WINDSOR, THE NUMBER OF PERMANENTLY INHABITED CHANNEL ISLANDS AND THE NUMBER OF GALLONS OF BEER IN A FIRKIN WHAT NUMBER SHOULD YOU HAVE?
20 (4+7+9)
12. NAME THE YEAR.THE FIRST NUCLEAR SUBMARINE WAS LAUNCHED, THE BBC AWARDED ITS’ FIRST SPORTS PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR AWARD AND THE TORONTO SUBWAY OPENED.
13. PICTURE 3 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH BAND AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS?
NICKELBACK and “ROCKSTAR”
14. CAL CRUTCHLOW RECENTLY BECAME THE FIRST BRITON FOR 35 YEARS TO WIN A MOTO GP RACE, WHO WAS THE LAST BRITISH WINNER BEFORE HIM?
BARRY SHEENE
15. WHAT TERM IS USED TO DESCRIBE A NATIVE OF THE CITY OF MOSCOW?
MUSCOVITE
16. WHICH COUNTRY HAS WON THE MOST OSCARS IN THE “BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM” CATEGORY?
ITALY
YOU WITH THE STARS IN YOUR EYES
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN HAMPSTEAD IN 1957, DESPITE BEING EXPELLED FROM TWO SCHOOLS AND JAILED FOR CREIT CARD FRAUD, I SECURED A PLACE AT CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY AND IT WAS THERE THAT MY PERFOMING CAREER BEGAN. A COMEDY ACTOR, I HAVE ALSO APPEARED IN DRAMAS, QUIZ SHOWS AND DOCUMENTARIES. I AM KEEN FOOTBALL AND CRICKET FAN.
STEPHEN FRY
19. TRUE OR FALSE – THE GERMAN WWII SS UNIFORMS WERE DESIGNED BY THE FASHION DESIGNER HUGO BOSS?
TRUE
20. WHAT WOULD A JAPANESE PERSON DO WITH HABUSHU – DRINK IT, EAT IT OR WEAR IT?
DRINK IT – it’s snake wine!!
21. HOW LONG, IN METRES, IS THE LONGEST TUNNEL ENTIRELY IN THE UK?
34000 METRES

Image Image Image Image

01. NAME THE YEAR “DOWN DOWN” BY STATUS QUO, “GIVE A LITTLE LOVE” BY BAY CITY ROLLERS AND “STAND BY YOUR MAN” BY TAMMY WYNETTE ALL REACHED No1 IN THE UK CHARTS?
02. WHEN DIEGO MARADONA SCORED HIS INFAMOUS “HAND OF GOD” GOAL WHO WAS THE GOALKEEPER HE BEAT?
PETER SHILTON
03. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING IS AN ISLAND IN THE BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS – BOTTLE OF RUM ISLAND, DEAD CHEST ISLAND OR YO-HO-HO ISLAND?
DEAD CHEST ISLAND
04. NAME THE CARTOON CHARACTER IN PICTURE 1.
HUCKLEBERRY HOUND
05. BY WHAT NAME IS THE BODILY ACTIVITY OF MASTICATION BETTER KNOWN?
CHEWING
06. WHICH ACTOR HAS JUST ENDED ROBERT DOWNEY JR’S THREE YEAR REIGN AS FORBES HIGHEST PAID ACTOR?
DWAYNE JOHNSON/THE ROCK
07. WHAT NAME IS GIVEN TO THE SOUND HOLE ON A VIOLIN – A-HOLE, C-HOLE OR F-HOLE?
F-HOLE
08. PICTURE 2 SHOWS THE BADGE OF WHICH SPORTS TEAM?
JUVENTUS
09. WHAT IS THE LARGEST DESERT IN THE WORLD?
ANTARCTICA (by definition a desert doesn’t have to be sandy)
10. WHICH WAS THE FIRST JAMES BOND FILM TO WIN AN ACADEMY AWARD?
“GOLDFINGER” for Best sound effects editing
11. A CLASS HAS 20 PUPILS AND 20 LOCKERS. THE TEACHER ASKS THE FIRST PUPIL TO OPEN EVERY LOCKER, HE ASKS THE SECOND PUPIL TO CLOSE EVERY SECOND LOCKER, THE THIRD PUPIL TO CLOSE EVERY THIRD LOCKER OR OPEN IT IF IT IS CLOSED, THE FOURTH PUPIL THE SAME WITH EVERY FOURTH LOCKER AND SO ON UP TO THE 20th PUPIL. AT THE END HOW MANY LOCKERS ARE OPEN?
FOUR – numbers 1, 4, 9 and 16
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE RUSSIAN CITY OF STALINGRAD WAS RENAMED VOLGOGRAD, JIMMY HILL RETIRED FROM PLAYING FOOTBALL AND BARBIE GOT A BOYFRIEND.
13. FROM THEIR FORMATION UP TO 1980 WHO WAS THE KEYBOARD PLAYER WITH THE BAND SQUEEZE?
JOOLS HOLLAND
14. PRIOR TO 2015 BRITAIN’S LAST DAVIS CUP FINAL WIN WAS IN 1936, AGAINST WHICH COUNTRY?
AUSTRALIA
15. NAME THE EUROPEAN CAPITAL CITY FEATURED IN PICTURE 3.
STOCKHOLM
16. WHAT WERE THE NAMES OF THE NIGHTCLUB DOORMEN IN PETER KAY’S SHOW “PHOENIX NIGHTS”?
MAX and PADDY
17. WHAT DOES THE DITLOID IN PICTURE 4 REPRESENT?
12 TEAMS IN THE SCOTTISH PREMIER LEAGUE
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN WEST LONDON IN 1949, I WAS A TALENTED SCHOOLBOY MUSICIAN WHO DROPPED OUT OF THE ROYAL COLLEGE OF MUSIC TO BECOME A SESSION MUSICIAN. I BEGAN THE FIRST OF FIVE STINTS WITH MY MOST FAMOUS BAND IN 1971 AND BEGAN SEVERAL SOLO AND CONCEPT PROJECTS A YEAR LATER. I HAVE RECEIVED PRAISE FOR MY DAVID BOWIE COVERS.
RICK WAKEMAN
19. WHAT DO WHALES DO VERTICALLY THAT MOST OTHER MAMMALS DO HORIZONTALLY?
SLEEP
20. TRUE OR FALSE – ACCRINGTON STANLEY’S HOME STADIUM IS NAMED THE WHAM STADIUM BECAUSE THE CHAIRMAN ONCE MANAGED THE POP GROUP?
FALSE – it’s because of a sponsorship deal with What More Ltd
21. ON THIS DATE IN WHICH YEAR DID GEORGE EASTMAN RECEIVE A TRADEMARK FOR THE NAME “KODAK”?

Image Image Image 12 T I T S P L

01. IN THIS WEEK OF WHICH YEAR WERE THE UK’S TOP THREE SINGLES “LIVING DOLL” BY CLIFF RICHARD & THE DRIFTERS, “ONLY SIXTEEN” BY CRAIG DOUGLAS AND “LONELY BOY” BY PAUL ANKA?
02. WHICH COUNTRY STAGED ITS’ FIRST EVER F1 GRAND PRIX IN 2011?
INDIA
03. THE ISLAND OF CORFU IS TWO MILES FROM THE COAST OF WHICH COUNTRY?
ALBANIA
04. THE TELEVISION SHOW “MAD MEN” WAS SET IN THE 1960s WORLD OF WHICH BUSINESS OR INDUSTRY?
ADVERTISING
05. ORIGINALLY FROM GLOUCESTERSHIRE, WHO OR WHAT IS STINKING BISHOP?
A CHEESE
06. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE LEAF HAIRED MASCOT OF THE 2016 RIO PARALYMPIC GAMES?
TOM
07. PICTURE 1 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH BAND AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS?
DR FEELGOOD and “MILK AND ALCOHOL”
08. IN WHICH SPORT DID GREAT BRITAIN WIN ITS’ FIRST EVER OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL?
WEIGHTLIFTING
09. ENGLAND’S JURASSIC COAST CAN BE FOUND ALONG THE COASTLINE OF WHICH TWO COUNTIES?
DEVON and DORSET
10. NAME THE TV CARTOON CHARATCER IN PICTURE 2.
INCH HIGH PRIVATE EYE
11. PEG LEG PETE AND HIS PARROT POLLY RECRUIT A CREW OF 12 ABLE BODIED PIRATES AND A CABIN BOY, ROGER. THEY TAKE ALONG A COW FOR A SUPPLY OF FRESH MILK. AFTER A WEEK AT SEA THEY BECOME BECALMED AND DECIDE TO EAT THE BACK END OF THE COW, THREE OF THE CREW JUMP OVERBOARD AND ATTEMPT TO SWIM TO SHORE WHILST ROGER STARTS FISHING AND CATCHES THREE FISH AND TWO CRABS. HOW MANY LEGS ARE NOW ON BOARD THE SHIP?
45 (1+2+24+2+4)-(2+6)+20
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE FIRST TRANSATLANTIC PHONE CALL WAS MADE, THE SPANISH AIRLINE IBERAI WAS FOUNDED AND THE ENTERTAINER DANNY LA RUE WAS BORN.
13. NAME ONE OF THE THREE WOODS FROM WHICH DRUM STICKS ARE
TRADITIONALLY MADE?
HICKORY, MAPLE and OAK
14. PICTURE 3 SHOWS THE BADGES OF SPORTS TEAMS FROM WHERE?
MINNESOTA
15. WHICH CITY IS THE STATE CAPITAL OF THE CANADIAN STATE OF MANITOBA?
WINNIPEG
16. WHAT IS THE FIRST NAME OF THE TV COP LUTHER?
JOHN
JUST FOLLOWING ORDERS
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN SUFFOLK IN 1942, I SPENT PART OF MY YOUTH ON A KIBBUTZ BEFORE TAKING UP ACTING IN LONDON IN THE 60s. I HAD A MAJOR ROLE IN AN EDUCATIONAL TV SERIES IN 1978 BEFORE STARRING IN FILMS IN THE 80s AND BEING OSCAR NOMINATED. I RETIRED FROM ACTING IN 2012 BEFORE MY DEATH IN 2014.
BOB HOSKINS
19. A LONDON MAN PHONED POLICE RECENTLY WITH WHAT COMPLAINT – THE CHILLI SAUCE IN HIS KEBAB WAS TOO HOT, THERE WAS NO TOILET PAPER IN THE PUB TOILET HE WAS USING OR A CAFE HAD GIVEN HIM THE WRONG TEABAG?
A CAFE HAD GIVEN HIM THE WRONG TEABAG
20. DAVID TEIE HAS BEEN SIGNED BY UNIVERSAL MUSIC TO MAKE AN ALBUM FOR WHO OR WHAT?
CATS
21. WHEN “THE SIMPSONS” CREATOR MATT GROENING RECEIVED A STAR ON THE HOLLYWOOD WALK OF FAME WHAT NUMBER STAR WAS IT?

Image Image Image INSTRUCTIONS-COMMANDS JUST
#167634 by IAN B
Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:40 pm
Another offering from The Railway, where the winner scored 18/20.

01. NAME THE YEAR. KYLIE MINOGUE AND JASON DONOVAN WERE BOTH BORN, FRANKIE LYMAN DIED AND JOHNNY CASH AND JUNE CARTER MARRIED.
02. WHICH MANAGER SELECTED WAYNE ROONEY FOR HIS FULL ENGLAND DEBUT?
SVEN GORAN ERIKSSON
03. LUXEMBOURG HAS LAND BORDERS WITH WHICH THREE COUNTRIES?
BELGIUM, FRANCE and GERMANY
04. PICTURE 1 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE IDENTITY OF WHICH FILM STAR?
DENZEL WASHINGTON
05. WHAT ABBREVIATION IS THE GERMAN EQUIVALENT OF ‘LTD’, SIGNIFYING A LIMITED COMPANY?
GmbH
06. WHO IS THE NEWLY APPOINTED LEADER OF UKIP?
DIANE JAMES
07. WHICH STAGE AND FILM MUSICAL IS BASED ON THE PLAY “PYGMALION”?
“MY FAIR LADY”
08. IN HORSE RACING WHICH OF THE FIVE ENGLISH “CLASSICS” IS RUN OVER THE LONGEST DISTANCE?
ST LEGER
09. PICTURE 2 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO A LONDON UNDERGROUND JOURNEY BETWEEN WHICH TWO STATIONS?
PARSONS GREEN and PUTNEY BRIDGE
10. WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE FAMILY THAT FEATURED IN THE”NATIONAL LAMPOON’S VACATION” SERIES OF FILMS?
GRISWALD
11. IS THE FOLLOWING LINE BY A RAPPER OR BY WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE - “MAY THE LORD PROTECT ME AS THE WORLD GETS HECTIC”?
RAPPER – “Autobiography” by Nicky Minaj
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE REPUBLIC OF IRELAND BECAME THE FIRST COUNTRY TO ELECT CONSECUTIVE FEMALE HEADS OF STATE, THE FIRST COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE HYBRID CAR WAS UNVEILED AND THE FIRST WEDNESDAY DRAWING OF THE NATIONAL LOTTERY TOOK PLACE.
EARTH, WIND & FIRE and “SEPTEMBER”
14. AT WHICH TOURNAMENT DID NOVAK DJOKOVIC WIN THE FIRST OF HIS MAJOR TENNIS TITLES?
AUSTRALIAN OPEN
15. WHERE AM I? WITH A POPULATION OF 1.5 MILLION, A THIRD OF THE COUNTRY’S POPULATION, IT IS THE LARGEST CITY, BUT NOT THE NATIONAL CAPITAL. A HOTBED OF SPORT, IT HOSTED THE FIRST EVER RUGBY UNION WORLD CUP FINAL.
AUCKLAND
16. IN THE FILM “E.T.” WHICH ACTRESS PLAYED THE FIVE YEAR OLD SISTER OF THE LEAD CHARACTER, ELLIOTT?
DREW BARRYMORE
GO FOR BROKE
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN THEULEY, FRANCE IN 1873, I WAS A LAWYER BY TRADE WHO FORMED MY OWN SPORTS CLUB IN 1897. A DECORATED WWI ARMY OFFICER, I BECAME A FOOTBALL ADMINISTRATOR FOR 33 YEARS BEFORE MY DEATH IN 1956. I WAS PORTRAYED IN A 2014 BIOGRAPHICAL FILM.
JULES RIMET
19. TRUE OR FALSE – IN JAPAN THERE IS A PLANT WHOSE SCENT IS SO BAD IT’S NAMES TRANSLATES INTO ENGLISH AS ‘FARTING DRAGON’?
FALSE
20. A MAN IN NORTHUMBRIA PHONED POLICE TO REPORT THAT HIS EX-GIRLFRIEND WAS OVERFEEDING – THEIR DOG, THEIR HAMSTER OR THEIR SON?
THEIR HAMSTER
21. IN WHAT YEAR WAS THE COUNTRY’S OLDEST EXISTING CRICKET CLUB REPORTEDLY FOUNDED?
#167665 by IAN B
Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:34 pm
Last weekend's Railway quiz saw two teams score an impressive 18/20.

01. ON THIS DATE IN WHAT YEAR WERE THE UK TOP THREE SINGLES – “MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE” BY THE POLICE, “”CARS” BY GARY NUMAN AND “IF I SAID YOU HAD A BEAUTIFUL BODY...” BY THE BELLAMY BROTHERS?
02. OF THE 30 TEAMS CURRENTLY PLAYING IN ICE HOCKEY’S NHL HOW MANY ARE BASED IN CANADIAN CITIES – 6, 7 OR 8?
03. WHAT IS THE SECOND LONGEST RIVER IN GERMANY?
ELBE
04. WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE PRISON IN THE TV SERIES “BAD GIRLS”?
LARKHALL PRISON
05. FIRST SEEN IN 1950, WHO OR WHAT WAS BERTIE THE BRAIN?
THE FIRST VIDEO GAME
06. WHICH CITY THIS WEEK ANNOUNCED THAT IT WAS DROPPING ITS’ BID TO HOST THE 2024 SUMMER OLYMPIC GAMES?
ROME
07. WHAT WAS RIGHT SAID FRED’S ONLY UK No1 SINGLE?
“DEEPLY DIPPY”
08. WHICH RACE COURSE IS THE HOME OF THE ENGLISH CLASSIC RACES, THE 1000 GUINEAS AND THE 2000 GUINEAS?
NEWMARKET
09. NAME THE CITY FEATURED IN PICTURE 1.
STOKE-ON-TRENT
10. NAME TWO OF THE THREE BOXERS ROCKY BALBOA FOUGHT IN CHAMPIONSHIP FIGHTS IN THE “ROCKY” SERIES OF FILMS.
APOLLO CREED, JAMES ‘CLUBBER’ LANG and IVAN DRAGO
11. PICTURE 2 SHOWS THE ‘LOVECHILD’ OF WHICH TWO CELEBRITIES?
WILLIAM SHATNER and SERENA WILLIAMS
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE CARVING OF MOUNT RUSHMORE BEGAN, THE FIRST OFFICIAL CHESS OLYMPIAD TOOK PLACE AND THE WORLD’S POPULATION FIRST REACHED TWO BILLION.
13. PICTURE 3 GIVES A CRYPTIC CLUE TO THE TITLE OF WHICH SONG?
“STUCK IN THE MIDDLE WITH YOU”
14. WHICH TOWN OR CITY IS THE HOME OF KENT’S COUNTY CRICKET TEAM?
CANTERBURY
15. PICTURE 4 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO A LONDON UNDERGROUND JOURNEY BETWEEN WHICH TWO STATIONS?
ANGEL and ELEPHANT & CASTLE
16. WHICH TELEVISION SHOW IS SET IN SPRINGBROOK NATIONAL PARK?
“I’M A CELEBRITY.....GET ME OUT OF HERE”
17. IN ITALIAN CUISINE CIBREO SAUCE IS MADE USING WHICH PART OF THE COCKEREL?
THE COMB
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN THE WIRRAL IN 1966, I STUDIED SCULPTURE BEFORE JOINING THE FAMILY BUSINESS. I WORKED IN SEVERAL TOP BRITISH HOTELS BEFORE MOVING TO CYPRUS. GUEST APPEARANCES ON POPULAR TV SHOWS LED TO ME BECOMING ONE OF THE MAIN FIGURES ON A NEW SHOW IN 2010. A KEEN MOTOR RACING FAN, I HAVE DRIVEN IN THE LE MANS 24HRS RACE.
PAUL HOLLYWOOD
19. TECH GIANT APPLE HAVE APPLIED FOR A PATENT ON A NEW DESIGN OF WHAT EVERYDAY ITEM?
THE PAPER BAG
20. TRUE OR FALSE – SCIENTISTS IN AMERICA HAVE CREATED THE TOMION, A CROSS BETWEEN A TOMATO AND ONION, FOR USE IN PIZZA TOPPINGS?
FALSE
21. IN US DOLLARS WHAT WERE THE CAREER PRIZES WON BY THE TENNIS PLAYER GORAN IVANISEVIC?
$19878007

Image Image Image Image
#167686 by IAN B
Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:09 am
The latest two quizzes saw The Railway regulars get high scores of 17/20 and 18/20.

01. NAME THE YEAR. GERI HALLIWELL’S DAUGHTER, BLUEBELL, WAS BORN, WILSON PICKETT DIED AND CHERYL MARRIED MARRIED ASHLEY COLE.
02. AT WHICH TOURNAMENT DID IVAN LENDL WIN HIS FIRST GRAND SLAM TITLE?
THE FRENCH OPEN
03. NAME THE COUNTRY HIGHLIGHTED IN PICTURE 1.
UZBEKISTAN
04. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE RESTAURANT THAT THE TV CARTOON CHARACTER SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS WORKS AT?
“THE KRUSTY KRAB”
05. WHERE ON THE HUMAN BODY WOULD YOU FIND THE THINNEST SKIN
THE EYELIDS
06. WHO HAS JUST PLEDGED $3 BILLION IN AN ATTEMPT TO ERADICATE ALL DISEASES?
MARK ZUCKERBERG
07. WHAT COLOUR OR FRUIT IS MENTIONED IN THE CARLY SIMON SONG “YOU’RE SO VAIN”?
APRICOT
08. PICTURE 2 SHOWS THE BADGE OF WHICH SPORTS TEAM?
TURKISH NATIONAL FOOTBALL TEAM
09. THE MANZANARES RIVER RUNS THROUGH WHICH EUROPEAN CAPITAL CITY?
MADRID
10. WHICH TWO FILM CHARACTERS FIRST MET IN THE MOS EISLEY CANTINA?
LUKE SKYWALKER and HAN SOLO
11. IF YOU ADDED TOGETHER THE NUMBER OF THE SEVEN DWARVES WHOSE NAMES END IN ‘Y’, THE NUMBER OF PAIRS OF RIBS IN THE HUMAN BODY AND THE NUMBER OF OUNCES IN ONE STONE WHAT NUMBER SHOULD YOU HAVE?
241 (5+12+224)
12. NAME THE YEAR.A PILOT EPISODE OF “THE ARCHERS” WAS BROADCAST, THE FIRST PAYMENT BY DINERS CLUB CARD WAS MADE AND THE “PEANUTS” CARTOON STRIP WAS FIRST PUBLISHED.
PILOT and “JANUARY”
14. APART FROM THE DERBY, EPSOM DOWNS IS THE HOME TO WHICH OTHER CLASSIC HORSE RACE?
THE OAKS
15. NAME FOUR OF THE FIVE ENGLISH COUNTIES WHOSE NAMES BEGIN WITH THE LETTER ‘C’.
CAMBRIDGESHIRE, CHESHIRE, CLEVELAND, CORNWALL and CUMBRIA
16. PICTURE 4 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE TITLE OF WHICH TV SHOW?
“SAVED BY THE BELL”
17. CALLED GRATTONS IN FRANCE, GRIEBEN IN GERMANY AND CHICARRON IN MEXICO, WHAT WOULD YOU ASK FOR IN AN ENGLISH PUB?
PORK SCRATCHINGS
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN SPRINGFIELD, THE SON OF RABBI, I CHOSE TO IGNORE RELIGION IN FAVOUR OF ENTERTAINMENT. ORIGINALLY A STREET MIME ARTIST, I FIRST GOT MY OWN TV SHOW IN 1963, BEFORE MOVING INTO CHILDREN’S TV IN THE 80s. I AM A MILLIONAIRE THROUGH THE SALE OF MY LICENSED MERCHANDISE.
KRUSTY THE KLOWN
19. TRUE OR FALSE – THERE IS A MINERAL CALLED CUMMINGTONITE, NAMED AFTER THE US TOWN IN WHICH IT WAS DISCOVERED, CUMMINGTON?
TRUE
20. TRUE OR FALSE – A COW CAN WALK UPSTAIRS, BUT CAN NOT WALK DOWN STAIRS?
TRUE
21. WHEN TONY BLAIR WAS FIRST ELECTED MP FOR THE CONSTITUENCY OF SEDGEFIELD HOW MANY VOTES DID HE RECEIVE?
ImageImage

01. IN THIS WEEK OF WHICH YEAR WERE THE UK’S TOP THREE SINGLES – “ANNIE’S SONG” BY JOHN DENVER, “ROCK ME GENTLY” BY ANDY KIM AND “SAD SWEET DREAMER” BY SWEET SENSATION?
02. WHICH TYPE OF SCORE IS THE ONLY ONE THAT IS WORTH THE SAME NUMBER OF POINTS IN BOTH RUGBY UNION AND RUGBY LEAGUE?
A CONVERSION
03. IN WHICH CITY WOULD YOU FIND THE AIRPORT WITH THE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT CODE ‘CDG’?
PARIS
04. IN 2015 ICEMAN WAS THE FIRST “MARVEL” SUPERHERO TO DO WHAT?
COME OUT AS GAY
05. WHICH MEAT IS USED TO MAKE THE AUSTRIAN NATIONAL DISH WIENER SCHNITZEL?
VEAL
06. WHICH CITY HAS JUST HOSTED THE CONSERVATIVE PARTY’S ANNUAL CONFERENCE?
BIRMINGHAM
07. PICTURE 1 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH GROUP AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS?
HUMAN LEAGUE and “MIRROR MAN”
08. OF THE 18 COUNTIES CURRENTLY PLAYING IN ENGLISH CRICKET’S COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP HOW MANY DO NOT END IN –SHIRE?
8 – Durham, Essex, Glamorgan, Kent, Middlesex, Somerset, Surrey and Sussex
09. BY WHAT NAME IS “THE GATESHEAD FLASHER” MORE COMMONLY KNOWN?
“THE ANGEL OF THE NORTH”
10. PICTURE 2 SHOWS A SCENE FROM WHICH FILM?
“THE SIXTH SENSE”
11. IN “SCRABBLE” WHICH IS THE ONLY LETTER THAT DOES NOT HAVE THE SAME POINTS VALUE AS ANY OTHER LETTER?
K scores 5
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE FIRST EDITION OF “PEOPLE” MAGAZINE, WAS PUBLISHED, THE VOLKSWAGEN GOLF WAS LAUNCHED AND “LITTLE HOUSE ON THe PRAIRIE” MADE ITS’ TELEVISION DEBUT.
13. IN JANUARY 2016 WHICH SINGER CREATED CHART HISTORY BY BEING NUMBER 1, 2 AND 3 IN THE UK SINGLES CHARTS?
JUSTIN BIEBER
14. IN WHICH SPORT ARE THE TERMS DUMP, FLOATER AND WIPE USED?
VOLLEYBALL
15. PICTURE 3 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO A LONDON UNDERGROUND JOURNEY BETWEEN WHICH TWO STATIONS?
MAIDA VALE and WATERLOO
16. WHICH HOLLYWOOD ACTOR APPEARS IN THE TELEVISION ADVERTS FOR DIRECT LINE INSURANCE?
HARVEY KEITEL
17. WHAT FIVE WORD PHRASE DOES THE DINGBAT IN PICTURE 4 REPRESENT?
CUT OUT THE MIDDLE MAN
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN HAMMERSMITH IN 1935, I WAS A TALENTED SCHOOLBOY MUSICIAN WHO GOT A MUSIC SCHOLARSHIP TO OXFORD, WHERE I DEVELOPED AN INTEREST IN JAZZ. I JOINED A COMEDY REVUE SHOW IN THE 60s BEFORE MOVING TO HOLLYWOOD TO PURSUE A FILM CAREER IN THE LATE 70s. FOUR TIMES MARRIED, I DIED IN 2002.
DUDLEY MOORE
19. TRUE OR FALSE – A STAGE PLAY ABOUT THE TV CHEF FANNY CRADDOCK WAS CALLED “DOUGHNUTS LIKE FANNY’S”?
TRUE
20. THE DAMIEN HIRST ARTWORK “BLACK SUN” IS MADE ENTIRELY OF – DEAD FLIES, INK BLOTS OR RAT DROPPINGS?
DEAD FLIES
21. A CORNISH MAN HAS RECENTLY GROWN THE WORLD’S HEAVIEST EVER RED CABBAGE, HOW MUCH IN OUNCES DID IT WEIGH?
817.6 OUNCES

#167885 by IAN B
Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:42 am
A few more quizzes from The Railway's resident QM (all questions correct at time of publication), feel free to reuse.

01. NAME THE YEAR. LISA LOPES AND TIONNE WATKINS OF TLC WERE BOTH BORN, LOUIS ARMSTRONG DIED AND MICK JAGGER MARRIED BIANCA MACIAS.
02. WHO DID ANDY MURRAY BEAT TO WIN HIS FIRST GRAND SLAM TITLE?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC
03. NAME THE CITY FEATURED IN PICTURE 1.
BRISTOL
04. IN THE THEME TUNE OF THE TV SHOW “HAPPY DAYS” WHICH WAS THE ONLY DAY OF THE WEEK THAT WAS NOT DESCRIBED AS HAPPY?
SATURDAY
05. WHAT IS THE MINIMUM AGE YOU CAN BE TO GO ON A SAGA HOLIDAY?
06. THE WORLD’S LONGEST REIGNING MONARCH DIED RECENTLY, BUT WHICH COUNTRY DID THEY RULE?
THAILAND
07. WHAT INSTRUCTION LINKS THE VILLAGE PEOPLE, THE PET SHOPS BOYS AND AN 80s GROUP?
GO WEST
08. WHICH MANAGER SELECTED ALAN SHEARER FOR HIS FULL ENGLAND DEBUT?
GRAHAM TAYLOR
09. WHAT TERM IS USED TO DESCRIBE THE ETHNIC GROUP OF FRENCH CANADIAN DESCENDENTS LIVING IN SOUTHERN LOUISIANA?
CAJUN
10. PICTURE 2 SHOWS THE LOGO OF WHAT?
“LES MISERABLES”
11. THE WORDS ‘ALGEBRA’, ‘CARAVAN’ AND ‘SOFA’ ARE ALL DERIVED FROM WHICH LANGUAGE?
ARABIC
12. NAME THE YEAR. QUEEN ELIZABETH II BECAME THE FIRST REIGNING MONARCH TO VISIT AUSTRALIA, THE FIRST ATOMIC POWER STATION OPENED AND GREAT BRITAIN WON RUGBY LEAGUE’S FIRST EVER WORLD CUP.
13. PICTURE 3 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE IDENTITY OF WHICH SINGER AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS?
DAVID BOWIE and “STARMAN”
14. IN RUGBY UNION’S SIX NATIONS AGAINST WHICH COUNTRY DID ITALY RECORD THEIR FIRST EVER VICTORY?
SCOTLAND
15. 0115 IS THE DIALLING CODE FOR WHICH BRITISH CITY?
NOTTINGHAM
16. ELVIS PRESLEY’S FIRST MOVIE SHARED ITS’ TITLE WITH WHICH OF HIS SONGS - “LOVE ME TENDER”, “LOVING YOU” OR “JAILHOUSE ROCK”?
“LOVE ME TENDER” in 1956
17. WHAT SIX WORD PHRASE DOES THE DINGBAT IN PICTURE 4 REPRESENT?
START OUT ON THE RIGHT FOOT
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN KANSAS CITY IN 1928, I DEVELOPED AN EARLY INTEREST IN JAZZ AND STUDIED MUSIC AT MONTREAL’S McGILL UNIVERSITY. AFTER SERVING IN THE US ARMY I MET MY SONG WRITING PARTNER IN 1957. A PROLIFIC COMPOSER, I ALSO RECORDED MY OWN ALBUMS. I HAVE WON SIX GRAMMYS AND THREE ACADEMY AWARDS.
BURT BACHARACH
19. DOES THE NAME OF THE RETAIL STORE B&M STAND FOR – BARGAINS & MORE, THE NAMES OF ITS’ FOUNDER, MR BILLINGTON OR BRATS & MINGERS?
THE NAME OF ITS’ FOUNDER
20. TRUE OR FALSE – THERE IS A BOOK ABOUT THE FLYING ACE BIGGLES CALLED “BIGGLES FLIES UNDONE”?
FALSE
21. ACCORDING TO THE 2011 CENSUS WHAT WAS THE POPULATION OF BANGLADESH?

Image Image Image

01. IN 1986 WHICH BAND WERE “WAITING FOR THE GHOST TRAIN?
MADNESS
02. WHAT CREEPY NICKNAME DOES THE SCOTTISH FOOTBALL CLUB QUEENS PARK HAVE?
THE SPIDERS
03. IN WHICH COUNTRY IS BARMBRACK EATEN AROUND HALLOWEEN?
IRELAND
04. IN THE 2005 FILM “BEWITCHED” WHO PLAYED THE LEAD ROLE OF SAMANTHA?
NICOLE KIDMAN
05. WHICH VEGETABLE WAS ORIGINALLY CARVED TO MAKE JACK O’LANTERNS?
TURNIPS
06. WHICH COUNTRY CELEBRATES THE DAY OF THE DEAD, A THREE DAY HOLIDAY BEGINNING ON 31 OCTOBER?
MEXICO
07. NAME THE SINGER IN PICTURE 1.
BOBBY ‘BORIS’ PICKETT
08. IN WHICH US STATE IS THE TOWN OF SALEM, THE SITE OF THE FAMOUS WITCH TRIALS?
MASSACHUSETTS
09. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE SIMPSON’S ANNUAL HALLOWEEN SHOW?
“TREEHOUSE OF HORROR”
10. PICTURE 2 SHOWS THE BADGE OF WHICH SPORTS TEAM?
IPSWICH WITCHES
11. WHAT IS THE NAME OF CELTIC FESTIVAL THAT WAS THE FORERUNNER OF HALLOWEEN?
SAMHAIN (pronounced sow-in)
12. THE MUSICIAN JOHNNY MARR, TELEVISION ACTOR AND COMEDIAN SANJEEV BHASKAR AND BRAZILIAN FOOTBALLER DUNGA WERE ALL BORN ON HALLOWEEN, BUT IN WHICH YEAR?
13. IN 1974 WHO HAD A HIT WITH THE SONG “THERE’S A GHOST IN MY HOUSE”?
R DEAN TAYLOR
14. NAME THE HORROR STORY WRITER IN PICTURE 3.
MARY SHELLEY
15. IN WHICH SOUTH AMERICAN COLONY WAS THE INFAMOUS PRISON, DEVIL’S ISLAND?
FRENCH GUIANA
16. WHAT DOES THE DINGBAT IN PICTURE 4 REPRESENT?
TRICK OR TREAT
17. WHAT IS THE COLLECIVE NAME FOR A GROUP OF WITCHES?
COVEN
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN HADDONFIELD, ILLINOIS IN 1957, I OVERCAME AN EARLY PERIOD OF HOSPITALIZATION TO MAKE MY FILM DEBUT IN 1978, THE FIRST OF EIGHT FILM APPEARANCES UP TO 2000. I HAVE ALSO BEEN THE SUBJECT OF SEVERAL BOOKS.
MICHAEL MYERS of “Halloween” fame
19. NAME THE CELEBRITY IN HALLOWEEN MAKE-UP IN PICTURE 5.
JENNIFER LOPEZ
20. TRICK OR TREAT – IN 2005 AMERICANS SPENT MORE ON PUMPKINS FOR HALLOWEEN THAN ON TURKEYS FOR CHRISTMAS?
TRICK – it’s false
21. HOW MANY PEOPLE WERE TRIED AT THE INFAMOUS SALEM WITCH TRIALS?

Image Image Image

01. NAME THE YEAR. U2 MADE THEIR FIRST AMERICAN TV APPEARANCE, SHAKIN’ STEVENS HAD HIS FIRST UK No1 SINGLE AND PHIL COLLINS RELEASED HIS FIRST SOLO ALBUM.
02. WHICH TEAM HAS JUST WON THEIR SPORT’S MAJOR TROPHY FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE 1908?
CHICAGO CUBS
03. THE FRENCH CALL THE ENGLISH CHANNEL ‘LA MANCHE’, BUT WHAT DOES LA MANCHE MEAN?
THE SLEEVE
04. WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE CLOWN IN THE STEPHEN KING NOVEL AND FILM “IT”?
PENNYWISE
05. NAME THE FAMOUS PERSON SHOWN IN THEIR YOUNGER DAYS IN PICTURE 1.
HILLARY CLINTON
06. WHICH CELEBRITY HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED AS THE NEW FACE OF THE CHARITY “CHILDLINE”?
CHERYL
07. WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE BAND WHOSE ONLY UK TOP TEN HIT WAS “I’LL BE THERE FOR YOU”, THE THEME TUNE TO THE TV SHOW “FRIENDS”?
THE REMBRANDTS
08. IN WHICH SPORT ARE THE TROPHIES IN PICTURE 2 COMPETED FOR?
BADMINTON – The Thomas and Uber Cups
09. IN TERMS OF AREA, WHAT IS THE LARGEST LANDLOCKED COUNTY IN ENGLAND?
SHROPSHIRE
10. IN THE 1983 FILM “EDUCATING RITA” WHAT WAS RITA WHITE’S PROFESSION?
HAIRDRESSER
11. A MAN TRAVELLING WITH HIS PET DOG, CAT AND MOUSE MUST CROSS A RIVER USING A RAFT THAT CAN ONLY CARRY ANY TWO OF THEM. HE CAN’T LEAVE THE DOG AND CAT TOGETHER OR THE MOUSE AND CAT. HOW MANY SEPARATE TRIPS DOES IT TAKE FOR HIM TO GET EVERYONE SAFELY ACROSS?
SEVEN - cat, return alone, mouse, return with cat, dog, return alone, cat
12. NAME THE YEAR. SOUTH AFRICA LEFT THE COMMONWEALTH OF NATIONS, THE COUNTRY MUSIC HALL OF FAME WAS ESTABLISHED AND “THE AVENGERS” MADE THEIR TELEVISION DEBUT.
13. APART FROM BEETHOVEN WHICH OTHER CLASSICAL COMPOSER APPEARS IN THE LYRICS OF CHUCK BERRY’S “ROLL OVER BEETHOVEN”?
TCHAIKOVSKY
14. IN 1968 RON FLOWERS BECAME THE FIRST MEMBER OF ENGLAND’S 1966 WORLD CUP SQUAD TO DO WHAT?
BECOME A MANAGER
15. PICTURE 3 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO A LONDON UNDERGROUND JOURNEY BETWEEN WHICH TWO STATIONS?
BELSIZE PARK and HIGHGATE
16. WHAT IS THE FIRST NAME OF THE TELEVISION PRESENTER JUDGE RINDER?
ROBERT
134 METRES IS THE HEIGHT OF WEMBLEY ARCH
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN LEEDS IN 1950, IAM A CAMBRIDGE GRADUATE WHO BEGAN MY JOURNALISTIC CAREER AT THE BBC IN 1972. A FORMER NEWSREADER, I WAS THE FRONTMAN OF A PROGRAMME FOR 25 YEARS AND AM ONE OF ONLY TWO PRESENTERS OF ANOTHER LONG RUNNING SHOW.
JEREMY PAXMAN
19. WHY WERE THE FINAL WORDS OF ALBERT EINSTEIN NOT RECORDED FOR POSTERITY?
HIS NURSE DIDN’T SPEAK GERMAN
20. WHAT IS 59% NITROGEN, 21% HYDROGEN, 9% CARBON DIOXIDE AND TRAVELS AT APPROXIMATELY 6.8MPH?
A FART
21. HOW MUCH DID IT COST TO BUILD THE CUTTY SARK?
£16150

Image Image Image 134 M I T H O W A

01. NAME THE YEAR. DONNA SUMMER WAS ENSHRINED IN THE ROCK ‘N’ ROLL HALL OF FAME, PJ & DUNCAN HAD THEIR ONLY UK No1 SINGLE AND REG PRESLEY OF THE TROGGS DIED.
02. WHICH FOOTBALL CLUB WAS, IN 1981, THE FIRST ENGLISH CLUB TO HAVE AN ALL SEATER STADIUM?
COVENTRY CITY
03. WHICH IS THE DEEPEST OF NORTH AMERICA’S GREAT LAKES?
LAKE SUPERIOR
04. WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE DEPARTMENT STORE IN THE TELEVISION SHOW “ARE YOU BEING SERVED?”
GRACE BROTHERS
05. ACCORDING TO “THE HIGHWAY CODE” BETWEEN WHAT HOURS SHOULD YOU NOT SOUND YOUR HORN IN A BUILT-UP AREA?
2330-0700 HOURS
06. DONALD TRUMP’S PRESIDENTIAL RUNNING MATE, MIKE PENCE, IS THE GOVERNOR OF WHICH US STATE?
INDIANA
THE THREE DEGREES and “TOAST OF LOVE”
08. IN RUGBY UNION IRELAND RECENTLY ENDED THE ALL BLACKS RUN OF 18 CONSECUTIVE WINS, BUT AGAINST WHICH COUNTRY DID THEY RECORD THE MOST OF THOSE VICTORIES?
AUSTRALIA
09. THE COUNTY OF SOMERSET HAS TWO CITIES, BATH IS ONE OF THEM, BUT WHAT IS THE OTHER?
WELLS
10. PICTURE 2 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE TITLE OF WHICH TV SHOW?
“THE FALL AND RISE OF REGINALD PERRIN”
11. IF YOU DROPPED A BALL FROM THE 64th FLOOR OF A BUILDING AND EACH TIME IT BOUNCED IT REACHED HALF ITS’ PREVIOUS HEIGHT HOW MANY BOUNCES WOULD IT TAKE FOR IT ONLY TO REACH THE 2nd FLOOR?
FIVE
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE EEC WAS FOUNDED, THE CND PEACE SYMBOL WAS DESIGNED AND BOLTON WANDERERS WON THE FA CUP FOR THE FOURTH AND FINAL TIME.
13. THE BAND WEEZER HAD A SONG NAMED AFTER WHICH 50s SINGER – BILL HALEY, BO DIDDLEY OR BUDDY HOLLY?
BUDDY HOLLY
14. AT THE FIRST EVER WORLD ATHLETICS CHAMPIONSHIPS, STAGED IN 1983, GREAT BRITAIN WON TWO GOLD MEDALS. NAME ONE OF THE WINNERS.
DALEY THOMPSON and STEVE CRAM
STEPNEY GREEN and ROYAL OAK
16. KEITH HARRIS WAS BEST KNOWN FOR APPEARING WITH ORVILLE THE DUCK, BUT WHAT WAS THE NAME OF HIS MONKEY?
CUDDLES
WET BEHIND THE EARS
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN LONDON IN 1887, I WAS A UNIVERSITY DROPOUT WHO EMIGRATED TO CANADA IN 1909. I DRIFTED INTO ACTING AND IT WAS WHILST APPEARING IN THEATRE THAT I ADOPTED MY STAGE NAME IN 1912. A MOVE TO HOLLYWOOD SAW LITTLE INITIAL SUCCESS UNTIL AN ICONIC 1931 ROLE. MY CAREER CONTINUED UNTIL SHORTLY BEFORE MY DEATH IN 1969.
BORIS KARLOFF
19. THE 12th PRESIDENT OF THE USA ZACHARY TAYLOR DIED OF A SEVERE CASE OF WHAT?
DIARRHOEA
20. THE WINNER OF THE 2012 DIAGRAM PRIZE FOR STRANGE BOOK TITLES WAS “COOKING WITH .....”?
POO
21. IN WHAT YEAR DID CARDIFF OFFICIALLY BECOME THE CAPITAL CITY OF WALES?

Image Image Image
#168154 by IAN B
Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:19 pm
I had stopped posting due to the amount of spam and a drop in the number of people responding to my weekly quiz, but I have been contacted by someone who uses my quizzes as a regular source of questions, so here's some material (minus the pictures) to keep you going.....

01. IN WHAT YEAR WERE THE TOP THREE SONGS IN THE UK CHARTS “BOHEMIAN
RHAPSODY” BY QUEEN, “DON’T LET THE SUN GO DOWN ON ME” BY ELTON
JOHN & GEORGE MICHAEL AND “JUSTIFIED & ANCIENT” BY KLF?
02. IN WHICH COUNTRY DID LEWIS HAMILTON RECORD HIS FIRST F1 GRAND PRIX
VICTORY?
CANADA
03. THE LONGEST ROAD TUNNEL IN THE UK PASSES UNDER WHICH RIVER?
THE MERSEY
04. IN THE WORLD OF THEATRE WHAT IS ‘KENSINGTON GORE’?
FAKE BLOOD
05. NOW ASSOCIATED WITH MOBILE PHONES, WHAT DID THE INITIALS OF THE
COMPANY “HTC” ORIGINALLY STAND FOR?
HIGH TECH COMPUTER
06. WHICH BRITISH TOWN CELEBRATED ITS’ 50th BIRTHDAY THIS WEEK?
MILTON KEYNES
07. PICTURE 1 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE IDENTITY OF WHICH BAND?
QUEEN – (John) Deacon, Brian (May), Roger (Taylor) and (Freddie (Mercury)
08. IN TEN PIN BOWLING WHAT IS THE DISTANCE FROM THE FOUL LINE TO THE
KING PIN – 50, 60 OR 70 FEET?
60 FEET
09. COMINO IS THE SMALLEST INHABITED ISLAND OF WHICH ISLAND NATION?
MALTA
10. PICTURE 2 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE TITLE OF WHICH FILM?
“THE FRENCH LIEUTENANT’S WOMAN”
11. WHERE CAN A BEARDED MAN, A FLYING SAUCER, A TYRANNOSAURUS REX
AND A ZOMBIE NOW BE FOUND?
AS EMOJIS
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE MUSICAL “LES MISERABLES” MADE ITS’ STAGE DEBUT,
NIGEL SHORT WAS NAMED CHESS’ YOUNGEST INTERNATIONAL MASTER AND
THE RUBIK’S CUBE WAS UNVEILED AT THE BRITISH TOY FAIR.
13. WHICH TWO ACTS PERFORMED ON THE UK No1 SINGLE “WALK THIS WAY”?
SUGABABES vs GIRLS ALOUD
14. WHAT IS THE NICKNAME OF NEW ZEALAND’S INTERNATIONAL BOWLS TEAM?
THE BLACKJACKS
15. PICTURE 3 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO A LONDON RAILWAY JOURNEY BETWEEN
WHICH TWO STATIONS?
WEST INDIA QUAYS and ISLAND GARDENS
16. IN THE TV SHOW “THE ROYLE FAMILY” WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE LOCAL
PUB?
THE FEATHERS
17. WHAT THREE WORD SAYING DOES THE DINGBAT IN PICTURE 4 REPRESENT?
ORDER IN COURT
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN TEL AVIV IN 1946, I MOVED TO CYPRUS IN 1957. AFTER
SERVING IN THE ISRAELI ARMY I WORKED AS A MODEL AND NIGHTCLUB
ENTERTAINER WITH MY ACT MAKING ME A WORLDWIDE TV STAR IN THE 70s.
I HAVE SINCE ACTED IN A FILM AND APPEARED ON A REALITY TV SHOW.
URI GELLER
19. IN 1787 WHY DID MONT BLANC SUDDENLY BECOME SHORTER – IT CRUMBLED
AFTER A CLIMBER STUCK A FLAG IN THE SUMMIT, THE TOP WAS REMOVED
AND PUT IN A MUSEUM OR IT WAS STRUCK BY LIGHTNING?
THE TOP WAS REMOVED AND PUT IN A DUTCH MUSEUM
20. WHAT EXCUSE DID A WESTERN AUSTRALIAN GIVE TO POLICE FOR SPPEDING –
HE WAS DRIVING AN AUTOMATIC SO IT WAS THE CAR’S FAULT, THE ROAD
WAS TOO SMOOTH OR THE WIND WAS BLOWING HIM?
THE WIND WAS BLOWING HIM
21. JAPAN’S TAKASHIMAYA DEPARTMENT STORE IS SELLING THE WORLD’S MOST
EXPENSIVE FRUIT CAKE, HOW MUCH, IN US DOLLARS, DOES IT COST?
$1.65 MILLION

01. IN THIS WEEK OF WHICH YEAR WERE THE UK’S TOP THREE SINGLES “TIGER
FEET” BY MUD, “TEENAGE RAMPAGE” BY SWEET AND “DANCE WITH THE
DEVIL” BY COZY POWELL?
02. DURING GLASGOW RANGERS ABSENCE FROM SCOTTISH FOOTBALL’S PREMIER
LEAGUE WHICH TWO CLUBS HAVE TWICE FINISHED RUNNERS-UP TO CELTIC?
ABERDEEN and MOTHERWELL
03. PICTURE 1 SHOWS PART OF WHICH FAMOUS LANDMARK?
THE STATUE OF LIBERTY
04. ON TELEVISION BY WHAT COLLECTIVE NAME ARE MARK GATISS, STEVE
PEMBERTON AND REECE SHEARSMITH KNOWN?
THE LEAGUE OF GENTLEMEN
05. THE ENGLISH TRANSLATION OF THE MOTTO OF THE RAF’S 617 “DAMBUSTERS”
SQUADRON IS “AFTER ME THE .......” WHAT?
FLOOD
06. SALLY YATES WAS THE FIRST HIGH-PROFILE CASUALTY OF DONALD TRUMP’S
PRESIDENCY, WHAT POSITION AS SHE SACKED FROM?
US ATTORNEY GENERAL
07. WHAT FRUIT CONNECTS THE GROUPS 112, PRESIDENTS OF THE USA AND THE
STRANGLERS?
PEACH
08. NAME THE SPORTS STAR SHOWN IN HIS YOUNGER DAYS IN PICTURE 2.
WAYNE ROONEY
09. WHICH TWO BRITISH CITIES BEGIN WITH THE LETTER ‘G’?
GLASGOW and GLOUCESTER
10. PICTURE 3 SHOWS THE CAST OF WHICH 80s TELEVISION SHOW?
“BREAD”
11. IF YOU ADDED TOGETHER THE NUMBER OF PIECES A PLAYER HAS AT THE
START OF A GAME OF ENGLISH DRAUGHTS, THE NUMBER OF SQUARES ON A
“SCRABBLE” BOARD AND THE AMOUNT OF MONEY YOU START A GAME OF
“MONOPOLY WITH, WHAT NUMBER SHOULD YOU HAVE?
1737 (12+225+1500)
12. NAME THE YEAR. LOS ANGELES HAD ITS’ FIRST RECORDED SNOWFALL, THE
SPORTS COMPANY ADIDAS WAS FOUNDED AND ISRAEL BECAME THE 59th
MEMBER OF THE UNITED NATIONS.
13. WHAT IS UNUSUAL ABOUT THE LAST NOTE OF THE BEATLES’ “A DAY IN THE
LIFE” – IT’S PLAYED 15 SECONDS AFTER THE PREVIOUS NOTE, IT’S SO HIGH
ONLY DOGS CAN HEAR IT OR RINGO SANG IT IN TUNE?
IT’S SO HIGH ONLY DOGS CAN HEAR IT
14. IN CYCLING WHAT COLOUR JERSEY DOES THE OVERALL LEADER OF THE
VUELTA A ESPANA WEAR?
RED
15. PICTURE 4 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO A LONDON UNDERGROUND JOURNEY
BETWEEN WHICH TWO STATIONS?
NORTH GREENWICH to WATERLOO
16. IN WHICH FICTIONAL VILLAGE DOES FIREMAN SAM WORK?
PONTYPANDY
17. IN THE EDWARD LEAR POEM “THE OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT” WHAT TYPE OF
ANIMAL CONDUCTED THEIR WEDDING CEREMONY?
A TURKEY
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN KILBURN IN 1882, I WAS A CAMBRIDGE GRADUATE WHO
BEGAN WRITING WHILST AT UNIVERSITY. I SERVED IN THE ARMY IN WW1
AND THE HOME GUARD DURING WWII. ALTHOUGH A PROLIFIC PLAYWRIGHT,
NOVELIST AND SCREENWRITER, I AM BEST KNOWN FOR TWO CHILDREN’S
BOOKS I WROTE IN THE 1920s. I DIED IN 1956.
A.A.MILNE
19. WHAT HAPPENED FOR THE ONLY TIME AT SUPER BOWL XIX – THE GAME WAS
DELAYED BY A POWERCUT, THE NATIONAL ANTHEM WAS NOT SUNG OR THE
COIN TOSS WAS PERFORMED VIA A SATELLITE LINK?
THE COIN TOSS WAS PERFORMED VIA A SATELLITE LINK
20. TRUE OR FALSE – BEFORE A SPACE MISSON ASTRONAUTS ARE NOT ALLOWED
TO EAT BEANS?
TRUE
21. IN WHAT YEAR DID A FRENCH TRAINED HORSE FIRST WIN THE GRAND
NATIONAL?

01. NAME THE YEAR. FOO FIGHTERS FRONTMAN DAVE GROHL WAS BORN, JUDY
GARLAND DIED AND JOHN LENNON MARRIED YOKO ONO.
02. WHICH PLAYER HAS SCORED THE MOST TRIES FOR THE ENGLAND RUGBY
UNION TEAM WITH A TOTAL OF 49?
RORY UNDERWOOD
03. NAME THE EUROPEAN CAPITAL CITY FEATURED IN PICTURE 1.
DUBLIN
04. NAME TWO OF THE THREE REGULAR PRESENTERS OF THE BBC CONSUMER
SHOW “RIP OFF BRITAIN”?
GLORIA HUNNIFORD, ANGELA RIPPON and JULIA SOMERVILLE
05. BLEEDING TOOTH, CRAMP BALLS, HAIRY NUTS DISCO AND SHAGGY BRACKET
ARE ALL TYPES OF WHAT?
FUNGI
06. MADONNA RECENTLY ADOPTED TWO CHILDREN FROM WHICH AFRICAN
NATION?
MALAWI
07. THE ROCK BAND JUDAS PRIEST TOOK THEIR NAME FROM A SONG TITLE BY
WHICH SINGER?
BOB DYLAN
08. PICTURE 2 SHOWS THE BADGE OF WHICH ENGLISH FOOTBALL CLUB?
BARNET FC
09. WHEN LISTED ALPHABETICALLY WHAT ARE THE FIRST AND LAST CITIES IN
THE UNITED KINGDOM?
ABERDEEN and YORK
10. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE VILLAINOUS LION IN THE FILM “THE LION KING”?
SCAR
11. THERE IS A CHAIN NAILED TO A WALL. THE CHAIN IS 10 FEET LONG AND THE
CENTRE OF THE CHAIN DIPS DOWN EXACTLY 5 FEET FROM WHERE EACH SIDE
OF THE CHAIN IS NAILED TO THE WALL. HOW FAR ARE THE TWO ENDS OF THE
CHAIN FROM EACH OTHER?
THEY ARE ON THE SAME NAIL
12. NAME THE YEAR. REGULAR RADIO BROADCASTS OF BRITISH PARLIAMENT
BEGAN, LEGO PRODUCED ITS’ FIRST MINIFIGURES AND THE TELEVISION
SHOW “DALLAS” MADE ITS’ DEBUT.
13. PICTURE 3 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH SINGER AND
WHICH OF THEIR SONGS?
FATS DOMINO and “BLUEBERRY HILL”
14. IN THE HISTORY OF SCOTTISH FOOTBALL’S PREMIERSHIP AND PREMIER
LEAGUE WHICH CLUB HAS BEEN RELEGATED THE MOST TIMES?
DUNFERMLINE ATHLETIC (3 times)
15. WHICH AMERICAN CITY HAS BEEN NICKNAMED “THE OIL CAPITAL OF THE
WORLD” AND “T-TOWN”?
TULSA
16. WHAT WAS THE SURNAME OF THE CHARACTERS PLAYED BY STEPHEN FRY IN
THE “BLACKADDER” SERIES?
MELCHETT
FATHER FIGURE
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN REYJAVIK IN 1929, I MOVED TO EDINBURGH DUE TO MY
FATHER’S GOVERNMENT SERVICE. AN OXFORD GRADUATE, I FIRST WORKED
AS A JOURNALIST BEFORE JOINING THE BBC. A HISTORY WRITER AND
TRANSLATOR, I AM BEST KNOWN FOR PRESENTING A TV SHOW FROM 1972-97.
MAGNUS MAGNUSSON
19. BELFAST YESTERDAY STAGED A PRIDE DAY FOR WHICH GROUP OF PEOPLE?
GINGERS
20. IN AUSTRALIA WHAT DO PEOPLE DO WITH LONG BUMS – EAT THEM, PLAY
WITH THEM OR WEAR THEM?
EAT THEM – a type of whelk
21. HOW MANY GOALS HAVE ENGLAND SCORED IN FIFA WORLD CUP FINAL
TOURNAMENTS?

01. IN THIS WEEK OF WHICH YEAR WERE THE UK’S TOP THREE SINGLES BABYLON
Z00’S “SPACEMAN”, “ANYTHING” BY 3T AND “CHILDREN BY ROBERT MILES”?
02. WHICH COUNTRY RECENTLY WON FOOTBALL’S AFRICAN CUP OF NATIONS
FOR THE FIFTH TIME?
CAMEROON
03. WHICH UNIQUE COMPANY IS BASED IN THE WELSH TOWN OF LLANTRISANT?
THE ROYAL MINT
04. ON TELEVISION WHAT ROLE DO ANNE HEGERTY, JENNY RYAN AND SHAUN
WALLACE HAVE?
CHASERS on “The Chase”
05. WHERE DOES EDGAR MALLORY SEND PEOPLE TO PRISON?
IN THE BOARDGAME “MONOPOLY”
06. FRENCH CAR MANUFACTURERS PSA THIS WEEK REVEALED PLANS TO TAKE
OVER A COMPANY THAT INCLUDES WHICH BRITISH CAR BRAND?
VAUXHALL
07. PICTURE 1 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH GROUP AND WHICH
OF THEIR SONGS?
ACE OF BASE and “THE SIGN”
08. WHAT IS THE TEAM NAME OF GREAT BRITAIN’S INTERNATIONAL AMERICAN
FOOTBALL TEAM?
LIONS
09. THE GOBI DESERT, THE WORLD’S THIRD LARGEST NON-POLAR DESERT,
COVERS PARTS OF TWO COUNTRIES, NAME ONE OF THEM.
CHINA and MONGOLIA
10. NAME THE TWO ACTORS IN PICTURE 2.
LEONARDO DI CAPRIO and SEAN PENN
11. TOM AND DICK HAVE BEEN SAVING £2 COINS TO PAY FOR A NIGHT OUT, BUT
TOM IS A BETTER SAVER. AFTER 30 DAYS THEY REALISE THAT IF TOM GAVE
DICK TWELVE £2 COINS THEY WOULD HAVE THE SAME AMOUNT, BUT IF DICK
GAVE TOM TWELVE £2 COINS TOM WOULD HAVE TWICE AS MUCH AS DICK.
HOW MUCH MONEY HAD TOM SAVED AFTER 30 DAYS?
£168
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE SINDY DOLL WAS CREATED AS A BRITISH RIVAL TO
BARBIE, THE FLYING SCOTSMAN MADE ITS’ LAST SCHEDULED JOURNEY AND
THE COCA COLA COMPANY INTRODUCED ITS’ FIRST DIET DRINK.
13. IN THE 1960s WHICH BAND SPENT THE MOST WEEKS IN THE UK SINGLES
CHART WITH A TOTAL OF 631?
THE SHADOWS
14. FOR WHICH OF THE FIVE CLUBS HE REPRESENTED DID GARY LINEKER SCORE
THE MOST COMPETITIVE GOALS?
LEICESTER CITY
15. THE STATUE IN PICTURE 3, LOCATED IN MANCHESTER, IS IN HONOUR OF WHAT?
VIMTO
16. WHICH ACTOR HAS PLAYED GREENKEEPER CARL SPACKLER, TV REPORTER
PHIL CONNORS AND GANGSTER FRANK MILO?
BILL MURRAY
9 NUMBER ONE SINGLES BY THE SPICE GIRLS
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN WINCHESTER, VIRGINIA IN 1932, I WAS DISCOVERED BY A
LOCAL RADIO STATION IN 1947. ADOPTING MY STAGE NAME IN 1955, I HAD MY
FIRST HIT TWO YEARS LATER. IN 1973, TWELVE YEARS AFTER MY DEATH, I
WAS THE FIRST FEMALE SOLO ARTIST TO ENTER THE COUNTRY MUSIC HALL
OF FAME.
PATSY CLINE
19. TRUE OR FALSE – NETFLIX HAVE DEVELOPED PANTS THAT PAUSE THE SHOW
YOU’RE WATCHING IF YOU FALL ASLEEP?
FALSE – it’s socks
20. TO ESTABLISH DOMINANCE IN THEIR PACK MEERKATS HAVE COMPETITIVE
CONTESTS IN WHAT – EATING, FARTING OR SQUEALING?
EATING
21. HOW MANY EPISODES OF THE BRITISH TV QUIZ SHOW “WHO WANTS TO BE A
MILLIONAIRE?” WERE MADE?

01. IN THIS WEEK OF WHICH YEAR WERE THE UK’S TOP THREE SINGLES “WHOLE
AGAIN” BY ATOMIC KITTEN, “MS JACKSON” BY OUTKAST AND “ALWAYS COME
BACK TO YOUR LOVE” BY SAMANTHA MUMBA?
02. WHO WAS THE LAST ENGLAND MANAGER TO LEAD A TEAM IN FOOTBALL’S
BRITISH HOME INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS?
BOBBY ROBSON
03. IN TERMS OF POPULATION WHAT IS THE LARGEST HOLIDAY RESORT ON THE
YORKSHIRE COAST?
SCARBOROUGH
04. WHICH OSCAR-WINNING ACTRESS WAS BORN CARYN ELAINE JOHNSON IN
NEW YORK CITY IN 1955?
WHOPPIE GOLDBERG
05. PICTURE 1 SHOWS THE LOGO OF WHICH FORMER COMPANY?
MIDLAND BANK
06. CRESSIDA DICK THIS WEEK BECAME THE FIRST WOMEN EVER TO HOLD WHICH
POSITION?
COMMISSIONER OF THE METROPOLITAN POLICE
07. WHAT IS THE TOTAL OF ADELE’S FIRST THREE ALBUMS?
65 (The titles are “19”, “21” and “25”)
08. THE SIRENS AND WASPS ARE THE TWO NEWEST TEAMS IN THE BRITISH SUPER
LEAGUE OF WHICH SPORT?
NETBALL
09. LOCATED ON LONDON’S BOND STREET, THE STATUE IN PICTURE 2 DEPICTS
WHICH TWO FAMOUS PEOPLE?
FRANKLIN D ROOSEVELT and WINSTON CHUCHILL
10. WHAT TYPE OF CREATURE IS THE ARCH ENEMY OF THE CHILDREN’S CARTOON
CHARACTER DANGER MOUSE?
TOAD
11. AT AN EXOTIC BIRD PARK A PEACOCK LAYS AN EGG IN THE CENTRE OF THE
BIRDHOUSE’S 5 METRE SQUARE. UNFORTUNATELY THE WIND BLOWS THE
EGG AND IT STARTS TO ROLL AT 5 CENIMETRES A SECOND, HOW LONG DOES
IT TAKE THE EGG TO ROLL OFF THE ROOF?
IT DOESN’T – peacocks don’t lay eggs, peahens do
12. NAME THE YEAR. DISNEY’S “PETER PAN” MADE ITS’ CINEMATIC DEBUT,
WINSTON CHURCHILL WON THE NOBEL PRIZE FOR LITERATURE AND RUSSIAN
LEADER JOSEPH STALIN DIED
13. NAME THE BAND IN PICTURE 3.
FLEETWOOD MAC
14. NEIL FOX IS GREAT BRITAIN’S HIGHEST INTERNATIONAL POINTS SCORER IN
WHICH SPORT?
RUGBY LEAGUE
15. NAME THREE OF THE FIVE STATES OF THE USA THAT HAVE COASTLINES ON
THE GULF OF MEXICO?
ALABAMA, FLORIDA, LOUISIANA, MISSISSIPPI and TEXAS
16. WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE CHALET MAID PLAYED BY SU POLLARD IN THE
TV SHOW “HI-DE-HI”?
PEGGY
48 GARY LINEKER GOALS FOR ENGLAND
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN VLADIVOSTOCK IN 1920, I MOVED TO PARIS IN 1932 WHERE
I LATER WORKED AS A TRAPEZE ARTIST. A BACK INJURY FORCED A CAREER
CHANGE TO ACTING. EMIGRATING TO THE USA, I MADE MY BROADWAY DEBUT
IN 1941 AND MY FILM DEBUT IN 1949, WINNING AN OSCAR FOR A 1956 FILM.
MY FINAL FILM ROLE WAS IN 1976, NINE YEARS BEFORE MY DEATH.
YUL BRYNNER
19. TRUE OR FALSE - STEVE JOBS ALWAYS WORE TURTLENECK JUMPERS DUE TO
A FEAR OF BUTTONS?
TRUE (koumpounopohbia)
20. IN JUNE 1975 CRICKET’S COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP GAME BETWEEN DERBYSHIRE
AND LANCASHIRE WAS INTERRUPTED BY WHAT – SEAGULLS, SNOW OR
STREAKERS?
SNOW
21. WHEN ROBBIE WILLIAMS’ “SING WHEN YOU’RE WINNING” FIRST TOPPED THE
UK ALBUM CHARTS HOW MANY DIFFERENT No1 ALBUMS HAD THERE BEEN?

01. NAME THE YEAR. COLDPLAY’S CHRIS MARTIN WAS BORN, T-REX’S MARC
BOLAN DIED AND GEORGE HARRISON AND PATTIE BOYD DIVORCED.
02. WHICH WAS THE FIRST FOOTBALL CLUB TO WIN THE FA CUP FINAL VIA A
PENALTY SHOOTOUT?
ARSENAL
03. WHICH WAS THE SECOND OF ENGLAND’S NATIONAL PARKS TO GAIN THAT
STATUS?
THE LAKE DISTRICT
04. NAME TWO OF THE THREE CARTOONS WHOSE CHARACTERS HAVE APPEARED
IN TELEVISION ADVERTS FOR THE HALIFAX BANK?
SCOOBY DOO, THE FLINTSTONES and TOP CAT
05. IN WHICH COUNTRY WAS THE SPORTING GOODS COMPANY SLAZENGER
FOUNDED?
ENGLAND
06. WHICH PARTY WON THE MOST SEATS IN THIS WEEK’S ELECTIONS FOR THE
NORTHERN IRELAND ASSEMBLY
DEMOCRATIC UNIONIST PARTY
OF THEIR SONGS?
HUMAN LEAGUE and “BEING BOILED”
08. AT THE HIGHEST LEVELS LACROSSE MATCHES CONSIST OF HOW MANY
MINUTES OF PLAY?
60 MINUTES
09. SYDNEY HARBOUR BRIDGE GOT ITS’ NICKNAME FROM WHICH HOUSEHOLD
ITEM?
COATHANGER
10. PICTURE 2 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO WHICH TELEVISION PROGRAMME?
“THE A-TEAM”
11. YOU ARE STANDING IN A ZOO WHERE YOU ARE MET BY FIVE ZOO KEEPERS.
EACH KEEPER HAS FIVE ENCLOSURES AND EACH ENCLOSURE CONTAINS
FIVE BIG CATS AND EACH BIG CAT HAS FIVE CUBS. HOW MANY LEGS ARE
THERE IN TOTAL?
3012 (2+10+500+2500)
12. NAME THE YEAR. APPLE COMPUTERS WAS FOUNDED, THE FIRST FORD FIESTA
WENT ON SALE AND INNSBRUCK HOSTED THE WINTER OLYMPIC GAMES.
13. WHICH CHART-TOPPING SINGER WAS BORN MARY O’BRIEN IN LONDON IN
1939?
DUSTY SPRINGFIELD
14. THE FIH IS THE GOVERNING BODY OF WHICH SPORT?
HOCKEY
15. PICTURE 3 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO A LONDON UNDERGROUND JOURNEY
BETWEEN WHICH TWO STATIONS?
TUFNELL PARK and TOOTING BROADWAY
16. IN “THE SIMPSONS” KIRK AND LUANN ARE THE PARENTS OF WHICH CHILD?
MILHOUS
MOTHER-IN-LAW
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN MISSOURI IN 1835, I VARIOUSLY WORKED AS A PRINTER,
MINER AND RIVERBOAT PILOT AND IT WAS THIS LAST JOB THAT INSPIRED MY
PEN NAME. A PROLIFIC WRITER, I WROTE TRAVELOGUES, VERSE AND WORKED
AS A JOURNALIST, BUT I AM BEST KNOWN FOR TWO NOVELS PUBLISHED IN
1876 AND 1884. I DIED IN 1910.
SAMUEL LANGHORN CLEMENS aka MARK TWAIN
19. WHAT WAS UNUSUAL ABOUT THE GOALS IN A GAME OF BANDY BETWEEN
RUSSIAN TEAMS BAIKAL ENERGIYA AND VODNIK, WHICH FINISHED 11-9?
THEY WERE ALL OWN GOALS
20. A WEST MIDLANDS WOMAN IS SELLING SECONDHAND WHAT ON e BAY FOR
£200, DESCRIBING THEM AS “IN EXCELLENT CONDITION” AND “BARELY
BEEN USED”?
BREAST IMPLANTS
21. HOW WIDE, IN CENTIMETRES, IS LEONARDO DA VINCI’S PAINTING “THE LAST
SUPPER”?
878.8 CENTIMETRES

01. THE SINGERS ADELE, JESSIE J AND RIHANNA WERE ALL BORN IN THE SAME
YEAR, WHICH YEAR AND WHICH OF THEM IS THE ELDEST?
1988 and RIHANNA
02. WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE AUSTRALIAN MEDIA MOGUL WHO FORMED
WORLD SERIES CRICKET IN 1977?
KERRY PACKER
03. NAME THE TWO STATES OF THE USA WHICH HAVE THE LETTER ‘X’ IN THEIR
NAMES.
NEW MEXICO and TEXAS
04. WHICH FILM CHARACTER HAS BEEN PLAYED BY ALEC BALDWIN, HARRISON
FORD, BEN AFFLECK AND CHRIS PINE?
JACK RYAN
05. WHICH METAL IS THE MAIN COMPONENT OF THE ALLOY BRONZE?
COPPER
06. WHICH CHANCELLOR OF THE EXCHEQUER THIS WEEK PRESENTED HIS FIRST
BUDGET?
PHILLIP HAMMOND
07. PICTURE 1 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH SINGER AND
WHICH OF THEIR SONGS?
DAVID ESSEX and “LAMPLIGHT”
08. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE MAIN TROPHY COMPETED FOR IN NORTH
AMERICA’S NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE?
THE STANLEY CUP
09. NAME TWO OF THE FOUR ENGLISH CITIES WHICH HAVE THE LETTER ‘K’ IN
THEIR NAMES?
KINGSTON-UPON-HULL, STOKE-ON-TRENT, WAKEFIELD and YORK
10. IN “CORONATION STREET” THE LOCAL PRIMARY SCHOOL SHARES ITS’ NAME
WITH WHICH OF WETHERFIELD’S STREETS?
BESSIE STREET
11. WHAT IS THE ANSWER TO THE SUM IN PICTURE 2?
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE FIRST FLASH GORDON COMIC STRIP WAS PUBLISHED,
CRICKET’S FIRST WOMEN’S TEST MATCH WAS PLAYED AND THE “DR WHO”
ACTOR TOM BAKER WAS BORN.
13. THE BEATLES HOLD THE RECORD FOR THE MOST US No1 SINGLES BY A
BRITISH GROUP, BUT WHICH GROUP IS SECOND ON THE LIST?
THE BEE GEES
14. BETWEEN 1971 AND 2005 WHICH CLUB WON ENGLISH RUGBY UNION’S CUP
COMPETITION ON THE MOST OCCASIONS?
BATH
15. NAME THE COUNTRY HIGHLIGHTED IN PICTURE 3.
PARAGUAY
16. WHICH ACTOR PLAYED CAPTAIN HOOK IN THE FILM “HOOK” AND VOICED
MASTER SHIFU IN THE “KUNG FU PANDA” TRILOGY?
DUSTIN HOFFMAN
53 PLAYERS IN AN AMERICAN FOOTBALL TEAM
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN ONTARIO IN 1962, I EXPERIENCED LIMITED SUCCESS AS A
STAND-UP COMEDIAN BEFORE MOVING TO HOLLYWOOD AND APPEARING AT
THE COMEDY STORE. AFTER MINOR TV ROLES IN THE 80s MY CAREER TOOK
OFF AFTER THREE FILM ROLES IN 1994. I WON BACK-TO-BACK GOLDEN
GLOBES IN 1998-99.
JIM CARREY
19. THE YAOHNANEN PEOPLE OF THE PACIFIC OCEAN ISLAND OF TANNA WORSHIP
WHICH BRITISH PUBLIC FIGURE AS A DEITY?
PRINCE PHILIP
20. MARYLAND’S FLYING DOG BREWERY PRODUCES A STOUT CALLED “PEARL
NECKLACE” THAT IS FLAVOURED WITH WHAT?
OYSTERS
21. HOW MANY BOOKS DID THE AUTHOR ENID BLYTON WRITE?

A red quiz for Red Nose Day.
01. IN WHICH YEAR WERE THE FOLLOWING SONGS ALL UK CHART SINGLES – “THE
RED STROKES” BY GARTH BROOKS, “THE RED SHOES” BY KATE BUSH AND
“COME ON YOU REDS” BY MANCHESTER UNITED FC?
02. WHICH CLUB WON FOOTBALL’S EUROPEAN CUP FOR THE ONLY TIME IN THEIR
HISTORY IN 1991?
RED STAR BELGRADE
03. WHAT IS THE COLLECIVE ENGLISH NAME GIVEN TO THE RED WINES OF THE
BORDEAUX REGION OF FRANCE?
CLARET
04. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE 1991 FILM, DIRECTED CO-WRITTEN AND STARRING
WARREN BEATTY, WHICH WON THE BEST DIRECTOR OSCAR?
“REDS”
05. WHAT TYPE OF BIRD IS SHOWN IN PICTURE 1?
REDSHANK
06. ON WHICH SIDE OF A SHIP IS A RED LIGHT DISPLAYED?
PORT or LEFT
07. ADAM LEVINE IS THE FRONTMAN OF WHICH CALIFORNIAN ROCK BAND, WHO
HAD THEIR BIGGEST HIT IN 2012?
MAROON 5
08. PICTURE 2 SHOWS THE BADGE OF WHICH AMERICAN SPORTS TEAM?
CINCINNATI REDS
09. NAME TWO OF THE SIX COUNTRIES WHICH BORDER THE RED SEA.
DJIBOUTI, EGYPT, ERITREA, SAUDI ARABIA, SUDAN and YEMEN
10. WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE 1995 DENZEL WASHINGTON THRILLER, WHICH
RECEIVED THREE OSCAR NOMINATIONS?
“CRIMSON TIDE”
11. WHAT TYPE OF CREATURE IS A RED BILLED CHOUGH?
A BIRD
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE DETROIT RED WINGS WON THEIR 11th STANLEY CUP,
RUBY WALSH WAS THE CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL’S LEADING JOCKEY FOR
THE THIRD TIME AND SIX RED SNOOKER MADE ITS’ COMPETITIVE DEBUT.
13. BEST KNOWN FOR THEIR 1969 DEBUT ALBUM, BUT STILL PLAYING TODAY,
NAME THE BAND IN PICTURE 3.
KING CRIMSON
14. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING RACEHORSES IS THE ODD ONE OUT – RED RUM,
RED MARAUDER, RED HANDED OR RED ALLIGATOR?
RED HANDED – all the rest have won the Grand National
15. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE MOUNTAIN RANGE THAT RUNS FOR 80 MILES
THROUGH THE NORTHEAST CORNER OF NEVEADA?
RUBY MOUNTAINS
16. NAME THE ACTOR AND COMEDIAN IN PICTURE 4.
RED BUTTONS
17. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE FLAG FLOWN EXCLUSIVELY BY BRITISH
MECHANT NAVY SHIPS?
RED ENSIGN
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN MANHATTAN IN 1984, I MADE MY FILM DEBUTIN 1994, BUT
FIRST GAINED ACCLAIM FOR A 1998 ROLE.DIVERSIFYING INTO MUSIC, I
RELEASED MY FIRST ALBUM IN 2008. I HAVE WON A BAFTA AND A TONY.
SCARLETT JOHANSSON
19. THE RED FOOD COLOURING COCHINEAL IS OBTAINED FROM WHAT?
BEETLES
20. TRUE OR FALSE – IN ANCIENT ROME SLAVES WITH RED HAIR FETCHED A
LOWER PRICE?
FALSE
21. ACCORDING TO HISTORICAL RESEARCH IN WHAT YEAR DID THE VIKING
EXPLORER ERIK THE RED DIE?
#168155 by IAN B
Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:25 pm
And a few more.....

01. IN THIS WEEK OF WHICH YEAR WERE THE UK’S TOP THREE SINGLES “BACK FOR GOOD” BY TAKE THAT, “DON’T STOP” BY THE OUTHERE BROTHERS AND “TWO CAN PLAY THAT GAME” BY BOBBY BROWN?
02. PLAYERS FROM WHICH FOOTBALL CLUB HAVE WON THE PFA YOUNG PLAYER OF THE YEAR AWARD ON THE MOST OCCASSIONS?
MANCHESTER UNITED
03. IN WHICH SPANISH CITY IS THE WORLD’S LARGEST CATHEDRAL?
SEVILLE
04. IN THE TELEVISION SHOW “FRIENDS” WHICH OF THE TWO MAIN CHARACTERS WERE BROTHER AND SISTER?
MONICA and ROSS
05. WHAT IS THE MIDDLE NAME OF CATHERINE, THE DUCHESS OF CAMBRIDGE?
ELIZABETH
06. WHICH TEAM WON LAST WEEKEND’S UNIVERSITY BOAT RACE?
OXFORD
07. PICTURE 1 GIVES CLUES TO THE LYRICS OF WHICH SONG?
“LUCY IN THE SKY WITH DIAMONDS”
08. WHICH IS THE TALLEST FENCE ON THE GRAND NATIONAL COURSE?
THE CHAIR
09. SOLDIERS FROM THE GURKHA REGIMENTS ARE NATIVES OF WHICH COUNTRY?
NEPAL
10. NAME THE TELEVISION PROGRAMME IN PICTURE 2.
“RED DWARF”
11. RUPERT IS LOOKING AT HIS FAMILY PHOTO ALBUM, THE FIRST SECTION SHOWS ALL HIS GREAT GREAT GREAT GRANDPARENTS, THE SECOND ALL HIS GREAT GREAT GRANDPARENTS, THE THIRD ALL HIS GREAT GRANPARENTS, THE FOURTH ALL HIS GRANPARENTS AND THE LATEST PAGE SHOWS HIM WITH HIS PARENTS. IN TOTAL HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE IN THE PHOTOGRAPHS?
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE UK FIRST APPLIED TO JOIN THE EEC, THE LAST BLACK AND WHITE FILM FOR 32 YEARS WON THE OSCAR FOR BEST PICTURE AND ASTON VILLA BEAT ROTHERHAM UNITED TO WIN THE LEAGUE CUP.
13. WHAT WAS THE LAST NAME OF THE FRONTMAN OF THE LIVERPOOL BAND GERRY & THE PACEMAKERS?
MARSDEN
14. NAME THE SPORTSMAN SHOWN IN HIS YOUNGER DAYS IN PICTURE 3.
RYAN GIGGS
15. DEBRECEN IS THE SECOND LARGEST CITY IN WHICH EUROPEAN COUNTRY?
HUNGARY
16. FOR WHICH FILM DID CLINT EASTWOOD WIN HIS FIRST ACADEMY AWARD?
“UNFORGIVEN”
3 BONES IN THE HUMAN EAR
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN KENTUCKY IN 1932, MY BACKGROUND INSPIRED MY NICKNAME WHILST MY 1948 MARRIAGE WAS TO INSPIRE MY MUSIC. A SELF TAUGHT GUITARIST, I HAD THE FIRST OF 16 No1s IN 1967. I WAS INDUCTED INTO THE COUNTRY MUSIC HALL OF FAME IN 1988.
LORETTA LYNN
19. A MUSEUM IN CASTELBOSCO, ITALY WAS THE FIRST IN THE WORLD TO DISPLAY EXHIBITS MADE FROM WHAT?
DUNG/FAECES
20. TRUE OR FALSE – SAINT BIBIANA IS THE PATRON SAINT OF HANGOVERS?
TRUE
21. IN KM/H WHAT IS THE CURRENT UNLIMITED WATER SPEED RECORD?
511KM/H

A loosely based Easter quiz
01. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING IS A MEMBER OF THE WELSH RAP GROUP “GOLDIE LOOKING CHAIN” – BUNNY, CHOCCO OR EGGSY?
EGGSY
02. JERMAINE EASTER HAS PLAYED INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL FOR WHICH COUNTRY?
WALES
03. WHICH ISLAND IN NEW YORK STATE DERIVES ITS’ NAME FROM THE DUTCH WORD FOR RABBIT?
CONEY ISLAND
04. IN WHICH 1980 FILM DID BOB HOSKINS PLAY THE CHARACTER HAROLD SHAND?
“THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY”
05. TRADITIONALLY EATEN AT EASTER, WHAT TYPE OF CAKE IS SHOWN IN PICTURE 1?
SIMNEL CAKE
06. THE 1928 EASTER ACT SOUGHT TO DO WHAT – STANDARDISE THE SIZE OF EASTER EGGS, MAKE EASTER FALL ON THE SAME DATE EVERY YEAR OR CREATE A LESS COMMERCIAL EASTER?
MAKE EASTER FALL ON THE SAME DATE
07. WHICH COMPOSER AND LYRICIST WROTE THE MUSIC AND SONGS FOR THE 1948 FILM “EASTER PARADE”?
IRVING BERLIN
08. NAME THE SPORTS STADIUM SHOWN IN PICTURE 2.
EASTER ROAD
09. WHICH COUNTRY HAS THE HIGHEST CONSUMPTION OF CHOCOLATE PER HEAD OF THE POPULATION?
SWITZERLAND
10. “IT’S THE EASTER BEAGLE” WAS A FESTIVE EPISODE OF WHICH TELEVISION CARTOON SHOW?
“CHARLIE BROWN” or “PEANUTS”
11. IN PICTURE 3 THE FIRST EASTER EGG IS FAT FRED’S FAVOURITE, BUT THE SHOP IS ONLY DISPLAYING THE PACKS OF THREE. FRED IS TOLD HE CAN SPLIT THE PACKS, BUT MUST BUY THREE OF HIS FAVOURITES. HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
£7.50 (Red egg is £1.50, multi-coloured £2.00 and hooped £2.50)
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE GOOD FRIDAY AGREEMENT WAS SIGNED, “CHOCOLATE SALTY BALLS” BY “SOUTH PARK’S” CHEF WAS A HIT SINGLE AND THE AMERICAN MUSICIAN EDDIE RABBITT DIED.
13. BEST KNOWN FOR THEIR 1981 TOP TEN HIT “THE CUTTER”, NAME THE BAND IN
PICTURE 4.
ECHO & THE BUNNYMEN
14. BUNNY AUSTIN REPRESENTED GREAT BRITAIN IN WHAT SPORT?
TENNIS
15. WHICH SOUTH AMERICAN COUNTRY GOVERNS EASTER ISLAND?
CHILE
16. WHICH ACTRESS PLAYED THE BUNNY BOILER IN THE 1987 FILM “FATAL ATTRACTION”?
GLENN CLOSE
17. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE THURSDAY BEFORE EASTER?
MAUNDY THURSDAY
18. WHY IS THE RUNWAY AT EASTER ISLAND’S AIRPORT SO LONG – IT WAS BUILT FOR ATTEMPTS AT THE LAND SPEED RECORD, IT’S AN EMERGENCY LANDING STRIP FOR THE SPACE SHUTTLE OR THE BUILDERS LAID IT IN METRES RATHER THAN YARDS?
IT’S AN EMERGENCY LANDING STRIP FOR THE SPACE SHUTTLE
19. THE TRADITION OF THE EASTER BUNNY BEGAN IN GERMANY IN THE 1700s, BUT WHAT ANIMAL WAS FIRST USED?
A HARE
20. ACCORDING TO RESEARCH 76% OF PEOPLE EAT WHAT PART OF A CHOCOLATE EASTER BUNNY FIRST?
ITS’ EARS
21. ACCORDING TO “GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS” THE LARGEST CHOCOLATE EASTER EGG EVER MADE WAS DISPLAYED IN THE ITALIAN TOWN OF TOSCA, HOW MUCH, IN LBS AND OUNCES, DID IT WEIGH?
15873 LBS 4.48 OUNCES
#168187 by IAN B
Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:02 am
They say all good things come to an end, but it was, to say the least, a bit of surprise when The Railway terminated my quiz despite still pulling in regular punters after six years there.
Here are my final few quizzes.....

01. NAME THE YEAR. ALED JONES WAS BORN, JANIS JOPLIN DIED AND DAVID BOWIE MARRIED.
02. WHICH TWO FOOTBALL CLUBS PLAY IN THE LISBON DERBY?
BENFICA and SPORTING LISBON
03. IN WHICH CITY WOULD YOU FIND THE LARGEST CATHEDRAL IN ENGLAND?
LIVERPOOL
04. WHO IS THE ALTER EGO OF THE COMIC BOOK AND FILM CHARACTER IRON
MAN?
TONY STARK
05. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE DOLL SINDY’S BOYFRIEND?
PAUL
06. WHICH MAGAZINE HAS RECENTLY APPOINTED ITS’ FIRST EVER MALE EDITOR?
“VOGUE”
07. PICTURE 1 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH BAND AND WHICH
OF THEIR SONGS?
THE ALARM and “68 GUNS”
08. NAME TWO OF THE THREE RACES THAT MAKE UP MOTOR RACING’S “TRIPLE
CROWN”?
INDIANAPOLIS 500, LE MANS 24 HOURS and MONACO GRAND PRIX
09. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE BODY OF WATER THAT SEPARATES MAINLAND
USA FROM CUBA?
STRAITS OF FLORIDA
10. THE PLAYWRIGHT GEORGE BERNARD SHAW DESCRIBED WHO AS “THE ONLY
GENIUS TO COME OUT OF THE MOVIE INDUSTRY”?
CHARLIE CHAPLIN (
11. I AM THINKING OF ONE OF THE FIVE PLAYING CARDS IN PICTURE 2. THE VALUE
OF MY CARD IS A PRIME NUMBER. THE VALUES OF ITS’ TWO NEIGHBOURS ADD
UP TO A MULTIPLE OF THREE, MY CARD IS NEXT TO A CARD WHICH IS NEXT TO
THE TWO OF HEARTS. WHICH CARD AM I THINKING OF?
TWO OF HEARTS
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE UK’S LARGEST ARTIFICIAL LAKE WAS OFFICIALLY
OPENED, THE FORD SIERRA MADE ITS’ DEBUT AND THE TV SHOW “FAME”
WAS FIRST SCREENED.
13. BRIAN POOLE WAS THE FRONTMAN OF WHICH 50s AND 60s LONDON-BASED
GROUP?
THE TREMELOES
14. NAME THE FAMOUS SPORTSMAN SHOWN IN PICTURE 3.
SIR GARFIELD SOBERS
15. IN TERMS OF POPULATION WHAT IS CHINA’S SECOND BIGGEST CITY?
BEIJING
16. PICTURE 4 SHOWS THE TITLES OF WHICH TELEVISION PROGRAMME?
“TAGGART”
17. WHAT IS ADDED TO A ‘BLT’ SANDWICH TO MAKE IT A ‘BLAT’?
AVOCADO
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN SAN DIEGO IN 1916, I HAD AMBITIONS TO BE A DOCTOR,
BUT IT WAS WHILST AT UNIVERSITY THAT I WAS ENCOURAGED TO TAKE UP
ACTING. I MADE MY STAGE DEBUT IN 1941, MY FILM DEBUT IN 1944 AND I WAS
FIVE TIMES OSCAR NOMINATED AS BEST ACTOR, FINALLY WINNING FOR A
1962 FILM. I DIED IN 2003.
GREGORY PECK
19. THE INDIAN VILLAGE OF KAIRUPPLA HAS A FESTIVAL WHERE PEOPLE THROW
WHAT AT EACH OTHER TO PROMOTE GOOD HEALTH?
DUNG
20. AN AUSTRIAN ANTIQUES DEALER HAS ERECTED A 2000 YEAR OLD STATUE OF
WHAT IN HIS GARDEN, DESPITE OBJECTIONS FROM THE LOCAL COUNCIL?
A PENIS
21. IN WHAT YEAR WAS THE FIRST KNOWN RECIPE FOR CRISPS PUBLISHED?

01. IN THIS WEEK OF WHICH YEAR WERE THE UK’S TOP THREE SINGLES –
“KNOWING ME, KNOWING YOU” BY ABBA, “RED LIGHT SPELLS DANGER” BY
BILLY OCEAN AND “FREE” BY DENIECE WILLIAMS?
02. THE SON OF WHICH FAMOUS SINGER HAS JUST SCORED HIS FIRST GOAL FOR
GREAT BRITAIN’S ICE HOCKEY TEAM – TOM JONES, ROD STEWART OR PAUL
WELLER?
ROD STEWART
03. WHEN IT FIRST OPENED BY WHAT NAME WAS THE LONDON EYE KNOWN?
THE MILLENIUM WHEEL
04. WHICH AMERICAN FILM STUDIO WAS FOUNDED IN 1919 BY D.W.GRIFFITH,
CHARLIE CHAPLIN, DOUGLAS FAIRBANKS AND MARY PICKFORD?
UNITED ARTISTS
05. IN THE NURSERY RHYME “JACK AND JILL” WHAT DID JACK USE TO MEND
“HIS BROKEN CROWN”?
“VINEGAR AND BROWN PAPER”
06. CYCLING’S TOUR DE YORKSHIRE IS TAKING PLACE THIS WEEKEND, BUT IN
WHICH TOWN DID THE RACE START?
BRIDLINGTON
07. WHEN “TOP OF THE POPS” WAS FIRST BROADCAST WHO WAS TOP OF THE UK’S
SINGLES CHART?
THE BEATLES
08. PICTURE 1 SHOWS THE BADGE OF WHICH SPORTS TEAM?
ENGLAND RUGBY LEAGUE
09. 95% OF BOURBON IS MADE IN WHICH US STATE?
KENTUCKY
10. PICTURE 2 IS A COMPOSITE PICTURE MADE UP OF WHICH THREE ACTORS?
DANIEL RADCLIFFE, RUPERT GRINT and EMMA WATSON
11. IF YOU SPELT OUT ALL THE NUMBERS BETWEEN ONE AND TWENTY, THEN
PLACED THEM IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER, WHICH IS THE ONLY ONE THAT
WOULD REMAIN IN ITS’ NUMERICAL POSITION?
FIVE (Eight, eighteen, eleven, fifteen, five etc)
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE WORLD TRADE ORGANISATION WAS ESTABLISHED,
BLACKBURN ROVERS BROKE MANCHESTER UNITED’S HOLD ON THE PREMIER
LEAGUE TITLE AND “STAR TREK:VOYAGER” MADE ITS’ TV DEBUT.
13. PICTURE 3 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH BAND AND WHICH
OF THEIR SONGS?
LEVEL 42 and “LESSONS IN LOVE”
14. WHICH IS THE ONLY COUNTRY TO HAVE WON AT LEAST ONE GOLD MEDAL AT
EVERY SUMMER OLYMPIC GAMES?
GREAT BRITAIN
15. THE INTERNATIONAL DATE LINE RUNS THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF WHICH
OCEAN?
PACIFIC OCEAN
16. WHICH FORMER SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY PLAYER IS MENTIONED IN THE
CLOSING SONG LYRICS OF THE TV SHOW “ONLY FOOLS & HORSES”?
TREVOR FRANCIS
8, THE ATOMIC NUMBER OF OXYGEN
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN LYNWOOD, CALIFORNIA IN 1955, I FIRST DEVELOPED AN
INTEREST IN ACTING WHILST AT COLLEGE. I MADE BY FILM DEBUT IN 1981,
GIVING MY BREAKTHROUGH PERFORMANCE FOUR YEARS LATER. I WON TWO
OSCARS FOR A 1990 FILM. A MEMBER OF A COUNTRY ROCK BAND, I AM A
KEEN BASEBALL AND NASCAR FAN, HAVING CO-OWNED A BASEBALL TEAM.
KEVIN COSTNER
19. TRUE OR FALSE – “DIEGO MARADONA” IS GOLFING SLANG FOR A DIFFICULT
PUTT?
TRUE – a nasty little five footer
20. THE GOLDEN SPURTLE IS AWARDED ANNUALLY IN SCOTLAND FOR THE
MAKING OF WHAT?
PORRIDGE/PORAGE
21. IN CENTIMETRES HOW TALL IS THE WORLD’S TALLEST FERRIS WHEEL?
16764CMS

01. NAME THE YEAR. THE SINGER CEELO GREEN WAS BORN, DUKE ELLINGTON
DIED AND AMERICAN DUO CAPTAIN & TENNILLE MARRIED.
02. MARK SELBY HAS WON THE CRUCIBLE’S 40th WORLD SNOOKER CHAMPIONSHIP
BUT HOW MANY DIFFERENT PLAYERS HAVE WON THERE – 18, 20 OR 22?
03. THE THREE LARGEST CITIES IN THE US STATE OF OHIO ALL BEGIN WITH THE
SAME LETTER, NAME TWO OF THE CITIES.
CINCINNATI, CLEVELAND and COLUMBUS
04. WHO IS THE YOUNGEST ACTOR TO HAVE PLAYED DR WHO ON TELEVISION?
MATT SMITH
05. FROM THE WORLD OF ENTERTAINMENT, PICTURE 1 SHOWS THE LOGO OF
WHAT?
LE CIRQUE DU SOLEIL
06. FORMER LABOUR PARTY LEADERSHIP CANDIDATE ANDY BURNHAM HAS JUST
BECOME THE FIRST ELECTED MAYOR FOR WHERE?
GREATER MANCHESTER
07. THE LYRICIST HAL DAVID IS BEST KNOWN FOR HIS COLLABORATIONS WITH
WHICH COMPOSER?
BURT BACHARACH
08. PICTURE 2 SHOWS THE BADGES OF SPORTS TEAMS BASED IN WHICH BRITISH
TOWN?
NORTHAMPTON
09. THE CITY OF DERBY STANDS ON WHICH RIVER?
RIVER DERWENT
10. IN THE “NODDY” STORIES TOYLAND’S HANDYMAN WAS CALLED – MR SPARKS,
MR SPANNER OR MR SPOUT?
MR SPARKS
11. A CRICKET CLUB WANTS TO RAISE FUNDS TO REPAIR THEIR CLUBHOUSE ROOF.
THEY SELL TICKETS TO ALL 500 RESIDENTS OF THE VILLAGE, RAISING £1150.
ADULT TICKETS ARE £2.50, CHILDREN’S £0.50. THERE ARE A QUARTER AS MANY
CHILDREN AS WOMEN AND THE CHILDREN RAISE £25. HOW MANY MEN ARE
THERE IN THE VILLAGE?
250 (250x£2.50) + (200x£2.50) + (50x£0.50)
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE FINAL SKYLAB MISSION RETURNED TO EARTH, PARIS’
CHARLES DE GAULLE AIRPORT OPENED AND THE FIRST VW GOLFS WENT ON
SALE IN GERMANY.
13. PICTURE 3 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH BAND AND WHICH
OF THEIR SONGS?
LIGHTNING SEEDS and “THREE LIONS”
14. CARL FOGARTY WON HIS FOUR WORLD SUPERBIKE CHAMPIONSHIPS RIDING
WHAT MAKE OF BIKE?
DUCATI
15. WHICH EUROPEAN CAPITAL CITY HAD THE WORLD’S SECOND UNDERGROUND
TRAIN NETWORK – BUDAPEST, LONDON, MOSCOW OR PARIS?
BUDAPEST
16. RICK BLAINE WAS THE MAIN CHARACTER IS WHICH CLASSIC FILM?
“CASABLANCA”
K SCORES 5 IN SCRABBLE
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN DETROIT IN 1935, AS A CHILD MY MOTHER GAVE ME MY
LIFELONG NICKNAME. MY MUSIC CAREER BEGAN AS A SONGWRITER, BUT IN
1965 I BECAME PART OF A SINGING DUO, HAVING OUR FIRST No1 THE SAME
YEAR. AFTER OUR OWN TV SHOW IN THE 70s, I GUEST STARRED ON SEVERAL
TV PROGRAMMES IN THE 80s BEFORE A MOVE INTO POLITICS. I DIED IN 1998.
SONNY BONO
19. ON AVERAGE WOMEN WALK 7300 MILES IN THEIR LIFETIME, MEN ONLY 850
MILES, WHILST DOING WHAT?
VACUUMING
20. AMERICAN CLOTHES COMPANY NORDSTROM ARE SELLING $425 DESIGNER
JEANS COVERED IN WHAT?
MUD
21. ALFRED ‘TICH’ FREEMAN HOLDS THE RECORDS FOR TAKING THE MOST
WICKETS IN CRICKET’S COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP, HOW MANY DID HE TAKE IN
HIS CAREER?

01. NAME THE YEAR. THE ALLMAN BROTHERS HEADLINED THE FIRST
KNEBWORTH FESTIVAL, LED ZEPPELIN LAUNCHED THEIR OWN RECORD LABEL
AND MICK JONES LEFT THE ROLLING STONES.
02. DELE ALLI RECENTLY BECAME THE FOURTH PLAYER TO BE VOTED PFA YOUNG
PLAYER OF THE YEAR TWICE, NAME TWO OF THE OTHER THREE.
ROBBIE FOWLER, RYAN GIGGS and WAYNE ROONEY
03. NAME THE THREE COUNTRIES IN THE WORLD WHOSE ENGLISH NAME BEGIN
WITH THE LETTER ‘H’.
HAITI, HONDURAS and HUNGARY
04. IN THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS AND FILMS WHAT TYPE OF CREATURE IS ON
THE HOUSE SHIELD OF GRYFFINDOR?
A LION
05. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING POSITIONS HAS THE YOUNGEST AGE LIMIT – UK
PRIME MINISTER, US PRESIDENT OR RUSSIAN PRESIDENT?
UK PRIME MINISTER
06. FRANCE THIS WEEK ELECTED THEIR NEW PRESIDENT, WHAT IS HIS NAME?
EMMANUEL MACRON
OF THEIR SONGS?
PUSSYCAT and “MISSISSIPPI”
08. SNOOKER’S TRIPLE CROWN IS COMPRISED OF THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
AND TWO OTHER TOURNAMENTS. NAME ONE OF THEM.
THE MASTERS and UK CHAMPIONSHIPS
09. WHICH COUNTRY IS KNOWN AS “THE COCKPIT OF EUROPE”?
BELGIUM
10. PICTURE 2 IS A COMPOSITE PICTURE OF WHICH TWO FILM STARS?
KIEFER SUTHERLAND and PIERCE BROSNAN
11. FOR ROBERT’S BIRTHDAY PARTY, CHARLIE, WHO’S 12, PROVIDES POTATO
CRISPS, WAYNE 13 BRINGS FIZZY LEMONADE, HELEN 11 PAPER PLATES AND
PETER, WHO’S 9, PAPER CUPS. SHEILA, WHO’S THE SAME AGE AS CHARLIE,
PROVIDES PARTY POPPERS AND HORACE BRINGS PEANUTS.
HOW OLD IS HORACE?
7 – age equals the number of letters in the items they provide
12. NAME THE YEAR. POLAND BANNED THE TRADE UNION “SOLIDARITY”, THE
LAST FORD CORTINA WAS MADE AND THE UNITED NATIONS DECLARED THE
FIRST INTERNATIONAL DAY OF PEACE.
13. WHAT TYPE OF DRINK LINKS THE SONGS “HOTEL CALIFORNIA”, “LIVIN’ LA
VIDA LOCA” AND “KILLER QUEEN”?
CHAMPAGNE
14. IN WHAT SPORT IS THE PIECE OF EQUIPMENT IN PICTURE 3 WORN?
POLO
15. THE ALBORNA, LIGURIAN AND TYRRHENIAN SEAS ARE ALL PART OF WHICH
LARGER BODY OF WATER?
MEDITERRANEAN SEA
16. IN FILMS THE CHRACTER JOHN HAMMOND IS RESPONSIBLE FOR CREATING
WHAT – JURASSIC PARK, ROBOCOP OR WESTWORLD?
JURASSIC PARK
ONE FOOT IN THE GRAVE
18. WHO AM I? BORN NEAR MELBOURNE IN 1969, I EARNED A SPORTS SCHOLARSHIP
BEFORE MAKING MY FIRST CLASS DEBUT IN 1991 AND STARTING A 15 YEAR
INTERNATIONAL CAREER A YEAR LATER. A CONTROVERSIAL FIGURE ON AND
OFF THE FIELD, I HAVE APPEARED IN SEVERAL ADS AND A REALITY TV SHOW.
SHANE WARNE
19. THE ANCIENT ROMAN EMPEROR CLAUDIUS LEGALIZED WHAT AT BANQUETS
TO AID PUBLIC HEALTH?
FLATULENCE
20. THE NORREBRO BREWERY IN DENMARK HAS BEGUN MAKING A BEER USING
WHAT UNUSUAL INGREDIENT?
HUMAN URINE
21. DURING HIS RUGBY LEAGUE CAREER HOW MANY POINTS DID KEVIN SINFIELD
SCORE FOR LEEDS RHINOS?