• Topic Title

• Topic description
Got a quiz question that's driving you crazy because you don't know the answer? Post it here and see if anyone else can put you out of your misery!

Moderators: playgirl, JUS, rodbox

#302 by Badger
Sun May 01, 2005 10:22 am
There a thousands of ex-pat Liverpudlians here in Australia and none can tell me what was the Aintree Iron (as in the sixties song by the Scaffold)

Can anybody help?

Lots of theories but I think only Mike McCartney knows and he is not telling!!

#306 by bairn
Mon May 02, 2005 9:56 am
Had a look on google, but can't find anything definite. There are a few which suggest that it was the footballer Tommy Smith's nickname, but I couldn't see this being confirmed anywhere.

#325 by danny36
Wed May 04, 2005 11:18 am
only just read this question so im abit out of date :oops: but the lyrics were apparently a reference to brian epstein the man who discovered the beatles.

Dan :)

#1020 by Guest
Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:26 pm
it was a railway turntable which would be used to turn locos as there was no loop line at aintree

#1036 by Badger
Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:56 pm
No-one has a definitive and unchallengeable answer it appears

Thanks guys for your help anyway.

#1572 by Guest
Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:04 am
Brian Epstein

From rhyming slang

Iron hoof.....poof

#1718 by Bigal
Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:34 pm
The pub called the Black Bull in Walton, Liverpool has long been known as the "Aintree iron". Since we have a song by Liverpool based people it might be the item referred to in the song. :?: :?:

#7072 by Alfie W
Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:28 pm
Aintree - area of Liverpool
'Iron' - cockney rhyming slang meaning gay.
It's about Brian Epstein!

#7298 by Jim R.
Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:38 am
Someone help me out here. How does IRON become rhyming slang for GAY?

#9329 by Guest
Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:41 am
IRON HOOF- ..........POOF!

#10259 by Guest
Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:26 pm
OK, being new to this site I have just been browsing the site and I came across this question:

As far as I understood it was down to World War II and for the war effort everybody had to provide as much iron as possible - and at Aintree, (the racecourse) the railings were made of iron so the 'Aintree Iron' was the term given to the 'donation' of the racecourse.
#90748 by A.L.Guzzler
Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:35 pm
OK, Also being new to this site I have just been browsing the site and I came across this question:

The answer is (IMHO): The Aintree iron was a turntable for turning steamtrains around so that they could complete their return journey pointing forwards.

:) See below... Despite being told this over many years... I could also be wrong. :(

I'll get me coat! :lol:
Last edited by A.L.Guzzler on Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#90749 by A.L.Guzzler
Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:12 pm
I have also now noted Mike McCartney's letter to The Guardian which states:

AS I actually wrote "Thank U very much for the Aintree Iron" for Scaffold, I trust that I'm the best judge as to the authenticity of your readers' answers. Stephen Bold says that he once heard me define the Aintree Iron as "iron hoof: poof", ie Brian Epstein, "a resident of Aintree". I suggest he buys a hearing aid! I have never commented on Brian's sexuality, and I could never have said that he was a resident of Aintree, as he didn't live there. As for Neil Burgess, who says the Iron was a railway "gravitational marshalling yard" . . . what a load of grid iron! Sorry, Neil, you're light aeons away. As it's now coming up to 30 years since I created this mischievous little monster, I'd like to thank U all very much for your continuing curiosity, and look forward to the next 30 years of miles-off guesswork.
#168766 by johncresswellplant
Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:14 pm
Someone once said "The Aintree Iron" referred to the railings from Aintree Racecourse being melted down for weapons during World War 2