• Topic Title

• Topic description
Funniest wrong answers? Quizzes on the TV? Anything quiz related that doesn't fit into the categories above can be discussed here.

Moderators: playgirl, JUS, rodbox

#165149 by Breezer
Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:58 pm
Hi All, hope someone can help with a tricky legal question. I go to a weekly quiz in a private social club which draws a large crowd. We each put down a pound and the prizes are cash sums. Unfortunately there is a team that cheats by using a phone. They usually come first and collect the cash prize. I pointed this out to the quiz master who simply shrugged and told me that there is nothing he can do about it. My point is that once we hand over our admission fee, and it is accepted, do we have a contract? We put down our money and expect a straight quiz and if it is pointed out that this is not the case does the quiz master have a legal obligation to take action against the cheat? Or, can nothing be done?
#165374 by Red Devil 66
Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:44 am
This is a tricky one indeed. As you are competing in a competition for money, the competition rules apply and i would have thought only enforceable by the organisers. I can see his predicament: He's there as a volunteer presumably, he doesn't want any aggro and the licensee wants the bar takings.
I'm not sure there's any legal precedent in this and do you really want to go down that road? After all it's meant to be a fun thing.
Either suggest some cheat proof questions, anangrams, cryptic,connecction questions, a music round with less than 10 secs of an intro...or boycott it and find another! :D
#165464 by Breezer
Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:52 pm
Thanks Red Devil 66. I guess I'll just have to boycott it. Shame really, I've been going for over ten years and the cheat arrived just 3 months ago. I go to another quiz and the same thing is happening. Only 4 teams and the other three use a phone now. One of my friends has just bought a phone jammer and we're going to try it out for the first time tomorrow. Illegal I know. I've been going to quizzes for the past 30 years and am damned good at them. But you can't win against Google.
#165727 by Red Devil 66
Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:35 am
I stopped going to about 3 pub quizzes due to cheating and the licensee couldn't give a shit to be honest, as long as he got his bar takings!
I agree with you re beating Google but there are some ways to beat cheats.
The best quiz I go to has pretty big cash jackpot and the only way you can win it is if the top team at the end of the quiz nominates 2 quizzers to come up to the front and they choose a set of questions from a number of sealed envelopes.
The questions are difficult but that's the whole point. The quizzers only have themselves to answer;no phones,no help form anyone else.
Another one had a Play Your Cards Right type final round.Again with the nominated quizzers at the front so no cheating possible.
For a music round, if you use cover versions there is no App that can recognise it.Playing tracks backwards also works. Next line questions usually work too.
Also approach a pub to see if you can organise your own one. Then you set the rules and questions
Hope you have fun in the future.
#165898 by IAN B
Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:55 pm
The curse of the quizmaster.
I've been running quizzes independently for a number of pubs over the past 15+ years and have encountered this problem everywhere I've been.
Did once consider the phone blocker option til I found they were illegal, then just took to embarrassing the guilty parties in front of everyone, did lose a few customers, but the genuine ones appreciated it.
More recently I've used a snakes 'n' ladders quiz, where every team gets a uniquely designed game board, they receive a score for correct answers, but that could easily see them sliding down a snake, so no benefit in cheating.
First prize goes to the first team to complete the board or get furthest along it.
It's proved extremely popular than a straight "winner takes all" quiz.
#166252 by Breezer
Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:23 am
Thanks Ian B, unfortunately our quiz master is devoid of all imagination. I did, however, use the phone jammer last night for the first time in our other, smaller, quiz. It was very funny. The people looked around quizzically, pun intended. They moved around, shook their phones. One even went to the bar and took a picture of the wifi code and re-entered it into his phone. A couple of them threw in the towel and went home early. We won comfortably. We should have gotten an extra point as the question was ''What's the most commonly spoken language in the world?'' We wrote Mandarin but were marked wrong as it ''should have been Chinese.'' That's the type of quiz it is. We'll keep using the jammer even though it's illegal. Name and address withheld. Lol.
#166515 by IAN B
Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:36 am
Breezer wrote: our quiz master is devoid of all imagination.

Quite often the case when the pub just buys in a quiz and lets the landlord/manager/bar staff read it out.
I began as a customer (who regularly won the quiz) and was then asked to write them, then present them (despite no obvious mic skills), must be doing something right as I'm still producing them (see the general forum The Railway Quiz)
And I've have wanted Mandarin and probably wouldn't have accepted Chinese.....unless they bribed me with cider!! :-D
#166523 by tonto
Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:02 pm
Breezer, any chance you could give me the make/model/cost of the "jammer".

#166528 by Breezer
Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:49 pm
Tonto, as I said it's a fellow team member who bought it. I think it was this one as the price is the same.
199 euros is a bit steep for me to stop cheats, but my mate didn't seem to mind. The first prize is 30 quid worth of drinks vouchers. So he should make his money back in nearly two months.
#166530 by tonto
Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:29 pm
Thanks for that Breezer, will look into getting one. Bloody cheats!
#167614 by sscotsman
Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:08 pm
A pub quiz I frequent in Glasgow has a simple idea.

The quizmaster asks questions in short rounds - only 6 questions.

He asks q1, repeats it and then immediately moves on to q2, repeats it etc.

After q6 is repeated, you have 60 seconds to get your answers handed in - NO EXCEPTIONS.

after each round there is a break where all the kiddies can catch up with all that they have missed in the previous 4 minutes.

It works.