• Topic Title

• Topic description
Challenge fellow quizzers by posting your favourite questions and quizzes here.

Moderators: playgirl, JUS, rodbox

#168418 by IAN B
Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:46 pm
After leaving my quiz with a stand-in QM for a couple of weeks I returned with the Bonfire Night-themed quiz on which the two winning teams managed 16/20.

01. IN WHICH YEAR DID THE KINKS’ “SUPERSONIC ROCKET SHIP”, PARCHMENT’S “LIGHT UP THE FIRE” AND “ROCKET MAN” BY ELTON JOHN ALL APPEAR IN THE UK SINGLES CHART?
02. WHAT IS THE NAME OF HOUSTON’S NBA BASKETBALL TEAM?
ROCKETS
03. WHICH ENGLISH CITY HAS A TRADITION OF NOT BURNING A GUY AS IT WAS THE HOME CITY OF GUY FAWKES?
YORK
04. NAME THE FILM FEATURED IN PICTURE 1.
“BONFIRE OF THE VANITIES”
05. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE CHINESE TEA BLEND IN WHICH THE LEAVES ARE ROLLED INTO SMALL PELLETS?
GUNPOWDER TEA
06. THE GUNPOWDER PLOT WAS AN ATTEMPT TO OVERTHROW WHICH ENGLISH KING?
KING JAMES I
07. WHO HAD A 2010 UK TOP THREE HIT WITH THE SONG “FIREWORK”?
KATY PERRY
08. WHAT IS THE NICKNAME AND NAME OF THE TENNIS PLAYER IN PICTURE 2?
‘ROCKET’ ROD LAVER
09. IN WHICH LONDON PUB IS THE GUNPOWDER PLOT RUMOURED TO HAVE BEEN PLANNED – THE DOG & DUCK, THE DUCK & DRAKE OR THE ROASTED DUCK?
THE DUCK & DRAKE
10. WHICH TELEVISION SHOW FOLLOWS THE LIVES OF THE CHARACTERS LEONARD HOFSTADTLER AND SHELDON COOPER?
“THE BIG BANG THEORY”
11. HOW MANY BARRELS OF GUNPOWDER ARE REPORTED TO HAVE BEEN FOUND IN THE PALACE OF WESTMINSTER DURING THE GUNPOWDER PLOT – 16, 26 OR 36?
12. IN WHAT YEAR WAS AN ACT OF PARLIAMENT MAKING THE CELEBRATION OF BONFIRE NIGHT COMPULSORY REPEALED – 1759, 1859 OR 1959?
13. WITH WHICH SONG DID LULU FINISH JOINT FIRST IN THE 1969 EUROVISION SONG CONTEST?
“BOOM BANG A BANG”
14. WHAT TEAM NAME DID THE DUSSELDORF-BASED TEAM HAVE IN THE WORLD LEAGUE OF AMERICAN FOOTBALL?
RHEIN FIRE
15. WHAT IS THE OLDEST CITY IN WALES?
BANGOR
16. IN WHICH FILM DID THE GUY FAWKES MASK WEARING CHARACTER IN PICTURE 3 APPEAR?
“V FOR VENDETTA”
17. THE DITLOID IN PICTURE 4 IS THE NEXT LINE OF THE VERSE “REMEMBER, REMEMBER THE FIFTH OF NOVEMBER”, WHAT DOES IT REPRESENT?
“GUNPOWDER, TREASON AND PLOT
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN LONDONDERRY IN 1958, I WAS EDUCATED AT MILLFIELD SCHOOL BEFORE GRADUATING FROM THE RMA SANDHURST. AFTER SERVING IN THE GULF WAR, I LEFT THE ARMY IN 1994 TO PURSUE BUSINESS INTERESTS. A SENSATIONAL NEWS STORY OF THE MID-90s SAW ME SERVE AS THE KENT TOWN OF EDENBRIDGE’S FIRST CELEBRITY GUY.
MAJOR JAMES HEWITT
19. IN 1908 AMERICAN WW KOLB PRODUCED THE WORLD’S FIRST WHAT - TOFFEE APPLE, SPARKLER OR INDOOR FIREWORK?
TOFFEE APPLE
20. THE FIRST FIREWORK DISPLAY IN ENGLAND WAS USED TO CELEBRATE – NEW YEAR, A WEDDING OR A BATTLE VICTORY?
A WEDDING
TIE BREAKER (nearest answer wins)
21. IN INCHES WHAT IS THE DIAMETER OF THE LARGEST CATHERINE WHEEL EVER MADE?
1261.575 INCHES

G, T a P
#168421 by IAN B
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:36 pm
The Bridge regulars found this a little tougher with two teams scoring 15/20.

01. IN THIS WEEK OF WHAT YEAR WERE THE UK’S TOP THREE SINGLES – “GET OFF MY CLOUD” BY THE ROLLING STONES, “TEARS” BY KEN DODD AND CHRIS ANDREWS’ “YESTERDAY MAN”?
02. IN PROFESSIONAL BOXING WHICH WEIGHT DIVISION IS BELOW HEAVYWEIGHT?
CRUISERWEIGHT
03. WHICH IS THE ONLY ENGLISH CITY TO HAVE PART OF A NATIONAL PARK WITHIN ITS’ CITY BOUNDARIES?
SHEFFIELD
04. ON TELEVISION IF YOU ADDED TOGETHER THE NUMBER OF CHILDREN IN “THE WALTONS”, THE NUMBER OF PEGGY MITCHELL’S CHILDREN IN “EASTENDERS” AND THE NUMBER OF CHILDREN KEVIN AND SALLY WEBSTER HAVE IN “CORONATION STREET”WHAT NUMBER SHOULD YOU HAVE?
12 (7+3+2)
05. IN 1924 WHICH WAS THE UK’S FIRST NATIONAL DAILY NEWSPAPER TO PUBLISH A CROSSWORD?
“THE DAILY EXPRESS”
06. WHO TODAY LAID A WREATH AT THE CENOTAPH ON BEHALF OF THE QUEEN?
PRINCE CHARLES
07. PICTURE 1 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH GROUP AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS?
THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY and “WALKING IN THE RAIN”
08. WHICH IS THE ONLY WINNER OF THE GRAND NATIONAL TO SHARE ITS’ NAME WITH THE EVENT’S SPONSOR?
SEAGRAM
09. NAME THE THREE STATES OF THE USA WHOSE NAMES BEGIN WITH THE LETTER ‘O’.
OHIO, OKLAHOMA and OREGON
10. PICTURE 2 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO STARS OF WHICH TELEVISION SHOW?
“BLUE PETER”
11. PAUL IS CURRENTLY HALF HIS FATHER DAVID’S AGE. IN TEN YEARS TIME PAUL WILL BE 3/5 OF DAVID’S AGE, WHILST TEN YEARS AGO HE WAS 1/3 OF HIS AGE. HOW OLD ARE PAUL AND DAVID NOW?
20 and 40
12. NAME THE YEAR. SIR CHRISTOPHER WREN FIRST APPEARED ON THE £50 NOTE, THE SEAFARING SOAP OPERA “TRIANGLE” MADE ITS’ TELEVISION DEBUT AND LEICESTER RFC WON THEIR THIRD SUCCESSIVE JOHN PLAYER CUP.
13. THE “1812 OVERTURE” WAS WRITTEN TO CELEBRATE RUSSIA’S DEFENCE OF MOSCOW AGAINST NAPOLEON BY WHICH COMPOSER?
PYOTR ILYICH TCHAIKOVSKY
14. WHICH FOOTBALL CLUB, CURRENTLY PLAYING IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP, WAS THE FIRST TO WIN THE LEAGUE TITLE AND FA CUP DOUBLE?
PRESTON NORTH END
15. PICTURE 3 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO A LONDON UNDERGROUND JOURNEY BETWEEN WHICH TWO STATIONS?
WILLESDEN JUCTION to QUEEN’S PARK
16. THE 80s FILMS “GRIZZLY II:THE PREDATOR”, “COMBAT ACADEMY” AND “RETURN TO HORROR HIGH” WERE THE FIRST THREE FILMS OF WHICH OSCAR WINNING FILM STAR?
GEORGE CLOONEY
17. WHAT DOES THE DINGBAT IN PICTURE 4 REPRESENT?
STING IN THE TAIL
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN PECKHAM IN 1964, I WORKED ON A COVENT GARDEN VEG STALL BEFORE SETTING UP A GREENGROCERS. I HAD AN UNSUCCESSFUL CAREER AS A RESTRAUNTEUR. MY BROADCASTING CAREER BEGAN ON RADIO BEFORE MY TV DEBUT IN 2002.
GREGG WALLACE
19. WHAT IS TO BE SOLD IN CANADA FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 46 YEARS – BLACK PUDDING, HAGGIS OR TRIPE?
HAGGIS
20. A FLORIDA WOMAN WHO ORDERED STORAGE CONTAINERS FROM AMAZON WAS SURPRISED TO FIND THEY CONTAINED WHAT?
65LBS OF MARIJUANA
21. WHAT IS THE HIGHEST TOTAL SCORE EVER RECORDED IN A FIRST CLASS RUGBY UNION MATCH?
359 POINTS (356-3)

TASTINGIL
#168436 by IAN B
Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:06 pm
An impressive performance by The Bridge regulars where three teams scored 19/20.

01. IN THIS WEEK OF WHICH YEAR WERE THE SONGS AT NUMBERS 10, 20 AND 30 IN THE UK CHARTS – “HIGH HOPES” BY FRANK SINATRA, “POISON IVY” BY THE COASTERS AND “ALWAYS” BY SAMMY TURNER?
02. THE FOOTBALLER PELE’S NAME WAS INSPIRED BY WHICH INVENTOR?
THOMAS EDISON
03. PICTURE 1 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO WHICH THREE TOWNS OR CITIES AND NAME THE COUNTY IN WHICH THEY ARE LOCATED?
CASTLEFORD, LEEDS, WAKEFIELD and WEST YORSKHIRE
04. WHAT NAME LINKS THE TELEVISION SERIES “PRISON BREAK” AND “PRISONER: CELL BLOCK H”?
WENTWORTH
05. SUNLIGHT IS THE MAIN SOURCE OF WHICH VITAMIN?
VITAMIN D
06. DUE TO NEW LEGISLATION IN AUSTRALIA PEOPLE CAN ON LONGER CLIMB WHAT?
ULURU or AYERS ROCK
07. PICTURE 2 IS A COMPOSITE PICTURE OF WHICH TWO SINGERS?
ED SHEERAN and HARRY STYLES
08. WHICH SPORTS TEAM OWNS THE RICOH ARENA, THE HOME OF COVENTRY CITY FC?
WASPS
09. NAME ONE OF THE TWO US STATES WHICH SURROUND THE CITY OF WASHINGTON DC?
MARYLAND and VIRGINIA
10. IN 1984 FOR WHAT WAS MICHAEL JACKSON FILMING A COMMERCIAL WHEN HIS HAIR WAS ACCIDENTALLY SET ON FIRE?
PEPSI COLA
11. IF IT TAKES FIVE LOOMS FIVE MINUTES TO PRODUCE FIVE METRES OF TWEED CLOTH, HOW LONG WOULD IT TAKE ONE HUNDRED MACHINES TO PRODUCE ONE HUNDRED METRES OF TWEED?
FIVE MINUTES
12. NAME THE YEAR. THE FIRSTSPECIAL OLYMPICS WAS HELD IN CHICAGO, LONDON BRIDGE WAS SOLD TO A AMERICAN ENTREPRENEUR AND “PLANET OF THE APES” MADE ITS’ CINEMATIC DEBUT.
13. WHICH SINGER’S MOST RECENT WORLD TOUR WAS CALLED “THE MRS CARTER SHOW”?
BEYONCE
14. PICTURE 3 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO WHICH EUROPEAN TROPHY WINNING BRITISH FOOTBALL CLUB?
IPSWICH TOWN (Gates, Butcher, Mariner and Brazil)
15. IN WHICH COUNTRY WAS HAAGEN DAZS ICE CREM FIRST MADE?
THE USA
16. IN THE CHILDREN’S CARTOON FIREMAN SAM’S FIRE ENGINE SHARES ITS’ NAME WITH WHICH PLANET?
JUPITER
17. WHAT DOES THE DITLOID IN PICTURE 4 REPRESENT?
1120 POUNDS IN HALF A TON
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN HASTINGS IN 1981, MY FOOTBALL CAREER BEGAN AT BRIGHTON & HOVE ALBION, BUT I NEVER MADE AN APPEARANCE BEFORE MOVING TO THE FIRST OF FOUR PREMIER LEAGUE CLUBS. I HAVE LEAGUE WINNERS AND FA CUP WINNERS MEDALS AND HOLD THE RECORD FOR THE MOST PREMIER LEAGUE YELLOW CARDS. I HAVE 53 INTERNATIONAL CAPS.
GARETH BARRY
19. DUDLEY TOWN FC HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO PLAY THEIR LAST TWO HOME GAMES AFTER THEIR PITCH WAS DUG UP – BY ACCIDENT, BY BADGERS OR BY VANDALS?
BY BADGERS
20. HOOKER’S LIPS, STICKY WILLY AND STIFFCOCK ARE ALL TYPES OF WHAT?
PLANTS
21. HOW MANY WORDS ARE THERE IN JRR TOLKIEN’S “THE LORD OF THE RINGS”?

1120 P i H a T
#168441 by IAN B
Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:42 pm
The Bridge's latest quiz was Sheffield-themed, although I think some entrants' citizenship needs checking - the winning score was 17/20.

01. IN WHICH YEAR DID PULP HAVE UK CHART HITS WITH “COMMON PEOPLE”, “MIS-SHAPES” AND “DISCO 2000”?
02. SINCE THE TURN OF THE CENTURY HOW MANY PERMANENT MANAGERS HAVE SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY HAD?
12 (Wilson, Jewell, Shreeves, Yorath, Turner, Sturrock, Laws, Irvine, Megson, Jones, Gray
and Carvahal)
03. SHEFFIELD HAS FIVE SISTER CITIES AROUND THE WORLD, NAME ANY TWO OF THEM.
ANSHAN, BOCHUM, CHENGDU, DONETSK and ESTELLI
04. WHO PLAYED THE TITLE CHARACTER IN THE “TRACIE’S STORY” EPISODE OF THE TELEVISION DRAMA “ACCUSED”?
SEAN BEAN
05. SHEFFIELD TOWN HALL’S CLOCK TOWER IS TOPPED BY A STATUE OF THE ROMAN GOD OF FIRE, WHAT IS HIS NAME?
VULCAN
06. NAME THREE OF THE FIVE SHEFFIELD PARLIAMENTARY CONSTITUENCIES.
BRIGHTSIDE & HILLSBOROUGH, CENTRAL, HALLAM, HEELEY and SOUTH EAST
07. WHICH SINGER WAS THE FIRST PERSON TO PLAY THE SHEFFIELD ARENA AS PART OF HIS WORLD TOUR?
PAUL SIMON
08. PICTURE 1 SHOWS THE BADGE OF WHICH OF THE CITY’S SPORTS TEAMS?
SHEFFIELD RUFC
09. WHICH IS REPORTEDLY THE OLDEST PUB IN SHEFFIELD?
“THE OLD QUEEN’S HEAD”
10. NAME THE SHEFFIELD-BORN PERSONALITY SHOWN IN PICTURE 2.
PETER STRINGFELLOW
11. IF YOU ADDED TOGETHER THE NUMBER OF HILLS ON WHICH SHEFFIELD IS SAID TO STAND, THE NUMBER OF RIVERS IN THE CITY AND THE NUMBER OF TRAM STOPS WITHIN THE CITY BOUNDARIES WHAT NUMBER SHOULD YOU HAVE?
60 (7+5+48)
12. NAME THE YEAR. HAROLD STACK SERVED AS THE CITY’S LORD MAYOR, SHEFFIELD’S LAST TRAM MADE ITS’ FINAL JOURNEY AND WEDNESDAY BEAT UNITED 2-0 IN THE FA CUP QUARTER FINAL.
13. PICTURE 3 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH BAND AND WHICH OF THEIR ALBUMS?
HEAVEN 17 and “LUXURY GAP”
14. WHICH SHEFFIELD-BORN GOLFER WAS THE SURPRISE WINNER OF THE 2016 MASTERS?
DANNY WILLETT
15. PICTURE 4 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO A BUS JOURNEY BETWEEN WHICH TWO DISTRICTS?
SANDYGATE to CHARNOCK
16. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE 1984 THAT DOCUMENTED THE EFFECTS OF A NUCLEAR STRIKE ON THE CITY OF SHEFFIELD?
“THREADS”
17. WHICH OF THESE FAMOUS SHEFFIELD PRODUCTS WAS PRODUCED FIRST – BASSETT’S LIQUORICE ALLSORTS, HENDERSON’S RELISH OR WARD’S BITTER?
WARD’S BITTER in 1868
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN HINCKLEY IN 1955, A PUPIL AT KING EDWARD VII SCHOOL, I WAS WORKING AS A PORTER IN A HOSPITAL WHEN I WAS INVITED TO JOIN MY FIRST BAND. FOLLOWING A NAME CHANGE THE BAND FOUND SUCCESS, HAVING THEIR FIRST No1 IN 1981. I HAVE ALSO COLLABORATED WITH OTHER MUSICIANS, HAVING A WORLDWIDE HIT WITH A 1984 SONG.
PHIL OAKEY
19. YOU WILL SEE A LOT OF PHLEGM AROUND THE STREETS OF SHEFFIELD, WHO OR WHAT IS IT?
PHLEGM IS A STREET ARTIST
20. WHICH OF THESE FAMOUS SPORTING TROPHIES WAS MADE IN SHEFFIELD – THE FA CUP, THE OPEN’S CLARET JUG OR ICE HOCKEY’S STANLEY CUP?
THE STANLEY CUP
21. HOW LONG IN INCHES IS A SUPERTRAM?
1370.079 INCHES
BONUS QUESTION
22. IN 1902 BRAMALL LANE STAGED ITS’ ONLY CRICKET TEST MATCH, WHAT WAS THE RESULT – AUSTRALIA WON, ENGLAND WON OR IT WAS A DRAW?
AUSTRALIA WON

#168444 by IAN B
Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:17 am
A slightly tougher offering from The Bridge's resident QM with two teams scoring 16/20.

01. NAME THE YEAR. FOO FIGHTERS’ FRONTMAN DAVE GROHL WAS BORN, BAND LEADER BILLY COTTON DIED AND CILLA BLACK MARRIED.
02. “IN PURSUIT OF GREATNESS” IS THE MOTTO OF WHICH MAJOR SPORTING EVENT?
THE WIMBLEDON TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIPS
03. WHICH IS THE MOST NORTHERLY CAPITAL CITY ON THE EUROPEAN MAINLAND?
HELSINKI
04. NAME THE TRIO IN PICTURE 3.
THE THREE STOOGES
05. THE ACRONYM ‘TASER’ STANDS FOR THOMAS A SWIFT’S WHAT?
ELECTRIC RIFLE
06. THE VENUE FOR PRINCE HARRY’S WEDDING WAS ANNOUNCED THIS WEEK, WHICH BUILDING IS TO BE USED?
ST GEORGE’S CHAPEL at WINDSOR CASTLE
07. WHICH FAMOUS MUSICIAN WAS THE FIRST PERSON TO DONATE THEIR INSTRUMENT TO THE HARD ROCK CAFE?
ERIC CLAPTON
08. IN THE CARD GAME CRIBBAGE HOW MANY HOLES ARE THERE ON A STANDARD BOARD?
09. PICTURE 2 GIVES CLUE TO THE IDENTITY OF WHICH COUNTRY?
MADAGASCAR
10. WHICH PLANET IS THE HOME OF DR WHO?
GALIFREY
11. ‘BOB THE PEST IN A AIR FARCE’ IS AN ANAGRAM OF THE TITLE OF WHICH FILM?
“PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN”
12. NAME THE YEAR. SPUTNIK 1, THE FIRST ARTIFICIAL SATELLITE FELL TO EARTH, ST CLARE WAS DECLARED THE PATRON SAINT OF TELEVISION AND THE US ARMY INDUCTED ELVIS PRESLEY INTO ITS’ RANKS.
13. PICTURE 3 GIVES CRYPTIC CLUES TO THE NAME OF WHICH SINGER AND WHICH OF THEIR SONGS?
DAVID BOWIE and “CHINA GIRL”
14. THE CITY OF MOSCOW HAS FIVE PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL CLUBS, NAME ANY TWO OF THEM.
CSKA, DYNAMO, LOKOMOTIV, SPARTAK and TORPEDO
15. WHICH TOWN IS THE ADMINISTRATIVE HEADQUARTERS OF THE COUNTY OF DORSET?
DORCHESTER
16. WHAT IS THE FIRST NAME OF THE FILM CHARACTER “CROCODILE” DUNDEE?
MICHAEL or MICK
17. WHAT SAYING DOES THE DINGBAT IN PICTURE 4 REPRESENT?
THIRD TIME LUCKY
18. WHO AM I? BORN IN BATH IN 1935, MY POOR PERFORMANCE AT SCHOOL LED ME TO ATTEND CATERING COLLEGE. I HONED MY CULINARY SKILLS BY DEMONSTRATING ELECTRIC OVENS BEFORE TAKING SEVERAL POSITIONS WITHIN THE CATERING INDUSTRY. I WROTE MY FIRST COOKERY BOOK IN 1970, BUT IT WAS ANOTHER 40 YEARS BEFORE I BECAME A TV REGULAR.
MARY BERRY
19. THE TELEVISION PROGRAMME “BLUE PLANET 2” IS AT THE CENTRE OF A
FAKERY STORM AFTER IT WAS ACCUSED OF PLANTING WHAT IN THE SEA – FAKE CORAL, PLASTIC BOTTLES OR RUBBER DUCKS?
RUBBER DUCKS
20. 80% OF THE MALE STATUES IN THE VATICAN GARDENS ARE MISSING WHAT?
THEIR PENIS
21. IN WHAT YEAR DID IT BECOME AN OFFENCE IN THE UK TO BE DRUNK IN
CHARGE OF A VEHICLE?

ULCKY
CULKY
LUCKY
#168466 by IAN B
Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:12 am
With the festive season fast approaching The Bridge had their first Christmas-themed quiz, which saw five teams score 15/20.

01. IN WHICH YEAR WERE THE UK’S TOP THREE CHRISTMAS SINGLES “WHEN A CHILD IS BORN” BY JOHNNY MATHIS, “UNDER THE MOON OF LOVE” BY SHOWADDYWADDY AND “MONEY, MONEY MONEY” BY ABBA?
02. BY WHAT NAME IS THE DESSERT ‘BUCHE DE NOEL’ KNOWN IN THE UK?
YULE LOG
03. ON TELEVISION WHICH SOAP COUPLE MARRIED ON BOXING DAY IN 1991?
SHARON WATTS and GRANT MITCHELL
04. WHAT IS THE FIRST CREATURE TO BE MENTIONED IN THE VERSE “TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS”?
A MOUSE
05. WHICH CHART-TOPPING SINGER TURNED ON LONDON’S OXFORD STREET LIGHTS THIS YEAR?
RITA ORA
06. FROM THE COVER OF THE 2001 CHRISTMAS No1 SINGLE, NAME THE COUPLE IN PICTURE 1.
NICOLE KIDMAN and ROBBIE WILLIAMS
07. ‘CASTANEA SATIVA’ IS THE LATIN NAME FOR THE FRUIT OF WHICH TREE, OFTEN EATEN AT CHRISTMAS?
CHESTNUT
08. NAME THE FILM IN PICTURE 2.
“LOVE ACTUALLY”
09. WHO WROTE “HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS”?
DR SEUSS
10. NAME THE YEAR. THE BEATLES’ FILM “MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR” MADE ITS’ SCREEN DEBUT ON BOXING DAY, SPIROGRAPH WAS VOTED TOY OF THE YEAR AND THE BEATLES’ HAD THEIR FOURTH CHRISTMAS No1 SINGLE.
11. “THE CHILD IS KING, THE CAROLLERS SING” IS THE SECOND LINE OF WHICH CHRISTMAS SONG?
“MISTLETOE AND WINE”
12. PICTURE 3 SHOWS A BOLO REI, A TRADITIONAL FESTIVE CAKE IN WHICH EUROPEAN COUNTRY?
PORTUGAL
13. IN THE 1996 “CLASSIC” CHRISTMAS FILM “SANTA WITH MUSCLES” WHO PLAYED THE TITLE CHARACTER?
HULK HOGAN
14. WHICH FAMOUS CHILDREN’S AUTHOR WROTE THE STORY “THE NIGHT THE TOYS CAME TO LIFE”?
ENID BLYTON
15. WHAT DOES THE DINGBAT IN PICTURE 4 REPRESENT?
MIDNIGHT MASS
16. “BRIGHTLY SHONE THE MOON THAT NIGHT” IS A LINE FROM WHICH CHRISTMAS CAROL?
“GOOD KING WENCLESLAS”
17. TO MAKE A DRINK ‘MULLED’ WHAT TWO THINGS MUST BE DONE TO IT?
SPICED and HEATED
18. WHAT WAS THE NAME OF SHREK’S 2007 CHRISTMAS SPECIAL?
“SHREK THE HALLS”
19. WHICH AUTHOR WROTE THE CLASSIC CHRISTMAS STORY “THE SNOWMAN”?
RAYMOND BRIGGS
20. A CUSTOMER AT A SHROPSHIRE BRANCH OF ASDA WAS SURPRISED TO BE ASKED FOR PROOF OF AGE WHEN SHE ATTEMPTED TO BUY WHAT?
MINCE PIES
21. PRODUCED IN 1992, HOW MUCH DID THE LARGEST BRUSSEL SPROUT EVER GROWN WEIGH IN OUNCES?
291 OUNCES
BONUS QUESTION
22. IN DICKENS’ “A CHRISTMAS CAROL” WHICH WAS THE SECOND GHOST TO VISIT EBENEZER SCROOGE?
GHOST OF CHRISTMAS PAST

NIGMASSHT
#168507 by IAN B
Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:25 pm
Looking back I first started posting on here nearly 10 years, partly because I'm quite proud of my quizzes, which I spend a lot of time researching and writing, and partly as a resource for anyone who wants to "borrow" them, which I know people do as I've been in two pubs in far flung corners of the UK who've used them question for question (I didn't cheat and take part.....ok, I did once :-D ).

In that time I've seen two of my pub venues close down, victims of the recession, and another mysteriously decided to let me go, but every time another venue has been keen to take me on and I'm currently happily hosting at The New Bridge Inn in Wadsley Bridge, Sheffield.

Initially I posted them on here as a weekly competition, but, as site membership dwindled and time constraints hindered my efforts, I've recently published then just for fun and have received messages thanking me for my efforts.

However, I'm becoming increasingly frustrated as Quiz-Zone becomes swamped with spam and genuine quizzes are pushed down the board by posts about bitcoins, crypto-currencies and things that, without knowing the cyrillic alphabet, I've no comprehension of.

So it's time to say goodbye!!

For those of you who have followed my quizzes, be it religiously or sporadically, you can now find them on Facebook at "The Man in Black's Quiz Emporium".

And for those of you posting spam, if you start posting on there, to quote Liam Neeson "I will look for you, I will find you....." ;-)

#168518 by Tallscot
Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:35 pm
Ian - as someone who has derived a lot of pleasure from your quizzes over the years, may I wish you the best of luck in all your endeavours, both current and those still to come.